Denied for Citi Double Cash, but no record of application?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Tamarind

Denied for Citi Double Cash, but no record of application?

Post by Tamarind » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:40 am

Since my promotional rewards rate on my Suntrust cash back card has expired, I thought it would be a good time to get a Citi Double Cash card. However, I recieved a rejection message. I called the application support line to learn why and was told there was no record of my application. :annoyed

Has anyone else experienced this issue with Citi or another bank? Any tips?

My credit is excellent (800+). I don't currently have any other cards or accounts with Citi. I have no derogatory info on my credit reports. I have not applied for credit in over a year. My credit utilization is below 10%.

What could be causing this denial? More importantly, why would Citi's support folks not have any record of the application?

mhalley

Re: Denied for Citi Double Cash, but no record of application?

Post by mhalley » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:48 pm

Its a huge corporation, Not surprising that things get lost from time to time. Perhaps they have identified you as a points chaser? Or your total available credit is too large for your income? Or perhaps you made an error or omission on your lost application?
Here is a list of common causes of cc denial, the only one that might apply to you would be the number of cc and income.
https://www.thebalance.com/denied-credi ... ion-960247
Ahh, Nerdwallet says they have to give you a reason:
There’s no need to guess why your application was rejected. The Fair Credit Reporting Act requires issuers to send you an “adverse action” notice if they deny you credit because of information that appears in your credit report. And if they deny you based on income or another non-credit-related factor, they’ll generally notify you about that as well. Many banks send these notices as electronic statements immediately after you apply; others deliver the news by letter or by phone.
So perhaps you need to ask them for the Adverse Action Notice.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit- ... ard-apply/

Laren

Post by Laren » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:23 pm

I wonder if the reason they have no record of your application is because it didn't process correctly from some kind of system glitch when you submitted it, and that's also the reason for the rejection. Maybe it only sort of halfway processed but was incomplete and therefore triggered a rejection notice. If they really have no record of the application, I might just try again, maybe this time with a different browser. Or try applying over the phone.

celia

Post by celia » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:36 pm

Tamarind wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:40 am
Since my promotional rewards rate on my Suntrust cash back card has expired, I thought it would be a good time to get a Citi Double Cash card. However, I recieved a rejection message. I called the application support line to learn why and was told there was no record of my application. :annoyed
Are you SURE you went to the official Citi site to apply? You may have visited a fake site instead--one that takes your info and uses it for their own "benefit". They even steal the logo and maybe the whole application page!

I would go back to previous browser pages to see where you really went. If that doesn't work try going back to the site the same way you did before. Then take a close look at the url.

Good Luck. I hope your application was just "lost" instead.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:39 pm

celia wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:36 pm
Tamarind wrote:
Are you SURE you went to the official Citi site to apply? You may have visited a fake site instead--one that takes your info and uses it for their own "benefit". They even steal the logo and maybe the whole application page!

I would go back to previous browser pages to see where you really went. If that doesn't work try going back to the site the same way you did before. Then take a close look at the url.

Good Luck. I hope your application was just "lost" instead.
I followed a link from NerdWallet, which has always been safe and reputable. But since you mention this I tried going to the Citi main page and then navigating to the application. Same URL, same page.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:48 pm

mhalley wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:48 pm
Its a huge corporation, Not surprising that things get lost from time to time. Perhaps they have identified you as a points chaser? Or your total available credit is too large for your income? Or perhaps you made an error or omission on your lost application?
Here is a list of common causes of cc denial, the only one that might apply to you would be the number of cc and income.
https://www.thebalance.com/denied-credi ... ion-960247
Ahh, Nerdwallet says they have to give you a reason:
There’s no need to guess why your application was rejected. The Fair Credit Reporting Act requires issuers to send you an “adverse action” notice if they deny you credit because of information that appears in your credit report. And if they deny you based on income or another non-credit-related factor, they’ll generally notify you about that as well. Many banks send these notices as electronic statements immediately after you apply; others deliver the news by letter or by phone.
So perhaps you need to ask them for the Adverse Action Notice.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit- ... ard-apply/
Thanks for these ideas.

I don't know why they'd see me as a points chaser since I'm not one. I'm a lazy cash-back user and I have never churned cards for rewards. Only two cards opened in the last 5 years and no cards closed.

I suppose it's possible that I have too much available credit, depending on their standards. I probably have available credit amounting to at least 30% of my annual income, due to slowly adding cards over the years. I've heard Citi can be unusually cautious. But my debt/income ratio is lower than it was last time I applied for a card and my utilization is very low.

They did say they would send a notice by mail, and I received an email confirming that. But I was hoping not to need to leave my credit unfrozen while I wait for snail mail (I unfroze it a few days ago in anticipation of making this application). Especially weird that I have an application number in the email, but customer support says it's not in the system. Maybe my credit is not actually unfrozen yet even though I gave a business day of lead time?

If it turns out this is a system glitch, are there better ways to reapply to avoid such? Is it easier to apply at a brick and mortar branch?

Goal33

Post by Goal33 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:09 pm

If you have an existing card at Citi bank that you don't use, just do a product conversion.
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:13 pm

Goal33 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:09 pm
If you have an existing card at Citi bank that you don't use, just do a product conversion.
When I considered doing a product conversion at Chase, I found out that it would not have qualified for the initial bonus.

Laren

Post by Laren » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:23 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:13 pm
Goal33 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:09 pm
When I considered doing a product conversion at Chase, I found out that it would not have qualified for the initial bonus.
Excellent thought to keep in mind for most cards, but there isn't a sign-up bonus for the Citi Double card.

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:43 pm

I find that sometimes credit card customer service on the phone is sometimes very poor. Could it be that they could not verify who you were and refused to tell you anything except the information is in the mail.

I had a frozen credit card for no reason. I called them up service was very rude, they would not tell me a thing other than to mail in a copy of my drivers license and a copy of a utility bill to verify who I am. I sent in the information, paid my bill when it came in the mail, waited several weeks and then all of a sudden my credit card was unfrozen. They refused to give no reason why they did this and why I could not get any customer service on the phone. The credit card was issued by Synchronicity. I think identity theft is a very big problem for these banks and they are struggling to control the problem.

wannabeteacher

Post by wannabeteacher » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:23 pm

Funny. It happened to us at best buy today. We go to buy apple macbook air for 874.99. I have a best buy card. My wife doesn't. If we buy with my card we might get $40.00 for future purchase within the next sixty days. She applies for the card, to get $87.49 for next purchase (10% when you apply for
card). Every thing is processed, the salesman tells her that she was approved for Visa Gold with annual fee $59.00, ofcourse she doesn't want it, she wants a regular best buy card with no annual fee, we opt to receive the laptop at home, as it is not in the store, I tell her to give my cell # to receive text messages about time of delivery, as I would be home and she would be at work. I guess, he puts in the cell #, I guess my name goes into the order, he asks if she has a best buy card, she rereplies that she dosn't but I (the husband ) have one. He cancels the order, and restarts putting her name only everywhere and in the end tells her that she was rejected. We both are very upset, it was a very irritating situation and I bought it on my card. Fifty Dollars more than what we could have bought it for.
Now, what explaination is there for her to be approved for Visa Gold and then to be immediately rejectred, for regular card when my cell # was put in.

I am so annoyed I don't remember the exact sequence, but she was the buyer, she was applying, and she was approved for Visa Gold.
Not a pleasant situation to be in on labor day, at a best buy counter

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:12 pm

Tamarind wrote:

My credit is excellent (800+). I don't currently have any other cards or accounts with Citi. I have no derogatory info on my credit reports. I have not applied for credit in over a year. My credit utilization is below 10%.

What could be causing this denial? More importantly, why would Citi's support folks not have any record of the application?
Are you sure that actually submitted the application? When you completed your application and hit send did you get some sort of acknowledgement? I have had issues with online fill-in forms where I either skipped over a question (usually when the form is poorly designed - e.g., I have already selected my state code and they also want me to enter "United States" for a country code :oops: ) or put the answer in the wrong format (e.g., phone number). Some forms are well designed and will put the warning at the bottom of the form near the "send" button so that you know there is an issue, but others just leave you hanging there and the application will eventually time out.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:17 pm

Maybe a bait and switch tactic. This is a growing trend in business. For example, 72 month financing at 0%. And when you ask the dealer about it, they simply tack cost onto the current offer sale price. It should be illegal, but I don't believe the police check into this much, as it's business. They now know you're in the market.
Knowledge is knowing that the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing better than to put the tomato in a fruit salad.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:05 pm

cherijoh wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:12 pm
Tamarind wrote:

Are you sure that actually submitted the application? When you completed your application and hit send did you get some sort of acknowledgement?
Yes, I received a very clear message in the browser.

ThreeBears

Post by ThreeBears » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:28 pm

1. Get a free credit report to confirm that you applied. The denial should show up on your credit report.
2. If you did apply and the bank failed to maintain documentation of the denial for 25 months, then the financial institution has a Regulation B violation. You could report them for the violation, if you wanted to.

In general, a creditor must preserve all written or recorded information connected with an application for 25 months (12 months for business credit) after the date on which the creditor informed the applicant of action taken on an application or of incompleteness of an application

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:07 am

Tamarind wrote:
However, I recieved a rejection message. I called the application support line to learn why and was told there was no record of my application.
Tamarind wrote:
What could be causing this denial?
What was the rejection message? How did you receive it and what, exactly, did it say? If you were denied based on your credit you should have received a letter with reason(s) and the CRA & score used in the decision. Check your reports to see if a hard pull was done. Verify whether or not your reports are frozen though Citi should have indicated that was the problem. There are some creditors that won't even perform a check if someone is on their blacklist (i.e. didn't pay a creditor back so they had to charge off an account/send it for collection, etc) but from what you describe I wouldn't expect you to be in that situation. There are all sort of possible reasons why and no guarantee that we can come up with exactly what happened in your situation. For all we know it could have been some sort of technical glitch somewhere along the line. You'll just have to dig around as best you can and if it looks like you didn't apply then try applying again.
Tamarind wrote:
My credit is excellent (800+).
Not doubting the shape of your credit but you don't have just one score. Your score and credit probably aren't relevant if they are indicating that they have no record of your application.
ThreeBears wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:28 pm
The denial should show up on your credit report.
Reports don't track denials and approvals. A hard pull, however, should show up if it was done.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:14 pm

Credit report should show a hard pull.

IvestForEngineers

Post by IvestForEngineers » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:29 pm

Tamarind wrote:
However, I recieved a rejection message. I called the application support line to learn why and was told there was no record of my application. :annoyed
Exactly same thing happened to me - I have 820+ score with house hold income of 300k+. We applied and got Fidelity Visa signature card ( it gives same 2% )

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:26 pm

Just wanted to circle back to this in case it happens to anyone else and close out.

My first application was denied because I had forgotten to unfreeze my credit.

There was no record because their backend systems or slow. Then the customer service rep gave me really bad advice and told me to apply again.

My second application was denied because I'd already applied. Once I'd thawed my credit, a different customer service rep completed the application and informed me that my application was denied, but couldn't tell me why.

When the rejection letter arrived, I learned that that it'd been denied because (yep, you guessed it) I'd applied more than once in a 60 day period. :oops: Apparently there's nothing they can do to clear the duplicate application, so I'm stuck waiting into November before I can apply again.

My fiancee, meanwhile, applied, was accepted, and is now (jokingly) gloating at me about how she's getting twice the rewards for her daily spending that I am. FWIW, they gave her a very reasonable credit limit for her score and age of credit (over 750 but only 2 years of history). She's feeling really good about how she was able to build up her history and expand her access to credit.