Applying for Credit Card....need to send Drivers License/SS Copies?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
kaneohe

Applying for Credit Card....need to send Drivers License/SS Copies?

Post by kaneohe » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:18 pm

Anyone ever have to send in copies of drivers license/SS card to get a credit card? Applied online, no immediate approval, then received a letter saying they needed those plus copy of utility bill w/ current address to continue the process. No guarantee of approval either. Called them and they said they needed to do this to comply w/ Patriot Act. So you do this for every application? Can't answer for security reasons. If the computer says we have to do it, then we have to. So is this like a random screen like TSA? Can't answer for security reasons. Maybe they do this to find out if you really want this card. I'm thinking maybe I don't anymore.

mhalley

Re: Applying for Credit Card....need to send Drivers License/SS Copies?

Post by mhalley » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:33 pm

I have never had to do that. There are a gazillion cc offers out there, I would try another one. There could be a question of identity theft, so it wouldn't hurt to sign up for credit karma and get your free credit reports at annualcreditreport.com

CanyonCitySteve

Post by CanyonCitySteve » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:53 pm

That's unusual. I'd be wary.

Which credit card/website are you referring to?
It is in the uncompromisingness with which dogma is held and not in the dogma or want of dogma that the danger lies. | --Samuel Butler

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:56 pm

kaneohe wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:18 pm
Anyone ever have to send in copies of drivers license/SS card to get a credit card? Applied online, no immediate approval, then received a letter saying they needed those plus copy of utility bill w/ current address to continue the process. No guarantee of approval either. Called them and they said they needed to do this to comply w/ Patriot Act. So you do this for every application? Can't answer for security reasons. If the computer says we have to do it, then we have to. So is this like a random screen like TSA? Can't answer for security reasons. Maybe they do this to find out if you really want this card. I'm thinking maybe I don't anymore.
There are requirements similar to this for opening a checking account, but I have never heard of it for a credit card. I think some banks have gotten slapped for not following the "Know Your Customer" requirements so maybe this bank's compliance department decided to do it for all accounts.

student

Post by student » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:13 pm

I think some financial institutions just use the Patriot Act as an excuse. I don't think it says they need to see your DL, as otherwise, every institution will be asking for it. I can understand they want this if you have recently moved.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:17 pm

I never had to do this, is this recently?

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:20 pm

No way I would do this. A CC is not worth the trouble and potential risk.

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:29 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:17 pm
I never had to do this, is this recently?
Just last wk........never had to do this before either. Kind of sounds similar to the thread on Experian credit freeze.
Wonder if this card using Experian for credit reports. It's for the Barclays CashForward m/c.

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:57 pm

kaneohe wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:18 pm
The only legitimate reason I can see is if your credit file (EQ, EX, or TU) is thin enough that they can't verify your identity automatically. For example, when you sign up for credit monitoring (like Credit Karma, Discover Scorecard), you have to answer a couple questions to identify yourself (such as, "which of the following is an address you were associated with", etc). The automated systems do similar checks by verifying the personal information you give in the application (name, DOB, SSN, address, etc). If the info does not match your credit file, then the automated system can't process the application (because it can't confidently identify you, which is the relevant part of the Patriot Act). A similar thing happened to my son in law (EU citizen) when he applied online for a Discover card, and it was because there was no credit bureau information on him. Discover sent him a letter asking him to mail or upload a copy of his drivers license and passport. He went to an HSBC branch instead. That said, if you have a decent credit file, then I can't explain it.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:06 pm

This sounds like they were unable to confirm your identity with their online identity verification system. Probably more a function of one of the asinine identity verification systems they use these days than anything else.

Until recently I had problems the LexisNexis identity verification system. If the financial institution was using them I routinely had problems.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:45 pm

I've been approved for many CC's--sometimes online instantly, sometimes a bit later with an email or phone call confirmation. I have never sent DLicense & SS copies. H never has either. We have excellent credit (scores >800).

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:33 am

Are you dealing with a credit union?

I had a bad experience applying for a CC with Alliant a few months ago. They (CU's in general and Alliant in particular) seem incredibly (and IMHO unreasonably) conservative on their application approval process. In my case, Alliant wanted two years of tax returns (in addition to other personal information I have never been asked to supply). I killed the application and will steer clear of CU's for CC's in the future.

In my experience, banks are much more reasonable when it comes to the information they request to approve a CC application. I have gotten two CC's since and even leased a new vehicle and in all cases there were no requests for any information outside the norm.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:54 pm

I went through this process a few months back after receiving mailed a Capital One CC offer with an opening bonus.

Long-story short: Capital One's document scanning process made my mailed documents illegible, so they requested the documents be sent again. I call/asked them why they didn't have a human read my documents to update their system, and was told "... that's not our process." As I didn't see how a second round of the same process could expect a better outcome, I canceled my application and asked that my name/address be removed from their mailing lists. So far, so good.

It was fun once, but see no reason to ever again repeat such an application process... for a CC.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.