Anyone planning on never retiring?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Muri

Anyone planning on never retiring?

Post by Muri » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:33 pm

A friend of mine retired at age 62. She told me before she retired that she was afraid of retiring because all of her retired friends became "stupid" once they retired. By that she meant that they seemed to lose their ability to think critically or remember things, and that this "stupidity" happened within the first year.
So my friend said she was going to work part time, take art lessons, learn a foreign language, and travel.
One year later she is not working part time, quit the art and foreign language classes after a few months, does have 2 trips planned, but spends her days walking her dog, watching talk shows, and taking a daily afternoon nap.
I am 58, and I don't ever see myself retiring. It's not that I wouldn't have the money to do so, it's that I still feel young, I want to be challenged, I like the structure of working, and I need the social contact.
I see my retirement savings as money to be used if I am unable to continue working at some point.
I have a sign on my refrigerator that says "retirement is a disease to avoid while you are healthy".
Am I the only person to feel this way?

Meaty

Re: Anyone planning on never retiring?

Post by Meaty » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:38 pm

Um no. I'm going to retire as soon as possible. To each there own
"Discipline equals Freedom" - Jocko Willink

Blender

Post by Blender » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:39 pm

Muri wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:33 pm
Yes.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:42 pm

Well if I die before 55, then I'll never retire. :mrgreen:

Seriously, I think that retiring without a definite plan that you have at least tried on some level is likely to lead to dissatisfaction for many people. I personally don't need the challenge of employment, but I know people who do. I enjoy spending time with my family, traveling, doing outdoor activities of a varied nature, etc. During retirement, I plan on volunteering with a local homeless shelter and possibly other non-profits.

Todd Tressider of Financial Mentor says that he felt kind of bored after the first six months of early retirement, what he called the "pro leisure circuit." He then started his website and consultant business, but given the level of activity on his website at least, I'm guessing that his 'work' does not represent a big part of his time.

For those with these concerns, I think that taking some type of sabbatical, beyond the typical one or two week vacation where the break from work is what's often most enjoyed, is warranted.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

ascension

Post by ascension » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:45 pm

I believe it's not the matter of retiring or not.

What matters is "Do you have financial freedom (or stability) to retire?"

If you are financially ready to retire, working would be fun

If you are not, working would not be so fun.

I believe working part-time after retiring is good to keep you going.

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:47 pm

I plan to never retire as long as I enjoy what i do and still can do it with more than a modicum of success

Some days are challenging though.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

bligh

Post by bligh » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:47 pm

There are many different definitions to the word retirement. I will probably never stop being productive in some capacity. But I don't want to show up for a 9-5 for the rest of my life. Retirement to me doesn't matter.. what matters to me is financial independence. It is the freedom to work if I want, when I want, where I want, on what I want with whomever I want. If I can make money doing it, great, if not, also great.

MNGopher

Post by MNGopher » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:48 pm

I like most aspects of my job, but there is more to life than working. I think about 32 years of hanging with middle schoolers all day will be about my limit. :shock:

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:49 pm

I'm gonna retire. Maybe Monday, maybe in 5 years. Unless I am dead.

I have the beginnings of a plan. Auditing some colkege classes. Pursuing a hobby, maybe selling what I make. Take classes in interesting cities for my hobby.

Lots of books to read. Meals with friends. Help mom as she ages.m

Mlm

Post by Mlm » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:52 pm

I would challenge you to get out more. There is a big world out there..it even has social contacts.

or

I could just be stupid :oops:
Reality has a way of catching up with you

Muri

Post by Muri » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:56 pm

Mim
I did not mean to offend anyone by this question.

Mlm

Post by Mlm » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:01 pm

Muri wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:56 pm
Mim
No offense taken. I thought your friends take on retirement was amusing :happy
Reality has a way of catching up with you

Muri

Post by Muri » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:04 pm

The good news is I haven't noticed her getting "stupid" and it's been a full year. She does seem bored, though.

260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:07 pm

Nope! The plan is to work 4 more years after this one and retire on or around my 60th birthday. I think about it every day of my life right now! I'm pretty sure I'll find plenty to do.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:19 pm

75 and still working P/T.
All the Best, | Joe

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:43 pm

At 45 I believe I think about retirement more often than I probably should (daily). I plan to retire in about 10 years, depending on the healthcare situation at that time. I would go earlier if I could, but will not sacrifice the risk of running out of money. I am a bit concerned that I will hole myself up and become a hermit more or less, when I'm not doing international travel because I do that too often on weekends as it is now. However, I am really looking forward to traveling to a couple places each year and staying for 1-3 months each.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:55 pm

Muri wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:56 pm
Mim
Hell no I'm 68 and struggling with the issue too, and still working part time and seasonal to head off the Stupid problem.

Trouble is, not needing the money I don't want to put up with any hassle at all. I daydream about walking out but then what. And I have music, a club, sport, and take classes.

The day is longer than I can fill up.

weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:00 pm

Muri wrote:
A friend of mine retired at age 62. She told me before she retired that she was afraid of retiring because all of her retired friends became "stupid" once they retired. By that she meant that they seemed to lose their ability to think critically or remember things, and that this "stupidity" happened within the first year.....One year later she is not working part time, quit the art and foreign language classes after a few months, does have 2 trips planned, but spends her days walking her dog, watching talk shows, and taking a daily afternoon nap.
You don't need to "work for pay" to stay mentally engaged, you can "work for free", AKA volunteering. I pseudo-retired about a decade ago, and I did bounce around for a while which was not too mentally stimulating. Now, I volunteer several times a week, and I treat it like a job. It provides some structure and mental stimulation which I enjoy. Retiring and doing nothing besides watching talk shows and taking afternoon naps...yeah that will result in a quick mental decline.

CW47

Post by CW47 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:01 pm

Not a chance with what I currently do (and this is the best job I've ever had). I believe in retiring towards something. I think that makes sense. I've also read a lot of people who tried retirement first by going to part time. I think that is wise if available. I've got a while to figure out my full plan but I definitely think I'm going to take those two segments of advice and try to fit them into my exit plan of the rat race. I'd more likely try to start my own business and make my own hours later in life than continuing on towards infinity. Good luck to you though.

delamer

Post by delamer » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:05 pm

I know a couple people who are struggling with the idea of retiring because they are afraid of 1) being bored and 2) missing the social interactions at work.

And there is no doubt that those things can happen. But ultimately, barring physical limitations, those things can be overcome. If your friend is spending her time watching talk shows and napping, that is her choice.

I am still working on finding my "perfect" retirement. Some things that I thought I might like to do have not worked out. Other opportunities that I didn't even know were out there have turned out to be things that I really enjoy. The hardest part is that all my friends are still working, so we are mostly limited to lunches now and then.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:13 pm

Nothing wrong with working forever, if that is what you want.

Just be sure to use your financial independence wisely, and minimize the bad parts of working.

Me, I can't imagine sitting through some dumb boring 2 hour meeting on a beautiful fall day when I don't have to. Or getting up early to drive into work on a cold winter day. Or heck, just living NEAR my work is a pain. I'd much rather live on a beautiful lake, but my job is 2 hours away in the city.

Sure, I like the challenge of automating away a problem at work. That's a fun challenge, and gives me a real sense of accomplishment when I'm done.

If I was financially independent, maybe I could work out a deal where I get all the good stuff from work, and get to skip all the bad. I could definitely offer to be paid less to sweeten the deal.

If I can't get a deal done like that, guess I'll have to walk away, and make challenges on my own. I intend to learn IOS and/or Android programming for fun. Make and release a few free apps. Get in great shape, have the time to play some sports. Learn to play the guitar. Maybe some Spanish. Books, Movies, Computer games!

Sure the social contacts of work are nice, but they are pretty superficial, and most people are busy. Maybe I'd have deeper friendships with other people if I wasn't going to work everyday. One could move to an active retirement community and meet tons of people, and have plenty to do.

WildBill

Post by WildBill » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:14 pm

Muri wrote:
A friend of mine retired at age 62. She told me before she retired that she was afraid of retiring because all of her retired friends became "stupid" once they retired. By that she meant that they seemed to lose their ability to think critically or remember things, and that this "stupidity" happened within the first year.
So my friend said she was going to work part time, take art lessons, learn a foreign language, and travel.
One year later she is not working part time, quit the art and foreign language classes after a few months, does have 2 trips planned, but spends her days walking her dog, watching talk shows, and taking a daily afternoon nap.
I am 58, and I don't ever see myself retiring. It's not that I wouldn't have the money to do so, it's that I still feel young, I want to be challenged, I like the structure of working, and I need the social contact.
I see my retirement savings as money to be used if I am unable to continue working at some point.
I have a sign on my refrigerator that says "retirement is a disease to avoid while you are healthy".
Howdy

I retired about 18 months ago.

I don't think I got stupid - but since I am enjoying a second childhood, like a nine year on an extended summer vacation it may look like that to someone still employed.

And vice versa :twisted:

When does school start back?

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:04 pm

I retired at 73 as I did not have enough time to take classes I wanted to attend and spend time on travel. I spent several months fixing up my house on garden. I am taking classes in Spanish at a community college - four hours on a Monday and Wednesday evening. Now I have a lot of homework to do. They may not schedule this class in the Fall so I'm taking photography and will learn Spanish on my own and take it later. Later I will go to a Spanish speaking country and do an immersion class. I have to do my homework now and study for an exam on Wednesday evening.

I've given myself two years to study stuff (Spanish, photography and web design), then I have to use it in volunteer work. My other requirement of myself is to exercise at least 30 minutes a day. Tomorrow morning I get up at 6:00 a.m. and plan to swim, do some homework and go for a long walk.

The final part of house upgrading is to have my driveway replaced. I have become a semi-expert on how to pitch (slope) a driveway so that there isn't water in my garage, or my or my neighbor's basement as the houses are close together. The city code requires that there should be a swale or four inch curb. I have a whole host of tools - some of which I know how to use - like a hammer! I'm also learning about different types of plants that grow in my area. I love hosta but I've discovered that they attract slugs - yuk!

Social interaction - people at my Health Club, students and church, assistants at Big Box stores and garden centers, handymen and tradesmen - haven't met a woman who fixes concrete - yet.
Last edited by Lynette on Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:14 pm

I got a college degree and then worked in the same field for about 35 years.

There were of course changes and new problems to solve but after 35 years it was not exactly exercising the brain a lot to do a new version of something I had done 30 years before.

iceport

Post by iceport » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:16 pm

WildBill wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:14 pm
Howdy

I retired about 18 months ago.

I don't think I got stupid - but since I am enjoying a second childhood, like a nine year on an extended summer vacation it may look like that to someone still employed.

And vice versa :twisted:

When does school start back?

W B
I retired 5 months ago, and I can totally relate! Since I left in April, it really has felt like an extended summer vacation.

Time had sped up so much by the time I quit, years seemed to fly by like months. Everything's slowing back down again now. (Uh-oh, maybe that's the first sign of getting stupid...)
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:22 pm

Muri wrote:
No, but many who say that are really using it as an excuse for lack of planning for financial independence. The world is full of things to challenge yourself with, and for social contacts. Going to an office every day for this reason is a bit sad.
Take a chance, you might be surprised...
Last edited by Diogenes on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:26 pm

Muri wrote:
Surveys have found that over 60% of people retire earlier than they planned. Only ~10-15% of those did so because they had reached "their number". So something like 50% of people are forced into early retirement. Injury, disability, industry changes, ageism, needing to care for a partner, etc. I don't think anyone should "plan" on never retiring. You could "hope" to never retire but I think people should "plan" on retiring in their late 50s/early 60s and use that plan to guide their lifetime of saving and investing.

Of course, as you get closer to that retirement age your personal circumstances become clearer -- maybe you have confidence that your job will be around for another 10 years. Maybe you haven't had any health scares. No one is forcing you to retire just because you are financially capable of doing so.

552BB

Post by 552BB » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:28 pm

Hello BH,

Good evening Muri.

I believe you ask a very good question.

I like your sign that states that "retirement is a disease to avoid while you are healthy". The great philosopher Cicero opined that "one should not leave the post of his work except at the command of god".

To many, work is an important, integral part of there lives. It is who they are, where there freinds are, part of there social lives. There work makes them feel productive and gives them a sense of self worth. Trust me, I know.

As an airline captain, I have a lot of responsibility bestowed upon me. I am the final authority on the aircraft. I am refered to as Captain. I would say that most of my friends are with the airlines. I have a great sense of worth that I derive from my work.

At home, I am the one who can never seem to keep track of where the keys to the car have disapeared too. :D

Will I retire some day. Of course. I have to, as it is mandated by law.

Will I go early. Very likely. The job is satisfying, but it can be draining at times. And you spend quite a bit of time away from home. But I will walk away with a smile on my face.

It is also comforting to have financial independence. I also have some rental properties that will keep me entertained during retirement as they do now. Having a small business or side hustle that I am developing will also keep me from getting bored. As will some hobbies that I will pursue with more time on my hands. I believe that this is key to a successful retirement. I think that I will always what to do something productive. Being able to have work when you want it, and leisure when desired.

If your heart desires it, and it makes you happy, then I say 'stay the course'.

And maintain a sense of self worth and fulfillment.

:sharebeer

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:18 am

In a month it will be 3 years since I have retired. This is a very happy time for me because:
1. I have full control of my life.
2. I control my life quite well.

Since I have retired I have made 7 trips to Europe visiting Spain, France, UK, Germany, Poland, and Czech Republic -- with the total duration of over 8 months. Among other things, I walked el Camino de Santiago two times in 2015 and 2016. Each time I went to Spain for two months, of which I spent 6 weeks of walking with a backpack the distance of about 500 miles.

I also had miscellaneous trips in the U.S. including annual Bogleheads meetings, a two-week tour of the Western U.S., four personal development retreats (each a week long), and many others.

I presented a paper at the 2016 Pilgrimage Symposium at the College of William and Mary, and will be presenting another paper in the fall of 2017. The papers are my original ideas on applying social science findings to the decisions made on the Camino.

I spent two weeks in Prague learning the Czech language. I don't practice it at home as much as I should, but I have already scheduled another trip to the Czech Republic for early next year: two weeks in Prague continuing my language study and two weeks in Karlovy Vary sampling wellness spas (baths, massages, etc.).

When I am at home, I attend seminars at thinktanks and Federal agencies including the Brookings Institution, Cato Institute, Wilson Center, and the Federal Trade Commission. I take courses at the Smithsonian, Georgetown University, and a local continuous education organization.

I took several courses in improvisation comedy, standup comedy and storytelling. With improv, I mostly enjoy the classes. But with standup, I did my routine at several open mics and a large public performance in DC Improv, one of the best DC area clubs. I was recently invited to do another performance in DC Improv, which is a great honor.

My storytelling experience is very recent. I took two classes which culminated in public performances that were well received. I also applied to be in a thematic storytelling show and will have an audition next week. If I am accepted, people will actually pay to hear me, and I will earn my first $100 since retirement.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:21 am

H retired after working 45 years. He has kept himself very busy with all the deferred maintenance around the house (and we have a rather modest home). He also researches whatever he wants to buy to fix any portion of the house extensively before he chooses and purchases. We also travel 4-6 times/year and are playing a new online game together. He also helps me with my nonprofit.

I'm partly retired in that I only work part-time these days. I enjoy it and find it fascinating and challenging, doing as much as I can with very little resources or assets. It's interesting and rewarding and H and I attend a lot of conferences throughout the US related to my nonprofit. Because I'm asked to participate in them, our registration fee is often waived and sometimes some of my travel is also covered. We are really enjoying this time to follow our interests. We also visit our kids quite often and enjoy it!

I'm not sure I'll ever fully retire from what I'm doing, but time will tell. Folks who don't need the money can choose how to spend their time, resources and energy. An acquaintance is spending her time reading for the blind at the library--she records herself reading the newspaper and other reading materials. Others spend time helping with family members--elders or youngsters. There are tons of organizations that can really use extra help, depending on your interests and inclinations.
Last edited by HIinvestor on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

basspond

Post by basspond » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:22 am

The most meaningful part in a lot of people's lifes are their profession. It's easy to fall into that trap because of the money and the time one spends on their job. I feel sorry for a lot of people who rely on their job for their satisfaction or meaning in life. I retired as early as I could and I ain't turned stupid yet!

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:30 am

I'm retiring tomorrow.

I have enjoyed my profession (accounting, taxes, investments) for the past 49+ years, but its time to move on.
I was gonna keep on working, but lately, its not as much fun as it used to be, so I decided "its time".

I am very active physically and mentally so there won't be any dust accumulating on me for sure.

Have a great day and weekend all you BH'ers!

Don

thangngo

Post by thangngo » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:21 am

Muri wrote:
I'm way too far from retirement, I'm afraid I couldn't add anything here. But your post reminds me of a quote from the Shawshank Redemption"

"Either get yourself busy living or get busy dying"

Muri

Post by Muri » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:53 am

It sounds like the Bogleheads who are enjoying retirement and not becoming "stupid" spent as much time planning what they would do in retirement as how they would fund it.

freedom66

Post by freedom66 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:58 am

Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head, Muri. Retirement is living on your own terms and money is a tool to help you do that. Retirement does not mean being lazy if you plan, it means being much more enriched because you are calling the shots.

whonoze

Post by whonoze » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:13 am

We're financially secure but both working FT at ages 71 (me) and 77 (DW). This winter we plan on spending a couple months away just to get out of the cold. DW is reluctant to stop working because her mother had dementia and DW believes that she needs to keep her mind active. She will be telecommuting while we are away. I enjoy what I do and am still very good at it, so no immediate plans to retire ever.
Just my two cents | Worth about what two cents can buy nowadays

EATaxGuy

Post by EATaxGuy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:35 am

I am self-employed and I love what I do. Why would I stop taking money for that? :)
You may have been handed a cactus, but sitting on it is up to you.

DireStraits

Post by DireStraits » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:56 am

thangngo wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:21 am
Muri wrote:
I'm way too far from retirement, I'm afraid I couldn't add anything here. But your post reminds me of a quote from the Shawshank Redemption"

"Either get yourself busy living or get busy dying"
A lot of truth in that quote, thanks for sharing.

jumppilot

Post by jumppilot » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:09 am

552BB wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:28 pm

Will I go early. Very likely. The job is satisfying, but it can be draining at times. And you spend quite a bit of time away from home. But I will walk away with a smile on my face.

I hope you work for my airline. Getting tired of redeyes.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:16 am

I think it depends a lot on your job satisfaction. If you really enjoy your job and the people you work with, working longer makes more sense. Also, in conjunction with that, if you do not have any meaningful hobbies or outside interests and limited social contacts, again, work makes more sense even if you are FI.

I see nothing wrong with continuing to work. I recently went to a 55th year HS reunion. Several of my classmates are still working, and I am pretty sure it is because they want to, not that they have to.

I would encourage you to develop some outside interests, hobbies, volunteer work, other activities, if you have not already done so. This will serve you well, if, when you do decide to retire.

I do agree with you that some people seem to lose their "edge" (not become stupid) after retiring. I have observed it in several friends who had professional careers. I know in one instance the individual does not have many social outlets nor stimulating activities. I think the antidote to that is to be engaged in intellectually stimulating activities in retirement and have or develop good social ties.

Best wishes with your future plans.

azanon

Post by azanon » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:30 am

Muri,

If I have any unfair bias about this sort of thing, it's probably the exact opposite of your view. At least a part of me feels sad and pities someone who can only find a worthwhile identify, and happiness, in an occupation; occupations most of which pay someone to do those jobs because they couldn't find someone (in their right mind) to do them for free. It's a little reminiscent of those stories about convicts who have been incarcerated for many years who when they finally get out, they no longer have an identity or a purpose because it had been defined for them for so long (I seem to vaguely recall the movie Shawshank Redemption discussed that sort of thing). So in the case of that analogy, it's certainly not that the jail life was a healthy thing that they're now leaving, rather that the jail damaged them so severely, they're like a caged rat that no longer knows how to thrive on its own anymore.

In my case, my job/occupation has not yet destroyed my own personal identity, an identity which is not even close to solely defined by my just by occupation. I have many hobbies, and things that I would like to do for fun, but none of which would pay me adequately to do them. So for the time being, I tolerate a job only long enough that I can get to the point that I no longer have to work anymore.

- Azanon

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:33 am

Seems like such a strange question to me. I only work for money. If I don't need money, I don't need work.

I have a huge backlog of Steam games to play, let alone console games and TV series. And I'd actually have time to do things, like clean my house. And I could stay up until midnight and sleep until 8am. Amazing.

I'm shooting for 18 years between college graduation and retirement.

azanon

Post by azanon » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:35 am

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:33 am
Seems like such a strange question to me. I only work for money. If I don't need money, I don't need work.

I have a huge backlog of Steam games to play, let alone console games and TV series. And I'd actually have time to do things, like clean my house. And I could stay up until midnight and sleep until 8am. Amazing.

I'm shooting for 18 years between college graduation and retirement.
It's so cool that you posted right after me, because I'm thinking the same thing. I'm a MMORPG player, and I have multi-hour-long raids I want to be able to attend like I used to prior to an 8-to-5 job.

But FIRE'ing in 18 yrs at ~ 40 years old; that's gonna be tough. By all means try though.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:40 am

I'm planning on retiring but I'm expecting to never quit working.

Retirement:
- Yes, some day I will no longer provide value to companies related to my current career (high tech)
- I have a 401k etc
- I'm "hoping" for SS, hoping I can eventually make use of that 401k

The reality:
- Healthcare (ie. the insurance companies...) costs will be astronomical in the future.
- I expect no inheritance from either side of the family, all wealth will likely be consumed by healthcare costs
- The SS system will be defunct by the time I'm eligible due to gross mismanagement
- 401k can be taken from me by the stroke of a pen. We're living in a unique period of history. Will it always be thus? (Probably not....)

So it's rather likely I'll need to keep working until I'm in the grave. But that's ok, at least I'll have helped out many people along the way and that's what life is all about :beer

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:44 am

azanon wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:35 am
But FIRE'ing in 18 yrs at ~ 40 years old; that's gonna be tough. By all means try though.
Heh. I didn't finish college until I was 33. First BS didn't work out, so I went back for a different one when I was 29. So it'll be more like 50 years old.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:19 am

Muri wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:53 am
It sounds like the Bogleheads who are enjoying retirement and not becoming "stupid" spent as much time planning what they would do in retirement as how they would fund it.
This is definitely true for me. Planning my life the way I want to live it is a very enjoyable planning. And just as with my financial planning, my life planning is not overly precise and has room for serendipity.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Frank Grimes

Post by Frank Grimes » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:47 am

I feel like I'm semi-retired now as I'm on paternity leave taking care of my kid.

It's awesome. Sadly, it's temporary. Retirement will be great when I can call the shots of what I feel like doing that day/week/month/year. If I feel like I'm getting too stupid or lazy, maybe I can work part time at a tax prep shop in the springs.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:19 am

A person with a good career is going to have trouble working part time at a menial job. Could you imagine being a respected bookkeeper or some similar career and then trying to work part time at Subway or McDonald's? Shoot me now.

A better path would probably to find meaningful volunteer work. Could you help people learn how to get and keep meaningful employment? Can you derive joy in packing emergency food kits? What about reading stories to kids at the local library or teaching ESL classes? Even if the work is on the menial side, and that some clients will be unappreciative, those that are actually helped by your time would really invigorate a person.

As the population ages and technology increases the number of opportunities to do your career both remote and part time increases. Perhaps the pay will be a bit less, but how cool would it be to do your job from a villa in Fiji for 24 hours per week? Then six months later change your location to Aruba or whatever. The company would benefit as they would get a very senior person at a cut rate.

I will work in some capacity, but I want to have the ability to walk away or work on my terms.

afan

Post by afan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:42 am

I plan to keep working as long as I can.

If I live to my life expectancy then I will survive past the age at which nearly everyone in my field becomes too old to do the job. From my nonscientific observation, people who push it into the late 70's, early 80's have gone past the time that they are worth having around. Their quality and volume drop off. Some deal with the quality by ending attempts to keep up with the field and focus on ever narrower simpler parts of the job that they can still do. Eventually they are told there simply is no longer a job for them.

I don't want to be one of those people.

If I live long enough I will have to retire when I cannot work any more.

Obviously a bad health event could make me unable to work at any time.

But I intend to take my working career as far as it can go, not retiring while I can still work.

I figure the longer I work, the shorter my retirement. Those are goals in themselves.

Since I get paid for working, I increase the expected value of a legacy for my heirs. I am enough of a capitalist to interpret the level of pay as a reflection of the true value of my work. For that reason, there is nothing else I could do on a volunteer basis that is as valuable as what I do at work. I don't know how valuable much of the volunteer work many older people do really is. I suspect organizations encourage it largely to keep these people engaged in the hope they will make donations. Then the nonprofit can take that money and hire people to do something useful.

I could afford to retire now. But minimizing the total amount of work I do in my life is not among my goals. My job sucks, but I am good at it, it is safe and indoors and it pays well. So it passes muster on what really counts.

To the OP: I assume I will retire someday when I can no longer work. But retirement will be forced upon me at that point, not a choice on my part.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:55 am

I want to retire ASAP, but I want to do (some) work forever. For me, retirement will be not having to work.