Anyone planning on never retiring?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
TonyDAntonio

Re: Anyone planning on never retiring?

Post by TonyDAntonio » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:50 am

Muri wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:33 pm
A friend of mine retired at age 62. She told me before she retired that she was afraid of retiring because all of her retired friends became "stupid" once they retired. By that she meant that they seemed to lose their ability to think critically or remember things, and that this "stupidity" happened within the first year.
So my friend said she was going to work part time, take art lessons, learn a foreign language, and travel.
One year later she is not working part time, quit the art and foreign language classes after a few months, does have 2 trips planned, but spends her days walking her dog, watching talk shows, and taking a daily afternoon nap.
I am 58, and I don't ever see myself retiring. It's not that I wouldn't have the money to do so, it's that I still feel young, I want to be challenged, I like the structure of working, and I need the social contact.
I see my retirement savings as money to be used if I am unable to continue working at some point.
I have a sign on my refrigerator that says "retirement is a disease to avoid while you are healthy".
Am I the only person to feel this way?
I had no plans to retire then, within weeks, IBM 'retired' me. You know the old joke that starts, "How do you make god laugh?". Retirement is not to be feared. You are still you. You just have a bit more free time to try new things.

TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:51 am

azanon wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:35 am
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:33 am
Seems like such a strange question to me. I only work for money. If I don't need money, I don't need work.

I have a huge backlog of Steam games to play, let alone console games and TV series. And I'd actually have time to do things, like clean my house. And I could stay up until midnight and sleep until 8am. Amazing.

I'm shooting for 18 years between college graduation and retirement.
It's so cool that you posted right after me, because I'm thinking the same thing. I'm a MMORPG player, and I have multi-hour-long raids I want to be able to attend like I used to prior to an 8-to-5 job.

But FIRE'ing in 18 yrs at ~ 40 years old; that's gonna be tough. By all means try though.
Eve Online flash backs :sharebeer
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

delamer

Post by delamer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:54 am

mouses wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:18 am
Muri wrote:
A friend of mine retired at age 62. She told me before she retired that she was afraid of retiring because all of her retired friends became "stupid" once they retired. By that she meant that they seemed to lose their ability to think critically or remember things, and that this "stupidity" happened within the first year.
So my friend said she was going to work part time, take art lessons, learn a foreign language, and travel.
One year later she is not working part time, quit the art and foreign language classes after a few months, does have 2 trips planned, but spends her days walking her dog, watching talk shows, and taking a daily afternoon nap.
I am 58, and I don't ever see myself retiring. It's not that I wouldn't have the money to do so, it's that I still feel young, I want to be challenged, I like the structure of working, and I need the social contact.
I see my retirement savings as money to be used if I am unable to continue working at some point.
I have a sign on my refrigerator that says "retirement is a disease to avoid while you are healthy".
I loved my work, and planned to work until I croaked, but then I "aged out" in Silicon Valley almost twenty years ago. So now I'm retired and I wish I were still working.

I have made a few passes at taking courses, but, although I live near a major university, they did away with their community courses because not enough people signed up. So I really am not using my brain. Online courses are not the same, because they lack interaction with other students and the instructor.

Some friends of mine fill their lives with good works. In the last few years I have developed health issues that make me a bit undependable. That's one thing when my work could be done sitting down and even remotely from home, but it would be another thing to not show up at scheduled times at a non-profit, so I don't sign up because I don't want to leave them in the lurch.

I have not solved this problem. And am open to suggestions.
There is an online program run by the National Archives and Records Administration called "Citizen Archivist." It allows people working from their home computers to transcribe historical documents into searchable documents for use by researchers and the general public. The basic work is keyboarding, but there are a lot of interesting documents that you get to read as you work. I recommend it if you are interested in history and are a decent typist. You can work at any time and for as much or little as you want. There is a registration process.

Here is the link: https://www.archives.gov/citizen-archivist

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:29 am

msj16 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:14 pm
Victoria - please write a book about creating a mindset to thrive in retirement. I am impressed by your energy.
Right now I have many exciting things going on for me. But writing a book has always been my goal. Perhaps, instead of looking for esoteric topics I should write an autobiography of my retirement. I will think about it.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:00 pm

indexonlyplease wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:37 am
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:25 am
indexonlyplease wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:56 pm
surfstar wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:49 pm
I get no self-worth or satisfaction out of my job or working. I would happily retire yesterday.

I enjoy my holidays and weekends so much more. I have much better things to do with my free time than work.

Unfortunately, gotta work long enough to retire, as I haven't found a way otherwise. (I'm open to donations from all of you who claim you'l never retire. I'll live off your interest, then retire the capitol when i'm gone)

These threads are always perplexing to me. Free time is costly. I would love to purchase more.
I think that is sad. I work for 32 years and enjoyed going to work everyday. I only retired because a financial decision. Not because of the job. I think just like picking the right spouse you need to pick the right job. You will be with both for a long time. Might a well enjoy along the way.
To me, your school of thought is the weird one. "Pick a job you enjoy." That's not a thing. What I don't like about my job is having to be somewhere doing something. And that's every job. What I'm looking forward to in retirement is not having to be anywhere doing anything. Just a wide open schedule with nothing on it. That'd be the life.
Please tell me your age. If you don't like going time to change careers. Because it sound like you are not going anywhere. I am not being harsh I am just trying to get you to understand there is nothing wrong with enjoying you job because it will get you to where you want to be. Retired. But again, might as well enjoy it along the way.
I'm 33. Graduated from university the first time at 26 with a BS in Business Management. Went back to school at 29 and got a BS in Computer Science eight months ago. Been working as a software developer for the last 18 months. I could change careers until I'm blue in the face. Doesn't matter. Still don't want to get up and go to work. Studying Computer Science was great, though. It's not the subject matter. I'd get to school, without having to dress up according to some work dress code, at 10am or something and be done at 3pm. Then go home and do my homework while watching a movie or something on the second monitor. Enjoyed that a lot.

Software development for eight or ten hours per day while wearing a polo shirt? Ugh, can't take it. It's at this point that people usually say, "Just be a contractor or start your own thing developing apps or something." I got my first degree in Business Management. I thought I might like being my own boss. Nope. I have no initiative or drive to do any work. I only do work because someone is telling me and I don't like people telling me to do work.

So I live a frugally as possible in order to try to retire after a career of no more than 18 years. I figure that's about as much as I can stomach.

nguy44

Post by nguy44 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:37 pm

I'll retire from my corporate career, but not from working :D. The difference being I will be able to choose the things I work on, and it will not be driven by having to earn money. The IT aspect of my corporate job is more lie a hobby, I enjoy learning and playing with new technologies. I'll probably keep doing that after retirement, but driven by my own interests and desires, instead of in pursuit of a company objective.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:43 pm

fishboat wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:16 pm
Muri wrote:
I'll be honest..I find this statement very sad. I've been retired 18 months. Retirement isn't a disease like pneumonia. It's an opportunity to pursue your life's interests without the constraint of giving some business 8-10 hours of each and every day.
And not only is retirement an opportunity to take up new life interests, but also to improve health by using the newfound time for more exercise, regular sleep, and discovering healthier foods.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:12 pm

Fallible wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:43 pm
fishboat wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:16 pm
Muri wrote:
I'll be honest..I find this statement very sad. I've been retired 18 months. Retirement isn't a disease like pneumonia. It's an opportunity to pursue your life's interests without the constraint of giving some business 8-10 hours of each and every day.
And not only is retirement an opportunity to take up new life interests, but also to improve health by using the newfound time for more exercise, regular sleep, and discovering healthier foods.
That's were I am now.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:14 pm

Never say Never. Never say Always.

I never plan to retire until 52 to 55. :wink:
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:16 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:19 am
People who do not enjoy their retirement make two mistakes:
1. They retire FROM, not TO.
2. They retire too LATE, not too EARLY.

To clarify:
1. When you have something to retire TO, you are waiting for the earliest opportunity to do so. You are planning and anticipating and are excited to do things you have been dreaming about.

2. The earlier you retire the more health, energy, drive, and curiosity you have to pursue your current interests and develop new ones. The longer you wait the more difficult it becomes to design and implement a new life.

Victoria
I like that. My friend a doctor told me that he has never heard an older person dying state "I wish I would of worked more". He was joking but does make sense.

afan

Post by afan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:56 pm

Well, I will bet you there are plenty of people, elderly or not, dying of poverty who would wish they had more money.

More money might have kept them alive longer. Having a job longer would have given them more money. I am not dying at the moment, as far as I know. But I wish I had made more money over my career. To the extent I can do something about it, my only solution is to do more work.

The concerns about SS and tax treatment of savings strike me a perfectly valid.

I would rather figure out at 91 that I would have been fine retiring at 70, rather than 71 than discover at 91 that I am broke and trying to live under a bridge.

Being poor is bad at any age. Being poor when you are too old to do any paid work and far less robust to the affronts of life is horrible.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:34 pm

I'm 65 and have no plans to retire but I'm a professional musician so I never actually "worked". (Just kidding about the work thing. I actually work very hard and love it.)

zzcooper123

Post by zzcooper123 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:39 pm

Is retirement defined as a lack of earned income or the end of the main vocation in your life? I have too many uses for earned income to ever retire, if I can help it. I view my retirement savings as a backstop, giving me the ability to move on to another vocation or interest as I see fit. The camaraderie of the workplace is a precious thing. Working at a profession at the peak of your abilities is about the most fun you can have with your pants on.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:28 pm

I did it close to 'never', worked to 69, but the last 7 years were part time.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:46 pm

The Catch-22 in this thread is huge.

Doing what I enjoy doing day in and day out, does not equate into making money.

I can't be: a professional surfer, rock climber, backpacker, snowboarder, SCUBA diver, traveler, etc. I'm not one who could capitalize on writing or taking photos of the above, either.

What lead me to bogleheads was the desire to figure out how to retire earlier.

I feel like we have two, very different sides of the spectrum on BH.
1) Those who figured out how to earn/accumulate a lot of money, and now want to figure out how best to manage it. They continue working, many times even after hitting "their number."
2) Those who want to manage their money in the best way possible, in order to shorten the accumulation phase.
*1.5) Those who fall somewhere in-between.

So, in the meantime, I live my life to the fullest... on vacations and weekends.
Retirement would mean never having to return back to work while on a trip/adventure. An endless weekend. That's what I'm looking forward to.

chinto

Post by chinto » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:25 pm

mouses wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:18 am

I loved my work, and planned to work until I croaked, but then I "aged out" in Silicon Valley almost twenty years ago. So now I'm retired and I wish I were still working.

I have made a few passes at taking courses, but, although I live near a major university, they did away with their community courses because not enough people signed up. So I really am not using my brain. Online courses are not the same, because they lack interaction with other students and the instructor.

Some friends of mine fill their lives with good works. In the last few years I have developed health issues that make me a bit undependable. That's one thing when my work could be done sitting down and even remotely from home, but it would be another thing to not show up at scheduled times at a non-profit, so I don't sign up because I don't want to leave them in the lurch.

I have not solved this problem. And am open to suggestions.
Take up Genealogy as a hobby. It is a noted as a hobby you can engage in for a lifetime and can be very mentally challenging, especially if you do it correctly. Moreover if you get good at it, you can hire yourself out, or volunteer to help others etc. On days you feel up to it you can go over to your local LDs branch or take pismires of market in cemeteries, other wise on-line research. There are are convention you can go to, a reason to go to D.C. (NARA), family related get together (for a surname) on-line forums etc.

Chess is a world unto itself. Most cities have clubs, competitions, on-line games etc...

I mention these two as they are known to exercise the mind and are things you can do at an very advanced age.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:00 pm

My grandparents retired in their 60s. My grandfather passed at age 93. My grandmother is still alive. I may be one of the few people around who's preparing for early retirement so I can spend more time with my grandmother, among other reasons.

They outlived their savings about 10 years ago and began to live on Social Security only, along with some support from the family.
Then, my grandfather's health took a downward turn and he needed full time nursing care. I am not privy to the arrangements that were made, but I assume they included some sort of public assistance. He had prepaid his funeral and burial expenses. My grandmother's health went into decline after that, when she was about 92 and she needed full time care. Her house and cars were sold and the proceeds went to the nursing facility. I believe her expenses are now covered by public assistance in that facility - which is clean, sunny, well run. The family also sends money for her needs.

My point is that safety nets are currently available, although who knows what the future holds, but it's hard to picture a time ahead when seniors will be living under bridges....

My state has and funds retirement homes with medical care as needed, for veterans and relatives of veterans. They are also well run, clean, lively places....maybe it has to do with a rural location. I would venture that for someone with a military connection, these offer good solutions in these situations.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

Almost there

Post by Almost there » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:25 pm

4-5 years I felt the same as the OP. Then after I lost my job, I decided to retire and take Social Security. Through close friends of mine I found a very active 55+ retirement community and I am very happy having moved from NJ to AZ. There is so much to do (or perhaps choose not to do). One can keep active physically and mentally. It's just up to you. One makes friends so much faster since most everyone is new to the community and wants to meet others.

I know, I know: many people think that's not for them and I thought the same thing until I just tried it out (yes, there are always a number of people who rent before buying a house). And yes, there are also quite a few people who are still working until they are 65 for Medicare purposes and others who are working part time helping out at the local schools or hospitals. In addition, many, many people are also keeping quite active with regular volunteer work. So look into it for your next vacation.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:30 pm

I think a plan to never retire is less realistic than a plan to retire early.

Sure, some people who have their own businesses can work as long as they can produce, but if you work for someone else, it is more likely that they will retire you at some point.

JT

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:44 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote: I could change careers until I'm blue in the face. Doesn't matter. Still don't want to get up and go to work.
Do you dislike the product you're coding for?

I've always wondered if it made a difference whether programmers liked the end product. Let's say you're developing an app for something boring vs an exciting game. Or maybe you're developng an open-source product that fosters internet freedom vs coding for Microsoft Office and catering to corporate greed and tyranny. Would that make a difference?
Software development for eight or ten hours per day while wearing a polo shirt?
You work at a tech company and can't wear what your want? People I know in tech can wear almost anything but swim trunks. Maybe you need to look farther afield.
So I live a frugally as possible in order to try to retire after a career of no more than 18 years. I figure that's about as much as I can stomach.
Better hurry up before you're replaced by a robot. ;)

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:59 am

I'm an engineer, and I have a disease. I have a need to focus my energy and figure things out. I dream about a problem I'm trying to solve. I think about it in the shower, or while I'm driving. Yes, my body/mind need to rest, but these things creep back in (and I want them to).

I don't want to socialize with people very much. I get angry/anxious when other people know about something I don't, and I need to understand why with a good enough explanation to settle down or intensely focus my energy there.

At work, I am just a small cog in a large wheel. Everyday I learn about something new in the infinity of technological advances and how all of the various factors influence each other in different ways. The point here is that I can't pretend I can do everything myself. It takes a village.

It is painful to remove myself from all of this. I have tried to do it. Hanging out with people, doing charity work or home projects are not much of a substitute. These are things I see my father (also with the disease) trying to do in his retirement (with varying degrees of success).

I've seen so many of my colleagues try to retire, some with legitimate health concerns or plans to sail around the world, only to come back in a year or so. The job calls them back. They need a legitimate purpose and to use their brains to help move the ball forward on some larger project.

I am going to need something meaningful to do in retirement. I don't think playing video games is going to cut it. I have a couple of ideas, but they may not be practical:
-- Working on open source projects
-- Adjunct teaching
-- Making websites that help educate

All I can tell you is it is going to be tough. One can only travel so much, although I can see the draw. Victoria has some interesting approaches to the problem.

It's a need to be a meaningful contributor to part of a larger meaningful something. Retirement zaps it from our lives. How do we replace it?

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:30 am

Dude2 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:59 am
I'm an engineer, and I have a disease.

-- Working on open source projects
-- Adjunct teaching
-- Making websites that help educate
I'd think you could keep yourself very productive doing those things.

Offshore

Post by Offshore » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:19 am

As a physician it has been a long path traveled. Having said that, at 57, I am ready for my next chapter. I suspect medicine is no different than other occupations, in that time brings change. The older I get, the tougher change is to embrace.

I plan to retire from clinical medicine in 3 years and have found other work (very part time). Hope I can make it 3 more years! The less I work, the less I want to work. My physician friends who have retired have told me "It took about a week to fully embrace the change!"

Any Boglehead physicians out there who feel as the OP does, meaning never want to retire?

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:30 am

Blender wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:39 pm
Muri wrote:
Yes.
maybe... I retired 6 years ago at 64 and it was the best move I ever made. We travel 5 to 6 times a year, process pictures and videos from the trips and exercise almost daily, watch movies, read... LOL.. I'm so busy I don't know how I ever had the time to go to work. As a friend said, I've been so busy I didn't have to time to do all the nothing I was supposed to do today, and I was supposed to try and catch up on all the doing nothing I was supposed to do yesterday. www.martindareff.com

Txsman

Post by Txsman » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:13 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:29 am
msj16 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:14 pm
Victoria - please write a book about creating a mindset to thrive in retirement. I am impressed by your energy.
Right now I have many exciting things going on for me. But writing a book has always been my goal. Perhaps, instead of looking for esoteric topics I should write an autobiography of my retirement. I will think about it.

Victoria
The title could be retire to not from. Save me a copy. I am 64 1/2. An engineer back on contract. I get to work when I want. There is no stress now. I have no desire to retire again. We are going to the beach for Nov and Dec. I am taking my computer so I can work remote. Manage my projects from the beach if the signal reaches that far, if not the pool will have to do.

I could use the book.

Joeko

Post by Joeko » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:31 am

54 y/o, been in IT for the last 22 years. I want to retire from IT as soon as possible and then maybe work another 10-11 years in a less stressful position. I envy folks that have a career that they are passionate about, I'm not in that camp. Years of working 60-65 hours and getting paid for 40 is a grind. Ready for a slower pace.

Ron

Post by Ron » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:37 am

Muri wrote:
<snip...>I am 58, and I don't ever see myself retiring. It's not that I wouldn't have the money to do so, it's that I still feel young, I want to be challenged, I like the structure of working, and I need the social contact.
You don't have to have a job to feel young, be challenged, and have social contacts.

However, your statement of "liking the structure of working" indicates to me, at least, that you're taking the easy way out. To feel as you wish to feel in retirement, without a job, is a job in itself. It's up to you to develop interests that suit you, not some boss/organization. Victoria did it; quite successfully IMHO. I've done it (retired just over a decade, and I'm still looking for time to match my interests). Others have, as indicated in this thread.

If you think that retirement is automatically going to fill all your wants, needs, and desires until the end of your life, you truly don't understand what it's all about. Retirement is the time for you to develop beyond what you thought you could be, and it's up to you to pursue the actions that will fulfill your desires, without all the "clutter" of having a job entails.

Retirement in a way, is a job. It can very well be the best "job" you ever had. But it's up to you to make it so.

FWIW,

- Ron

rennale

Post by rennale » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:11 am

So I am now 67 and retire at the end of this month. I think I have the necessary financial security and my job has become boring.

I don't have the "retire to something not from something" figured out, so I'm terrified of the coming months. But unless I work until I drop dead that hurdle must be faced eventually and I've decided that I'd rather face it in my 60's than in my 70's.

It's a big world out there that needs a lot of things fixed. So my goal is that retirement is not going to be falling off the end of the pier, it's going to be jumping into the water and swimming over to other piers to find out what else there is. Of course, that sounds easy but I'm sure it won't be. Nevertheless, life is not a dress rehearsal - it's a one shot deal, and I've come to realize that squandering the last couple of precious decades would be tragic beyond words.

"There is no wealth but life." John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:05 am

rennale wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:11 am
So I am now 67 and retire at the end of this month. I think I have the necessary financial security and my job has become boring.

I don't have the "retire to something not from something" figured out, so I'm terrified of the coming months. But unless I work until I drop dead that hurdle must be faced eventually and I've decided that I'd rather face it in my 60's than in my 70's.

It's a big world out there that needs a lot of things fixed. So my goal is that retirement is not going to be falling off the end of the pier, it's going to be jumping into the water and swimming over to other piers to find out what else there is. Of course, that sounds easy but I'm sure it won't be. Nevertheless, life is not a dress rehearsal - it's a one shot deal, and I've come to realize that squandering the last couple of precious decades would be tragic beyond words.

"There is no wealth but life." John Ruskin (1819-1900)
You know its going to take you a while to get used to being retired, so understand this and choose whatever interests you. I'm being asked to get involved in all kinds of projects that I'm resisting as I don't want to become too busy. I want to explore and figure out what I want to do - and at what I'm good. For me its a privilege to be studying full time which is why I retired.

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:06 pm

[some OT comments were removed - moderator prudent]

864 days to go - God Willing until I retire......

Upon target retirement date - the dear wife, AKA Ms. gamboolgal and I will have boarded Business Class from Lagos, Nigeria on our last ever VOLUNTARY International Flight.........

God Willing we will never have another Stamp in our USA Passports.....

I will have paid Income Taxes and Social Security for 44+ years if and when I retire at age 60 as planned in ~2ish years.......

Ms. Gamboogal.... Will have followed me to 14 different homes in 40+ish years......before I and eventually she went International afew decades ago......

I/we am currently working in a 3rd world shiite Hell hole country 7 days per week 24 hours per day, 10 months per year.....Stress is extreme....strokes, aneurisms, tumors, mental breakdowns, alcoholism, divorce's from the "Original" American wife who finds out her husband of 40+ years has baby(ies) with a 3rd world national woman 1/3 of his age.....but she "understands and loves" him......

I pity anyone who plans on never retiring.....but I respect their choice.....

Life's a Dance...And You Learn...... As You Go....

gamboolman.....

blueblock

Post by blueblock » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:49 pm

Everyone's different. To give one example, while I love reading about Victoria's adventures whenever she shares them, I would not want her life. It sounds like way too much work for anything I'd be interested in. Maybe I'm just getting "stupid" at two years into retirement, though in my own defense, I don't watch television, having gone Internet-only a decade ago. I could do the things she does, but I don't want to, and therein lies my point. I'm using my financial independence to do what I want to do, and for now that is living on a lake in semi-rural Wisconsin, enjoying nature, domestic tranquility and the absence of commitments. And, yes, walking the dogs.

It seems to be a peculiarly American affliction that we feel like we must strive, even in leisure, but I've never bought into that mind set. I think that "doing nothing" is a perfectly noble pursuit if that is one's choice.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:06 pm

djpeteski wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:19 am
A person with a good career is going to have trouble working part time at a menial job. Could you imagine being a respected bookkeeper or some similar career and then trying to work part time at Subway or McDonald's? Shoot me now.

A better path would probably to find meaningful volunteer work. Could you help people learn how to get and keep meaningful employment? Can you derive joy in packing emergency food kits? What about reading stories to kids at the local library or teaching ESL classes? Even if the work is on the menial side, and that some clients will be unappreciative, those that are actually helped by your time would really invigorate a person.

As the population ages and technology increases the number of opportunities to do your career both remote and part time increases. Perhaps the pay will be a bit less, but how cool would it be to do your job from a villa in Fiji for 24 hours per week? Then six months later change your location to Aruba or whatever. The company would benefit as they would get a very senior person at a cut rate.

I will work in some capacity, but I want to have the ability to walk away or work on my terms.
How bad would it be to have to do your job from a villa in Fiji, when the money you make does not even pay the cost of renting the villa room.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:18 pm

blueblock wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:49 pm
Everyone's different. To give one example, while I love reading about Victoria's adventures whenever she shares them, I would not want her life. It sounds like way too much work for anything I'd be interested in. Maybe I'm just getting "stupid" at two years into retirement, though in my own defense, I don't watch television, having gone Internet-only a decade ago. I could do the things she does, but I don't want to, and therein lies my point. I'm using my financial independence to do what I want to do, and for now that is living on a lake in semi-rural Wisconsin, enjoying nature, domestic tranquility and the absence of commitments. And, yes, walking the dogs.

It seems to be a peculiarly American affliction that we feel like we must strive, even in leisure, but I've never bought into that mind set. I think that "doing nothing" is a perfectly noble pursuit if that is one's choice.
+1. When I retire, I just want to do nothing that is intellectually challenging. Lying on beach and drinking cold beer is just an acceptable retirement practice for me.

BV3273

Post by BV3273 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:06 am

I recently spoke to another sales rep at my company who has been there for 45 years and is still going strong. He is 77 years old. He told me that he still works because he wants to. He enjoys interacting with his customers (albeit the younger customers don't see the value he brings to them as much as his older customers do) and being a mentor to the younger members of his team. Although he is still a sales rep he now sees his job as head "cheerleader" so to speak. So for him although he is working in the same capacity he took it upon himself to morph into a totally new role that he enjoys and the management team is extremely grateful for this.

As for me, I'm 31 retiring at 55 would be awesome, but I'd still need to work in some capacity to feel some sort of fulfillment. I'd probably try to do some consulting or move into teaching. I am working on my MBA now, just a few classes left, and my best professors have real world experience. They have truly inspired me.

MandyT

Post by MandyT » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:11 pm

blueblock wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:49 pm

My feelings are along these lines. Today was the first day of the first semester of my retirement. My duties used to include working roughly 12-hour days for the five days starting from the Friday before classes, so not being involved with that is a huge change. I love not having to do that this year. I mean, I really love it!

I will admit that there were a couple of times this summer that I started asking myself what my life is "for", now, as a 55-year-old with no family to speak of. But I've declared roughly a 6-month moratorium on worrying about what I'm going to do next. I originally planned to move this summer to a nearby big city, but I couldn't think of a good reason to rush it. For now, I'm going to think of this year as the sabbatical that I never had a chance to take. By winter, I expect to have a better idea of what I want to do next.

The cool thing is that, while I don't have a good idea of what my life will look like a couple of years from now, that doesn't bother me. There will be music for as long as my eyes, ears, and limbs continue to cooperate. I'll probably teach something to someone at some point in the future, likely mathematics, but I'm not sure where or at what level. When I was younger, I was interested in working with people with disabilities; I could start by looking into volunteering. I already have a couple of trips planned.

That was a bit of a stream of consciousness. What I guess I'm saying is that I'm not sure what the future has in store, but I'm excited to find out!

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:23 pm

I hope to never want to retire (continue to love my job.)

But I also hope to be financially independent by 55 or so. I don't want to feel like I have to work for money.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

lynneny

Post by lynneny » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:19 pm

I'd be happy to retire, but I feel like the goalposts keep moving (and would be interested to hear if anyone else feels that way).

When I started at Megacorp, we all had pensions. Then they were frozen. I'll still get something, but only about half the amount that used to be forecast on the annual statements our company used to send us. Gotta work longer.

For a few years, our company made small annual contributions to our 401(k)s, to kind of make up for freezing our pensions. Then they stopped. Gotta save more.

I max out 401(k), HSA and Roth. It's a struggle, but our company no longer contributes anything to our retirement, not even a 401(k) match. Bonuses and profit sharing are things of the past.

One last significant benefit was severance of one year's salary for those who have worked at the company for 30 years or more. I figured that when I eventually lose the layoff lottery, those 52 weeks of salary would be my transition to a new life -- fixing up and selling my home in HCOL city, and a move to a LCOL city, with maybe some travel in between. You guessed it. Our company just capped severance at 20 weeks' salary.

So retirement doesn't seem to be getting any closer.

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:05 pm

The only thing I plan on retiring from is full time work. I'd love to just work 2-3 days a week.

alamander

Post by alamander » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:02 pm

Very interesting thread... at 66 I am still working and enjoying it. I think it's important to realize that, for some, continuing to work past the so-called retirement age is a very rational decision. I work from home (part of a small company), travel some to interesting places, and meet intriguing people. I firmly believe I could retire (financially), and in fact have been working to enable the "be sure you retire to something" strategy. So I have been volunteering at church, for example. But I had what for me was an insight a few weeks ago -- bear with me while I explain.

We have a whole house generator. When it is actually powering the house it hums happily along. But on its weekly test it is not powering the house, just kicking on. At those test time the motor revs up and down, seeking (or as the technician says, "hunting for") a load. It sounds unhappy.

So my insight is: I wonder whether we are not built to carry a load, as it were. Most of us can't just golf and watch TV and feel engaged and challenged.

Victoria has shown how to be fully engaged while retired. I find work right now fills that (psychological? physiological? both?) need.

But really everyone is different. One needs to find what works. For some it may be watching grandchildren, reading, crossword puzzles, golf, travel, etc. For some continued employment makes a lot of sense.

Good luck to all!