Filing Restricted SS Application - Language Check

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
TBillT

Re: Filing Restricted SS Application - Language Check

Post by TBillT » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:06 am

I expect to hear today...I did the online process, and had some minor but unexpected delays.
Apparently the agent I got assigned in Boston was trying to be super careful and he wanted to talk to us.
He then said OK he was going to approve, but then I got another email from him saying he needed to advise me of additional benefits I qualify...but he ended up saying that second email was a mistake and hopefuly on track for approval today.

I am documenting the issues, not to slam SSA, just to say here is why sometimes one person gets instant approval, but the next guy has a delay. And also to document some room for improvement.

I think maybe what happened, somehow my restricted application somehow showed up on their system as 2 applications: one spousal and one regular for me. I did not submit 2 applics, but either the system generated that or the agent did by mistake or something.

radford man

Post by radford man » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:56 am

TBillT - keep us posted on how things go. I have a restricted application being processed in Boston right now as well. I filed online. They've had it 5 days. Haven't heard anything yet. It's interesting that you've corresponded by email with SS. I hope they do that with me. Much prefer to have a written record of their steps and their representations to me rather than a phone conversation.

Still would love to see a copy of folks' restricted application award notice with personal info blacked out. (Reminder: I'm talking about the actual Notice of Award that is received as a letter in the mail, not any online notification that might be received.) I'll be happy to post mine when I receive it (hoping there's no screw-ups).

desertbandit442

Post by desertbandit442 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:37 pm

munemaker wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:26 pm
My wife recently filled out the online application. Very simple. It asks you whether you are applying for "retirement benefits" or "spousal benefits." So you just pick one or the other, in your case "spousal benefits." Why is any further explanation necessary.
Same thing I did in December to start my spousal benefits in March this year when I hit FRA. No problems at all. I did not provide any additional statements/information.