"What We Know and Don’t Know About the Equifax Hack"

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
gkaplan

"What We Know and Don’t Know About the Equifax Hack"

Post by gkaplan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:41 pm

Last week, the consumer credit reporting company Equifax revealed that it had discovered a breach in its online systems that potentially impacted 143 million consumers. But many details about the breach and the computer security defenses at Equifax are still unclear. . . .
What We Know and Don’t Know About the Equifax Hack
Gordon

dahsom

Re: "What We Know and Don’t Know About the Equifax Hack"

Post by dahsom » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:57 pm

You may say I'm paranoid. I feel it is a way of driving people towards embracing the rfid chip (verichip) as a security measure.

I read a novel called "The Cattle" -- Hope it won't happen. But, it's something to watch for. :shock:

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:07 pm

From the article:
Mr. Boyden and others said that the breach had many parallels with previous breaches of personal information by nation-states and their contractors. Such government-affiliated hackers compile giant databases of stolen information to see if there is material that can be used for espionage or perhaps even blackmail. Using data-sifting technologies, they comb through massive collections of information to find useful material.

With any luck, members of Congress were affected by the hack and may feel vulnerable to blackmail. That could push Congress to actually act and put the shackles on the credit bureaus (and handcuffs on the execs.).

Nah...

anonsdca

Post by anonsdca » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:30 pm

I don't think we know much at this point. At least I haven't heard anything I can use. What we do know is Equifax (EFX) stock has dropped from $145 to $96 in a few days. That is a 44% loss. Take that info for what it is worth to you.

Other data/security/credit breaches of late:

TJ Max
Target
EBay
Home Depot
JPMorgan
Anthem

Etc., etc., etc. Do you remember those? This is not new. This is the age we live in. The fact that this breach is within a major credit reporting agency is a bit different, but what difference does it make where they get your info?

What are we going to do here? What can be done?

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:17 am

It is different because what is being stolen is your full identity. In other breach, your single credit card or single account was compromised. Also almost every single adult in USA has been affected if the numbers are accurate.

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:04 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:17 am
It is different because what is being stolen is your full identity. In other breach, your single credit card or single account was compromised. Also almost every single adult in USA has been affected if the numbers are accurate.
My understanding is that even your answers to your security questions were compromised. Based on what we know, this breach is on another planet compared to the others, IMO. Maybe someone with a better understanding can set me straight-er.

SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:18 am

This is not new nor will this be the last time all of your information will be compromised. I really see no alternative other than freeze everything. The holders of your information can't be trusted and this has been proven time and time again. Hopefully this particular case will grow more attention to the issue because so many people were affected, including politicians.