Do I have an HDHP?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
malbolge

Do I have an HDHP?

Post by malbolge » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:11 pm

I have a United Healthcare medical plan through my employer. I already have an HSA (personal, from past insurance that was definitely eligible), and I'm trying to figure out if I can keep contributing to it under my current plan.

My deductible and out of pocket limits do meet the HDHP criteria (I have a $1,500 deductible and $4,750 out of pocket max). But I know there are other requirements to make a plan an HDHP, but it's extremely difficult to tell just by reading the hundreds of pages of plan and IRS documentation. Is there a sure-fire way to see if the IRS will classify it as an HDHP? Surely there's an IRS form or something I can look at to get a reliable answer?

I tried contacting United Healthcare, and they said they couldn't tell me and to contact my company HR. Company HR doesn't know what a HDHP is so couldn't help me (it's a tiny company, we barely have HR at all). They seemed to give me some contradictory advice and not understand what I was asking, so I don't want to rely on it for tax purposes. My plan is 'Choice Plus' if that helps.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Do I have an HDHP?

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:59 pm

Welcome! Do you have a document titled "Summary Plan Description" (SPD)? There might be some wording which indicates it meets IRS guidelines.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:07 pm

Make sure there is no other company contribution before the full deductible or Out of Pocket is reached. In my case, the company had a 200.00 Health reimbursement account tied to the plan that precluded me from starting a HSA. The other numbers would qualify, but I would also want confirmation before contributing to a HSA.

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

FiveK

Post by FiveK » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:42 pm

malbolge wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:11 pm
...it's extremely difficult to tell just by reading the hundreds of pages of plan and IRS documentation. Is there a sure-fire way to see if the IRS will classify it as an HDHP? Surely there's an IRS form or something I can look at to get a reliable answer?
The few pages in 2016 Publication 969 covering HSP eligibility are reasonably clear.

Combining that with understanding what your plan entails may be close enough to sure-fire.

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:48 pm

You can definitely read the IRS publication.

However, I would be very cautious if you're the one deciding on whether you have an HSA-compatible plan or not. There have been several threads over the past couple of years in which one obscure item was missing from the definition which made the plan non-compatible. I am definitely not an expert here, but I have had HDHP HSA-compatible plans from several insurers over many, many years, and they have ALL had "HSA" clearly printed on the card and/or website plan. The insurer really should be able to tell you if it's an HSA-compatible plan and if your United Healthcare representative couldn't, I'd at least ask to speak to a supervisor. However, I would bet that it is not compatible. I have United Healthcare and my card clearly says "United Healthcare Choice Plus-HSA" on the front.

furikake

Post by furikake » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:42 pm

UnitedHealthcare should be able to tell you if it's an HSA plan or not. If the customer service person you speak to doesn't know, ask to talk to a supervisor. An individual does NOT determine if a plan is HSA compatible or not, your state does. The insurance carrier (UnitedHealthcare) sends their plans to the state to ask for approval on the plans and rates every year, and the state comes back to tell them if what they request to be an HSA plan can be an HSA plan or not. You, an individual consumer, does not decide if a plan is HSA compatible or not. Call UnitedHealthcare.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:12 pm

furikake wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:42 pm
UnitedHealthcare should be able to tell you if it's an HSA plan or not. If the customer service person you speak to doesn't know, ask to talk to a supervisor. An individual does NOT determine if a plan is HSA compatible or not, your state does. The insurance carrier (UnitedHealthcare) sends their plans to the state to ask for approval on the plans and rates every year, and the state comes back to tell them if what they request to be an HSA plan can be an HSA plan or not. You, an individual consumer, does not decide if a plan is HSA compatible or not. Call UnitedHealthcare.
Either the insurer or the HR department needs to be able to provide a written confirmation. I get an acknowledgement every year when I enroll in my retiree medical plan. I have had to submit that once to the IRS in an audit.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

BruDude

Post by BruDude » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:14 pm

Does it have any copays before the deductible is met? If so, then it is not eligible for HSA.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:37 pm

I think if your hr dept can't even tell you whether your insurance is hsa compliant they are incompetent. Minimum response should be, don't know off the top of my head, I will check and let you know tomorrow.