Jobs that pay over $100,000

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
indexonlyplease

Jobs that pay over $100,000

Post by indexonlyplease » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:24 pm

I hope I am placing this in the correct posting.

I have a college son undecided about his careeer. Can anyone here tell about their career that pays close to $100,000. I live in South Florida, so you need at least this income to have a decent lifestyle and to support a family. I would like to be able to tell him the different careers.

Also, not a career that will get you there in 20 yrs.

Thanks,

lthenderson

Re: Jobs that pay over $100,000

Post by lthenderson » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:40 pm

Picking a career strictly only for the money is a recipe for a life full of misery. I would suggest your son list down his interests and you help him pick a career that fits into one of them that pays well enough.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:42 pm

Mech/Civil/Aero/Electrical engineering can be paying 100k, 5-7 years out of college with a starting salary of maybe 50-65k now a days. If he isn't already interested in engineering with a talent in math and science then it is not the major to go into. The programs can be rigorous and require just grinding it out in difficult math courses for the sake of getting that engineering job after graduation.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:43 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:40 pm
Picking a career strictly only for the money is a recipe for a life full of misery. I would suggest your son list down his interests and you help him pick a career that fits into one of them that pays well enough.
Yes, start with his interests and we can go from there. Also, what did he study and what is he good at?

corgimom11

Post by corgimom11 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:46 pm

For me personally, I started making six-figures at age 25 in software sales. I'm about to turn 29 now. Of course, my base salary was nowhere close to the $100,000 mark when I first started.. it was around $50K starting out, but that's what I like about sales. You work hard, deliver, and get paid. I've since grown my base over the past couple of years to $75,000 and I've taken home, on average, around $150K each year.

I don't live in a particularly very high cost of living area either. Not cheap, but it's no NYC/SF either.

Sales is certainly not for everyone, but if you have the drive, passion and the personality, it can work out in your favor. I'm certainly not the most outgoing person, most would actually consider me very introverted but I still manage to be a top performer. It really, like any job in life, depends on your personal interests too. I certainly would not be good at what I do if I was not generally interested in either some combination of sales, technology, software, or personally felt the value of the product I was selling.

Granted, I have no idea what the market looks like in South Florida. I do know that I've been previously recruited by a tech firm that has a large sales office in Ft. Myers, though I have no desire to relocate.

And, for what it's worth, I never walked out of college with my degree knowing 100% what I wanted to do and what I wanted to be. The first couple of years of my career out in the real world really helped shape that for me, personally. I never said when I graduated that I wanted to be a software salesperson, but now I cannot really imagine doing anything much differently.

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:48 pm

Computer science, engineering, informatics, accounting all start in the $60s-$80s depending on school and location and can quickly be above $100k.

Of course there are many people making well over $100k with no college degree at all. It quickly becomes more about the person than the degree.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:48 pm

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:49 pm

OP,

2 possible ways to get there.

1) Do things that you are very good at but it is very hard for others to do. Aka, you are a prodigy at something. But, if this is the case, you would not post this question in the first place. It should be obvious by now that your son is a prodigy at what.

2) Doing things that are highly profitable but most folks do not want to do. For example, the most profitable small businesses are pawn shops and junkyards.

So, which path would your son choose? 100K is an above average income. He would either do (1) or (2).

KlangFool

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:53 pm

Sales or Human Resources.

CppCoder

Post by CppCoder » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:55 pm

movie actor
baseball player
United States House representative
orthopedic surgeon
successful business owner
youtube sensation
NY Times best selling author

Depending on skill set/interests, these might be more or less plausible than an engineer.

Gill

Post by Gill » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:56 pm

Heck of a way to pick a career. I think the best advice is for him to pick a field he loves and he'll do well at it. Pursuing a career because it currently pays high wages can lead to a life of unhappiness.
Gill

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:04 pm

It depends what comes easy to him and how hard working he is.

I am not of the opinion that you must have a career in what you love. As I tell my kids, there are things you will absolutely never want to do (e.g. my dd would never want to do anything with medicine - it grosses her out). But beyond that there are a lot of things one can enjoy doing even if it is not their passion or love. So long as you pick a career you like - pick the one that pays much better than the rest.

I remember a girl that worked for me. She was complaining about her fiancé's education - a degree in archeology. I think he picked the career watching too many Indian Jones movies. He still loved the field - but pay was not enough to pay off the debt and/or start a family. He could have picked something else that he did not hate - but still enjoyed doing it but paid significantly more. He would have been better off having archeology as a hobby and pick something else that paid well.

My recommendation is - Information Technology. Specifically computer science. That is my background. And based on research at Oxford university and books Automate This: How Algorithms Came to Rule the World, Rise of the Robots etc. - The careers I would recommend are IT and Health. All other jobs are at a risk of being marginalized or eliminated by machine learning, neural network based system - which is a very different than the rule based computer systems we are used to. Machines will "learn" things like a child does - but much faster - and do it far superior than human beings in next 20 years or so. We should be worried more about machines taking over our jobs than some foreign works in india, taiwan, china, mexico...etc.

Please have him read Automate This. I am struggling to get my college bound dd to read it.

Accrual

Post by Accrual » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:14 pm

Study accounting in undergrad + CPA.

InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:19 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:53 pm
I doubt many HR jobs pay 100k+, at least not at the start. HR is also usually the first department to experience downsizing when companies need to reduce expenses.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)

runner540

Post by runner540 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:23 pm

indexonlyplease wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:24 pm

I have a college son undecided about his careeer. Can anyone here tell about their career that pays close to $100,000. I live in South Florida, so you need at least this income to have a decent lifestyle and to support a family. I would like to be able to tell him the different careers.

Thanks,
Finance, specifically investment banking. As long as you and he are ok with son not maintaining his health and not being able visit for any holidays for several years.

jasonrecite25

Post by jasonrecite25 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:27 pm

I disagree with those who say you shouldn't pick a career based on money. I read this article today and agreed with most of the points. Warning that it contains some cursing: https://medium.com/@MarkManson/screw-fi ... 79cd43c16e

There are TONS of salary, hiring, career based resources out there for free on the web. Just use google.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:29 pm

Watty wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:48 pm
Lots of information here.

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nat.htm
Fascinating, I've never seen this before. 16 of the top 17 are in medicine.

Another option is marry someone else who works. Then they only need to make 50k each.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:31 pm

If his primary goal is to make sure he can stay in South Florida after he graduates - he should also factor that into any career choice. Some of the careers mentioned may not be as prevalent in South Florida as other locales.

Also - I thought the South Florida had a pretty low Cost-of-Living (unless you want to reside right in Miami) but I guess I could be wrong.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:32 pm

Living in an area where the cost of living reflects the desirability to wealthy retirees is not an easy way to achieve a high standard of living, much less save for his own wealthy retirement.

Regardless, aside from the tradeoff of potentially working a job you hate so you can live in an area you like, if the locale is what's important to him, not what work he does, then it seems to me that is the place to start.

So what businesses are in your area? What kinds of employees do they need? What is involved in getting those jobs.

Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:40 pm

I made over $100k by age 25 in sales. Made over 3x -4x that by owning a business. Do what you love first.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:42 pm

lthenderson wrote:

+1

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:47 pm

indexonlyplease wrote:

Thanks,
he should look for something he enjoys. He doesn't have to love it, but just like it.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:50 pm

Gill wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:56 pm
Heck of a way to pick a career. I think the best advice is for him to pick a field he loves and he'll do well at it. Pursuing a career because it currently pays high wages can lead to a life of unhappiness.
Gill
100% agree. Very few things more foolish than picking a life long career based on high potential salary being paid in that field.

He should pick a career doing what he would do for free if they let him. Doing something you love usually translates to enjoying the work and being pretty good at it and this usually translates into being able to earn a living doing it. Sometimes this also also means earning a high salary doing it but sometimes your chosen vocation or occupation does not provide a high salary. Doing what you love doing for a career is 10X more important than earning 100k+ per year.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:52 pm

Agree with the sentiment that "do what you love" is generally BS. Some folks are fortunate to have a perfect storm of a career they love that pays well. On the other hand, you can have a job you simply like (or more importantly are good at) and live a happy, fulfilling life.

I was a CPA in private practice, so my answer to this question is you can make $100k doing almost anything. Of course medicine, law, finance, etc. are more likely but I had clients that were timber brokers, mechanics, tile layers, plumbers, recruiters, police officers, school administrators, salesmen, commercial fishermen that all made over $100k

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:53 pm

Tell him to go to the college counseling office for assistance. They should have trained counselors who can administer preference tests and provide information and help him explore some options. If he really doesn't know what he wants to do, then he can take core classes in the meantime. The best way to figure out what to do is to actually learn about it and do it, so taking classes may help.

I agree that choosing a career primarily based on pay is probably not the best choice for most people, but it is also important to figure out a way to earn a decent living. Some people never find a career that they really, truly enjoy, and making a decent living is certainly better in that situation than barely scraping by. Realistically, many if not most people are working for pay and benefits rather than intrinsic rewards at least at some point in their career, if not the majority of the time. Sure, it's great to enjoy your work, but you have to eat either way.
Last edited by Pajamas on Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

financeidiot

Post by financeidiot » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:58 pm

My friends and I are under 30, have the same liberal arts degrees, and work in Washington, DC:

Some make more than $100,00 per year as federal or business consultants.
Others are doing well as cybersecurity analysts ($100,000+ per year, huge market).
Some make more than $150,000 per year in total compensation in the sale of software or professional services. Somehow, they're always broke.
Some went to coding bootcamp and now do well as software designers.
Some have safe jobs as federal employees (not $100,000 yet but will get there eventually).
Some are barely making $50,000 per year at lower ceiling jobs such as non-profits and NGOs.
A few are unemployed or working at yet another internship because no one can get a job with a liberal arts degree. :wink:

As long as your son can come out of school with passion and can think critically, work hard, manage money, learn new skills, and play nice with others, it won't matter too much what his degree is.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:06 pm

What's he good at?

Math and science? He has some chance in engineering. If he hates, hates, hates math, he won't go into engineering or computer science. I'm an engineer and do math for fun to relax.

Is he extroverted, like meeting new people and travelling and also math and science? Semiconductor sales or field applications engineering pays more than the same level of pure engineering. Perks if he's a car guy as there's usually money for car included plus random bonuses, meals out for free, travel to random places int he world (I do this and have bounced back and fourth between real engineering and field applications).

Nursing, Physician's assistant, medical doctor. BS-RN will depend on the location. Boston hospitals for a 10 year nurse rotating will be over $100k. Suburbs, not so much.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:06 pm

Rather than trying to pick a field with high salaries, he should avoid college majors and fields that are known to offer low salaries and poor prospects for advancement.

You have to like your job well enough to be good at it.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:14 pm

fishmonger wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:52 pm
Agree with the sentiment that "do what you love" is generally BS. Some folks are fortunate to have a perfect storm of a career they love that pays well. On the other hand, you can have a job you simply like (or more importantly are good at) and live a happy, fulfilling life.

I was a CPA in private practice, so my answer to this question is you can make $100k doing almost anything. Of course medicine, law, finance, etc. are more likely but I had clients that were timber brokers, mechanics, tile layers, plumbers, recruiters, police officers, school administrators, salesmen, commercial fishermen that all made over $100k
+1. The amount of people who would do what they do for a living every day if they had no responsibilities is very small, and most of them are dead broke. Two of my siblings have followed the montage that "if you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life;" both are in their 30's and have yet to make enough to support themselves, and they are both extremely hard working. For most of us, it is best to find something that you are better than the Average Joe at and wouldn't loathe doing for 40+ hours a week. My passion is health/exercise/nutrition/human performance. I would love to work with high level athletes every day (and I did, for several years, work with collegiate, olympic, and professional athletes), but it is very difficult to make a living in athletic strength & conditioning. So, after a handful of years realizing it was a deadend I took my passion and education to public health. A little less difficult to make a good living, but not much. 7yrs of that and I am now a health and exercise scientist in private industry. I make just a tad over $100k, but I also have a PhD, am a director-level employee in a multi-billion dollar company, didn't reach that income level until I was 35, and my ceiling is probably $150k-ish. My wife, she loves people, but doesn't particularly love selling stuff. Nonetheless, without any education or experience, at 30yrs old she went from making $14/hr in non-profit management to low six-figures in enterprise tech sales in a matter of six months. Doesn't love selling or the data security industry, but she loves to talk to people, and she should make more than me this year and her ceiling is far higher than mine.

Of the members of my immediate family who make $100k+: 3 are salesmen (with 0 college degrees between them), one is a frac crew supervisor in oil and gas (no college degree), and I am the lowest earning (with a PhD and the most experience). I would say that I have the most job satisfaction and best work environment though; and I would be a horrible salesman.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:18 pm

Gill wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:56 pm
Gill
Maybe unfulfilled is a better term than unhappy?

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:26 pm

Try to view or read Burnett and Evan's video or book on "Designing Your Life" prior to choosing a career.

Computer hackers with high school diploma's easily make twice that :moneybag . Hours are much better than doctors, lawyers and CPA's without student loans but one got to love the job.

student

Post by student » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:26 pm

This thread talks about jobs that pay over $100,000.

viewtopic.php?t=130487

jimmac9

Post by jimmac9 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:33 pm

South Florida Water Management District, is always hiring. It is very interesting work, and he can get a job with no college at all. I see these guys all the time, they make decent money and seem very happy with the job. I dont know about 100k though. Might be something to look into, especially if he is mechanically inclined.

I was making about 100k up north (CT) and took a pretty big hit when I moved here. But I'm in Ft Myers. Im assuming the jobs pay better on the other side...

Goal33

Post by Goal33 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:37 pm

I studied Computer Engineering which is basically studying Computer Science & Electrical Engineering.

The Computer Science portion got me a job paying around 120k day 1 out of college at age 22 in 2014.
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

bada bing

Post by bada bing » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:48 pm

I have worked as an hourly company employee for major
oil companies and made over $100K per year for the last
25 years, not including a very generous benefit package.
Current base is $175K. Total comp including bennies is $250K.
A new hire would start around $110K.

To make that level, you have to be willing to work away from
home. I have worked ex-pat at 3 different facilities and currently
work in arctic Alaska. Typical schedule is being at work "on tower"
half the time and commuting. Either 2 weeks on/off. 3-3 on/off or
4-4 on/off.

The work doesn't suit many people. It usually requires at least a
targeted technical associate degree (mine is in process control
instrumentation), the ability to live away from home in remote
and/or foreign locations, good health and physical dexterity and
strength, and most importantly the personality to get along in
close quarters doing somewhat dirty physical work.

Besides good pay, the advantages are having half your time to do
whatever you want, live pretty much where ever you want and the
job security is very good. Basically the job sort of sucks but the
lifestyle that goes along with it is attractive to some people. Most
of the people I work with are family men and the job is good for
providing for a family. The schedule does have drawbacks for
people who don't deal with separation well.

I sort of disagree with the "follow your passion" advice. I doubt
more than vanishing small percentage of people are really passionate
about the actual work they do after 20 years at it. I am close
friends with doctors, lawyers, teachers and engineers. I don't
know anyone who isn't mostly motivated by the lifestyle their
work provides. That is the important equation IMO: what you
are willing to do to pay for what you wish to do.

ebrasmus21

Post by ebrasmus21 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:49 pm

Commercial Property/Casualty Broker. One could be mediocre and still be right around 100K. Be proficient or good and income will be well over 100K.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:03 pm

Most people that "do what they love" make around $15k per year.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:11 pm

Sales.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:14 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:03 pm
Most people that "do what they love" make around $15k per year.
I'd be interested to see what data you have to support that assertion.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:20 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Human Resources? I doubt it - the field has traditionally been "pink collar" which rarely means high salary!

Sales is either feast or famine.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:25 pm

indexonlyplease wrote:

Thanks,
You may have inflated expectations especially if he stays in Florida. It isn't the most lucrative place for big business/professional salaries.

As stated he could go into engineering or some of the more in demand IT and could start into the 60-70s range. Accounting probably 50s to 60s. In corporate America to get over $100k you typically have to track into management no matter what field, or else move toward some sort of consulting that you are particularly good at some skill and work well with clients. Can you get there in 5 years in Florida? In some cases yes but probably not most.

Of course you can always go into sales and make a gob of money if you are good at doing that. But that isn't for everybody.

inittowinit

Post by inittowinit » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:28 pm

The Bureau of Labor Statistics' Occupational Outlook Handbook allows you to search careers by median salary: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/home.htm

Management consulting is a fairly location-independent field that pays 6-figures (or close) out the gate and requires little-to-no special skills. Typically entails a certain lifestyle though (i.e., near-constant travel and long hours).

In general I agree with others who state that selecting a career based on salary will not be a reliable path to fulfillment.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:57 pm

Pimping ain't easy

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:17 pm

cherijoh wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:20 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Human Resources? I doubt it - the field has traditionally been "pink collar" which rarely means high salary!

Sales is either feast or famine.
There are plenty of sales jobs that are not commission. I know because I have one. I get a base salary of $120k and I have target bonus of 35% but can go up to 50%. I also have a nice expense account.

As for HR, correct, you don't start out very high but from my limited experience, most HR professionals do pretty well. It's part of a company's way of "playing nice" with the people who know what everyone else makes.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:24 pm

lthenderson wrote:
+1

Warren Buffett has talked to many college students over the years and the number one takeaway he wants them to remember is to take the job you would do for free. If you truly find something you love and are passionate about, the money will eventually follow and if it doesn't you could learn to live within those means while doing what you love.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying become a starving artist, you still have to be realistic, but out of the two you really should find something that you really like but that there is still a market for in our society.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:52 pm

Another option is marry someone else who works. Then they only need to make 50k each.

This was my first thought! Many happy, well-adjusted families include two working professionals and 60/75k each totaling a healthy 6 figure household income isn't nearly as tough to achieve as one person under pressure to secure a 100k+ job "without taking 20 years to get there" as you say.

Also keep in mind the higher paying roles are often first on the chopping block when that next recession hits. Another reason not to put all the eggs in one basket.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:58 pm

Physician assistant. Pays well and requires a fraction of the education as an MD.

To weigh in on the side topic, if I did what I loved, I would have been a musician, broke, and probably dead by now. I found something I liked enough that paid well with good job security, and now I can do what I love as a hobby with all the free time I have.

emoore

Post by emoore » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:18 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:49 pm
OP,

1) Do things that you are very good at but it is very hard for others to do. Aka, you are a prodigy at something. But, if this is the case, you would not post this question in the first place. It should be obvious by now that your son is a prodigy at what.

2) Doing things that are highly profitable but most folks do not want to do. For example, the most profitable small businesses are pawn shops and junkyards.

So, which path would your son choose? 100K is an above average income. He would either do (1) or (2).

KlangFool
No he wouldn't have to do your (1) or (2) to get to 100k a year. Like others have said, engineering, computer science, doctors, and others can make over 100k without either being a prodigy or working in a junkyard or pawnshop.

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:27 pm

Why Stanford students are turning down $150,000 entry-level salaries (two years old but your kid might have these same feelings)

• They want to make an impact.
  • They want to do good.
  • They want a mission
  • They want to learn and grow.
  • They want to work with interesting people.
  • They want freedom.
  • They want to be nurtured.
  • They don’t want to be coddled.
  • They want to be allowed to take initiative.
  • They want to work on interesting problems.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:38 pm

emoore wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:18 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:49 pm
OP,

KlangFool
No he wouldn't have to do your (1) or (2) to get to 100k a year. Like others have said, engineering, computer science, doctors, and others can make over 100k without either being a prodigy or working in a junkyard or pawnshop.
emoore,

What makes you think that those folks are average people?

1) Not everyone graduates from the college.

2) And, only a subset of college graduates has those degrees.

US Median household income is 60K. Normal people do not make 100K per year.

KlangFool