The Ideal Renting Situation

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Pax

The Ideal Renting Situation

Post by Pax » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:09 pm

Hi:

Putting financials aside, I would like to tap into the collective experience of this board to define and find the ideal renting situation.

As for my personal situation, the reason for considering renting, is because the house is getting a little big for me (unused rooms) and maintenance is getting to me.

If I want less maintenance -- then an apartment/condo could be the way to go. However, is it *really* possible to find an apartment that meets my preference to be close to nature (or has a natural setting like views of trees, water) and where it is peaceful? A place where one would like to be.
Or should I equate living in an apartments as living inside a box , i.e, just for shelter?

Thanks!

Sidney

Re: The Ideal Renting Situation

Post by Sidney » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:12 pm

In my area, townhouses are an option that split the difference. Very small yards, many face undeveloped spaces or waterfront.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:21 pm

It depends how much you want pay:
Apartment/condo: the cheapest, but you have a lot of adjoining neighbors (upstairs, downstairs, 2 sides). Lots of potential for banging sounds and music/TV noises.
Townhouse: No one above or below, but neighbors on the sides. Usually small patios are present, so there may be dog barking, or sounds from your neighbor having a cookout. You could get an end-unit and only have 1 neighbor.
House: The most expensive option. With the houses I have rented, the landlord takes care of all the yard maintenance.

These are just general guidelines though, it varies greatly by location.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:29 pm

We have a development near us that has a full range of offerings. Typical "large" homes on large lot, townhouses. They also have what I would call "cluster homes." Smaller houses, fairly close together with small yards. They offer an option to have the company that does common areas in the community take care of the yard/plantings or you can hire your own or do it yourself. There are standards though so you can't just let your yard run down.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

ReadyOrNot

Post by ReadyOrNot » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:34 pm

You have some choices. Some others may have similar ideas on what is ideal, and there may be a market for it. For example, some retirement or general communities are located near (or may include) walking trails, biking trails, exercise trails, nature, etc. Some are built around golf courses or other recreational facilities. I suppose you would pay more for more ideal characteristics or location.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:01 pm

I might look for some "creative" situations/opportunities that could be win-win.

1. "House sharing" (either you as owner or other as owner) might provide the benefits of a single family house with reduced costs/risks. For example, an individual owner may have a large house and want to offer other(s) the opportunity to live in the house for a reasonable rent, but the owner worries about maintenance issues.

2. Some jurisdictions (mine to a degree) allow a separate apartment/entrance arrangement for certain types of single family homes.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:14 pm

I had the ideal renting situation: My employer rented me a 2-br apartment on the shore about a 5 minute walk from my office, the cafeteria, the gym, etc at a great rate. I could fish from my patio. Lucky me.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.