Tax deduction for my elderly mother's geriatric care expenses?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
CULater

Tax deduction for my elderly mother's geriatric care expenses?

Post by CULater » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:47 pm

My elderly mother is in an assisted living facility. I have hired an independent geriatric care manager (licensed social worker) to help plan, manage and monitor my mother's care, which includes visiting/observing my mother regularly, interfacing with care providers at her AL facility, physicians, home care providers, providing professional advice and guidance to family, etc. I am paying about $1,000 per month for this service.

Since this is part of my mother's medical care, I am wondering if my expenses qualify for tax deductibility when I file my income taxes for 2017? If so, what sort of documentation must I obtain from the provider in order to support tax deduction?
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

Gnirk

Re: Tax deduction for my elderly mother's geriatric care expenses?

Post by Gnirk » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:05 pm

If this can be considered long term care, it should be deductible, subject to the IRS limitations on medical deductions, but I think she must be able to be claimed as your dependent in order to deduct it from your taxes. My mom's CPA deducted her LTC expenses from HER taxes, since I was paying it out of her funds.
Is your mother listed as your dependent?

delamer

Post by delamer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:40 pm

Gnirk wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:05 pm
If this can be considered long term care, it should be deductible, subject to the IRS limitations on medical deductions, but I think she must be able to be claimed as your dependent in order to deduct it from your taxes. My mom's CPA deducted her LTC expenses from HER taxes, since I was paying it out of her funds.
Is your mother listed as your dependent?
I believe this is right. My mother lived un a CCRC and a portion of the fees could be deducted on her taxes as medical expenses.

FiveK

Post by FiveK » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:34 pm

CULater wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:47 pm
...what sort of documentation must I obtain from the provider in order to support tax deduction?
Agree with previous posters that, unless your mother is your dependent, you can't deduct any of this but she could - if the availability of medical care is the principal reason for being in the nursing home.