How much $$$ should I expect working in CPA's office for the tax season

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Billionaire

How much $$$ should I expect working in CPA's office for the tax season

Post by Billionaire »

I am beginning to look into a situation where I would work in a CPA's office for the 2018 tax season helping with tax preparation, etc.
My degree is in accounting, but I haven't worked in the field for 32 years. I've worked in IT for 28 years. They seem interested and asked for my resume. HCOL area. I'm willing to work as a contractor.

Does anybody have a guesstimate on what I might expect to be paid?
RudyS

Re: How much $$$ should I expect working in CPA's office for the tax season

Post by RudyS »

Hopefully someone will offer real numbers. But you could make a WAG: http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job ... PA)/Salary who suggest $62K as annual salary; probably you would expect somewhat less.
As you see, I'm a google addict.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

OP doesn't say CPA, only (rusty) accountant.
Perhaps $50k annualized which equates to $25/hour.
I could be off...
Attempted new signature...
Pacman

Post by Pacman »

I'm a CPA in industry. I do not specialize in taxation but decided to work at a tax firm on Saturdays just for fun and to learn the business. I would have even done it for free. I was paid $15/hour to prepare relatively straight-forward returns. I suspect that if I committed to working everyday during that tax season, I would have been paid closer to $25/hour. If you get your EA or CPA, and get some more experience, you can raise your rate and even take on your own clients. I personally think its a good career to ease your way into retirement.
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

CPA here who no longer does tax preparation. I would guess around $20-25/hour. With some experience, or an EA (I'm guessing you do not want to go the CPA route at this stage) you could get up to $40+ pretty easily
gclancer

Post by gclancer »

There seems to be some consensus building. I did exactly what you're talking about several years ago in a lower cost of living area for $20/hour. Due to my background I probably earned the higher end of the scale, but my guess would be $20-$25 an hour.
Topic Author
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not a CPA and at this stage of the game have no need to pursue it. I tried googling, but in retrospect I didn't fine tune my query enough. The link provided by RudyS was interesting.
BL

Post by BL »

One way to get experience might be to volunteer at a free tax-prep location for low-income or elderly. The only problem is you may not want to charge people for tax-prep after that.
Cuzz35

Post by Cuzz35 »

CPA here in a 300 person firm.

We pay our interns $24 an hour (maybe more now). So depending on the size of the firm you are working for and location, you could very well be close the this.