What is the main purpose of holding your current job?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
flyingaway

What is the main purpose of holding your current job?

Post by flyingaway » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:20 am

I don't know how to create a poll, so I just ask. What is the main purpose of holding your current job? I figured out the following possible reasons, you are free to list anything that is not on the list.

1. I really like my job, I could do it for free, like a volunteer.
2. I do my job to make a living, no more no less.
3. I do not like my job very much, but I need the money, so I hang on.
4. I hate my job, I will quit immediately once I reach financial independence.

For me, in 20 years, my feeling about my job changes from 1 to 4, currently at 3, almost reaches 4.

jebmke

Re: What is the main purpose of holding your current job?

Post by jebmke » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:32 am

I'm retired but when I was working, I would have said (mostly): I like my job but I expect to be compensated for my work.

When I started my career I made a vow to not take a job just for the money or title.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:49 am

OP,

1.5 -> I like my job but not so much that I am willing to work for free.

I work from home. No commute. Plenty of free time for exercise. Pretty decent pay.

KlangFool

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:01 am

#2 here.

If I was single I would quit today and do something part time. But, I am married with 3 kids, the oldest to start college next fall. My job has amazing benefits which is one of the reasons I will likely have to put in another 8-10. That being if they don't do a reduction in force or eliminate the position. Which are both equally likely.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

CoAndy

Post by CoAndy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:02 am

"Because I can't sing or dance". Rocky Balboa

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:16 am

Same for me :
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:27 am

SimonJester wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:16 am
Same for me :
Same.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

FinanceGeek

Post by FinanceGeek » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:37 am

1.5 --> it provides access to large group health insurance, with a much better provider network than I could get (at any price) with individual HI

TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:45 am

#2 If my family could live on a 40% pay cut, I might be able to find something I enjoy doing for "free." I don't take that kind of risk because I've never found any work I'm not willing to do or get excited about.
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:45 am

flyingaway wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:20 am
For me, in 20 years, my feeling about my job changes from 1 to 4, currently at 3, almost reaches 4.
I'd see this as a red flag. The closer I get to FI, the more I move up the chain closer and closer to 1. In looking at my next job, I will choose work life balance as a much higher priority than some extra money and working 70 hrs a week. Maybe this is a sign to look around and evaluate a job change? Life is too short to be miserable, unless the pay is fantastic :greedy

:sharebeer

core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:47 am

I took the career since thats what i do when iam free and also its my hobby.
3 months before, my answer will be mostly 1 but now it goes to 4.
Iam trying to make it to 1 by doing a switch to new company.
Current one have more free time but now i also study few things related to my career.
My hobby is just coding but i dont have software in new project but lot of time I just stare the monitor

Ofcourse, i need paycheck to live on and work is only source of money at this moment.
Last edited by core4portfolio on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:49 am

CoAndy wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:02 am
"Because I can't sing or dance". Rocky Balboa
I can do both ... but no one will pay me for either ;-)

Goal33

Post by Goal33 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:51 am

I like my job but I expect to be paid competitively. Don't really fit any of the options listed.
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

3dream3

Post by 3dream3 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:54 am

I'd have to go with 1.5 like some others on here. I do like my job and "most" of the folks that I work with but am not willing to work for free... especially with kids.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:02 am

KlangFool wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:49 am
OP,

I work from home. No commute. Plenty of free time for exercise. Pretty decent pay.

KlangFool
Same here. I wouldn't do it for free, and IMO anybody who says this is probably lying, but my job satisfaction is several orders of magnitude higher than it has ever been. Amazing work environment, flexibility, autonomy, my work commute is a 7min walk, I do some really cool stuff, I believe there is some upward mobility because it is a rapidly growing company and industry (though I am currently at the top of the food chain), but I would still rather be hanging out with my family and people on this board continually tell me I am way underpaid.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:04 am

Every job I've ever had, I did it for the money. I don't know many, if any, people who do it differently.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:14 am

Education expenses for the kids. One with special needs where school costs as much as private, expensive college and the other in an actual private, expensive college. Until I'm sure what the costs will end up being, I can't leave the job.

Something not on the list that is the next concern beyond all the above is group health insurance. My employer has affordable health insurance available, even if it means that we need a case manager just to work it and find their system problems (we've found 2 major system problems already that the insurer has told us they had to rewrite code in their system to fix). Wife worked as a case manager and taught other case managers and utilization nurses how to do their jobs. Now she works for me, using those skills for no pay.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

rg422

Post by rg422 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:31 am

I enjoy what I do, however I would not do it for free, well maybe 1-2 hours a month. Haha

- Richard

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:37 am

greg24 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:04 am
Every job I've ever had, I did it for the money. I don't know many, if any, people who do it differently.
greg24,

Yes, but I did took a 20% to 30% pay cut in order to change to a job that I like. Up to a point, it is no longer just about money. Especially when you are closer to FI.

KlangFool

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:49 am

flyingaway wrote:
I don't know how to create a poll, so I just ask. What is the main purpose of holding your current job? I figured out the following possible reasons, you are free to list anything that is not on the list.

1.1) I enjoy my job, I find the work stimulating and challenging (occasionally exhausting) and frustrating). My co-workers are excellent, intelligent people and I truly enjoy interacting and working with them. My job provides the flexibility to work from home a few days a week and I am fairly compensated. The compensation from my job enables me to save money for the future, covers my monthly expenses, funds my vacations and hobbies, allows me to buy gifts for friends and family and just as importantly enables me to donate to causes that are meaningful to me. My job helps me to have a great life both now and in the future, how cool is that.
Last edited by TheTimeLord on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

LRDave

Post by LRDave » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:52 am

6. To get out from under the feet of my recently retired spouse...... :D

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:14 am

I would rate my civilian job at about a 2.8. I like the work, but the problem is there isn't enough of it to come anywhere close to filling a 40-hour work week. The boredom really takes a toll on my morale at times.

I would give my army reserves job a 1.5. I do get a sense of purpose by serving in the army and there is usually plenty of work to do on drill weekend and various other missions. However, benefits like the TSP and health insurance are part of the reason why I choose to reenlist time and time again.

I'm doubtful I'll ever have a job that I would give a 1.0. An ongoing 40-hour work week is a major expenditure of time, and I don't think I could make that some of commitment without some sort of tangible reward. I do volunteer for things (i.e. donating blood and spending time at a local animal shelter) but not for 8 hours a day, five days a week.

keystone

Post by keystone » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:22 am

flyingaway wrote:

Ditto for me. I'm usually at a 3 or 4, but sometimes I am at a 1. There's elements of my job that I like and once I am financially independent, I would consider a volunteer gig if I could eliminate the negative aspects.

finjour

Post by finjour » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:23 am

2. I do my job to make a living, no more no less

I am a programmer, and I love to code. However, my job involves a lot more than just coding, and those are the parts that I don't care to do. If I could spend the majority of my time coding, then I'd choose option 1.

telemark

Post by telemark » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:45 am

5. I really need the health insurance.

JuniorBH

Post by JuniorBH » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:36 pm

I'd be 1.5 as well. I really enjoy a lot of what I do, the flexibility I have and the ability to do some travel. But, I certainly wouldn't do it for free, nor would I do it if there was a significant pay decrease.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:30 pm

Definitely #2. My parents were lower middle class and had little to give so I had to make my own way in the world. I was good with computers as a teenager so it made financial sense to go into IT. It's definitely not something I'm overly passionate about but it has afforded me a good living.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:34 pm

For the money, but also for a sense of purpose.

I could do with less stress though. I hope to reach FI within the next 3 years, then I think the
stress will be less, as I could always just walk away.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:36 pm

Oh there ain't no rest for the wicked
Money don't grow on trees
I got bills to pay, I got mouths to feed
There ain't nothing in this world for free

Let's go with #2 for me.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:41 pm

SimonJester wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:16 am
Same for me :
Yup, same here. Just started a new one and it's exciting, but having been in this industry for 33 years, I know that the shiny-ness will wear off pretty quickly and it will be a job. Not one I hate, but one that's tolerable, occasionally fun, sometimes rewarding, and ultimately is there to get me to the finish line. For me at least, work is an enabler for my life. But it isn't my life.

StoneyJB

Post by StoneyJB » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:20 pm

1) My Boss and Partners LEAVE ME ALONE and LET ME DO MY JOB
2) Company pays Insurance Deductible (5Kx2)
3) 401K has GREAT Returns

I have set out date 12-31-19

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:03 pm

Current job is "retired."
But when I was working, and eligible for early retirement, I was a 1.5. When asked why I was still working, my answer was "until one of these 3 things happen: 1. I don't like the work anymore, 2. I find something I'd rather do, or 3. The company doesn't want me any more. So, at age 64, #3 sort of happened. Great buyout package. I took it. Would have been happy to keep working cuz I loved it. But it was an offer I couldn't refuse at age 64.

Retirement is actually a job of sorts, at age 80 I deliver meals on wheels with my DW, and in season, volunteer for TaxAide.

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:24 pm

greg24 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:04 am
Bingo!!

The people I worked with at Megacorp (thousands over decades) easily fell into three categories:

a) they were sane people who admitted (at least to themselves) that they were there for pay and benefits
b) they were delusional (deep down they knew why they were there, but would rarely admit it even to themselves)
c) they were just plain nuts (the competent ones in this category generally wound up sitting in very large offices)
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

fh2000

Post by fh2000 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:28 pm

FinanceGeek wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:37 am
1.5 --> it provides access to large group health insurance, with a much better provider network than I could get (at any price) with individual HI
+1 Same here.

Steve723

Post by Steve723 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:34 pm

Yeah, I'm similar to a lot of the others that said #2: Like my job, don't love it. I still need the money/benefits, but I'm with MathWizard in that 3-year zone of being FI. I could easily see falling into the OMY syndrome though....

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:38 pm

I do it to make a living.

I've had other jobs to make a living. Some were 3s.

I've even done work for "free" (volunteer work - lots of it, close to 10hrs / week some years) and I never once loved what I was doing. I volunteered out of a sense of duty and also because I didnt feel I had the economic means to provide cash donations. These were people that needed help, but I didn't love the work I did. I achieved satisfaction out of helping the people.

My current job:
Work from home
Set my own work hours between 5AM and 10PM local time (Monday through Saturday; minimum 4 days, max 6 days) and 80hrs every two weeks
Can move to a new city/state whenever I want
Low Six figure salary
4wks vacation + 2.5wks sick time
Pension
Pays 1/2 my internet bill.

Still, I don't "love" my work. It is tedious and at times difficult work where you stare at a screen 8-10hrs per day and you aren't creating anything like a software engineer.

I don't really interact with co-workers very much either. A little bit of chatting on messenger and the occasional department meeting. If I were FI I would quit today and find something else to do whether it pays or not (probably go through hike the Applacian trail or Pacific Crest Trail). Maybe I'd learn a new musical instrument and perform music on the street corner talking to random people and declining to accept any money. Work (at my current employer) has no meaning for me other than a paycheck to accrue capital to invest and live off my investments one day.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:52 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:49 am
OP,

KlangFool
+1

On average I'm a 1.5, but it probably ranges from a 1.25 to 1.75 depending on the current project and the business partners involved. Some of them are a real PITA. The worst is when someone pushes for a tight timeline and then send you really basic questions a week after you have delivered your report - a clear indicator that they just got around to reading it! :annoyed

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:35 pm

I need my job to pay the bills but would continue to do it even if that weren't the case. If I won a jackpot over the weekend, I'd show up to work on Monday morning. I love what I do, so I guess I'm at #1. I've been at it for 15 years with hopefully many more to go.

student

Post by student » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:40 pm

Also 1.5.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:42 pm

I really like my job, I could do it for free, like a volunteer, but need $$$ for survival

Hence 1.5

Enjoy meeting people, bring change and the compensation.
Last edited by LiveSimple on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Icecakes

Post by Icecakes » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:44 pm

flyingaway wrote:

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:48 pm

Slacker wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:38 pm

I do it to make a living.

I've had other jobs to make a living. Some were 3s.

I've even done work for "free" (volunteer work - lots of it, close to 10hrs / week some years) and I never once loved what I was doing. I volunteered out of a sense of duty and also because I didnt feel I had the economic means to provide cash donations. These were people that needed help, but I didn't love the work I did. I achieved satisfaction out of helping the people.

My current job:
Work from home
Set my own work hours between 5AM and 10PM local time (Monday through Saturday; minimum 4 days, max 6 days) and 80hrs every two weeks
Can move to a new city/state whenever I want
Low Six figure salary
4wks vacation + 2.5wks sick time
Pension
Pays 1/2 my internet bill.

Still, I don't "love" my work. It is tedious and at times difficult work where you stare at a screen 8-10hrs per day and you aren't creating anything like a software engineer.

I don't really interact with co-workers very much either. A little bit of chatting on messenger and the occasional department meeting. If I were FI I would quit today and find something else to do whether it pays or not (probably go through hike the Applacian trail or Pacific Crest Trail). Maybe I'd learn a new musical instrument and perform music on the street corner talking to random people and declining to accept any money. Work (at my current employer) has no meaning for me other than a paycheck to accrue capital to invest and live off my investments one day.
Hey "slacker." You've got me intrigued. Can you give us some clues as to what type of work this is? I FIREd myself a while back, but the younger crowd might be interested in learning what kind of gig this is. 8-)
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

leonidas

Post by leonidas » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:52 pm

I'm at a 2 right now.
Good pay, great health insurance, nice pension.
Not really excited about what I do and the people I work with but not bad either.
I get to work from home 3 days a week so that's a plus.

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:34 pm

I would never work for free.

If I would, it would not be a job.

I do like what I do very much and I am happy to get paid.

I have not figured out why I need to get paid for what I do, to feel good.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:47 pm

flyingaway wrote:

I am currently between 3 and 4. With a few moments of 1.5 and 2 .

Working mostly for health insurance and to pad retirement.

bogglizer

Post by bogglizer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:18 pm

1. I design probes to places like Venus and the moons of Saturn. Telescopes that look deep into the universe. Why would I be doing anything else?

blevine

Post by blevine » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:56 pm

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

and

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

maroon

Post by maroon » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:05 pm

Also 1.5 - I like my job but wouldn't do it for free.

I like the job well enough that I'd give 2-4 weeks notice if I ever won the lottery. :happy

bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:45 pm

Work from home computer programmer. No commute is great. No more office cubical or people looking over your shoulder. No need to pretend to be busy

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:49 pm

FIREchief wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:48 pm
Hey "slacker." You've got me intrigued. Can you give us some clues as to what type of work this is? I FIREd myself a while back, but the younger crowd might be interested in learning what kind of gig this is. 8-)
First get a minimum of a 4yr degree in Engineering or Physical Sciences. Maybe law school.

Then, be like Albert Einstein (except not in Switzerland).