Switching Insurance - Progressive

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
black_knight_32

Switching Insurance - Progressive

Post by black_knight_32 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:32 pm

Good Afternoon!

After being with State Farm for 10+ years and only seeing my rates increase year after year, I decided to do some comparison shopping. As a result, i found Progressive's rates to be much cheaper - to the tune of $400 a year for two vehicles and home insurance.

I quoted USAA, Geico and Progressive and progressive was the clear winner. Any other insurance companies that I should have quote?

Does anyone here have progressive? Are you happy with their service?

Dolcetto

Re: Switching Insurance - Progressive

Post by Dolcetto » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:55 pm

I was happy with Progressive for auto in Michigan. I even had a claim and they helped me with my "mini-tort" (https://www.michigan.gov/documents/cis_ ... 5091_7.pdf) against the other driver's carrier (State Farm). He lied and and it got complicated so I was very impressed with the help I got from Progressive. In Oregon I now have Allstate. No claims, but they seem decent depending on the agent. I'm not happy with my agent so will be switching companies or agents soon.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:51 pm

Progressive Ins has given me better service than I expected. Ive been with them over 10 yrs on cars & boat.

My boat was a 32' sailboat that I lived aboard at times. In 2008 Hurricane Ike wiped my marina out with over 100 other boats damaged. Many of my boat neighbors were surprised at how well beyond expectation I was treated compared to their ins. Progressive took control of recovery & repair & made certain that all my legal rights were extended. Weeks later the corporate claims manager touched base to check on how things were going for me!

I recently check the rates for my cars & found that GEICO was the only one competitive, but not enough for me to give up tried & true Progressive.

Greywolf

Post by Greywolf » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:02 pm

Like you, we were shopping auto and homeowner policies last year. We switched both to Progressive based on price and previous experience. We have a small boat that we have insured with Progressive for many years. The boat sustained some minor damage during superstorm Sandy several years ago. Progressive customer service was very good handling our claim.

Itster

Post by Itster » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:23 pm

I'm thinking of switching insurance for the same reason. I've been with my insurance company since 1990, but it's the typical story where rates have increased to the point I need to comparison shop. I'll check Progressive to see what their rates are for my situation.

welderwannabe

Post by welderwannabe » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:17 pm

I switch between Progressive and GEICO every couple of years depending on who has the best rate. Their rates seem to move around. They are both fine, go with whichever is cheaper.
I am not an investment professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

drk

Post by drk » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:24 pm

As it happens, I just made the opposite switch. I was with Progressive for a while, felt lukewarm about the service, and got a lower premium with State Farm (even with slightly better coverage). With auto insurance, the moral of the story appears to be that it's important to be disloyal.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:25 pm

I've been happy with Progressive. Not long ago I was thinking about a few question I had on my policy while I had some free time, and decided to call them up. Reached a live person immediately, very helpful. And it happened to be 2am.