TrueIdentity from TransUnion - free credit freeze and protection?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
learning_head

TrueIdentity from TransUnion - free credit freeze and protection?

Post by learning_head » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:36 am

Does anyone have experience with TrueIdentity from TransUnion? They promote it as as free service with these highlights:

- Lock your TransUnion report with a single swipe or click
- Get alerts to critical credit information changes
- Enjoy unlimited TransUnion report refreshes
- It’s 100% free — no credit card, no charge, no catch

https://www.transunion.com/product/true ... protection

How is locking TransUnion report different from credit freeze? According to

http://www.mymoneyblog.com/transunion-t ... eview.html

it might be the same thing, but perhaps free?!

https://www.transunion.com/credit-freez ... it-freeze2

and

https://www.transunion.com/blog/identit ... redit-lock

seem to imply the same but they don't say that explicitly! It also sounds like it's much faster to lock and unlock the file when needed.

If so, why would anyone use credit freeze at TransUnion? What's the catch?

Update based on another thread: from https://www.trueidentity.com/legal/service-agreement:
You understand that in order to receive the free products, you must agree to receive targeted offers by TransUnion and other third parties. The terms of any free product are specific only to the product.
<snip>
... while a credit lock prevents most third party access to your credit report, a third party may access a locked report in certain instances that are considered a low risk for identity theft, such as official government investigations, collection activities and insurance underwriting and claims administration.
So, it sounds like we'd get some more junk mail, but potential benefits include ...
- no need to thaw for when shopping for insurance (I was under impression regular "credit freeze" might interfere :-( )
- thawing / refreezing is instant (does it take long for "regular" credit thaw/refreeze?)
- thawing / refreezing is free (while it costs money in some states)
- other features of the service: alerts for "critical" changes and unlimited report refreshes

[Update from Sept 12, 2017] On the other hand, according to https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/the ... ould-know/
Q: I see that Trans Union has a free offering. And it looks like they offer another free service called a credit lock. Why shouldn’t I just use that?

A: I haven’t used that monitoring service, but it looks comparable to others. However, I take strong exception to the credit bureaus’ increasing use of the term “credit lock” to steer people away from securing a freeze on their file. I notice that Trans Union currently does this when consumers attempt to file a freeze. Your mileage may vary, but their motives for saddling consumers with even more confusing terminology are suspect. I would not count on a credit lock to take the place of a credit freeze, regardless of what these companies claim (consider the source).
Last edited by learning_head on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

student

Re: TrueIdentity from TransUnion - free credit freeze and protection?

Post by student » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:45 pm

If you do sign up, can you tell us whether it allows you to freeze Equifax report as well. Currently I have a paid service with Transunion that allows me to freeze both Transunion and Equifax report.

BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:47 pm

The "free" version of TrueIdentity only allows control/monitoring of your TransUnion report. You can add Equifax & Experian at a cost.

I posted a bit about TrueIdentity here...
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=227416&newpost=352 ... d#p3527858

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:48 pm

Freezing is pretty darn cheap (cost me $20, once, for all 5 (Experian, Equifax, Transunion, Innovis, ChexSystems). I personally think you need to cover all 5 somehow to really shut the barn door. Yes, I will have to pay should I ever want another credit card or loan, but that's a rare event. I would also really like to reduce junk mail and ELIMINATE balance transfer checks or offers or cash advance..... Sigh.

student

Post by student » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:56 pm

BHUser27 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:47 pm
The "free" version of TrueIdentity only allows control/monitoring of your TransUnion report. You can add Equifax & Experian at a cost.

Thanks. The paid service that I have with TransUnion allows me to access Transunion report only. I cannot see my Equifax report from this service but it allows me to freeze my Equifax report tough.I am also paying for a service from Equifax that does not include credit freezing.

learning_head

Post by learning_head » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:33 pm

BHUser27 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:47 pm

Thanks; so is your understanding of TrueIdentity lock feature that it's the same as, perhaps credit freeze with exception of insurance-related inquiries?

Is the only downside the potential for extra junk mail? (and as I mentioned in the OP, plenty of upsides...)

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:36 pm

CAsage wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:48 pm
Freezing is pretty darn cheap (cost me $20, once, for all 5 (Experian, Equifax, Transunion, Innovis, ChexSystems). I personally think you need to cover all 5 somehow to really shut the barn door. Yes, I will have to pay should I ever want another credit card or loan, but that's a rare event. I would also really like to reduce junk mail and ELIMINATE balance transfer checks or offers or cash advance..... Sigh.
"Cheap" is state specific. Without the new free Equifax freeze option and the Transunion "lock" option, it would have cost me $65 (after tax) for me and my wife to get all 3 frozen.

BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:47 pm

learning_head wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:33 pm
Thanks; so is your understanding of TrueIdentity lock feature that it's the same as, perhaps credit freeze with exception of insurance-related inquiries?
Is the only downside the potential for extra junk mail? (and as I mentioned in the OP, plenty of upsides...)
Good questions. I am not an expert (just signed up last night and knew nothing about TrueIdentity before I did).
What I know, I got from this web page: https://www.transunion.com/article/why- ... me-changer

As best I can tell, yes the "catch" is they try to sell you add-ons and other credit products when you sign up for the free service. I was able to unsubscribe from promo emails during the process. Everyone should read the terms and decide for themselves.

Here are the terms... https://www.trueidentity.com/legal/service-agreement

AlwaysBeClimbing

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:54 pm

Went ahead and signed up for TI, if there's a downside I'm not seeing it. I froze the other four agencies and have this one I can toggle "on" if needed. I'm guessing this will steer a lot of business TU's way.

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:44 pm

I use it. The junk e-mail I get is pretty minimal.

learning_head

Post by learning_head » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:01 am

Sigh... From (apparently) an area expert at https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/the ... ould-know/
Q: I see that Trans Union has a free offering. And it looks like they offer another free service called a credit lock. Why shouldn’t I just use that?

A: I haven’t used that monitoring service, but it looks comparable to others. However, I take strong exception to the credit bureaus’ increasing use of the term “credit lock” to steer people away from securing a freeze on their file. I notice that Trans Union currently does this when consumers attempt to file a freeze. Your mileage may vary, but their motives for saddling consumers with even more confusing terminology are suspect. I would not count on a credit lock to take the place of a credit freeze, regardless of what these companies claim (consider the source).
Also, found this TransUnion page comparing locking vs freezing: certainly leads one to believe the two functionalities are same but they don't explicitly state it... A quick read suggests everyone should be clearly using their free service instead of the freeze and it's not even clear why they provide the separate "freeze" option.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:46 am

I have been using it for several months now. As I understand the difference is that the freeze is regulated by state and federal laws however the lock is not. They both accomplish the same thing that is block access to your credit report.

The freeze requires the PIN to unfreeze, the credit lock only your user ID and password to access the TransUnion account.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:20 am

new2bogle wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:36 pm
CAsage wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:48 pm
"Cheap" is state specific. Without the new free Equifax freeze option and the Transunion "lock" option, it would have cost me $65 (after tax) for me and my wife to get all 3 frozen.
Of course, cheaper for one person than two! And in both our cases, far cheaper than hours spent trying to unscramble a bad fraud event after the fact. Credit card fraud can cost you thousands of dollars and hours of hassle. That is why I think freezing is cheap. I do wish it was free, and perhaps our government officials will make that so - no, wait, that might hurt business :annoyed

need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:29 pm

Just signed up for this for me and spouse.

Thank you for letting me know about this service.

I would freeze if it was free (and did for Innovis and Chex), but we will have quite a few needs for credit pulls coming up in the next couple of months and years, and I am not ready for the spending for all of the thaws. Obviously, I am sure identity theft is much worse.

We both have credit karma and free experian service (freecreditscore.com) with instant notifications for hard pulls.

I currently also have 3 credit monitoring services free thanks to OPM and 2 other breaches (one I suspect was Capital One being overly cautious because of my frequent vpn use, as I find it hard to believe that someone not only figured out my unique 64 character computer generated password but also had access to the account for two months and did absolutely nothing).

I will be signing us both up for Equifax free 1 year service.

Interestingly, per the site, neither of my parents were affected. Maybe that is one advantage of having no online financial logins - my dad still writes and mails checks to pay his bills monthly!

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:13 am

And while it was painless to sign up for Transunion TrueIdentity, be aware of:
1. They are currently unable to process credit lock (reason to do it in first place)
2. There are subtly annoying pop-up offers, but easy to ignore and proceed.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:26 am

SimonJester wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:46 am
I have been using it for several months now. As I understand the difference is that the freeze is regulated by state and federal laws however the lock is not. They both accomplish the same thing that is block access to your credit report.

The freeze requires the PIN to unfreeze, the credit lock only your user ID and password to access the TransUnion account.
How do you know the above statement to be a fact? Do they really both block access in the same manner and in ALL circumstances? There was a NYT article yesterday where they stated with their research they couldn't verify if a lock was really the same as a freeze or not and Transunion wasn't answering the question when they posed it.
I know a freeze costs money - but since Transunion is pushing people to sign up for their service versus collect the money for the freeze I can't help being suspicious. With them coming up with their own terms and definitions I'm not sure you can assume it really accomplishes the same thing.

AlwaysBeClimbing

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:26 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:26 am
SimonJester wrote:

How do you know the above statement to be a fact? Do they really both block access in the same manner and in ALL circumstances? There was a NYT article yesterday where they stated with their research they couldn't verify if a lock was really the same as a freeze or not and Transunion wasn't answering the question when they posed it.
I know a freeze costs money - but since Transunion is pushing people to sign up for their service versus collect the money for the freeze I can't help being suspicious. With them coming up with their own terms and definitions I'm not sure you can assume it really accomplishes the same thing.
I'm not sure how you can be sure of anything with these outfits except maybe by actually doing a test yourself(try to obtain credit). I suppose one could try opening a Credit Karma account which I don't think you can do if your TU(or Ef) file is frozen.

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:49 am

I've also been unable to freeze with transunion true identity since signing up two days ago. The website says this is due to high volume related to the recent breach.

tfb

Post by tfb » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:54 am

Freeze and the fees are stipulated by law. Lock is defined unilaterally as a product. It can be the same as freeze today or not so tomorrow. It's free today but it doesn't have to be tomorrow. That's the difference.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:10 am

AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:26 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
SimonJester wrote:

I'm not sure how you can be sure of anything with these outfits except maybe by actually doing a test yourself(try to obtain credit). I suppose one could try opening a Credit Karma account which I don't think you can do if your TU(or Ef) file is frozen.
I suppose you can never be 100% sure but a "FREEZE" is a government defined and regulated term while a "LOCK" is something Transunion made up. I'm sticking with the former myself - seems the better bet.

AlwaysBeClimbing

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:12 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:10 am
AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:26 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
SimonJester wrote:

I suppose you can never be 100% sure but a "FREEZE" is a government defined and regulated term while a "LOCK" is something Transunion made up. I'm sticking with the former myself - seems the better bet.
Ok fine, and it should be obvious that the government has very little to say on how these outfits are managed( Equifax maintaining all our files unencrypted is just as one example of how unregulated it all is ) so I take the whole business with a grain of salt. As for something TU made up, here's what they say:

"What’s TU Credit Lock?
TU Credit Lock is a credit protection tool only available to TransUnion Credit Monitoring members. With just a click or swipe, you can use it to lock your TransUnion credit report. When locked, your TransUnion credit report can’t be accessed by creditors. If they ask for it, their request will be denied."
https://www.transunion.com/article/why- ... me-changer

To each his own, you pay your money( or not ) and you take your chances.

AlwaysBeClimbing

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:14 pm

tfb wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:54 am
Freeze and the fees are stipulated by law. Lock is defined unilaterally as a product. It can be the same as freeze today or not so tomorrow. It's free today but it doesn't have to be tomorrow. That's the difference.

See my reply to DaftInvestor above. If it becomes "unfree" tomorrow, then I can simply change course and freeze or not.

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:04 pm

A lock is NOT the same as a freeze. You make your own choices! Here is an excellent, authoritative discussion:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/the ... ould-know/

AlwaysBeClimbing

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:54 pm

CAsage wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:04 pm
A lock is NOT the same as a freeze. You make your own choices! Here is an excellent, authoritative discussion:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/the ... ould-know/
"You make your own choices! "
I think I said that.

"Here is an excellent, authoritative discussion:"
Good discussion, but hardly "authoritative". No evidence I could see in your cited blog post that a freeze is markedly superior to a lock, but feel free to point out something I missed in the back and forth of the discussion.