Instead of a credit freeze, I want to receive a phone call before credit is opened in my name.

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
R2D2

Instead of a credit freeze, I want to receive a phone call before credit is opened in my name.

Post by R2D2 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:45 am

I'm concerned about the recent data breach, but I've had this question for a while anyway:

Instead of freezing my credit, I'd like to set things up so that before anyone opens up credit in my name, I would receive a call on my cell phone asking me if I had indeed approved such a thing.

This sounds so simple, but I haven't been able to find a way to make this happen. Does anyone know?

JamesSFO

Re: Instead of a credit freeze, I want to receive a phone call before credit is opened in my name.

Post by JamesSFO » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:49 am

FWIW, when you have a credit freeze you will get such calls when you unfreeze since they will call you at the number(s) listed...

Rupert

Re: Instead of a credit freeze, I want to receive a phone call before credit is opened in my name.

Post by Rupert » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:51 am

R2D2 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:45 am
I'm concerned about the recent data breach, but I've had this question for a while anyway:

Instead of freezing my credit, I'd like to set things up so that before anyone opens up credit in my name, I would receive a call on my cell phone asking me if I had indeed approved such a thing.

This sounds so simple, but I haven't been able to find a way to make this happen. Does anyone know?
No such service exists to the best of my knowledge. Only the credit bureaus could set up such a service. If you freeze your credit though, you will receive either a phone call or a letter from prospective creditors asking you to temporarily unfreeze your credit from them.

BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:08 am

I keep a minimal (free) account set up on Mint.com
Mint sends me an alert any time a credit inquiry is made and/or any time a new account is opened.
I am not sure if they monitor all of the big-three credit reporting agencies.

EDIT: looks they do monitor all three...
(from Mint.com) Early detection can make a difference. With Equifax 3-Bureau Credit Monitoring, you get daily monitoring and alerts about significant activity. Our Identity Monitoring2 examines online sources for your information and determines your Identity Threat Score3 — to indicate your potential identity theft risk level3.
Last edited by BHUser27 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

R2D2

Post by R2D2 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:08 am

Rupert wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:51 am

No such service exists to the best of my knowledge. Only the credit bureaus could set up such a service. If you freeze your credit though, you will receive either a phone call or a letter from prospective creditors asking you to temporarily unfreeze your credit from them.
How does this work? If I want a CC from them do I just say "yes" and then it's quickly thawed and re-frozen?

That sounds pretty much like what I want.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:40 am

R2D2 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:08 am
Rupert wrote:

How does this work? If I want a CC from them do I just say "yes" and then it's quickly thawed and re-frozen?

When you freeze your credit, each credit bureau gives you a pin number that you can use to unfreeze your credit. You can do it all on their websites; you don't have to call them. You can unfreeze it for a specified period of time, e.g., from X date to Y date, or you can request a one-time-use pin number that your prospective creditor would then use to access your credit. So you'd have to call your prospective creditor, ask which credit bureau they use, unfreeze your credit, then call your creditor back to either tell them it's unfrozen or give them the one-time-use pin. Usually when a creditor sends you a letter telling you to unfreeze, they'll also tell you which bureau they use which eliminates one of those steps. It's really a pretty painless process.

R2D2

Post by R2D2 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:48 am

BHUser27 wrote:
I keep a minimal (free) account set up on Mint.com
Mint sends me an alert any time a credit inquiry is made and/or any time a new account is opened.
I am not sure if they monitor all of the big-three credit reporting agencies.

EDIT: looks they do monitor all three...
(from Mint.com) Early detection can make a difference. With Equifax 3-Bureau Credit Monitoring, you get daily monitoring and alerts about significant activity. Our Identity Monitoring2 examines online sources for your information and determines your Identity Threat Score3 — to indicate your potential identity theft risk level3.
Aha... sounds like a good option. Thanks!

jazman12

Post by jazman12 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:54 am

R2D2 wrote:
Rupert wrote:

note that there is a fee to freeze your accounts with the credit agencies I believe it is a seperate fee for each one :moneybag

R2D2

Post by R2D2 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:33 am

jazman12 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:54 am
note that there is a fee to freeze your accounts with the credit agencies I believe it is a seperate fee for each one :moneybag
Right, between my wife and me, we'll have to spend $60. But it sounds like it's a one-time deal, right? Since I can do a temporary thaw each time, there's no need to ever freeze agin?

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:00 pm

R2D2 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:33 am
jazman12 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:54 am
Right, between my wife and me, we'll have to spend $60. But it sounds like it's a one-time deal, right? Since I can do a temporary thaw each time, there's no need to ever freeze agin?
I think depending on what state you live in, you may also have to pay a fee to temporarily thaw your credit account(s).

Jillian

Post by Jillian » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:09 pm

How would you know the call is legit?

I just don't think a service like this would work.

I froze my credit a while ago for a variety of reasons involving some ID theft, and it's worked well because I just don't use credit that much anyway.

R2D2

Post by R2D2 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:12 pm

Jillian wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:09 pm
The idea would be that I'd apply for credit card XYZ, and after I click "apply" they'd call me and say "did you just apply for credit card XYZ"?

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:17 pm

Exactly. Why is it the norm that they give out the information, and you have to pay to keep them from giving it out? The norm should be they don't give it out. Bunch of criminals.

Even if you do the credit freeze, that still doesn't stop the tax refund fraud, which seems to be the most likely use of the compromised information.

Jillian

Post by Jillian » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:19 pm

R2D2 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:12 pm
Jillian wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:09 pm
The idea would be that I'd apply for credit card XYZ, and after I click "apply" they'd call me and say "did you just apply for credit card XYZ"?
It's a good idea, I just wonder if that would be difficult to implement as timing is so important on something like that. And there would probably have to be some sort of fees for a service like that.

The way it works for me, I have a PIN and I unfreeze it online before say applying for a credit card. It's not as convenient, but I only need to unlock my credit like once a year, if that.

Jillian

Post by Jillian » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:22 pm

aristotelian wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:17 pm
Exactly. Why is it the norm that they give out the information, and you have to pay to keep them from giving it out? The norm should be they don't give it out. Bunch of criminals.

Even if you do the credit freeze, that still doesn't stop the tax refund fraud, which seems to be the most likely use of the compromised information.
I've been a victim of that, absolute nightmare. And I'm incredibly careful about my information, I'm convinced someone at my bank stole it.

And the IRS is a nightmare to work with.

Someone stole my info, did a tax return in state I never lived in and got their "refund" [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek] You basically turn in a really low tax return and the government sends you an automatic check.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:33 pm

R2D2 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:45 am

I have been the victim of identity theft, a "credit freeze" was too cumbersome for me because, for various reasons, I have credit checks done pretty regularly. I instead had a "EXTENDED FRAUD ALERT" placed on my credit file
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0 ... raud-alert (a regular 'fraud alert' has to be renewed after 90 days)
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0 ... it-freezes (The extended alert lasts for 7 years)
It's generally not considered as good an option as a freeze, but it puts a note in your credit file asking that potential creditors do exactly as you suggested and contact you before opening a new account. So far it's resulted in a phone call every time I opened an account (including a checking account).
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

mnaspbh

Post by mnaspbh » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:04 pm

JamesSFO wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:49 am
FWIW, when you have a credit freeze you will get such calls when you unfreeze since they will call you at the number(s) listed...
Not necessarily.

I've had my credit reports frozen for several years, and whenever I've thawed them online I've received no phone calls or any other notifications that the thaws were performed or that the freezes went back into effect. Nor was I notified when I opened a new line of credit when the freeze was lifted.

The "monitoring service" I was enrolled with at the time (given out for free after yet another personal data theft) didn't even let me know that my credit had been thawed or that 2 hard credit pulls had been issued, and it took nearly 60 days until it let me know that I'd opened a new line of credit...

JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:22 am

mnaspbh wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:04 pm
I've had my credit reports frozen for several years, and whenever I've thawed them online I've received no phone calls or any other notifications that the thaws were performed or that the freezes went back into effect. Nor was I notified when I opened a new line of credit when the freeze was lifted.
Odd, even when I "thaw" they insist on calling me. Wonder if it is the fraud notification as well and instructions to call.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:45 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:33 pm

I have been the victim of identity theft, a "credit freeze" was too cumbersome for me because, for various reasons, I have credit checks done pretty regularly. I instead had a "EXTENDED FRAUD ALERT" placed on my credit file
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0 ... raud-alert (a regular 'fraud alert' has to be renewed after 90 days)
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0 ... it-freezes (The extended alert lasts for 7 years)
It's generally not considered as good an option as a freeze, but it puts a note in your credit file asking that potential creditors do exactly as you suggested and contact you before opening a new account. So far it's resulted in a phone call every time I opened an account (including a checking account).
I did this once then bought a car and I never received any phone call when they pulled my credit. Ford dealer. I expected a call but it never came.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:51 pm

Open an account at Mint seems like the best option. Is there a minimum balance required?

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:35 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:51 pm
Open an account at Mint seems like the best option. Is there a minimum balance required?
Mint (Intuit) isn't a financial institution, the account you open doesn't hold any funds. Think of it as Quicken in the cloud.

But ask yourself how they can offer this free service. What information do you have to give them and what do they do with it? As the old saying goes, if you aren't their customer, you are the product. I find it a bit counter intuitive (productive?) to give personal information to yet another company so they can help me keep track of the same personal information potentially getting misused elsewhere. ;)

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:37 pm

Jillian wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:22 pm

I've been a victim of that, absolute nightmare. And I'm incredibly careful about my information, I'm convinced someone at my bank stole it.

And the IRS is a nightmare to work with.

Someone stole my info, did a tax return in state I never lived in and got their "refund" [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek] You basically turn in a really low tax return and the government sends you an automatic check.
[Response to OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek] The IRS scam you describe is fraud.

student

Post by student » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:10 pm

You can add a line on your credit report listing a phone number for banks to call you before extending credit. However, whether they do or not is another matter.

Northster

Post by Northster » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:16 pm

I was at the TransUnion site this morning and they offered a 90 day fraud alert which should result in a phone call any time an attempt is made to open an new account. They claimed they would also notify the other two services so they would do the same.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:36 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:35 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:51 pm
Mint (Intuit) isn't a financial institution, the account you open doesn't hold any funds. Think of it as Quicken in the cloud.

But ask yourself how they can offer this free service. What information do you have to give them and what do they do with it? As the old saying goes, if you aren't their customer, you are the product. I find it a bit counter intuitive (productive?) to give personal information to yet another company so they can help me keep track of the same personal information potentially getting misused elsewhere. ;)
I forgot that you have to give Mint passwords to your accounts. Maybe it's not a good idea after all.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

student

Post by student » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:20 pm

Northster wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:16 pm
I was at the TransUnion site this morning and they offered a 90 day fraud alert which should result in a phone call any time an attempt is made to open an new account. They claimed they would also notify the other two services so they would do the same.
I have been using this service for a while now. They do send you an email every 3 months saying the alert will continue for another 3 months unless you cancel it.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:13 pm

Credit Karma will alert you also. They have an app you can I stall on your phone. Great idea if you want to get an alert on your phone.
Financial Independence is the best revenge. | "Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify." -Thoreau