Equifax customer information leak

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Rupert

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by Rupert » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:18 am

kjdbonez wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:57 pm
If your credit cards had slightly higher statement balances in the last month or two than you typically have on your statements, this would lower your score a bit.
I generally have a revolving CC utilization that is anywhere from 5-10% of my total available balance but it always gets paid off in full and I can't remember the last time I paid interest. I don't believe my statement balance last month was anything out of the ordinary. I hope that is all it is though, because I assume I'd see a new credit inquiry or something. Would a new bank account or some other thing get factored into FICO that doesn't show up on CreditKarma?
Check your credit report that those two bureaus using annualcreditreport.com. No sense speculating about it when checking the reports will resolve the matter.

1210sda

Post by 1210sda » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:43 am

Me too,

I now have an "enrollment date for TrustedID Premier"

Thank you Equifax. ( :annoyed )

chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:27 am

It took several tries with Equifax, but I have frozen: Equifax, Experian and Transunion.

Some people have mentioned others? So, what else should I freeze?

trueson1

Post by trueson1 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:38 am

Freeze all 3 credit accounts and monitor yourself. Only way to be sure.

MnD

Post by MnD » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:31 am

Credit freeze/unfreeze scam is the new credit monitoring scam to boost bottom line for credit reporting companies.
No surprise the latest massive release of PII is from a credit reporting agency - setting off a panic that will result in perhaps millions of new paying customers for freeze/unfreeze and probably for life. People that get used to freeze/unfreeze and paying for it as the new world order are not going to drop doing that. Ka-ching!

AnStrANG

Post by AnStrANG » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:35 am

kjdbonez wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:09 pm
After reading this post i went on creditkarma just to check everything. I have no new inquiries and no new accounts, but my credit score with the two bureaus listed dropped 32 and 35 points... The only thing I have done recently is ask for several prequalification quotes for student loan refinance. These don't show up on the hard inquiries and I ensured that all of them specified they only do a soft pull and "Credit won't be affected..." Is this anything to worry about??
If you go into View Score Details, you can see what changed. It doesn't tell you how it affected the points, but at least you can see what changed.

I try to log into CreditKarma every two weeks to see any changes. It can even give you a graph of your score over time.

mongstradamus

Post by mongstradamus » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:40 am

AnStrANG wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:40 pm
So here's what I've done, and already done

Already done (before the breach):
- Download all my financial institution information into Quicken every day, so I can watch for abnormalities
- Use creditkarma every few weeks to monitor any changes
- Use LastPass pronounceable passwords for the answers to security questions at financial institutions and other places

What I have just done
- Added free credit monitoring using LastPass (linked to TransUnion)
- Froze my Chex account and Innovis account
- Setup Discovercard Identify Theft Protection which looks at Experian
- Only put a fraud alert on my Transunion Account, which I will believe will carry over to the other credit bureaus.

- I have NOT done a credit freeze. Just not comfortable with that, don't feel right about paying them for their mistake, and don't think I need it given the other protections above
You can get "free credit freeze" with equifax if your accounts were compromised that is what i did , I also did the pay option for TU and EX though.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:22 am

TimeRunner wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:42 pm
Changing your SSN seems like a high-risk. Consider all the places it may be used, from marriage certificates, tax records and University transcripts to medical and financial records.
There was a time when my SS card said "not to be used for identification". Greed and ignorance changed that. Stock tip, buy identity protection sellers.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:25 am

mongstradamus wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:40 am
You can get "free credit freeze" with equifax if your accounts were compromised that is what i did , I also did the pay option for TU and EX though.
Equifax wanted a credit card to get this "free" protection. You are on auto renew and have to opt out.
You must also now send a real paper letter to Equifax telling them you want to opt out of the arbitration clause you just agreed to.

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:34 am

Since the rules are changing almost everyday with Equifax, would it make sense to wait a week to see if:
1. Arbitration concern is resolved
2. Fee for freeze is waived
3. More staff and better streamlining lead to better process
4. More people on the board and others provide valuable input

I intend to freeze all 5, but wavering based on the moving targets last 3 days. Plus in my state, I pay $10 per person per bureau.
Last edited by tenkuky on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

geoff2

Post by geoff2 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:42 am

MnD wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:31 am
Credit freeze/unfreeze scam is the new credit monitoring scam to boost bottom line for credit reporting companies.
No surprise the latest massive release of PII is from a credit reporting agency - setting off a panic that will result in perhaps millions of new paying customers for freeze/unfreeze and probably for life. People that get used to freeze/unfreeze and paying for it as the new world order are not going to drop doing that. Ka-ching!
It was free for me in North Carolina, which is nice.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:44 am

MnD wrote:
Just a reminder for those not reading the whole thread: In some states it is always free to freeze/unfreeze your credit. In some states, it is always free for senior citizens to freeze/unfreeze their credit. In all states, it is always free for people who have actually been the victim of identity theft to freeze/unfreeze their credit. That doesn't mean your information has been stolen in one of these massive data breaches. It means your identity has actually been used to open fraudulent accounts or someone has fraudulently accessed your accounts using your identity. To take advantage of the free freeze/unfreeze opportunity in the latter circumstance, you will have to verify that you are a victim by sending the credit bureaus copies of police reports.

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:13 am

samsoes wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:04 pm
SquawkIdent wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:56 pm
I have a question about freezing Chex Systems. Is it correct that Chex Systems is used when opening new bank accounts? And would this be recommended do to because of this leak? I assume I could thaw as neccessary if I needed a new bank account? Thanks. :sharebeer
Freezing your Chex Systems reports would thwart a hacker from opening a bank account in your name. Such a fraudulent account could be used to launder drug money, launder money used to fund terrorist activities, organized crime activities, etc. Since the hackers obtained driver's license and other identifying information from the breach, they could indeed produce false identification to open a fraudulent bank account. Freezing your Chex Systems report would prevent this. And, yes, your Chex report would have to be thawed if you wanted to open a new bank accont, change banks, etc. A PITA indeed, but worth it, IMHO.
Are we certain?
From this link
ChexSystems Freeze Information Web Page
Please be advised that security freeze requirements do not apply to prescreening inquiries made by creditors who may want to offer preapproved credit or demand deposit account information service companies.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:18 am

chuckb84 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:27 am
It took several tries with Equifax, but I have frozen: Equifax, Experian and Transunion.

https://freeze.transunion.com/sf/securi ... derProcess

https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freeze/j ... IDInfo.jsp

https://www.experian.com/freeze/center.html‬

https://www.innovis.com/personal/securityFreeze

https://www.chexsystems.com/web/chexsys ... BIS9nQSEh/

FYI, equifax said that neither I or DW had accounts compromised but I got free credit freezes for us both. So, 5 agency freeezes x 2 (DW and I) cost me $40 ($10 per). Chex, equifax, and experian did not charge. My state seems to have a $10 fee so not sure how these agencies decide. Maybe equifax is not charging anyone at this time for good will building? I'm sure they will have a lot to answer for in these coming days and months.
Last edited by AntsOnTheMarch on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

aj76er

Post by aj76er » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:33 am

My other concern is fake tax returns. Haven't seen that mentioned here much. Any concern about this?

Only advice I've seen online is to file early. Would filing for an extension provide any protection?
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:46 am

aj76er wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:33 am
My other concern is fake tax returns. Haven't seen that mentioned here much. Any concern about this?

Only advice I've seen online is to file early. Would filing for an extension provide any protection?
I wrote about tax return vulnerability in this message:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=227226#p3523950

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:51 am

2pedals wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:13 am
samsoes wrote:
SquawkIdent wrote:
I have a question about freezing Chex Systems. Is it correct that Chex Systems is used when opening new bank accounts? And would this be recommended do to because of this leak? I assume I could thaw as neccessary if I needed a new bank account? Thanks. :sharebeer
Freezing your Chex Systems reports would thwart a hacker from opening a bank account in your name. Such a fraudulent account could be used to launder drug money, launder money used to fund terrorist activities, organized crime activities, etc. Since the hackers obtained driver's license and other identifying information from the breach, they could indeed produce false identification to open a fraudulent bank account. Freezing your Chex Systems report would prevent this. And, yes, your Chex report would have to be thawed if you wanted to open a new bank accont, change banks, etc. A PITA indeed, but worth it, IMHO.
Are we certain?
From this link
Please be advised that security freeze requirements do not apply to prescreening inquiries made by creditors who may want to offer preapproved credit or demand deposit account information service companies.
Yes, we are certain.

What you quoted about preapproved offers has nothing to do with opening a bank account. The one of the final steps in the actual account opening process would fail.

We are certain, indeed.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren at Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

GW208

Post by GW208 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:52 am

samsoes wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:11 am
GW208 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:31 pm
samsoes wrote:
SquawkIdent wrote:
Would freezing your Chex Systems reports make it harder to pay with a check? The reason I ask is while researching Chex Systems I saw a mention on wallet hub that if they had negative information about you some merchants might not accept your check. I assume a freeze might have the same effect but maybe it's worth the headache?
No, freezing the Chex report won't make more difficult to pay by check. Mine's been frozen for years. A frozen report is NOT negative information. Negative information is not paying an overdraft balance, continuing to write checks on a closed account, etc. Freezing is different entirely.
Thanks samsoes.

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:11 pm

samsoes wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:51 am
2pedals wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:13 am
samsoes wrote:
SquawkIdent wrote:
Are we certain?
From this link
Yes, we are certain.

What you quoted about preapproved offers has nothing to do with opening a bank account. The one of the final steps in the actual account opening process would fail.

We are certain, indeed.
I don't quite read it that way but I am not an expert. It seams to say to me that it applies to CREDIT and LOANS not for opening a checking account.
A demand deposit information service company is one that issues reports regarding account closures due to fraud, substantial overdrafts, ATM abuse or similar negative information regarding a consumer, to financial institutions for use only in reviewing a consumer request for a demand deposit account. For this reason, the information contained in your consumer file at ChexSystems may continue to be provided under certain circumstances.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:17 pm

cheapskate wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:39 pm
Froze credit at Equifax, Innovis and Experian. TransUnion wouldn't let me freeze online or on phone, need to talk to agent Monday.

For some reason neither Innovis nor Equifax charged me the $10 (In CA there is a $10 fee). Experian did. Maybe at the first 2 agencies, the freezing is a no-op :)

This CNN link says to keep an eye on bank/brokerage/credit card accounts -

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/09/pf/what ... index.html

I don't get this. Assuming you've taken the usual precautions - have strong passwords + 2 FA on your bank + brokerage accounts, voice authentication/voice password/have frozen outbound write xfers etc, how can compromised Social Security numbers/address/name/DoB cause hackers to drain your accounts or post fraudulent charges to your existing CCs ?
For example, I had most security enabled on my Discover card, but someone called them up and apparently knew enough about me to redeem my rewards balance ($200) to buy gift cards and have them change the password on my online account.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:25 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:17 pm
For example, I had most security enabled on my Discover card, but someone called them up and apparently knew enough about me to redeem my rewards balance ($200) to buy gift cards and have them change the password on my online account.
It costs money to truly identify someone and it would be bad for business to make people come in person.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:31 pm

Uncle Pennybags wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:25 pm
tibbitts wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:17 pm
It costs money to truly identify someone and it would be bad for business to make people come in person.
I was not complaining, just giving an example of how knowing assorted information can allow accounts to be compromised in sometimes indirect ways that you might not think of.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:24 pm

Uncle Pennybags wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:12 pm
How many put in real information to "security" questions; place of birth, mother's maiden name? That's a hackers goldmine. I'm never putting real information down again.
My rule when dealing with businesses and financial institutions is to give out the least amount of real information possible.

Examples:

* When filling out forms online, only complete the fields that are required. (For example, with Equifax, entering your email address is not a requirement even though the field is available.)

* When creating security questions/answers, never use real information as there is no legal requirement to enter real information for your own secret questions and answers.

* On the telephone, when asked for a piece of personal information you don't believe is required or necessary, ask if it is really needed and WHY it is needed. Often it isn't really needed and sometimes they'll allow anything just so they can close their screen.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:38 pm

kjdbonez wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:57 pm
If your credit cards had slightly higher statement balances in the last month or two than you typically have on your statements, this would lower your score a bit.
I generally have a revolving CC utilization that is anywhere from 5-10% of my total available balance but it always gets paid off in full and I can't remember the last time I paid interest. I don't believe my statement balance last month was anything out of the ordinary. I hope that is all it is though, because I assume I'd see a new credit inquiry or something. Would a new bank account or some other thing get factored into FICO that doesn't show up on CreditKarma?
Credit scores don't care if you pay off the balance in full or pay interest. That is not part of their algorithm. They only care about the balance on the monthly statement compared to your available balance. So a higher balance that month because you had a trip or a car repair or the like? Your utilization has gone up, so your score goes down. Even something as trivial as one of the card companies forgetting to report your credit limit in that month can make the scoring algorithm think your utilization has shot up.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:42 pm

mongstradamus wrote:
That depends on your state law. For example, California says credit freezes are free for victims of ID theft. If Experian considers this ID theft and you live in California or one of the states with a similar clause, they would waive the fee. That doesn't mean they're doing it for everyone.

Austintatious

Post by Austintatious » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:26 pm

Turns out this data security breach is better for business than one might have thought, the money-making opportunities limited only by the imagination. Just this morning, I received an email from Experian (purportedly) reminding me that there are hackers out there coveting my email address and hard at work trying to access my email account. It asks if your email is at risk and offers a free Dark Web scan for your email address. All I have to do is click on the icon. It seems that instilling and stoking fear in the consumers' minds is still good for business.

orlandoman

Post by orlandoman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:42 pm

FYI, if you decide to sign up for credit monitoring services, they may require you to lift any freezes you have put on, until your new credit monitoring service is in effect.

This is what Credit Karma says in their FAQ's ...

1. I have a security freeze on my credit reports. Can I still use Credit Karma?
If you’ve placed a freeze on your credit reports, you won’t be able to register for Credit Karma. This is because security freezes generally restrict access to your credit report in order to protect your identity.

2. What if I have a bypass code or temporary lift?
Though you may be able to temporarily remove a freeze for other purposes, like applying for credit, a bypass code or temporary lift will not work on Credit Karma’s site.

3. What if I remove the security freeze?
Once you remove the freeze, you should be able to register for a brand-new account on Credit Karma.
"Not everything you read on the Internet is true", Abraham Lincoln

dmcmahon

Post by dmcmahon » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:08 pm

MnD wrote:
Heh - some of us will just leave it frozen. Over time, I'm guessing they'll be forced to make temporary thaws free by government regs. I'm also hoping financial institutions will be forced by circumstance to add more steps to the authentication processes.

kjdbonez

Post by kjdbonez » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:07 pm

Rupert wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:18 am
Check your credit report that those two bureaus using annualcreditreport.com. No sense speculating about it when checking the reports will resolve the matter.
I just pulled reports from the two credit bureaus and there are no new accounts or inquiries. The only difference in my credit, which is the likely culprit, was that last month my student loans came out of a post-graduate fellowship deferment so instead of having a $0 monthly obligation I had new several hundred $ obligation. So that makes me feel better about this. This week I'm going to try and refinance my loans however, so I don't really want to freeze until that is done unfortunately :/

andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:10 pm

mnaspbh wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:53 pm
Got_Milk2015 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:26 pm
I wonder if those with frozen equifax accounts had their pin number (to unfreeze) compromised as well?
They don't think so, but they don't know.

I'm not filled with optimism, given that this is at least the third time in the last few years that Equifax has suffered a major data leak. But hey, if you were impacted, they're willing to use their superior information-protection technologies to protect your personal information for a year...after they lost it in the first place. :oops:
Weather it leaked or not better question is:
Is there a way to change this PIN for Equifax now- when we already have a freeze?

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:19 pm

kjdbonez wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:07 pm
Rupert wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:18 am
I just pulled reports from the two credit bureaus and there are no new accounts or inquiries. The only difference in my credit, which is the likely culprit, was that last month my student loans came out of a post-graduate fellowship deferment so instead of having a $0 monthly obligation I had new several hundred $ obligation. So that makes me feel better about this. This week I'm going to try and refinance my loans however, so I don't really want to freeze until that is done unfortunately :/
The student loans coming out of deferment sounds like the likely culprit. That will also lower your score.

tj

Post by tj » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:53 pm

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:18 am
chuckb84 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:27 am

https://freeze.transunion.com/sf/securi ... derProcess

https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freeze/j ... IDInfo.jsp

https://www.experian.com/freeze/center.html‬

https://www.innovis.com/personal/securityFreeze

https://www.chexsystems.com/web/chexsys ... BIS9nQSEh/

FYI, equifax said that neither I or DW had accounts compromised but I got free credit freezes for us both. So, 5 agency freeezes x 2 (DW and I) cost me $40 ($10 per). Chex, equifax, and experian did not charge. My state seems to have a $10 fee so not sure how these agencies decide. Maybe equifax is not charging anyone at this time for good will building? I'm sure they will have a lot to answer for in these coming days and months.
Innovis and ChexSystems didn't seem to charge me anything. Neither did Equifax. I paid the $5 fee for Experian and Transunion.

David Scubadiver

Post by David Scubadiver » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:23 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:35 pm
Beck49 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:33 pm
To the question of whether the unique ID for access to frozen accounts might have been included in the breach, the Brian Krebs web site suggests a tentative "no".

Several readers who have taken my advice and placed security freezes (also called a credit freeze) on their file with Equifax have written in asking whether this intrusion means cybercriminals could also be in possession of the unique PIN code needed to lift the freeze.

So far, the answer seems to be “no.”

I saw this, too. The problem is that you can't prove a negative, "the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence."

Victoria
With your private information I am sure they can reset your pin. Heck, if you can do it so can the hackers who have already received all of the information needed to order your free credit reports. :)

The good news is that once everybody is the victim of identity theft, credit scores won't be useful any more, so everybody will be treated equally. At long last, no more worries about maintaining a perfect credit score.

SpideyIndexer

Post by SpideyIndexer » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:31 pm

Is it normal that TransUnion requires one to become a "member" in order to place a credit freeze? There is no charge, just another userid + password each for me and my spouse.

tj

Post by tj » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:33 pm

SpideyIndexer wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:31 pm
Is it normal that TransUnion requires one to become a "member" in order to place a credit freeze? There is no charge, just another userid + password each for me and my spouse.

Yes, TU required a login.Though presumably not if you do it by phone: 1-888-909-8872

SpideyIndexer

Post by SpideyIndexer » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:57 pm

Yes, thanks, phone call worked. Funny, they did not prompt for a credit card payment for myself, but did for my spouse. Could the first one at a given address be free?

Am not over 65, nor a victim of ID theft (that I know.)

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:22 pm

NYTimes: After Equifax Breach, Here’s Your Next Worry: Weak PINs

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/10/your ... icle-click
Best Wishes, | Joe

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:45 pm

SpideyIndexer wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:57 pm
Yes, thanks, phone call worked. Funny, they did not prompt for a credit card payment for myself, but did for my spouse. Could the first one at a given address be free?

Am not over 65, nor a victim of ID theft (that I know.)
TransUnion:
They only charged me for my credit freeze but the next morning I got a receipt from them for DW's as well. Both charges are pending on my cc account so I suspect hey will charge you for both. They were the only one of the 5 that forced me to open an online account to get this done and it was by far the most frustrating experience. I had lots of problems and when I looked at their website compatibility specs, they listed internet explorer as a compatible browser but not safari. Very 1999 of them. :x I finally got it done with the Mozilla browser.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:27 pm

I just tried to sign up for identity leak protection, and the website page wants me to agree with the terms of the agreement, but there is no link to accept the terms. Very frustrating!
Gordon

mongstradamus

Post by mongstradamus » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:55 pm

Uncle Pennybags wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:25 am
mongstradamus wrote:
Equifax wanted a credit card to get this "free" protection. You are on auto renew and have to opt out.
You must also now send a real paper letter to Equifax telling them you want to opt out of the arbitration clause you just agreed to.
For me they didn't require anything the other two TU and EX required payment. It may have been an exception for me because my EQ account was compromised. I just filled out everything on the EQ freeze credit page and it went through. The slightly annoying part is the pin they gave me and how easy it is to figure out pin numbers.

Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:32 pm

David Scubadiver wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:23 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:35 pm
Beck49 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:33 pm
To the question of whether the unique ID for access to frozen accounts might have been included in the breach, the Brian Krebs web site suggests a tentative "no".

Several readers who have taken my advice and placed security freezes (also called a credit freeze) on their file with Equifax have written in asking whether this intrusion means cybercriminals could also be in possession of the unique PIN code needed to lift the freeze.

So far, the answer seems to be “no.”

I saw this, too. The problem is that you can't prove a negative, "the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence."

Victoria
With your private information I am sure they can reset your pin. Heck, if you can do it so can the hackers who have already received all of the information needed to order your free credit reports. :)

The good news is that once everybody is the victim of identity theft, credit scores won't be useful any more, so everybody will be treated equally. At long last, no more worries about maintaining a perfect credit score.
I froze my credit with the top three after the OPM data breach(es). I've once had to temporarily "thaw", and it was conveniently (disturbingly) easy to thaw my credit without PINs at two of the three companies -- EquiFax actually was the pain in the butt to get my PIN reset, requiring me to write them a letter. To be fair, that just required a photocopy of an ID and a 2-3 week wait, which isn't anything anyone determined to "thaw" my credit couldn't do. It does make it harder for the common criminal though, because there are easier targets.

The other two companies made me worry a little how easy it was to reset my PIN or thaw my credit, just with a little bit of freely available personal information. Note: it's freely available because some states publish voter information (easy to find) and some organizations (OPM) don't always keep personal information personal (slightly harder to get ahold of).

I own no tin hats, but it sure would be nice if there weren't companies who existed solely to collect as much personal information as possible then sell it. Or at least, if there was a HIPAA-like relative that covered this, there may be penalties to discourage poor security practices.* Is there any regulation/law/rule like HIPAA for PII/financial information?

*No desire to walk the line on forum rules regarding proposed policies.
(Discussions about enacted laws or regulations that affect the individual investor. Note that discussions of proposed laws or regulations are prohibited.
Proposed regulations that are directly related to investing may be discussed if and when they are published for public comments.)

angelbell

Post by angelbell » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:31 pm

Some of my CD's are maturing soon, and I usually check around for best rates to renew. Would freezing my credit prevent me from opening online savings accounts and CD's too? If that is the case, I'd have to unfreeze to open a new account, and then freeze again at all the credit bureaus (Equifax, TransUnion, Experian, ChexSystem, Innovis)?

PVW

Post by PVW » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:23 am

MnD wrote:
Do you have any evidence of this, or did you just make it up?

Credit rating companies make money by aggregating your data and charging for access. How is it a boon for them to charge for restricting their ability to deliver their product?

Freezing your credit reports and monitoring your own information is about the only thing we can do to minimize the effects of these types of data leaks. Creating doubt about this process is not helpful.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:29 am

PVW wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:23 am
Credit rating companies make money by aggregating your data and charging for access. How is it a boon for them to charge for restricting their ability to deliver their product?
Equifax is doing a good job. They will make money selling ID protection the forces arbitration; and no one goes to jail.

learning_head

Post by learning_head » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:42 am

Like others on this thread, I noticed Equifax freezes for free despite legal ability to collect fees for the freeze. Innovis and Chexsystems were free as well.

I noticed TransUnion offers "TrueIdentity" product for free which allows on to easily "Lock your TransUnion report". Has anyone had experience with that?

According to http://www.mymoneyblog.com/transunion-t ... eview.html

it might be the same thing as the freeze but for free... ?

PVW

Post by PVW » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:07 am

learning_head wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:42 am

I noticed TransUnion offers "TrueIdentity" product for free which allows on to easily "Lock your TransUnion report". Has anyone had experience with that?

According to http://www.mymoneyblog.com/transunion-t ... eview.html

it might be the same thing as the freeze but for free... ?
I have no experience, but here are their terms of service https://www.trueidentity.com/legal/service-agreement
You understand that in order to receive the free products, you must agree to receive targeted offers by TransUnion and other third parties.
They also have a paid Premium Membership, but with a quick search I couldn't tell what is free and what you have to pay for. They do offer credit monitoring and credit freezes for Transunion, Experian and Equifax, but I don't know if that is all free.

So it looks like a marketing ploy, but if you can live with that it might be useful.

learning_head

Post by learning_head » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:21 am

PVW wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:07 am
I have no experience, but here are their terms of service https://www.trueidentity.com/legal/service-agreement
You understand that in order to receive the free products, you must agree to receive targeted offers by TransUnion and other third parties.
So it looks like a marketing ploy, but if you can live with that it might be useful.
Thanks! If that's all, ignoring some junk mail may not be too bad of a price to pay. I also found this in same document:
"while a credit lock prevents most third party access to your credit report, a third party may access a locked report in certain instances that are considered a low risk for identity theft, such as official government investigations, collection activities and insurance underwriting and claims administration."
I wonder if this is BETTER than credit freeze because I was actually thinking it might be a pain to thaw the report every time I want to shop around for insurance.

Further, normal credit thaw / refreeze may take a while I gather (no personal experience though!), while this lock/unlock feature seems instantaneous. Another hidden benefit for when you need to thaw for a limited time? (Not to mention, thaw/refreeze would be free, not cost money like it does in my state)

Rainmaker41

Post by Rainmaker41 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:26 am

Experian charged our credit cards multiple times while we tried to freeze our credit. Frozen for one of us, not for the other. I notified both credit card companies' fraud teams that I was charged multiple times for services not provided, and that if the charges posted I would dispute them.
My username is not about money, but is my old online gaming username. I can't say that I make a great deal of money; I just hate spending it. Married the most loving woman in the world October 2017.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:36 am

SpideyIndexer wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:31 pm
I signed up for an account. Then they tried to hit me with the charge at the very end of the process. I know I should protect myself, but I have a problem paying money to these guys. Just seems to enable bad behavior.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:38 am

PVW wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:23 am

Do you have any evidence of this, or did you just make it up?

Freezing your credit reports and monitoring your own information is about the only thing we can do to minimize the effects of these types of data leaks. Creating doubt about this process is not helpful.
It is a win/win for them. If you let them do credit reports, they make money. If you do not let them do credit reports, they make money. Seems like a good business to be in.