Appealing Property Assessment and Lawyer

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
SleepKing

Appealing Property Assessment and Lawyer

Post by SleepKing » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:45 am

Quick Summary:

We are in the process of appealing our property reassessment. During an initial phone conversation with the assessor office, DW received an initial reduction offer. However, we feel this is not enough and presented numerous comps within our township to demonstrate our argument (their re-reassessment is still tens of thousands in assessed value higher than other comparable properties in our township). While my wife is going to call back the assessor today after allowing them a few weeks to 'review our case', our question is:

If the county's new assessment is still not where we feel a fair value is based on comps, does anyone have an opinion or experience on hiring legal counsel to present our case? We feel it may get us taken more seriously by the county.

new2bogle

Re: Appealing Property Assessment and Lawyer

Post by new2bogle » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:48 am

SleepKing wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:45 am
Quick Summary:

We are in the process of appealing our property reassessment. During an initial phone conversation with the assessor office, DW received an initial reduction offer. However, we feel this is not enough and presented numerous comps within our township to demonstrate our argument (their re-reassessment is still tens of thousands in assessed value higher than other comparable properties in our township). While my wife is going to call back the assessor today after allowing them a few weeks to 'review our case', our question is:

If the county's new assessment is still not where we feel a fair value is based on comps, does anyone have an opinion or experience on hiring legal counsel to present our case? We feel it may get us taken more seriously by the county.
In my part of the country, there are specialized outfits that you hire which will fight the prop tax bill for you. Payment is 50% of the savings ($0 if they can't save you anything).

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:54 am

I would get a formal appraisal and submit that. It has been my experience in my town (granted, these things are always very local) that an appraisal is just as good (and usually quite a bit cheaper) than a lawyer.

denovo

Post by denovo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:31 pm

SleepKing wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:45 am

What will be effective (hiring a lawyer vs getting an appraisal or just following up with a nice letter) is going to vary widely county by county, and state by state. Best thing is to ask your neighbors/co-workers. If you live in Arizona, I doubt advice from how someone did it in NY is going to be helpful.