Estimate for painting home interior

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
imyeti2

Estimate for painting home interior

Post by imyeti2 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:05 pm

Hello,
So we're moving into a new home and DW wanted to have the house painted before moving in. Had a couple of painters come over to give us estimates. One guy never got back to us - even after we tried to contact him several times. I guess he is not interested in the job. If he is not interested, wonder why even show up and spend an hour going around the house.
The second guy provided us an estimate that has a range. The higher number is 20% higher than the lower number. He says that the higher number is "depending on extra work". The house is empty now and will be empty when he starts the paint job. He saw each room in the house. I'm wondering what extra work could come up? There is nothing behind the walls when painting a house. I'm really scratching my head hard about "extra work". If this guy has been painting for the last 25 years, isn't it easy to come up with an estimate?
Am I missing something here? Would welcome thoughts ...
Thank you.

sandramjet

Re: Estimate for painting home interior

Post by sandramjet » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:10 pm

Not unlike my experience... Called 6 painters, each came out and walked through house. One came back with "Gosh, its a big job. How about if we start just going hourly and then see how its going", one (well known locally) came back with a very professional estimate, including what would be done, and what would be considered "extra work". But estimate was very high (ended up 40% higher than next bid). Other 4 never even got back to me. We accepted the high estimate.... then he said he can't do it till september (we originally made it clear it needed to be done by July). So called 3 more painters ... got 2 more bids and finally got one that was reasonable and responsive.

e5116

Post by e5116 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:38 pm

Maybe the 'extra work' refers to painting trim, moldings, ceilings and how difficult the prep work is based on the existing condition (e.g extra coat of primer needed). But agreed that he should be able to get a good sense of that and you probably agreed to the scope of work already. In painting, the prep work, edges, and corners are what take a long time. If the walls are dirty or the existing paint is oil based / deep in color, might take additional efforts to prepare the surface and prime it appropriately. But I'd just assume the higher 20% figure is what you'd end up paying.

MilleniumBuc

Post by MilleniumBuc » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:45 pm

A couple of thoughts on the extra work based on doing that twice. The first one on a rental, the trims had never been painted since the original time, and it took 4 coats due to the trim absorbing the paint, and leaving gaps when dried. The quote was 1500 (it was a friend), and it took him extra time beyond what we agreed, so I paid him the difference.

The 2nd time it was a me build, and we did it ourselves. The contractor paint was so bad, that it took primer plus 3 coats. I guess it depends if it's a cheap builder or not.

sport

Post by sport » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:51 pm

Make sure the contract you end up with specifies the type, brand and name of the paint to be used. There is a big difference in prices and quality between good paint and cheap paint.

imyeti2

Post by imyeti2 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:22 pm

Thanks for all the responses.

All the trim work etc. has been seen and included in the estimate. The house is relatively new but the previous owners had painted the place monotonously in an off-white shade and trim work in gray. So we can move in the house and start living - nothing is obnoxious. Funny thing is this painter had done the previous paint job on this house and tried to talk the owners out of painting an off-white color throughout the house. So he knows the place very well ...

Anyways, we'll have more painters come over to provide estimates.

Another option is to postpone the painting until fall or winter and after we move in. I've heard that more painters are looking for work in winter since there is no exterior painting. However, it could be more expensive with furniture around the house. Any experience with pricing difference between summer and winter?

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:57 pm

In the course of owning multiple homes for over 30 years, I think I have hired at one time or another every type of contractor - electricians, plumbers, HVAC, insulation, carpenters, roofers, deck builders, masons, asphalt pavers, landscapers, fencing, excavators, tree surgeons, security systems, carpet cleaners, flooring, radon systems, and of course painters.

My experience has been that the single hardest job to hire for is painting. Anyone can claim to be a painter. Heck, I could claim to be a painter as I have a lot of experience at it, but I am also terrible at painting. I have asked our realtor to recommend many of the trades listed above. He always came through for us. When I asked him to recommend a painter, he said that he could not as he was not aware of a good painter in our area that would charge a fair price.

We had some work done by a painter last year that I found on Angie's list. They did a good job at a fair price. I called the same painter this year for another job. The price quote was off the charts (i.e. triple what I thought it should be). :shock: I then looked him up on Angie's list. Angie had a note next to the name with a warning that he refused to provide some requested info.

So I suggest that you check with your neighbors / friends / relatives / realtor / coworkers to see if they have a good painter. You can also check Angie's List, but only select ones with very good ratings.

p.s. I apologize if I offended any painters that may also be Bogleheads

TMCD75

Post by TMCD75 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:13 pm

I'm a 20 year paint contractor, I'll try to shed some light on this. Regarding the bid where the painter was 20% higher for extra work, he's simply trying to cover his rear end. He's probably trying to account for the fact that you may have 5 different colors you want used and the fact these colors will require multiple coats of paint. He also is probably trying to figure out the drywall situation. Most paint jobs, if done the right way, end up with several hours of drywall prep work to ensure a quality result.

The average person has zero idea about what is typically involved in a professional paint job. I'm not talking about a decent homeowner effort either. I'm talking about a true professional job. The lines are nice, the walls covered and not shadowing or picture framing, the drywall prepped right etc.

Here's another tidbit about why painters don't call you back...they're too busy!! The guy that showed up and spent a hour with you decided there's lower hanging fruit to pick...any other questions, just ask.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:10 pm

Much much easier and less stressful to have paint done prior to moving in.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:20 pm

mhalley wrote:Much much easier and less stressful to have paint done prior to moving in.
Bingo. Our interior was just painted last week on the main floor of our ranch house (we've been in the house over a decade). The process of moving all the furniture around from room to room has my back still aching. Get the painting done before you move in!

Sherwin Williams paint was used, 2 bedrooms, one bathroom, hallway, great room, kitchen, laundry room, stairwell to basement, pantry - was around $2300 (included all paint, taxes, prep work, clean up). Crew of 3 the first day. Crew of 2 the second and third days. Crew of 1 on day 4 and 5.

Spent the weekend moving all the furniture back into place. The estimate the painter gave us was exactly what we paid. No more, no less. The painter is the best known, and most booked painter in our area. We feel fortunate to have been able to have our house fit in their schedule.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:27 pm

Try angies list. Folks may balk, but I have had only 1-2 bad experiences out of the MULTITUDES I have used from angies list. The rest were excellent. Heck, I've found painters just walking through Home Depot at 7AM. Not hard to do. Unlike what the poster above said my experience is trades are ALWAYS looking for business. if they didn't need it they would all be retired at age 50 with multiple millions. They always give patronizing answers when they don't get a job as "Well I was too busy anyways" but have never had difficulty finding ones who were GOOD and reasonable price.

The issue I find more is finding folks who are good AND needing the work done by x time. That is much more difficult. If you are flexible with time it is not an issue getting work done. If you need work done at X time then either 1. Pay more or 2. Get someone/ anyone available to do the work (quality varies A LOT).

Good luck.

p.s. I do live in a metro city which makes finding tradesman a piece of cake. Sure it is more difficult in smaller towns.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:50 pm

imyeti2 wrote:Hello,
So we're moving into a new home and DW wanted to have the house painted before moving in. Had a couple of painters come over to give us estimates. One guy never got back to us - even after we tried to contact him several times. I guess he is not interested in the job. If he is not interested, wonder why even show up and spend an hour going around the house.
The second guy provided us an estimate that has a range. The higher number is 20% higher than the lower number. He says that the higher number is "depending on extra work". The house is empty now and will be empty when he starts the paint job. He saw each room in the house. I'm wondering what extra work could come up? There is nothing behind the walls when painting a house. I'm really scratching my head hard about "extra work". If this guy has been painting for the last 25 years, isn't it easy to come up with an estimate?
Am I missing something here? Would welcome thoughts ...
Thank you.

Go to your local Sherwin Williams store and ask for referrals.They will tell you who is known to be reliable.I was surprised at how helpful they were.The painting contractors leave their business card on display so you can get an idea of what other services they offer.i.e light carpentry etc.You can also get an idea of what the cost of the contractor grade paint is that that vast majority of house painters use -at least in Florida anyway.If there running specials you might be able to get upgraded paint for what your contractor pays for commercial grade.

stickman731

Post by stickman731 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:09 am

Here is a link that provide estimate on interior painting jobs. I used it in 2008 during the economic downturn and got three quotes all within -/+ 10% for painting roughly 2400 sq. ft. home (6 rooms). I do not know if it is still good but it give you some expectations.

https://www.homewyse.com/services/cost_ ... _home.html

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:15 am

Hockey10 wrote:In the course of owning multiple homes for over 30 years, I think I have hired at one time or another every type of contractor - electricians, plumbers, HVAC, insulation, carpenters, roofers, deck builders, masons, asphalt pavers, landscapers, fencing, excavators, tree surgeons, security systems, carpet cleaners, flooring, radon systems, and of course painters.

My experience has been that the single hardest job to hire for is painting. Anyone can claim to be a painter. Heck, I could claim to be a painter as I have a lot of experience at it, but I am also terrible at painting. I have asked our realtor to recommend many of the trades listed above. He always came through for us. When I asked him to recommend a painter, he said that he could not as he was not aware of a good painter in our area that would charge a fair price.

We had some work done by a painter last year that I found on Angie's list. They did a good job at a fair price. I called the same painter this year for another job. The price quote was off the charts (i.e. triple what I thought it should be). :shock: I then looked him up on Angie's list. Angie had a note next to the name with a warning that he refused to provide some requested info.

So I suggest that you check with your neighbors / friends / relatives / realtor / coworkers to see if they have a good painter. You can also check Angie's List, but only select ones with very good ratings.

p.s. I apologize if I offended any painters that may also be Bogleheads
I have had similar experiences getting a bid from a painter (and other contractors) that I have used before, as they will come in on the second job and bid high in the expectation that I will not get other estimates. Got 3 bids on an exterior job, two were within 50 dollars of each other, the contractor I used before bid double the other two.

Cigarman

Post by Cigarman » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:57 am

We had our house done last fall with one bidder twice the cost of the other. The higher bidder knew what my wife's expectations were so he accounted for that time.

The extra's might include patching and sanding moulding and door frames that are not noticed in the original estimate. Not saying that is right but I do know that there are some unseen's when doing a walk through. It may also account for the need for extra coats of paint in some area's. Our bathroom took three coats and those are usually the most difficult areas to paint.

We ended up with going with the lower price just because the difference was so great. Occasionally a comment will be made about why didn't they fix this nick or that corner isn't as clean as it should be but overall the guy did a very good job. 2600 square foot home in Raleigh, NC. Cost was about $9000 for the entire interior including some patching.

imyeti2

Post by imyeti2 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:28 pm

Thanks Cigarman for providing your estimate. We're getting an estimate of 10-12K for a 3000 sq. ft. house in the Boston area. Seems reasonable.

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:34 pm

Our guy charges $25 per hour plus the cost of materials.

hightower

Post by hightower » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:41 pm

Any interest in painting it yourself? My wife and I painted our entire home interior over the last several years. I imagine it would have cost a fortune to pay someone. We got very good at it after the first couple of rooms. Hint, don't use tape. Learn to cut in straight lines by hand with an appropriate brush. Rolling evening and smoothly is tricky too, but as long as you're a detailed oriented person you can figure it out pretty quickly. Anyway, took quite a bit of time, but we would just turn on some tunes and make an afternoon of it. It was kind of fun. We are very happy with the results too and we've had several professional painters in the house comment on how nice it turned out. We're paying to have the exterior painted though. I'm too afraid of working on ladders to do it myself.

imyeti2

Post by imyeti2 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:46 am

I'd love to do it myself. DW is not handy at all. Plus with young kids, the project could prolong forever. Would rather put the money in an index fund ... :)

cookieid

Post by cookieid » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:07 pm

stickman731 wrote:Here is a link that provide estimate on interior painting jobs. I used it in 2008 during the economic downturn and got three quotes all within -/+ 10% for painting roughly 2400 sq. ft. home (6 rooms). I do not know if it is still good but it give you some expectations.

https://www.homewyse.com/services/cost_ ... _home.html
I primed and painted a brand new house (still have some doors to work on). Since it took me forever I wonder how much it would cost if a painter did it instead. Thanks for the link.