When to give resignation notice

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
jinx

When to give resignation notice

Post by jinx » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:51 pm

Would greatly appreciate advice on an issue regarding resignation notice. Here is the scenario...

I plan to leave my current place of employment for a better opportunity. I am required to give 3 months notice for my current position, but would like to give them a little more as it can be difficult to recruit and hire for my position. The problem is that I won't be fully vested with my retirement for another 4 months. I am concerned if I "do the right thing" and give them 4-5 months notice that they may require me to stay 3 months and I will lose out on the employer contribution.

Should I just wait another month and give them the required 3 months notice? What if I do so and they let me go immediately? (not sure they can legally do so) What would you recommend?

By the way, I reviewed my employment contract and could not find where these issues are discussed.

Thanks!

VictoriaF

Re: When to give resignation notice

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:58 pm

Your concerns are contradictory. On one hand you think that the company will not be able to fill your position. On the other hand, you are worrying that they may let you go immediately after you announce your intention.

If there is a possibility that the company would not keep you beyond the three months specified in the contract, then do not resign until you have exactly three months. If you work the required three months and the company still needs you, they will find a way to keep you, for example, offering to you a lucrative private contract.

Whether the company can let you go before the three months are up is a legal question. You need to find the answer in the contract text or seek a legal advice.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Silverado

Post by Silverado » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:20 pm

Just give the three months in a month. Simple.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:26 pm

The contract requires 3 months. If they needed more protection they would have specified a longer period. You are holding up your end of the contract. Give them 3 months.

delamer

Post by delamer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:28 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:58 pm
Your concerns are contradictory. On one hand you think that the company will not be able to fill your position. On the other hand, you are worrying that they may let you go immediately after you announce your intention.

If there is a possibility that the company would not keep you beyond the three months specified in the contract, then do not resign until you have exactly three months. If you work the required three months and the company still needs you, they will find a way to keep you, for example, offering to you a lucrative private contract.

Whether the company can let you go before the three months are up is a legal question. You need to find the answer in the contract text or seek a legal advice.

Victoria
Agreed. If you have an employment contract, then consult an employment lawyer. There is too much at stake with your pension.

sport

Post by sport » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:29 pm

Just to make sure, I would wait to give notice until after I was vested. Just because you are required to give them notice may not mean that they are required to give you notice. Even if they are, they might just give you severance pay in lieu of service time.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:31 pm

Three Months!?

In the US, I can't say I have ever heard of this long. Are you CEO?

In one job ending, I was leaving as a designer and going to work in the field and would call on the company I was leaving. I gave them a 7 week notice. They started looking for a replacement a week and a half before I left.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Litfury

Post by Litfury » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:16 pm

To above poster: many jobs in healthcare require a least a 90 day notice. Suspect original poster may be a healthcare provider of some sort.

Silverado

Post by Silverado » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:20 pm

sport wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:29 pm
Just to make sure, I would wait to give notice until after I was vested. Just because you are required to give them notice may not mean that they are required to give you notice. Even if they are, they might just give you severance pay in lieu of service time.
Yeah, I did more thinking and agree with being vested first, at least without knowing more about any contract.

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:24 pm

Silverado wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:20 pm
Just give the three months in a month. Simple.
This is what I would recommend as well.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:25 pm

My SO wanted to do the right thing, and gave advance notice. Instead got the boot real fast. Gotta love corporate America. I still think it was the right thing to do -- but her corp. did the wrong thing without blinking.

Unless they contractually can't fire you, or you are positive that will not happen before 3 months, then I would wait until being vested too.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:26 pm

jinx wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:51 pm
Would greatly appreciate advice on an issue regarding resignation notice. Here is the scenario...

I plan to leave my current place of employment for a better opportunity. I am required to give 3 months notice for my current position, but would like to give them a little more as it can be difficult to recruit and hire for my position. The problem is that I won't be fully vested with my retirement for another 4 months. I am concerned if I "do the right thing" and give them 4-5 months notice that they may require me to stay 3 months and I will lose out on the employer contribution.

Should I just wait another month and give them the required 3 months notice? What if I do so and they let me go immediately? (not sure they can legally do so) What would you recommend?

By the way, I reviewed my employment contract and could not find where these issues are discussed.

Thanks!
Can you specify how much money is at stake? Does your next employer have any concern or issue waiting possibly 7 months for your arrival (waiting until you are vested to give notice)?

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:44 pm

I would just give 3 months. But many times employers have reasons to walk you out earlier. If you are in a serious position with access to a ton of things they are worried about protecting their IP and their customer database among many other things. It is better for them to pay you severance.

If you could wait till fully vested, that would be the best. Or negotiate a bonus with your new employer for the unvested amount you would loose in case you are terminated earlier.

jinx

Post by jinx » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:50 pm

Thanks for the great advice. In response to a few questions...

1. Approx $45,000 is at stake. Not an insignificant sum, but < 10% of my current portfolio.

2. My new employer would like me to start in January. Could maybe push them off until February.

I think giving the required 3 months next month is what I will probably do. The reason for wanting to give a longer notice is they are currently short staffed and interviewing for a similar position. I thought it would be to their benefit to consider hiring two instead of one during this round of interviews.

Thanks again!

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:58 pm

jinx wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:50 pm

1. Approx $45,000 is at stake. Not an insignificant sum, but < 10% of my current portfolio.

2. My new employer would like me to start in January. Could maybe push them off until February.

I think giving the required 3 months next month is what I will probably do. The reason for wanting to give a longer notice is they are currently short staffed and interviewing for a similar position. I thought it would be to their benefit to consider hiring two instead of one during this round of interviews.

Thanks again!
Don't worry about what your current employer would do. If it was in their best interest to get rid of you they would. You need to be solely concerned about your best interests. Be professional, get vested, give 3 months notice the day after you are vested. It's just business.
Last edited by Jags4186 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

meebers

Post by meebers » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:06 pm

I told the boss one day I was going to quit immediately. She asked for 2 weeks, I agreed. On the last day of the 2 week notice (Friday), she called me in, after I had been there for 15 minutes, and told me to clock out, don't need you any more. One last little "dig", that I suspected would happen. :shock:

I would hold on until you are vested.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:07 pm

jinx wrote:

Thanks again!
Agree with three months. If they are short-staffed now, they will always be short-staffed. That is a management problem; not yours.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:16 pm

Since you have a contract I would comply with the terms of the contract -- nothing more and nothing less.

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:17 pm

I want to congratulate you on being a caring person and wanting to do the right thing.

Good Karma may come your way, I would not push it though.

I agree with the other posters to stick to the three months resignation notice ( why tempt fate?)
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

denovo

Post by denovo » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:22 pm

jinx wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:51 pm

Thanks!

IMO, read your contract again. You are required to give notice 90 days before separation. How many days notice are they required to give you? Is 90 days mutual or only on your end? I guess there's nothing you can do about it since you can't renegotiate your contract, but it's possible you give them 90 days notice, but they tell you to leave in 2 weeks or 30 days. Something like happened to finite's SO below.
finite_difference wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:25 pm
My SO wanted to do the right thing, and gave advance notice. Instead got the boot real fast. Gotta love corporate America. I still think it was the right thing to do -- but her corp. did the wrong thing without blinking.

Unless they contractually can't fire you, or you are positive that will not happen before 3 months, then I would wait until being vested too.

Billionaire

Post by Billionaire » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:08 pm

As others have said, give the three months notice. If they pull any funny business, file a grievance with your state Labor Board.

JuniorBH

Post by JuniorBH » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:04 pm

Theseus wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:44 pm
I would just give 3 months. But many times employers have reasons to walk you out earlier. If you are in a serious position with access to a ton of things they are worried about protecting their IP and their customer database among many other things. It is better for them to pay you severance.

If you could wait till fully vested, that would be the best. Or negotiate a bonus with your new employer for the unvested amount you would loose in case you are terminated earlier.
I'd vote for this approach; if you can, wait until you're vested and then give notice. I have a 60 day notice clause in my employment agreement, but I've seen colleagues with similar agreements be asked to leave almost immediately once the give notice.

Depending on the amount of money you're potentially leaving on the table if you resign effective immediately, I'd negotiate with the new employer and see if you can get a signing bonus for that amount. That would allow you to take control of the situation - if they require you stay around and you happen to vest, great, but you're protected if they ask you to leave immediately.

jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:11 pm

I would definitely wait until a couple days or even a week after you know for certain you are fully vested. Expect to be walked out the day you give notice, and if you are not then you can choose to finish out your notice work. Find a way to make the start date at the new job accommodate that.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:28 pm

jinx wrote:
... The reason for wanting to give a longer notice is they are currently short staffed and interviewing for a similar position. I thought it would be to their benefit to consider hiring two instead of one during this round of interviews.
If they're interviewing now, they'll have a fresh list of candidates they already vetted. Feel guilty about nothing.

I agree with another respondent that being short-staffed is a management choice.

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:33 pm

Be sure you have the job offer from the new company in writing before you do anything.

Wait until you're vested.

Meanwhile unobtrusively remove your personal belongings from your office, leaving obvious things like family photos in place. Remove any personal files from your computer.

Give the required three months notice but expect to be walked out the door immediately.

noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:46 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:58 pm
Don't worry about what your current employer would do. If it was in their best interest to get rid of you they would. You need to be solely concerned about your bests interests. Be professional, get vested, give 3 months notice the after you are vested. It's just business.
This is 100% spot on. Don't overthink this.

Nearing_Destination

Post by Nearing_Destination » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:54 pm

I'll echo the other responses- wait one month and then give the required three months notice. If they terminate you earlier, then seek an attorney and file grievance with labor/personnel board (those that can affect licensing may have the most impact).

basspond

Post by basspond » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:24 pm

Diffinitely wait till you are vested to turn in your 3 months notice. I have known several people who gave their 2 week notice and were immediately walked out the door. I believe they were paid for the remaining two weeks but you have the issue with vesting that I wouldn't take a chance on.

TIAX

Post by TIAX » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:11 pm

Can you provide us the 3 month clause.

sergeant

Post by sergeant » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:14 pm

Wait until your vested.
Lincoln 3 EOW!

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:25 pm

I'd wait until vested and give the minimum notice. You owe them nothing. Do you have any leeway with your start date for the new position?

youdiditr2

Post by youdiditr2 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:38 pm

I would do what is in the best interest of you.

They aren't going to be thinking about your vesting pension if they have to lay you off.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:49 pm

Nearing_Destination wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:54 pm
I'll echo the other responses- wait one month and then give the required three months notice. If they terminate you earlier, then seek an attorney and file grievance with labor/personnel board (those that can affect licensing may have the most impact).
Give the 3 month notice. If they terminate you earlier it is NOT illegal. They just have to pay you for the 3 month notice period. If they don't then it is illegal. If that does occur no need to pay an attorney. Just notify your state labor board. A call from them is usually enough to get employers to do the legal thing.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

TigerNest

Post by TigerNest » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:11 am

I am required to give 90 days notice if I intend to leave. However, my vesting ceases at the time I give notice. I am still required to work (at their discretion), but for salary only.

Make sure to read the fine print in your employee handbook carefully. The relationship often changes the moment you give notice, not just the last day of employment.

totality

Post by totality » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:14 am

It's a tricky situation. It sounds like there's no way to absolutely guarantee all three of 1) Fulfilling your contract, 2) Getting vested in your pension, and 3) Starting at your new job on time.

IMO, $45K is a lot of money. If I were in your shoes I would at least call around and see how much a consultation with an employment lawyer would cost. Could be worth your while. Nobody here can give you a definitive answer of what is legal in your state or what recourse you might have if you were terminated early, or if the 90 days notice clause is enforceable, etc, etc.

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:57 pm

I worked in high tech megacorps.

If an individual contributor gave notice and was going to a "sensitive competitor", they would be walked out the door immediately and terminated as soon as the final paycheck could be cut (a Ca legal requirement).

If a individual contributor gave notice and was not going to a "sensitive competitor", they would be thanked for giving notice and allowed to work during their notice period (provided they did not try to recruit anyone away from the company).

If a particular company recruited too many employees away, they were added to the sensitive competitor list. The sensitive competitor list itself was only available to HR and senior management.

financeidiot

Post by financeidiot » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:58 pm

If your new company wants you to start in January, let them know the vested money is on the table and weighing on your mind. Maybe they'll give it to you as a signing bonus if your current company pushes you out the door but not if your current company lets you keep working to meet the vestment requirements. If you're potentially losing $45,000 for a new job, you should be compensated for that risk.

Nearing_Destination

Post by Nearing_Destination » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:07 pm

staythecourse wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:49 pm
Nearing_Destination wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:54 pm
Give the 3 month notice. If they terminate you earlier it is NOT illegal. They just have to pay you for the 3 month notice period. If they don't then it is illegal. If that does occur no need to pay an attorney. Just notify your state labor board. A call from them is usually enough to get employers to do the legal thing.

Good luck.
While I didn't say it was illegal, states may have restrictions on terminations just prior to vesting , especially if one is in a "protected class ", but successfully getting restitution for such a grievance may not be easy.
Better to wait and reach vesting before giving notice (as TigerNest noted, the clock for vesting may be different than for straight employment); as Totality noted, you can't meet all requirements unless your new position allows you to delay.
{I seriously doubt that the new company would give that level of signing bonus unless you were a very high performer or there was a critical need}

downshiftme

Post by downshiftme » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:02 pm

I have seen this play out too many times. Some employers will allow you to work to the end of your notice period and if you become vested during that time you will get the vested benefit. But many (perhaps most) will arrange affairs to prevent a vesting event from happening for someone they know is leaving. Sometimes a contract states that vesting ceases when notice is given. Often employers will terminate employment early, even if it means paying some salary it doesn't mean vesting dates are met. Lastly, many employers who ask for notice will not honor the notice and will terminate immediately. It's rarely worth the effort to contest, especially if you have a new job already lined up.

Personally, I will never give notice until AFTER any benefit with vesting has reached the vested date. This also applies to bonus payments that are "earned" but paid later. Never give notice until AFTER the bonus is actually paid. Companies can be very creative in avoiding giving incentives to people who are known to be leaving.

ajr22

Post by ajr22 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:07 pm

jbuzolich wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:11 pm
I would definitely wait until a couple days or even a week after you know for certain you are fully vested. Expect to be walked out the day you give notice, and if you are not then you can choose to finish out your notice work. Find a way to make the start date at the new job accommodate that.
+1 Wait at least a week after you are vested and then give your notice. Protect yourself first before anything else.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:17 pm

Is there any custom or history with this employer?

Years ago, I was employed in the computer industry and there was a lot of job switching. Generally, when accepting a new job, employees would give two weeks notice and (depending on the details) the employer often would walk the employee out the door -- BUT pay the full two weeks pay.

At one (megacorp) company, though, if the company walked the employee out the door, that day was the last day of pay. A few folks (who counted on getting the two weeks' pay - either working or just being paid for not working) got a big surprise (not a happy one). Once work got around, those who moved to another employer were fully prepared.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:23 pm

You say you are required to give 3 months notice but then say your employment contract doesn't say anything?

In most countries and fields - 2 weeks is the custom. If you are obligated through contract or some type of custom for 3 months (?) - I wouldn't go further than 3 months.
If it takes longer for someone to learn your job than that then that's the company's issue - not yours. You need to move on without taking any unnecessary risk.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:34 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:23 pm
You say you are required to give 3 months notice but then say your employment contract doesn't say anything?
In most countries and fields - 2 weeks is the custom. If you are obligated through contract or some type of custom for 3 months (?) - I wouldn't go further than 3 months.
If it takes longer for someone to learn your job than that then that's the company's issue - not yours. You need to move on without taking any unnecessary risk.
It seems to me that requiring the employee to give 3 months' notice, but not requiring the employer to pay for those 3 months (and qualify for vesting) seems very one sided.

I find it difficult to believe that the employer would keep an employee on the payroll AND on the job every day who may be going to a competitor (for a lot of reasons).

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:41 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:34 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:23 pm
It seems to me that requiring the employee to give 3 months' notice, but not requiring the employer to pay for those 3 months (and qualify for vesting) seems very one sided.

I find it difficult to believe that the employer would keep an employee on the payroll AND on the job every day who may be going to a competitor (for a lot of reasons).
Agreed. If I have someone going to a competitor that gives me 2 weeks notice I walk him out the door immediately and pay him for the 2 weeks. In my industry - giving more than 2 weeks notice is unheard of (in the US/Canada; local laws and customs vary in European countries).

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:18 pm

Some kinds of employment are not highly "competition" based. In such cases, keeping an employee who has given notice may make a lot of sense and be low/no risk.

Nearing_Destination

Post by Nearing_Destination » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:28 pm

downshiftme wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:02 pm
I have seen this play out too many times. Some employers will allow you to work to the end of your notice period and if you become vested during that time you will get the vested benefit. But many (perhaps most) will arrange affairs to prevent a vesting event from happening for someone they know is leaving. Sometimes a contract states that vesting ceases when notice is given. Often employers will terminate employment early, even if it means paying some salary it doesn't mean vesting dates are met. Lastly, many employers who ask for notice will not honor the notice and will terminate immediately. It's rarely worth the effort to contest, especially if you have a new job already lined up.

Personally, I will never give notice until AFTER any benefit with vesting has reached the vested date. This also applies to bonus payments that are "earned" but paid later. Never give notice until AFTER the bonus is actually paid. Companies can be very creative in avoiding giving incentives to people who are known to be leaving.
+100
(That's what we did with spouses before retirement-- bonus check in credit union before notice)

jinx

Post by jinx » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:36 pm

Thanks again for the advice. Always amazed by the knowledge of this group. A little more background...

- I can not delay the start of my new job past end of January.
- No possibility of a bonus from the new job to offset the potential loss of my vested money. I already negotiated pretty hard and will be making twice my current salary at the new position with 5x more vacation.
- Although not mentioned in my contract, the employee handbook notes 3 month resignation notice is required.

I don't have the option of waiting until I am vested. I will give three months notice next month and hopefully work the remainder of vested period. I really don't think they would force me to leave early. Others have left in the past and they all worked the three month notice or longer. May call HR anonymously tomorrow and ask for more details.

Thanks again

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:50 pm

Maybe I missed it, but what can they do if you leave after giving notice but prior to the three months elapsing?

Perhaps consider giving three months notice after you are vested and hope that they terminate you before the three months is up?

downshiftme

Post by downshiftme » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:51 pm

It's still a problem, but this is not a bad problem to have.

While I suggest being very cautious about giving notice before a vesting event or bonus is triggered, in your case I would be even more careful not to lose the 2x salary increase and generous new vacation benefits. Given a choice between risking missing a vesting date and making sure the new job transition runs smoothly, I would lean heavily towards making the new job work as well as possible, If that risks an unpleasant action by the old employer, that's a risk that may have to be taken. In the long run the compensation increase (doubling!) and better vacation seems like a big positive gain.

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:04 pm

downshiftme wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:51 pm
It's still a problem, but this is not a bad problem to have.

While I suggest being very cautious about giving notice before a vesting event or bonus is triggered, in your case I would be even more careful not to lose the 2x salary increase and generous new vacation benefits. Given a choice between risking missing a vesting date and making sure the new job transition runs smoothly, I would lean heavily towards making the new job work as well as possible, If that risks an unpleasant action by the old employer, that's a risk that may have to be taken. In the long run the compensation increase (doubling!) and better vacation seems like a big positive gain.
Agreed, but I do hope the OP will come back here to let us know how the notice/vesting events turn out.