Equifax customer information leak

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
AntsOnTheMarch

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:40 am

triceratop wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:28 pm
AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:08 pm
Update: Equifax issued a statement Friday evening. “In response to consumer inquiries, we have made it clear that the arbitration clause and class action waiver included in the Equifax and TrustedID Premier terms of use does not apply to this cybersecurity incident, ”the company said.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... 0af52781f7
Except that their own contract states that the terms and conditions constitute the entirety of your agreement with the company. The PR dept can claim what they want but that doesn't change what the contract states. I don't trust the company.
I don't blame you for not trusting them but I tend to think that the public outrage and political pressure will force them to honor this latest statement. If not, I'm sure some senators would love to take them on. They rarely get such high profile, bipartisan issues they can sink their teeth into.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:50 am

I froze my accounts and H's today. It was all done online. No downloading or uploading of docs was required. We did the 3 major companies plus the 2 that we hadn't heard of before, Innovis and ChexSystems. We ran into a glitch when we were trying to finish H's Transunion freeze--they asked twice where S lived but the answers they offered were not among the cities listed (their info is old). H had to call to complete the freeze. H was able to connect on the phone to finish his Transunion freeze quickly.

By HI law we we're charged the max $5 apiece for two of the freezes but Experian charged $5.20. No charge from Innovis nor ChexSystems.

We have been hacked by OPM breach, possibly Target, Anthem, possibly Experian and now possibly Equifax! We have no need for more CCards or bank accounts or loans, so a credit freeze seems ideal.

Looked into the various "monitoring" offerings and am not impressed so we have not opted to sign up for them. We got several years of clearID, I think it was called for the prior consecutive breaches. Nothing was ever found to be suspicious nor reported.

I think I will send a bill to the president of Equifax as well, for the charge to place these freezes for each ic us AND the time we had to spend doing it!

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:19 am

I was able to complete credit freezes on line this morning for my wife with Equifax, Experian, Innovis, and TransUnion. For me, only Innovis and TransUnion; maybe it's my guilty face? Anyway, for Equifax and Experian I will have to write letters and mail them in via snail mail.

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:30 am

nisiprius wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:07 am
What hurts about this is that I never really had the opportunity not to have an Equifax account (unless I'd decided not to get my first MasterCharge card in 1967 and had chosen to lead a cash-only life for the last fifty years).
Precisely. Those affected by earlier breaches at least had a business relationship with the companies responsible. I wonder whether I should sue for discovery of every entity who has given my PII to Experian and sue them in turn?
Wake up and smell the Alpo

mancich

Post by mancich » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:33 am

As other posters have mentioned in this and other threads, you should take 3 steps immediately:

1. Freeze your credit. it is either free or a very nominal amount. For the few times that you need to apply for new credit, a temporary unfreeze (a few days or a week) is sufficient and cheap
2. Enable two-factor authentication on all relevant sites (Gmail, bank, investment accounts, credit cards, Amazon, etc)
3. Set up automatic text alerts. I have Chase and Bank of America send me a text when ANY charge or debit is made, regardless of the amount. I also receive an e-mail.

These actions don't guarantee you'll be 100% protected, but do go a long way.

I'd also add: check your credit reports at annualcreditreport.com for free, and stagger them (1 credit reporting agency every 4 months). Rinse and repeat the following year.

Stay safe out there. :beer

motorcyclesarecool

Re: Equifax says info stolen. What's my best course of action?

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:43 am

dmcmahon wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:06 am
I don't even know if you can get a new DL# without a big hassle, unless you move to another state. In the other breaches you could change your password or take some other action to restore the security of your account. Here, not so much.
Having moved from State A to State B, gotten a new license in B, and moved back to State A, I can report anecdotally that they simply assigned me my old DL number again. :confused

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:11 am

Whakamole wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:00 pm
There has been some suspicious activity on the options front too - someone bought puts at $135 a few weeks ago: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/08/suspect ... rofit.html
This one is very fishy. Is there a way for some regulatory body to know the identity of the party who bought these puts?

hightower

Post by hightower » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:44 am

Got_Milk2015 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:26 pm
I wonder if those with frozen equifax accounts had their pin number (to unfreeze) compromised as well?
That's a good question. According to the Times article, this may actually be the case. That's one of the reasons they are saying this was such a bad breach.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/busi ... collection

CWRadio

Post by CWRadio » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:48 am

Can you freeze your credit for yourself and wife at the same time at each credit bureau? Or do you need to do a separate application for each? Thanks

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:54 am

hightower wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:44 am
Got_Milk2015 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:26 pm
I wonder if those with frozen equifax accounts had their pin number (to unfreeze) compromised as well?
That's a good question. According to the Times article, this may actually be the case. That's one of the reasons they are saying this was such a bad breach.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/busi ... collection
Krebs is reporting (or was, as of late yesterday) that PIN numbers were not compromised.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:55 am

CWRadio wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:48 am
Can you freeze your credit for yourself and wife at the same time at each credit bureau? Or do you need to do a separate application for each? Thanks
Separate application for each social security number

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:10 am

In this NY Times article, you can put any name and number and get an answer:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/your ... v=top-news
By Friday morning, this had changed, and I got a “your personal information may have been impacted by this incident” notification. Progress. Except as my friend Justin Soffer pointed out on Twitter, you can enter a random name and number into the site and it will tell you the same thing. Indeed, I typed “Trump” and arbitrary numbers and got the same message.
Best Wishes, | Joe

Pobre

Post by Pobre » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:41 am

I thought I saw a post on this thread yesterday about placing a security freeze at Chex. I couldn't find it today, but I found the information below on my own. Was that post deleted? Maybe I just missed it when I looked again.

Chex Systems Security Freeze
https://www.chexsystems.com/web/chexsys ... lacefreeze

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:46 am

I got to the Equifax link from a CNN article: How to find out if you're affected by the Equifax hack (noted earlier in the thread)

The website: Getting Started

My number hit for a potential impact, my husband's number did not.

Actually, I'm already subscribed to Experian's Protect My ID service. Why? From the 2015 Office of Personnel Management security breach. I have free monitoring for a few years. So far, all OK.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Uncle Pennybags

Re: Equifax says info stolen. What's my best course of action?

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:49 am

These credit freezes won't stop the most harmful effects. You could have a warrant issued for your arrest if these thieves give your information to LE when they get arrested. You wouldn't even know until it's too late. No bank will help you then.
motorcyclesarecool wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:43 am
I can report anecdotally that they simply assigned me my old DL number again. :confused
A state issued license is like a SS number it doesn't change. They want to keep a lifetime track. My NJ fishing license number is forever. Three strikes of over the limit and it's gone, no coming back for a new number.
JMacDonald wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:10 am
In this NY Times article, you can put any name and number and get an answer:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/your ... v=top-news
By Friday morning, this had changed, and I got a “your personal information may have been impacted by this incident” notification. Progress. Except as my friend Justin Soffer pointed out on Twitter, you can enter a random name and number into the site and it will tell you the same thing. Indeed, I typed “Trump” and arbitrary numbers and got the same message.
These clowns have to go to jail. Enough is enough.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:55 am

Everyone please write your congressmen/women. I just did. It doesn't help to just keep venting to each other.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:58 am

So I had never thought about this before but surely there must be services that will freeze and unfreeze at all services an infinite number of times with one request with a subscription model. So you pay a couple of dollars month or whatever and can freeze now, unfreeze briefly for someone to check your credit, freeze again, repeat, using just one account. Another account which will probably be breached eventually of course, but that's life. Seems trivial and a good business model, since they would be buying the services from the credit bureaus wholesale so two cents on the dollar or whatever. I mean, without that how do all our Boglehead credit card churners survive? They'd pay more in freeze fees than they'd earn in credit card rewards.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:01 am

Uncle Pennybags wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:49 am
These clowns have to go to jail. Enough is enough.
Please state your concerns in a civil, factual manner. General rants are off-topic.
Rupert wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:55 am
Everyone please write your congressmen/women. I just did. It doesn't help to just keep venting to each other.
Please don't use this platform to promote any cause - regardless of merit. The point has been made, let's move on.

As a reminder, political comments are off-topic.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:28 am

Just froze credit online at Experian and Equifax. Very quick and simple. Since I am a senior, there is no charge in NC.

I tried Trans Union online. I had a little difficulty finding it. It was unable to verify my identify, not sure why. It provided a phone number which was automated and also could not confirm my identity. Apparently, I answered one of their nonsensical questions wrong (I do not know if similarly named people live in another city/state). I will have to wait until monday to talk with a real person during business hours.

IMO, the Trans Union website and process leave much to be desired. But I suppose they have zero per cent incentive to do any better. There is no consequence for lousy service.

mrc

Post by mrc » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:31 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:46 am
Actually, I'm already subscribed to Experian's Protect My ID service. Why? From the 2015 Office of Personnel Management security breach. I have free monitoring for a few years. So far, all OK.
That's interesting. Our OPM monitoring service is via myidcare. We froze our reports with the big 4 + Chex. We don't get the active monitoring service b/c our reports are frozen. CS said they can't monitor if the report is frozen. Choice seemed to be freeze and lock out everyone (including the monitoring services), or unfreeze for the service so they can let you know AFTER you are breached.
A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you're doing it right, but not enough to know you're doing it wrong. — Neil deGrasse Tyson

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:39 am

dmcmahon wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:54 am
TheTimeLord wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:05 am
Sheepdog wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:51 am
bberris wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:47 am
sid hartha wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:03 am
I am starting a company to rate the credit raters. Equifax will not be getting a very good rating.
But you have to give them high marks for waiting 9 weeks to release the news.
Just in;
Equifax executives sold stock after data breach, before informing public http://www.marketwatch.com/story/equifa ... op_stories
This was out there, apparently sale was not that long after breach discovered and company claiming the execs involved were not aware. If the amount of money involved is the $1.8 million (over 4 execs) I have seen reported I am inclined to believe them because you would have to be total moron the risk having the Feds make an example of you for that sum.
Well, the way these clowns operate, we can't rule out total moron can we?
I don't want to defend the company or its officers, but Rule 10b5-1 doesn't require anyone to make public disclosure that she or he has adopted or transacted under a plan meant to qualify for the defense offered by the rule. Company policies vary, but it's not typical that company policy would require such disclosure either. That said, it has become fairly common for officers and directors to indicate in Form 4 filings (which are required after a purchase or sale) to include some self-serving statement that the reported transaction was made pursuant to a 10b5-1 plan when applicable. However, the absence of such language doesn't indicate that the transaction was not made pursuant to such a plan, and there may be good reasons (from the seller's perspective and the company's perspective) to refrain from making such voluntary disclosure.

lawnboss

Post by lawnboss » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:48 am

Went online and added security freezes to Equifax, Experian, TransUnion, Innovis, and ChexSystems for me and wife. Apparently this is free in our state (wow!).

Quick question: will the security freeze interfere with my ability to get my annual free credit reports online?

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:49 am

We've read the entire thread, and have concerns like everyone else as both of our names/SS#'s report we may have been impacted.

This article discusses the pros and cons of changing your SS #: https://www.dailydot.com/layer8/change- ... umber-ssn/

That certainly doesn't appear to be an option - especially with this breach. It does raise the issue of "some other form of government-sanctioned, universally administered, unique identifier—one that doesn’t also double as a kind of secret password—would likely go a long way with solving the security problems inherent in Social Security numbers."

Has anyone checked with their particular state if getting one's DL # changed due to this breach is even a possibility?

If phone #'s were part of the information in the breach, wouldn't signing up for text alerts from your bank - or any financial account - be unwise as those alerts would be sent to an identify theft phone opened in your name and number? This is in response to a post above about adding the text alerts would help guarantee that you are 100% covered. It strikes me that this would not be the case in the event of somebody walking into a cellular phone plan store with your identity information and opening an account in your name with your number (which would immediately shut off your phone) would receive those alerts.

Odd timing with this breach being announced as we are in the process of getting a new mortgage. :oops:

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:56 am

lawnboss wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:48 am

Quick question: will the security freeze interfere with my ability to get my annual free credit reports online?
No

bayview

Post by bayview » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:03 am

carolinaman wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:28 am
Just froze credit online at Experian and Equifax. Very quick and simple. Since I am a senior, there is no charge in NC..
Good Lord, a consumer-friendly law in NC! I did not know that there was such a thing. :shock: :D

Link to NC Attorney General website discussing this:
http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/5ec7dfeb-a2 ... redit.aspx
North Carolina consumers can get a free security freeze online under NC law. Identity theft victims who have filed a police report, their spouses, and consumers over the age of 62 can also get free security freezes by mail or phone.
Residents in other states may want to check their fees. I googled on north carolina credit freeze fee, and this was the first hit.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

Case59

Post by Case59 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:04 am

For the last couple of years, since the Experian breach, I've carried Equifax's "premier"protection (though one does wonder what I've been paying for). Today I went into Transunion and Experian to freeze the reports there. No problem at Transunion. Experian, through which I had had an account under ProtectMyID because of their breach, wouldn't recognize my ID and password (though maybe ProtectMyID was separate from Experian proper?), then when I tried to set up a new account, the site said I couldn't freeze online but rather had to send a written request via something called "US Mail."

I've never had a whiff of a problem with my credit or my credit reports, and all current reports and credit cards show no issue. Think Experian is just tripped up in its shorts because of its prior issues combined with the overwhelming number of people contacting it since the Equifax issue? Or should I be concerned here.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get you."
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain

Coachrhino11

Post by Coachrhino11 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:29 am

Just curious, might be dumb question. If I want to freeze credit but have balance on a CC about to pay off can I or must I wait?

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:46 am

Coachrhino11 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:29 am
Just curious, might be dumb question. If I want to freeze credit but have balance on a CC about to pay off can I or must I wait?
The credit bureaus only collect information from your financial account. You can freeze your credit reports at any time. You will need to unfreeze them if you apply for credit somewhere.
Best Wishes, | Joe

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:48 am

Coachrhino11 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:29 am
Freezing your credit reports in no way impacts the existing credit cards or loans that you have. You can still use and pay off your existing credit cards the same way you always do. Freezing your credit reports just makes it very hard to open NEW credit cards or loans in your name.

Expro

Post by Expro » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:51 am

If you have a security freeze on your Equifax credit report, you cannot use the IRS's "View Your Tax Account"
The IRS uses the Equifax identity verification system during the Create Account process.

"If you have placed a credit security freeze with Equifax, you must contact Equifax to have the freeze temporarily removed before continuing. Once registration is complete, you may contact Equifax to resume the freeze. "

The site also states...

"A soft inquiry will show up on your credit report to let you know that the IRS accessed your credit report information. This will not increase or decrease your credit score and lenders will not be able to see this. "

I had the impression that a soft pull was not stopped by a credit freeze.

Huh. I wonder what other websites use the same process?
What a mess.

BBBob

Post by BBBob » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:56 am

carolinaman wrote:

I tried Trans Union online....It was unable to verify my identify....
Ditto!! And now I'm sitting here with all the pins and other info for each of the credit agencies wondering where to put them where they won't get stolen or lost. I feel less secure than before!! :annoyed
Last edited by BBBob on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Austintatious

Post by Austintatious » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:01 am

Sheepdog wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:52 am
Equifax says that both my wife's and my account may be impacted. I have to wait until 9/13 to sign up, but my wife can sign on on 9/10.

Interesting side comment: On Tuesday, my wife attempted to get her free annual credit report for Equifax. She could not receive it on line and was instructed to fill out a form to request it by US Mail. She did (or, rather, I did for her.). I can only wonder if the two instances are connected.
Having been told that my account may have been impacted, I also sought to avail myself of their free year of monitoring and was told I'd be able to sign up on 9/12. This morning, I received an email from Equifax starting off with an exuberant "You're in!", congratulating me for my wisdom in having availed myself of their "subscription credit monitoring service" and advising me that I'd be billed at the "low cost of only $19.95 per month (plus tax where applicable)". There was no mention in the email of the security breach or that this service is to be provided to the aggrieved (that'd be me :annoyed ) free of charge for a year. And there's no mention as to how they'll accomplish their billing and collection.

I'll be checking with Equifax to make sure they're not making my life any more complicated than they already have. Anyone else receive such an email from Equifax? If so, do you know any more about it?

plymster

Post by plymster » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:14 am

I was considering freezing my credit until I thought:

If basically all the information that Equifax has on you (SSN, Addresses, credit cards, etc) is in the hands of some criminal, what's to prevent them from unfreezing your credit online? The aggravation? The measly $10 fee?

I'm having a hard time convincing myself to go through the time, trouble, and aggravation of freezing my credit, though realistically, it's probably better than nothing.

energy2025

Post by energy2025 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:17 am

"May have been impacted" response I get when checked online..

Why can't be yes or no?

Regards,
Energy115

BBBob

Post by BBBob » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:24 am

plymster wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:14 am

If basically all the information that Equifax has on you (SSN, Addresses, credit cards, etc) is in the hands of some criminal, what's to prevent them from unfreezing your credit online? The aggravation? The measly $10 fee?

I'm having a hard time convincing myself to go through the time, trouble, and aggravation of freezing my credit, though realistically, it's probably better than nothing.
You need a PIN to unfreeze it, which they assign when you apply for the freeze. (Yah, yah..another hack at Equifax gets the PIN, so you get yet another pin, etc. etc. Welcome to the 21st Century!!)
Last edited by BBBob on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:26 am

Expro wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:51 am
I had the impression that a soft pull was not stopped by a credit freeze.
Soft pulls by companies with which you already are doing business may not be affected by the credit freeze. But "doing business" from the perspective of a credit report means the company is listed on your credit report, such as an existing credit card account or loan account. You really don't want to be "doing business" from the perspective of a credit report with the IRS. That usually means you owe back taxes to the IRS.

plymster

Post by plymster » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:27 am

BBBob wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:24 am
plymster wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:14 am

You need a PIN to unfreeze it, which they assign when you apply for the freeze. (Yah, yah..another hack at Equifax gets the PIN, so you get yet another pin, etc. etc. Darn the 21st Century!!)
So what happens if I lose my PIN? Verification by...?

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:29 am

BBBob wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:56 am
carolinaman wrote:

Ditto!! And now I'm sitting here with all the pins and other info for each of the credit agencies wondering where to put them where they won't get stolen or lost. I feel less secure than before!! :annoyed
Keeping the info in a fire-proof safe at home, with a copy in a bank's safe deposit box, should keep it relatively safe-guarded. While thieves could easily break into the average home fire-proof safe, those committing home burglaries are not usually sophisticated enough to know what to do with the PINs.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:33 am

plymster wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:27 am
Each company has a different procedure. But usually it boils down to getting verified again, then having to wait for a new PIN to be sent by postal mail.

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:41 am

BBBob wrote:
carolinaman wrote:

I saved PDF files with all the PINS and other freeze info from each bureau (scanned paper to PDF when necessary) in an encrypted VeraCrypt container where I also keep various statements and other sensitive PDF files.

I save the encrypted container in a cloud folder so it's automatically backed up if my hard drive fails, and occasionally back up a copy to other locations too just to be safe.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:49 am

So I have thought about freezing my credit before but did not want to spend $30 ( $10 for each of the 3 major players, fees vary by state)

The Equifax breech pushed me over the fence. I pulled my credit report to look for anything that should not be there and then proceeded to freeze my credit with Equifax, TransUnion, & Experian.

As mentioned Equifax's offer for free credit monitoring will opt you out of any class action that is sure to arise. (unless you notify them in writing within 30 days that you do not wish to opt out) Also as mentioned, credit monitoring only notifies you once a problem has began, you still have to deal with the problem!

In hindsight I should have done this already, really didn't like the idea of having to pay to do it, but am glad it is now done.

The idea of my information being available on the Dark Web was enough for me to take action. $30 is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Also ran across the permanent opt out for unsolicited credit card & insurance offers link. I printed that off to mail in. I believe I did the 5 year opt out before years ago, you have to mail in the permanent opt out from. I believe this does not prevent businesses that you already do business with from sending offers / junk mail.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

plymster

Post by plymster » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:52 am

Mudpuppy wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:33 am
plymster wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:27 am
Each company has a different procedure. But usually it boils down to getting verified again, then having to wait for a new PIN to be sent by postal mail.
Which is kinda the point. You have to get verified again with the same information the crooks already have. There must also be ways to alter the address it's sent to, otherwise you'd have situations where people who've moved and forgotten/never received their PIN would just have their credit frozen forever.

At this point, the crooks have all the information the credit agencies have. The credit agencies can no longer verify the real person from the fake one.

All that said, freezing your credit is at least one stumbling block they'd have to go through. I suppose it keeps you from being low hanging fruit.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:57 am

I wonder what percent of consumers have frozen their credit? I froze mine years ago after a similar "hack". I tried googling for the approx. percentage with no luck. If a person has frozen credit are they no longer a revenue stream at all for the credit bureaus?

chevca

Post by chevca » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:08 pm

This just in.... some time in the future, some hacker out there will get into a system that has all your personal info. It's what they try to do day in and day out. :happy

It's highly likely most or all of our info is out there somewhere already. Monitor your accounts, freeze your credit if you want, and get on with life. :beer

Pobre

Post by Pobre » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:17 pm

Obviously, your name, DOB, SSN, driver's license number, etc. are no longer reliable ways to identify you.

Ooh, the time is very near, if not already here:

Revelation 13:16-18
"And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six
."

DISCLAIMER: not a religious post, just a bit of humor. :happy
Last edited by Pobre on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

coincollector

Post by coincollector » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:22 pm

Another great reason to be debt free for life and never use a credit card. It's the only way to stay out of these companies databases.

Fess McGee

Post by Fess McGee » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:53 pm

Yesterday I froze Eq, Ex, TU, Innovis and Chex for wife and I. $10 each for the big 3. Free for other 2. For those 2, the PINs get sent thru the mail. Big 3 were all online. TU website was awful but finally got it done.

Bitter pill having to pay that $ to Equifax. I guess I can now cancel my Exp credit monitoring which had gotten too expensive anyway.

My wife freaked out when I told her froze our credit. She thought it meant no more credit cards.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:57 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:29 am
BBBob wrote:
carolinaman wrote:

Keeping the info in a fire-proof safe at home, with a copy in a bank's safe deposit box, should keep it relatively safe-guarded. While thieves could easily break into the average home fire-proof safe, those committing home burglaries are not usually sophisticated enough to know what to do with the PINs.
I'll just keep my PINs in Lastpass as secure encrypted notes. No need to write anything down.

tpetsch

Post by tpetsch » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:12 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:57 pm
Mudpuppy wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:29 am
BBBob wrote:
carolinaman wrote:

I'll just keep my PINs in Lastpass as secure encrypted notes. No need to write anything down.
And what happens after hackers break into Lastpass? ...That would be on my top 10 list if I was a criminal hacker.

cheapskate

Post by cheapskate » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:39 pm

Froze credit at Equifax, Innovis and Experian. TransUnion wouldn't let me freeze online or on phone, need to talk to agent Monday.

For some reason neither Innovis nor Equifax charged me the $10 (In CA there is a $10 fee). Experian did. Maybe at the first 2 agencies, the freezing is a no-op :)

This CNN link says to keep an eye on bank/brokerage/credit card accounts -

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/09/pf/what ... index.html

I don't get this. Assuming you've taken the usual precautions - have strong passwords + 2 FA on your bank + brokerage accounts, voice authentication/voice password/have frozen outbound write xfers etc, how can compromised Social Security numbers/address/name/DoB cause hackers to drain your accounts or post fraudulent charges to your existing CCs ?