Lively HSA offers first dollar investing

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
jhfenton

Re: New HSA provider Lively offers investments for $30/yr fee

Post by jhfenton »

I've exchanged numerous emails with Lively support. I've verified the ACH microdeposits, and my account is live. I e-signed the trustee-to-trustee transfer form that they filled out with information I gave them. And they faxed it to my current custodian.

There's a separate step to create the linked TD Ameritrade brokerage account, but I don't want to do that until my HSA money is at least on the way. (I don't know when they start charging the $2.50/month.)

You can tell that they are still a small operation at this point, and that they're early in the game, but I like the feel and focus. They are very easy to work with. There's a chance they don't make it, but at this point, that's possible with a lot of the HSA investment providers. Many of them could decide to exit the market tomorrow.

(One note: they do not yet have the website set up to handle inbound ACH rollovers automatically. You have to talk to them and have them code it correctly on the back end. But I decided to do the trustee-to-trustee transfer, both to see how long it takes, and to avoid any chance of a $45K mistake by either custodian. I'm going to just shift $43K in bond funds to equities tomorrow to restore my allocation to baseline while the check is in the mail. If it takes a month, I lose $100 or less in bond yield.)
Topic Author
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

^ I am watching with interest to see how Lively turns out. I'm sure as a startup, Lively can and would respond very quickly to any feedback for improvement.

I will still stick with Saturna for now. My timing for starting a HSA account was horrible because I mailed in the application to Saturna the week before I learnt about Lively. So I don't get a chance to decide between the two. In any case, I am planning to make one transaction a year at Saturna, so it would still be cheaper than Lively.
My signature has been deleted.
adman_c

Post by adman_c »

I just opened an account with Lively after learning that Alliant Credit Union, my current HSA provider, was getting out of the HSA game. So far I am impressed. I exchanged some email questions with Shobin before setting up my account, and I was satisfied with the answers, so I decided to move my small (<$4k) balance to Lively. I opened the account and initiated a trustee-to-trustee transfer entirely online, which is a big improvement over other HSAs as far as I'm concerned. Once my funds arrive, I'll put them into the TD Ameritrade brokerage and I can report back to this thread.

-Adam
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

I also just opened a Lively account 5 minutes ago and will do a trustee-to-trustee transfer of $25k from Alliant CU. So far, the on-boarding process was fairly painless and entirely online. The post-signup communication is a little lacking. While I opt'ed for the 2 micro deposits to link my CU account, it didn't really explain that or re-confirm that the deposits were actually initiated. Same with the T2T transfer - it took my info, but no "next steps" or anything. I'm guessing a person will look at my enrollment and send an email to me once validated.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

killjoy2012 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:38 am I also just opened a Lively account 5 minutes ago and will do a trustee-to-trustee transfer of $25k from Alliant CU. So far, the on-boarding process was fairly painless and entirely online. The post-signup communication is a little lacking. While I opt'ed for the 2 micro deposits to link my CU account, it didn't really explain that or re-confirm that the deposits were actually initiated. Same with the T2T transfer - it took my info, but no "next steps" or anything. I'm guessing a person will look at my enrollment and send an email to me once validated.
Some of their account setup processes are still handled by manual email. You'll get an email on Monday or Tuesday telling you to check for the microdeposits and to respond by email with the amounts.

They still haven't reclaimed the micro-deposits from my checking, so I'm nearly two quarters in the green at this point. :wink:
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Does your money go direct from your current HSA to Choice Financial, or does Lively have custody of it?
- If it goes direct to Choice Financial, isn't your money safe since they are FDIC insured?
- If it does not go direct, I guess the time Lively has it is when you are at risk.

- Once the money is either at Choice Financial or TDA, do you logon to one of those websites to see your balance, or is it through a Lively portal?
- If it is through a Lively portal, how can you confirm the money is actually where they say it is?
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

Saving$ wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:28 pm Does your money go direct from your current HSA to Choice Financial, or does Lively have custody of it?
- If it goes direct to Choice Financial, isn't your money safe since they are FDIC insured?
- If it does not go direct, I guess the time Lively has it is when you are at risk.

- Once the money is either at Choice Financial or TDA, do you logon to one of those websites to see your balance, or is it through a Lively portal?
- If it is through a Lively portal, how can you confirm the money is actually where they say it is?
Why don't you ask in the chat on https://livelyme.com/ and see what they say? and share with the board what you find out?
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

Saving$ wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:28 pm Does your money go direct from your current HSA to Choice Financial, or does Lively have custody of it?

My HSA transfer form directed my current/former custodian to send the money directly to Choice Financial in San Francisco. If you read the HSA agreement, Choice Financial is the bank custodian for Lively. They will hold the cash. But, I do not believe you will have a Choice Financial portal to see your money. Your cash balance will show on the Lively portal. (My cash balance will always be $0 anyway.)

I haven't set up my TD Ameritrade account yet, since they start charging the $2.50/month (daily pro rata) once you do, but you set it up through a link to TD Ameritrade and TD Ameritrade holds your invested assets (just as TD Ameritrade does with HSA Bank and others). You will see all of your assets on the TD Ameritrade site and make your trades there.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

My transfer check from my current/former custodian is supposed to be in the mail today. They received the transfer form Friday. Monday was a bank holiday. Yesterday, my balance dropped to $0 with the transfer pending.

I did have to call my current custodian because they marked the account as being closed and charged me the $25 closing fee. They're going to credit the $25 fee back. Next time I'll do a partial transfer and leave $5 behind.

3 days USPS first class mail from today would be Saturday/Monday. So Monday is the first day, the money could show up at Lively. (I'm guessing it'll be Tuesday.) I plan to set up the TD Ameritrade account on Friday, because it supposedly takes a day to become active.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

letsgobobby wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:01 am
indexfundfan wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:32 pm In my search for a HSA provider, I assign a "fee" value of $40 per year for each thousand that cannot be invested. $2k that cannot be invested is like a fee of $80 / year.
That's pretty generous. I would just think of the $1000 cash requirement in my HSA as part of my emergency fund and lower my bank account balance my that same $1000.
I think assigning a 4% per year fee to the cash drag is a bit high. I mentally "charged" it a reasonable bond yield, so about 2% net, because it supplanted what would otherwise be $2,000 in bonds in my other retirement accounts.

The problem I had with considering the $2,000 cash drag in my current/former HSA as part of my emergency fund was that my custodian would immediately (i.e. the next day) sell invested assets to restore any cash withdrawn from the $2,000 minimum. So I couldn't really withdraw the cash. Any withdrawals came from the investments.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

Since my HSA rollover could arrive at Lively as early as this weekend, I clicked through the link on Lively to set up my TD Ameritrade account. The process was painless. All of my account information was automatically populated. I just had to answer the standard brokerage questions, accept all of TD Ameritrade's agreements, and set my TD Ameritrade username and password. (TD Ameritrade still limits passwords to 15 characters! :oops: ) The TD Ameritrade account was created immediately, and I was able to log into it directly. The Lively website says that it can take up to one business day for the link to be set up from the Lively side (which is why I initiated it today). They start charging the $2.50/month immediately (daily pro rata), but I'm willing to pay for an extra few days (at 8 cents per day) to make sure the account is ready when my money arrives. (And they still haven't reclaimed the test deposits they made to my checking account, which will cover about 6 days. :P )

I also received my Lively debit card last night at home. I immediately cut it into tiny little pieces and scattered it into garbage cans at home and at work.
GuineaPig

Post by GuineaPig »

jhfenton wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:19 am Since my HSA rollover could arrive at Lively as early as this weekend, I clicked through the link on Lively to set up my TD Ameritrade account. The process was painless. All of my account information was automatically populated. I just had to answer the standard brokerage questions, accept all of TD Ameritrade's agreements, and set my TD Ameritrade username and password. (TD Ameritrade still limits passwords to 15 characters! :oops: ) The TD Ameritrade account was created immediately, and I was able to log into it directly. The Lively website says that it can take up to one business day for the link to be set up from the Lively side (which is why I initiated it today). They start charging the $2.50/month immediately (daily pro rata), but I'm willing to pay for an extra few days (at 8 cents per day) to make sure the account is ready when my money arrives. (And they still haven't reclaimed the test deposits they made to my checking account, which will cover about 6 days. :P )

I also received my Lively debit card last night at home. I immediately cut it into tiny little pieces and scattered it into garbage cans at home and at work.
My HSA transfer just arrived at Lively (though the money is still marked as pending). I also plan to set up with TD Ameritrade soon.

I have a question for you regarding the $2.50 a month: you earlier said, "One additional tidbit with Lively: they take the $2.50/month investment fee from your linked bank account not your HSA cash account or your TD Ameritrade investment account."

So, does that mean that at the end of the month, they'll take the pro-rated amount for October from your linked non-HSA bank account?
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

GuineaPig wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:32 am My HSA transfer just arrived at Lively (though the money is still marked as pending). I also plan to set up with TD Ameritrade soon.

I have a question for you regarding the $2.50 a month: you earlier said, "One additional tidbit with Lively: they take the $2.50/month investment fee from your linked bank account not your HSA cash account or your TD Ameritrade investment account."

So, does that mean that at the end of the month, they'll take the pro-rated amount for October from your linked non-HSA bank account?
Yay for your money arriving! :beer

I don't know the timing of the deduction. I didn't ask that specifically. I assume it would be around the end of the month. My old custodian charges it the first business day of the following month.

I just asked (1) whether we had to link a bank account: Yes, they use it to deduct the $2.50/month investment fee. And (2) whether I should set up the TD Ameritrade account immediately or wait until the money was about to arrive: Wait, because they pro-rate the $2.50/month for the month so they can keep it on a calendar basis.
stockfuturist

Post by stockfuturist »

Quick update on my situation. Apologies if this was covered already - didn't have time to read through responses.

Account setup was easy but unfortuantely they are NOT ACCEPTING contributions through payroll deductions from my employer (and most likely most employers then). They're goal is to eventually allow that, but for now it's direct deposit through a few employees paying for their service or transfer from existing HSA (or post-tax contributions).

Left account open but staying with SelectAccount HSA for now, b/c the minimal difference in expenses isn't worth the hassle of two active accounts.

Customer service responsiveness was great and the website is nice...
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

stockfuturist wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:42 pm Left account open but staying with SelectAccount HSA for now, b/c the minimal difference in expenses isn't worth the hassle of two active accounts.
I understand that. :beer I've been grumbling about the growing fees in my employer-sponsored HSA for two years. Twice, I had even downloaded all of the Saturna forms. But in the end, I always decided that it wasn't worth the hassle to juggle two accounts to save $20-50 per year (especially since Saturna came with its own set of annoyances). And my old HSA did have a few Vanguard Admiral shares to choose from.

But my HSA doubled its asset-based investment fee April 1, 2017 (from 10 bp to 20 bp), doubling my fees to more than $100, and Lively came along with fewer hassles than Saturna. I'll still have money going into my old HSA biweekly, but I won't be paying the $2/month + 20 bp.
kevinko

Post by kevinko »

I'm strongly considering Lively for an investable HSA. Transfer looks simple enough and there are no transfer fees from my current HSA provider. Link my bank account and use TD Ameritrade to pick from one of the ETF Vanguard Small Caps for starters. No automatic payroll deduction is a drawback but it gives me some flexibility as well. I don't see any fees for all this other than the $2.50 monthly.

The clean website is a nice bonus too. Is there anything I'm missing here?
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

kevinko wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:27 pm The clean website is a nice bonus too. Is there anything I'm missing here?
The only downside I see is the non-trivial chance that their current business model doesn't work. Maybe fees go up. Maybe they go under.

But that would just be an inconvenience. Our assets will be safe at Choice Bank and/or TD Ameritrade. We'll just have to move them again.

Otherwise, I don't see a downside, which is why I'm moving my HSA money.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

I received an email this morning from Lively that my investment link to TD Ameritrade was set up. In the account online, it shows my HSA balance ($0) and my investment balance ($0), and has a very simple interface to Transfer or Withdraw funds. There is a "My Positions" tab and an "Activity" tab, so it appears that it will pull over positions and transaction info from TD Ameritrade.

The only negative I see is that it says that transfers are "Estimated to arrive in 2 business days". Instantaneous would be best. Overnight would be reasonable. I'm hoping two days is just under-promising.
John Laurens

Post by John Laurens »

I am a TDA customer. (HSA, taxable,2 solo 401ks, 2 Roth IRAs). I made a large deposit to my taxable account earlier in the week. When I do this my rep usually calls me, he did. I asked him specifically about rumors of them dropping Vanguard ETF’s commission free. He confirmed that “most of them would be rotating out” in November. I told him this would be a problem for me because I exclusively use VTI, VEA, VWO, BND. I probably need to start a thread so my fellow TDA bogleheads can voice their displeasure. He told me they were going to expand to 200 commission free etfs. I told him if they were higher cost etfs (read Pay for play at TDA) I wasn’t interested.

Regards,
John
kevinko

Post by kevinko »

John Laurens wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:22 pmHe confirmed that “most of them would be rotating out”
Thank you for that info. This breaks the deal for me. The Vanguard ETFs were the clincher.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

kevinko wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:43 pm
John Laurens wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:22 pmHe confirmed that “most of them would be rotating out”
Thank you for that info. This breaks the deal for me. The Vanguard ETFs were the clincher.
It would definitely cause me to wait and see if my money weren't already on the way. The best case scenario is that they're going to swap in much of the iShares suite of low-cost ETFs. They're already have some iShares on the list, but they're an odd lot and include a lot of bond funds. If I have to swap out VWO for IEMG, both at 14 bp, I won't lose any sleep. (You're basically trading Chinese A shares for South Korea.) But that is the best case scenario.

Their terms promise 30 days advance notice on dropping any funds from the list, so there will be time to make swaps in an HSA before commissions reappear on any Vanguard funds they drop.
Topic Author
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

Looks like TDAM decided that they don't make any money offering Vanguard ETFs. With iShares, I think they might get some kickback from Blackrock.
GuineaPig

Post by GuineaPig »

indexfundfan wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:54 pm Looks like TDAM decided that they don't make any money offering Vanguard ETFs. With iShares, I think they might get some kickback from Blackrock.
Personally, for the purposes of where to house an HSA, I don't think this really changes anything for me. I recall that SelectAccount uses Schwab with its brokerage option. Beyond that, I think most of the other HSA full brokerage options are using TD Ameritrade. There just aren't many good HSA options and even if TD Ameritrade's ETF options change, I don't think it changes the fact that Lively seems to be one of the best HSA accounts.

Now, if I had my main brokerage account or retirement account at TD Ameritrade, I might be more concerned. But I don't.
kevinko

Post by kevinko »

jhfenton wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:40 pmIf I have to swap out VWO for IEMG, both at 14 bp, I won't lose any sleep.
I'm talking myself back into it. Some of TDAs iShares offerings look like acceptable enough alternatives to Vanguard. Maybe I can't find the perfect HSA custodian because there isn't one.
danaht

Post by danaht »

I am staying with HSA Bank for now. HSA Bank will not charge any fees as long as you leave ~$5500 in their savings account. The rest of the money can be invested in TD Ameritrade - just like Lively. I treat the $5500 as part of my emergency savings - so I am OK with not investing that. I don't know if I can switch HSA accounts anyway - since I can no longer contribute to a HSA going forward (Humana exited the private market place here, and cancelled my HSA insurance). For now - I decided to take a break from the high premium costs of the individual marketplace and am now a health care sharing ministry member instead. Hopefully with the new executive orders - alternative (short term, or association) individual HSA qualified plans will become available and more affordable - and I'll be able to contribute again!
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

jhfenton wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:47 pm
stockfuturist wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:42 pm Left account open but staying with SelectAccount HSA for now, b/c the minimal difference in expenses isn't worth the hassle of two active accounts.
I understand that. :beer I've been grumbling about the growing fees in my employer-sponsored HSA for two years. Twice, I had even downloaded all of the Saturna forms. But in the end, I always decided that it wasn't worth the hassle to juggle two accounts to save $20-50 per year (especially since Saturna came with its own set of annoyances). And my old HSA did have a few Vanguard Admiral shares to choose from.

But my HSA doubled its asset-based investment fee April 1, 2017 (from 10 bp to 20 bp), doubling my fees to more than $100, and Lively came along with fewer hassles than Saturna. I'll still have money going into my old HSA biweekly, but I won't be paying the $2/month + 20 bp.
Would you be kind enough to elaborate on what the Saturna annoyance may be? I need to switch and am trying to decide between Saturna and Lively.
I put money in my HSA once a year, and have to date not spent a cent from it. Due to the tax advantage, I really need to turn it into a buy and hold investment account rather than the savings account it was in at Alliant.

Below is my comparison so far, with a few missing data points....

History:
+ Saturna in business since 2005
- Lively is relatively new

Cost:
+ Saturna $15/year w/ one purchase/year or $25/year inactive acct fee;
- Lively $30/year but could trade more if needed

Savings acct option:
? Saturna ?;
+ Lively: Current interest rate 0.55% (Alliant's last HSA rate was 0.65%)

Brokerage Option:
Saturna: Via Saturna;
Lively: Via TD Ameritrade

Best BH investment option:
Saturna - not sure
Lively: Vanguard ETF's, but may soon no longer be available via TD Ameritrade; but may be replace with IShares which have equally low ER's

Working with them
- Saturna: Unspecified hassle
+ Lively: reportedly very simple

Account Closing Fee
- Saturna: $75
- Lively: Currently no fees.
kevinko

Post by kevinko »

It isn't easy putting together a core four via the commission-free ETF offerings from TD Ameritrade if I exclude Vanguard. I got halfway there with IVV (S&P tracker) and AGG (US bonds) so far. Dirt cheap, too (0.04 and 0.06 respectively).
mx711yam

Post by mx711yam »

Saving$ wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:01 pm
jhfenton wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:47 pm

Would you be kind enough to elaborate on what the Saturna annoyance may be? I need to switch and am trying to decide between Saturna and Lively.
I put money in my HSA once a year, and have to date not spent a cent from it. Due to the tax advantage, I really need to turn it into a buy and hold investment account rather than the savings account it was in at Alliant.

Below is my comparison so far, with a few missing data points....

History:
+ Saturna in business since 2005
- Lively is relatively new

Cost:
+ Saturna $15/year w/ one purchase/year or $25/year inactive acct fee;
- Lively $30/year but could trade more if needed

Savings acct option:
? Saturna ?;
+ Lively: Current interest rate 0.55% (Alliant's last HSA rate was 0.65%)

Brokerage Option:
Saturna: Via Saturna;
Lively: Via TD Ameritrade

Best BH investment option:
Saturna - not sure
Lively: Vanguard ETF's, but may soon no longer be available via TD Ameritrade; but may be replace with IShares which have equally low ER's

Working with them
- Saturna: Unspecified hassle
+ Lively: reportedly very simple

Account Closing Fee
- Saturna: $75
- Lively: Currently no fees.

I have Saturna and like it. I only buy once a year though.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

TDA has had very good commission free ETF choices for a while now. I hope they don't screw it up. I'm also a customer at ETrade and their list is much worse.
Topic Author
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

Saving$ wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:01 pm Would you be kind enough to elaborate on what the Saturna annoyance may be? I need to switch and am trying to decide between Saturna and Lively.
I recently started an account with Saturna. If only you invest once a year, Saturna is really the cheapest.

Some random notes about Saturna

* The paper application, which you have to snail mail in, is long. The stack of application forms is like 30 pages long.
* The online trading platform is basic but works. I don't see the ability to submit a funding request online -- I think you have to call in for that or mail in a paper check.
* The platform is mostly for investing your HSA only. I did not notice an easy way for you to get reimbursed for your healthcare spending (but then again, I never did investigate this thoroughly).
* Use an ETF since the commission is lower than buying a Vanguard mutual fund.
* Buying an ETF that distributes its dividends only once a year would avoid un-invested quarterly dividends (unless you pay extra to have dividends re-invested every quarter). Consider using Schwab's international ETFs like SCHE and SCHF, which currently only distribute their dividends once at the end of the year.
Topic Author
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

Oh, on the Saturna closing fee -- I believe you can avoid it if you take the distribution and then roll it over to the next HSA custodian. So that is not an issue for me if I want to move out.
karpems

Post by karpems »

Is Lively computable with quicken?
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

Saving$ wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:01 pm Would you be kind enough to elaborate on what the Saturna annoyance may be? I need to switch and am trying to decide between Saturna and Lively.
I've never actually used Saturna, but both times I downloaded the multiple forms I needed to fill out and mail in, I just imagined what a pain it would be to deal with a company like this. Paper forms. A canceled check. Postage.

Beyond that, I didn't like the nickel and diming on their fee schedule. A fee for reinvesting ETF dividends? I've never seen that anywhere else. And the fees they charge for doing anything would greatly reduce the flexibility of the account. If my wife or I switched jobs and got a new 401(k) with new investment options and we needed to restructure where we held what in our portfolio there'd be a commission to make the switch.

And as a general rule, I don't sign up with companies that charge excessive account transfer/closure fees. That tells me a lot about how they treat customers.

Considering I already had access to a few Vanguard Admiral shares at my employer-sponsored HSA and until recently was paying $24 + 10 bp/year ($60 per year a year ago), I wasn't sufficiently motivated to switch. When they raised the asset fee to 20 bp/year, it was suddenly more motivating paying over $115 per year.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

kevinko wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:51 pm It isn't easy putting together a core four via the commission-free ETF offerings from TD Ameritrade if I exclude Vanguard. I got halfway there with IVV (S&P tracker) and AGG (US bonds) so far. Dirt cheap, too (0.04 and 0.06 respectively).
They definitely don't have a complete iShares lineup yet. If they're really going to dump Vanguard, I'm hoping the new line-up will look something like the free iShares lineup on Fidelity with 70 ETFs:

https://www.fidelity.com/etfs/ishares

With that list, you could make a complete three-fund, four-fund, or slice-and-dice portfolio with iShares.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

karpems wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:18 am Is Lively computable with quicken?
I don't see anything in the Lively website that hints at downloading transactions, and I'd be surprised if they support it on the back end at this point. Doing a site search for Quicken found nothing.

You should send them an email at support@livelyme.com and ask.

The linked TD Ameritrade account should support Quicken, though. It would just be the cash account that you'd have to do manually.
Eric

Post by Eric »

I just asked TD Ameritrade about the timing of the change to their ETF lineup, and got this response:
TD Ameritrade wrote:I show that we expect to expand our line-up of commission free ETFs on starting on October 17. At that time, we plan to expand the program to include 296 ETFs. Starting on that date, you should have an access to the full list of new participating ETFs on our Web site.
So, check back in two days.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

From the other thread, discussing the changes to TD Ameritrade's commission-free ETF changes:

TD Ameritrade Drops Vanguard

The list of new ETF providers is not promising, but the key will be whether they have they a few key core iShares ETFs. It does look like they're going pay-to-play, so I'm not holding my breath.
themicah

Post by themicah »

Regarding the TDAM free ETF list changes...

For those who do long-term dollar cost averaging in their HSA, TDAM also lets you set up a recurring purchase of Vanguard mutual funds in these self-directed investment accounts. I think you may need to pay a commission ($25 in my Elements CU-linked TDAM self-directed HSA account) to establish an initial position in the mutual fund, but once you have some shares in a fund, you can set up and make changes to your recurring investments in that fund without any additional commission (and you may be able to avoid the commission altogether if you set up the recurring transaction from the very beginning--I'm not sure about that).

You can also get Vanguard Admiral Shares through TDAM even if you can't find the ticker on their website. I don't recall the details as it was a few years ago that I set it up, but I think you have to call and ask. They may also be able to waive minimum investment requirements for Admiral Shares (again, I don't recall the details). Come to think of it, I should ask if they'll convert me to Institutional Shares without a minimum balance, too...
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

I received an email from Lively support late this afternoon that my trustee-to-trustee transfer check arrived today and had been credited to my account. They said it would show as pending now and would post this evening.

I should be able to transfer it to the TD Ameritrade account tomorrow and then invest it on Wednesday or Thursday, depending on how quickly that transfer goes. The Lively website says two days, but I'm hoping that they're under-promising.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

My HSA money is in my TD Ameritrade account this morning and ready to invest. So in this case, at least, it only took one business day.

Edited to add: I persuaded TD Ameritrade to give me three free trades in my HSA. They were reluctant, but I sweet-talked them. It took three messages through their message system, but they offered them "as a one-time courtesy", good for 60 days. I used two this morning, and I will just let the third expire.

Thus ends my HSA rollover adventure. :beer It took less than two weeks beginning to end.
GridironGems

Post by GridironGems »

What are you guys going to put your HSA money in TD Ameritrade into?

iShares Core S&P Total U.S. Stock Market ETF - ITOT looks like it could be an option at 0.03% ER
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

GridironGems wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:43 pm What are you guys going to put your HSA money in TD Ameritrade into?

iShares Core S&P Total U.S. Stock Market ETF - ITOT looks like it could be an option at 0.03% ER
I would look at the new commission-free list, particularly the new core SPDR Portfolio funds. The ITOT equivalent is SPTM, also at 3 bp.

There are 15 funds in the new SPDR Portfolio family: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... a-Low-Cost

They all had expense cuts last week and most had ticker and name changes.

Most of the 296 funds on the TD Ameritrade commission-free list are garbage, but there are probably a few dozen worth considering. Any other asset class you'd be interested in besides total market?
GridironGems

Post by GridironGems »

jhfenton wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:59 pm
GridironGems wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:43 pm What are you guys going to put your HSA money in TD Ameritrade into?

I would look at the new commission-free list, particularly the new core SPDR Portfolio funds. The ITOT equivalent is SPTM, also at 3 bp.

There are 15 funds in the new SPDR Portfolio family: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... a-Low-Cost

They all had expense cuts last week and most had ticker and name changes.

Most of the 296 funds on the TD Ameritrade commission-free list are garbage, but there are probably a few dozen worth considering. Any other asset class you'd be interested in besides total market?
I have my Roth IRA in Vanguard Target Retirement Fund 2050. So I'd be interested in target date funds, life strategy, wellington, etc

Wellington is not available on TD Ameritrade as it says not available and closed to new investors
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

GridironGems wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:07 pm I have my Roth IRA in Vanguard Target Retirement Fund 2050. So I'd be interested in target date funds, life strategy, wellington, etc

Wellington is not available on TD Ameritrade as it says not available and closed to new investors
AOA iShares Core Aggressive Allocation is on the commission-free ETF list at 0.25% ER. It's a fixed-allocation fund--or close to fixed, it doesn't have a glide path--that is currently 82.5/17.5% equities/fixed income with close to 48% of the equities in international. It has some emerging markets, but it's market weight or a little lower.

The other allocation ETFs available commission-free are more expensive and less attractive.

You can buy most non-Admiral share Vanguard mutual funds at TD Ameritrade, including Target Retirement 2050, but you'll pay a $25 mutual fund commission. I believe Wellington is closed to new purchasers at most non-Vanguard brokerages.

I did a quick search, and I didn't see any attractive target retirement style mutual funds on the no-transaction fee mutual funds list.

The single-asset class SPDR Portfolio ETFs are definitely the cheapest way to go, but you would have to balance them with the rest of your portfolio.
GridironGems

Post by GridironGems »

jhfenton wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:28 pm
GridironGems wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:07 pm I have my Roth IRA in Vanguard Target Retirement Fund 2050. So I'd be interested in target date funds, life strategy, wellington, etc

AOA iShares Core Aggressive Allocation is on the commission-free ETF list at 0.25% ER. It's a fixed-allocation fund--or close to fixed, it doesn't have a glide path--that is currently 82.5/17.5% equities/fixed income with close to 48% of the equities in international. It has some emerging markets, but it's market weight or a little lower.

The other allocation ETFs available commission-free are more expensive and less attractive.

You can buy most non-Admiral share Vanguard mutual funds at TD Ameritrade, including Target Retirement 2050, but you'll pay a $25 mutual fund commission. I believe Wellington is closed to new purchasers at most non-Vanguard brokerages.

I did a quick search, and I didn't see any attractive target retirement style mutual funds on the no-transaction fee mutual funds list.

The single-asset class SPDR Portfolio ETFs are definitely the cheapest way to go, but you would have to balance them with the rest of your portfolio.
The AOA looks like a decent fund.

Wouldn't mind having the Vanguard Target Retirement 2050, but don't like the $25 mutual fund commission. I don't see anything about a 25 dollar cost on TD Ameritrade website? I will do a trustee to trustee transfer every few months probably, would that mean I'd have to pay 25 dollars every time I transfer money over and put it into the 2050 fund?
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

GridironGems wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:59 pm The AOA looks like a decent fund.

Wouldn't mind having the Vanguard Target Retirement 2050, but don't like the $25 mutual fund commission. I don't see anything about a 25 dollar cost on TD Ameritrade website? I will do a trustee to trustee transfer every few months probably, would that mean I'd have to pay 25 dollars every time I transfer money over and put it into the 2050 fund?
It's strange. If I log into my HSA account and go to commissions, I get a link to this PDF that shows $25 per trade for no-load mutual funds: https://www.tdameritrade.com/retail-en_ ... PS1009.pdf

If I go to their public pricing page when not logged in, it shows $49.99 for non-load mutual fund trades: https://www.tdameritrade.com/pricing.page

The only way to avoid paying the $25/$50 every time is to set up periodic investing. You have to establish the initial position, but then you can set up/schedule a "Systematic Transaction" for the fund with weekly/bi-weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual purchases. (If you wanted to do semi-annual, you could set up two annuals staggered by six months.) It can be a % investment, meaning it would sweep a percentage (presumably 100%) of your available cash on the scheduled date into the chosen fund. There are no fees on the periodic investments beyond the initial $25/$50 commission--and presumably a $25/$50 commission on the fund's eventual sale. To manage this, you'd have to commit to making your transfers on a set schedule.

You'd have to decide if the hassle and commissions would be worth it compared to AOA. :beer
investingparentof2

Post by investingparentof2 »

stockfuturist wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:42 pm Account setup was easy but unfortuantely they are NOT ACCEPTING contributions through payroll deductions from my employer (and most likely most employers then). They're goal is to eventually allow that, but for now it's direct deposit through a few employees paying for their service or transfer from existing HSA (or post-tax contributions).
I am pretty new to HSAs since my companty is offering a high deductible plan for the first time so I'm learning as much as I can. I came across this thread and have been following for a bit. I reached out to Lively and they now allow contributions through payroll. You just have ask them about it when you sign-up and they'll send you the info to give to your company. This was an email from their support team:

"Recently, we've received a lot of demand to allow any 3rd party to make contributions into our user's Lively HSA accounts.

As such, we have now made this feature available. Since you all have indicated that this was of interest to you (e.g., providing your HSA account information to your employer), you all are receiving this email."

I haven't asked for my information yet, but am planning to. Anyone else ask them or it is just me?
stockfuturist

Post by stockfuturist »

Lively added this feature and emailed customers! Awesome.