Frozen credit while job hunting?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Longtermgrowth

Frozen credit while job hunting?

Post by Longtermgrowth »

Are there general expectations employers have of those with frozen credit?

Since some employers don't check credit, does one just wait for them to mention that there will be a credit check, then ask which agency to thaw one's report at?
tim1999

Re: Frozen credit while job hunting?

Post by tim1999 »

I recall always having to sign something first before a potential employer would check my credit/do a background check. I would unfreeze all at that time and say nothing to HR. You would theoretically have some advance warning that the moment was coming - notification of a second interview, asking you to fill out a background check form, etc. I wouldn't want to try to explain what "frozen credit" is to some low-level HR person only to have them equate it with having bad credit or something.
flamesabers

Re: Frozen credit while job hunting?

Post by flamesabers »

I think before an employer can run a background check on you, you have to sign an authorization form beforehand. Ideally the authorization form should specify what agency/agencies the check will be ran through. If not, I would suggest asking HR at that time.