Experian takes money but doesn't Freeze

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Ricola

Experian takes money but doesn't Freeze

Post by Ricola » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:28 am

Like others, we are freezing all credit agency accounts. However, Experian web site makes you go through the freezing application, takes your money, and then tells you they cannot freeze your account and that you need to send a bunch of information and a check to them by mail. Are others experiencing this?
Last edited by Ricola on Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

wrongfunds

Re: Experian takes money but doesn't Freeze

Post by wrongfunds » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:35 am

YES, all the time! Do it via telephone; it is surprisingly easier than online; it only asks you ssn/dob/zip that's it! then it makes you listen to entire 50 states for the price and then asks you for your credit card number and expiry date. The lax of any security feature on this mode is just atrocious but we are talking Experian here!

lynneny

Post by lynneny » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:14 pm

I had the opposite experience on Friday; Experian let me choose a pin and confirmed my credit was frozen, but didn't ask me for money.

Both Equifax and TransUnion told me to try again later.

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:22 am

Ricola wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:28 am
Like others, we are freezing all credit agency accounts. However, Experian web site makes you go through the freezing application, takes your money, and then tells you they cannot freeze your account and that you need to send a bunch of information and a check to them by mail. Are others experiencing this?
Yep,happened twice, once to me, once to wife.
Tweaked 3-Fund: 35% US Equities | 35% Total International | 30% Intermediate Treasuries

cas

Post by cas » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:43 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:35 am
YES, all the time! Do it via telephone; it is surprisingly easier than online; it only asks you ssn/dob/zip that's it! then it makes you listen to entire 50 states for the price and then asks you for your credit card number and expiry date. The lax of any security feature on this mode is just atrocious but we are talking Experian here!
When you did it by phone, how are they getting the PIN to you? Mailing it to the address they have in their records? Computer voice reciting it to you over the phone?

financeidiot

Post by financeidiot » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:01 am

Happened to me this weekend. Twice. Tried over the phone and it was a no go. Have to send everything by mail. Calling the credit card company and telling them not to accept the charges as freezing services were never rendered.

financeidiot

Post by financeidiot » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:09 am

financeidiot wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:01 am
Happened to me this weekend. Twice. Tried over the phone and it was a no go. Have to send everything by mail. Calling the credit card company and telling them not to accept the charges as freezing services were never rendered.
Turns out they refunded the expenses for the non-freeze, just took a couple of days. Not happy with the process, but they did give me my money back.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:09 am

Don't worry! Experian will not post the charges to your cc account. They will remain pending until your next statement date, then they'll drop off. I had three of those, one each for my three online attempts to freeze. I had to send in my info finally with a check. All those charges dropped off. It seemed that I answered one of my questions wrong, then my repeated online attempts all failed too. You will ultimately not be charged on your credit card.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:52 am

cas wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:43 am
wrongfunds wrote:
When you did it by phone, how are they getting the PIN to you? Mailing it to the address they have in their records? Computer voice reciting it to you over the phone?
PIN will supposedly come via US mail. Except Equifax, all others will be mailing me their PIN via US mail.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:10 pm

I had no difficulty with Experian, I have a printed receipt and PIN from them from when we froze our accounts. Of course I did this back in January of last year, before the demand for freezing accounts hit (what I'm betting is) an all-time high.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

naranja

Post by naranja » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:16 pm

cas wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:43 am
wrongfunds wrote:
If you are successful the phone recording says they will mail you the pin but I was able to get my pin online a couple of days later here: https://www.experian.com/ncaconline/freezepin

cas

Post by cas » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:26 pm

naranja wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:16 pm
If you are successful the phone recording says they will mail you the pin but I was able to get my pin online a couple of days later here: https://www.experian.com/ncaconline/freezepin
I probably don't want to know, but when you used the above form, did you have to answer the infamous security questions after you clicked "Submit", or is filing out that form all you had to do? (If so ... yikes. I was feeling a bit better that if a bad guy used the insecure phone method to freeze my credit, at least the PIN was (theoretically) mailed to my address-on-record. But looking at that form has me feeling worse again.)

naranja

Post by naranja » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:36 pm

cas wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:26 pm
naranja wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:16 pm
I probably don't want to know, but when you used the above form, did you have to answer the infamous security questions after you clicked "Submit", or is filing out that form all you had to do? (If so ... yikes. I was feeling a bit better that if a bad guy used the insecure phone method to freeze my credit, at least the PIN was (theoretically) mailed to my address-on-record. But looking at that form has me feeling worse again.)
Yes I had to answer about 5 multiple choice security questions to get my pin.