Which Credit Card Companies Do You Like?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Cruise

Which Credit Card Companies Do You Like?

Post by Cruise »

I've been with Chase for many years, and between my wife and I, we have five cards that we use for various purposes. We don't churn. We have used our reward points for free travel, and we have appreciated this benefit over the decades. Customer service has been good. We don't have to enter our credit card number before speaking to a human. I've had several other cards over the years, issued by Barclays and Citi. My experience with the customer service and benefits were underwhelming.

Which credit card companies do you gravitate to, and why?
*3!4!/5!

Re: Which Credit Card Companies Do You Like?

Post by *3!4!/5! »

Cruise wrote:Which credit card companies do you gravitate to, and why?
All of them. For signup bonuses. Easy peasy questions. :happy
Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike »

We use the Fidelity Visa. 2% cash back on everything. No ATM fees worldwide. Easy connection with our cash management account.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

I have been a long-time Chase user and agree they have excellent customer service and overall fraud protection, etc. I have gone with them for rewards on business travel almost entirely and find for that purpose they deliver well. I have very large points accounts balances with United and Marriott that make their system pay off for me in rewards.

For the long-term though, no frills, get some cash-back, I have had a Discover card (almost 30 years now same account, Credit Report YEAH!!!) I have to say I have never found a card that has a combination of rewards, no fees, and good customer service that matches them. Their rotating 5% cash back can be attractive as you look at different ways to get get rewards with no strings attached.

I had a Barclay's card and found their site and service to be quite sub-standard, don't miss it.

I have a Cabela's Visa card for the free shipping only, it has to have about the worst possible customer service interface I have ever seen for a credit card, stay away from retailer provided credit cards :-)
kerplunk

Post by kerplunk »

Discover is my #1. They are a great company. Great customer service, great product, great features and rewards. Nothing bad to say about them.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

*3!4!/5! wrote:
All of them. For signup bonuses. Easy peasy questions. :happy
+1

I believe in diversification in all things (brokerages, banks, asset classes, vehicles, consumer goods, women :wink:, etc...), because no one is the best for all uses.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Citi because they have the easy 2% cash-back card.
I can't speak about customer support differences - for the last decade I think there have only been one or two times when I required customer support - and if it wasn't quite as good - this would dwarf the 2% back I'm getting (as compared to an approximately 1.25% benefit from most Chase travel cards).
I'd be curious to understand why you are reaching out to Customer Service.
Last edited by SmileyFace on Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

A credit card company I like is USAA. They don't really offer sign-up bonuses for their cards, but I do like their 2.5% Limitless Visa and 5% Amex cashback card on gas purchases.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Iliketoridemybike wrote:We use the Fidelity Visa. 2% cash back on everything. No ATM fees worldwide. Easy connection with our cash management account.
Same here, no issues with them.

I also like ELFCU, they gave a $300 bonus for only 1K of spend.
benevo

Post by benevo »

Personally, a huge fan of Capital One. Great points, no annual fee, their VentureOne card is great. All links to CO and CO360 bank accounts, too.
Topic Author
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

DaftInvestor wrote: I'd be curious to understand why you are reaching out to Customer Service.
Over the 35 or so years I've had cards with Chase, I've reached out to them for:

1. Information on billing cycles
2. Charge backs
3. Moving Credit Limits from one card to another as our needs change
4. Filing Damage Claim on purchase protection
5. Connecting to Concierge
6. Notifying security about travel plans (don't really have to do this, but call them anyway)

With Barclays, I reached out to cancel my card, and that took forever, and my personal banker had to intervene. Never again will I have one of their cards.
3dream3

Post by 3dream3 »

We use the Citi Costco card for gas/shopping at Costco and restaurants and travel. For everything else, I use the Citi Double Cash card and my wife uses the Chase Freedom card. We both have Discover cards as well that we use sparingly depending on what rewards are out. All three seem to be pretty good, no complaints. We're not much in to churning... yet :happy It's tempting though.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

We've been very happy with AMEX since 2013.

The others are just fleeting relationships to get bonuses. :-)
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
Topic Author
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Texanbybirth wrote:We've been very happy with AMEX since 2013.
Which AMEX do you like, and why?
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

Cruise wrote:
My wife and I each have the Blue Cash Preferred. It's a $95 annual fee, and addt'l cardholders are free. I love the 6% cash back at grocery stores. We not only get almost all our groceries at Kroger, they have a vast gift card mall that we use for other purchases. The gift cards get us 6% back (on what would normally be only 1% or possibly 3%), and we get 2x fuel points on the purchase. Then of course we also get 1% back on most other purchases.

We've only had one for the longest time, but with two kiddos I think we've gotten to the point where we'll spend enough at Kroger to negate the 2x$95 fee. I just signed up for one and my wife got $75 added to her Rewards balance, and I'll get a $150 statement credit upon spending $1,000 in the first three months.

It looks like for new card members they're offering $250 back as stmt credit if you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months.

Their customer service has also been fantastic, and I like their mobile apps and website.

(I'm not an AMEX spokesman, lol, but I sure sound like one.)
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Cruise wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote: I'd be curious to understand why you are reaching out to Customer Service.
Over the 35 or so years I've had cards with Chase, I've reached out to them for:

1. Information on billing cycles
2. Charge backs
3. Moving Credit Limits from one card to another as our needs change
4. Filing Damage Claim on purchase protection
5. Connecting to Concierge
6. Notifying security about travel plans (don't really have to do this, but call them anyway)

With Barclays, I reached out to cancel my card, and that took forever, and my personal banker had to intervene. Never again will I have one of their cards.
Thanks - so with citi some of these things I do do but I do them online via the website (don't call customer service) - for instance I simply log in and click a button to do #6 (add a travel notification) if I'm traveling internationally. I have also changed my payment date (to one more convenient) and done a few other things online. I'm not sure how it would have gone if I had called customer service.
I did cancel a Citi card once - I did that via a phone call and didn't have to even talk to anyone - it was just "press 4 to cancel your account". I was actually surprised no one wanted to talk to me to ask why (It was the Citi AAdvantage card - I just signed up to collect the mileage sign-on bonus and then canceled before the annual fee kicked in) but it was easy. When I canceled a card with Chase (it was the United card - just signed up to collect the mileage bonus) I did have to talk to someone and they tried to get me to keep the card and then gave me some completely wrong information (Luckily I knew ahead of time the info they were providing was wrong). So from this perspective - Citi won but I'd consider this minor.
johan_s

Post by johan_s »

I have stuck with Chase, with the Sapphire Preferred, Sapphire Reserve, and just downgraded the Preferred to Freedom. The rewards and shopping portal suit our spending habits quite well. The online interface is really easy to use.

Most importantly, we can get a human being on the phone immediately. I just downgraded by Preferred to the no-fee Freedom card; they didn't try to up-sell or re-direct or stall, just moved it to a no-fee card immediately as requested. Responsive and effective customer service should be the baseline, but as we all know, it's increasingly not. For me, Chase has been great. If only my health insurance company was so responsive.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

Iliketoridemybike wrote:We use the Fidelity Visa. 2% cash back on everything. No ATM fees worldwide. Easy connection with our cash management account.
I have this card as well and think it's generally a card card, but if the OP is concerned about the company behind the card, it's worth noting that the company that manages the Fidelity card isn't really the best. They like to run various promos (of the "spend a certain amount in a certain period of time and get a bunch of points as a reward" variety), but always drag their feet on crediting you with the rewards, often taking months after the end of the promo period to do so. I've had them refuse to credit me with the reward I had earned because they claimed that I hadn't registered for the promotion, but I had (I had printed the confirmation when I enrolled, but unfortunately misplaced it when I moved and have not yet located it). My experience with the company has been that they're more interested in playing "gotcha!" than in supporting their customers.

It still might be worth it to get the card, but as far as card companies go, they're not my favorite.
Iliketoridemybike

FedGuy wrote:
I have this card as well and think it's generally a card card, but if the OP is concerned about the company behind the card, it's worth noting that the company that manages the Fidelity card isn't really the best. They like to run various promos (of the "spend a certain amount in a certain period of time and get a bunch of points as a reward" variety), but always drag their feet on crediting you with the rewards, often taking months after the end of the promo period to do so. I've had them refuse to credit me with the reward I had earned because they claimed that I hadn't registered for the promotion, but I had (I had printed the confirmation when I enrolled, but unfortunately misplaced it when I moved and have not yet located it). My experience with the company has been that they're more interested in playing "gotcha!" than in supporting their customers.

It still might be worth it to get the card, but as far as card companies go, they're not my favorite.
I have never had any problems and the cashback is in my account usually in 2 business days or less from the time I request it.
Edie

Post by Edie »

We have a bunch, and an app that keeps track of which card to use for the best cashback (Wallaby if anyone's interested), but for customer service, Discover is top of my list, even though we don't use their card as much as others. AmEx and Chase tie for second for customer service. I don't think I've ever needed to contact the others for anything.

AmEx BCP is our go to card. 6% on groceries is great, although I think we might need a second one this year since my hubby is cooking again, and our grocery bill is going up while our eating out is now nearly non-existent, I'll have to check how close we are to the $6000 cap and forecast forward.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

I've honestly never had a problem with any customer care line from: Chase, USAA, Citi, AmericanExpress, and Discover.

All are pretty good and quick to get to the phone. I think it's a demonstration that the free market works and they do value my business. I'm by no means a huge spender, but I pay my bill every time.
Thank God for Wall Street Bets.
Topic Author
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Texanbybirth wrote: /quote]

My wife and I each have the Blue Cash Preferred. It's a $95 annual fee, and addt'l cardholders are free. I love the 6% cash back at grocery stores. We not only get almost all our groceries at Kroger, they have a vast gift card mall that we use for other purchases. The gift cards get us 6% back (on what would normally be only 1% or possibly 3%), and we get 2x fuel points on the purchase. Then of course we also get 1% back on most other purchases.

We've only had one for the longest time, but with two kiddos I think we've gotten to the point where we'll spend enough at Kroger to negate the 2x$95 fee. I just signed up for one and my wife got $75 added to her Rewards balance, and I'll get a $150 statement credit upon spending $1,000 in the first three months.

It looks like for new card members they're offering $250 back as stmt credit if you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months.

Their customer service has also been fantastic, and I like their mobile apps and website.

Thanks for the info on the AMEX BCP. I'm going to look into that one for groceries...
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I've made the most money off Chase, but I'm currently I shake the best money trees I can find.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

benevo wrote:Personally, a huge fan of Capital One. Great points, no annual fee, their VentureOne card is great. All links to CO and CO360 bank accounts, too.
What's the advantage over the quicksilver that's 1.5% cash back?
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

1. Priceline.com rewards Visa. 2% on everything (not available any longer)... my "everyday"card.
2. American Express Blue Cash (only started using in May 2017) $95 annual fee.. Nice initial year's reward of 10% back on restaurants up to $2000 in charges and $150 reward after spending $1000. Annual 6% back on groceries up to $6000 in charges, 3% back on gasoline and 3% rewards from select department stores.
3.Discover Card, have had this one since 1986, but use only for the quarterly 5% specials.
I have other reward cards, but I seldom use.
I have already received this year $965 in rewards with the above..
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

FedGuy wrote:

Previously was with MBNA but now is serviced by ELAN. I've never had issues with either but basically I just use it and the 2% cash back follows. I've never paid attention to other promotional s.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Texanbybirth wrote:
Cruise wrote:

I picked this card up this year. There were some decent up front sign up rewards. As to the 6% it hasn't been as lucrative as i expected. Sometimes we may buy groceries at Walmart or target if we are there shopping for something else. So basically we get 4 percent incremental (6%-2% on fidelity ) times 3000-4000 annually. So that's $120-$160 rewards less $95 fee. Positive but not a huge windfall.
*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! »

mega317 wrote:
benevo wrote:Personally, a huge fan of Capital One. Great points, no annual fee, their VentureOne card is great. All links to CO and CO360 bank accounts, too.
It's a "travel card". Some people like that.
benevo

Post by benevo »

*3!4!/5! wrote:
mega317 wrote:
Yeah - I believe, overall, they're relatively similar. (The Venture card with $59 annual fee is 2% but I don't have that one.)
mega317

Post by mega317 »

benevo wrote:
*3!4!/5! wrote:
mega317 wrote:
Yeah - I believe, overall, they're relatively similar. (The Venture card with $59 annual fee is 2% but I don't have that one.)
VentureOne is no annual fee, 1.25 "miles" which equals $.0125 toward travels per dollar spent.
Quicksilver is no annual fee, 1.5% cash back which equals $.015 towards anything per dollar spent.

So is the benefit just the words "travel" and "miles", but with a reduced reward in exchange?
benevo

Post by benevo »

mega317 wrote:
benevo wrote:
*3!4!/5! wrote:
mega317 wrote:
VentureOne is no annual fee, 1.25 "miles" which equals $.0125 toward travels per dollar spent.
Quicksilver is no annual fee, 1.5% cash back which equals $.015 towards anything per dollar spent.

So is the benefit just the words "travel" and "miles", but with a reduced reward in exchange?
Visa v MasterCard, different intro promos and purchase rates, different transfer rates and fees, and as you mention 1.25 miles vs 1.5 points - at the end of the day, though, yeah they're pretty much the same!

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards ... UICKSILVER
ge1

Post by ge1 »

I had Chase Sapphire but didn't think the rewards are that great, for the last 3-4 years now I use Capital One (can't think of the name of the card, it's the one where you get double miles for every dollar spent). Very happy with the card, the travel booking system is very simple and doesn't add tons of extra fees like the big airlines do when you want to use miles.

Recently I also got the AA Citi and Delta Amex - I figured they pay for themselves as you have no bag fees for domestic flight and other perks such as earlier boarding.
Alchemist

Post by Alchemist »

I have been very happy with Amex since getting their Platinum card in 2013. It is now my primary card, with my only other card being a USAA cash back Visa (for the increasingly rare occasion someone doesn't take Amex). However, the Amex Platinum is not for everyone but as a frequent traveler for both work and play I really appreciate all the upgrades, auto gold status's, and lounge access perks. They have never been the best in the points game, but recently have been getting better. Getting 5x points on airline tickets and hotels is certainly a big plus especially with the honeymoon/marriage coming up in Hawaii.

Their customer service is also fantastic. I remember getting stuck in Dallas on the way home from a TDY last winter during that big ice storm that cancelled hundreds of flights nation wide and while everyone else was panicking about finding a hotel with availability I called the Amex concierge. They not only found me a hotel, but got me an upgrade and free breakfast credit. There are far better cards for earning points, but it is hard to beat the perks from Amex.

The annual fee is pretty steep, but as their ultimate ploy for my affection I don't have to pay it. Amex waives all annual fees for active duty military. As an Air Force Officer I greatly appreciate this.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

"No ATM fees worldwide" isn't entirely accurate. Elan Financial (the card issuer) charges 1% on foreign transactions,
Foreign Transaction fee: 1% of each foreign purchase transaction or foreign ATM advance transaction in U.S. Dollars. 1% of each foreign purchase transaction or foreign ATM advance transaction in a Foreign Currency.
https://www.fidelity.com/go/rewards-visa-signature
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
barelybarefoot

Post by barelybarefoot »

flamesabers wrote:A credit card company I like is USAA. They don't really offer sign-up bonuses for their cards, but I do like their 2.5% Limitless Visa and 5% Amex cashback card on gas purchases.
How do I apply for this? I looked at terms and am fine to set up bank account and direct deposit with them.
VAslim16

Post by VAslim16 »

kerplunk wrote:Discover is my #1. They are a great company. Great customer service, great product, great features and rewards. Nothing bad to say about them.
Agree. They issued me my first credit card and I have only good things to say about them. Unfortunately I usually use Cap One and Citi more because they have better cashback...but as a company Disc is my favorite.
Iliketoridemybike

oldcomputerguy wrote:
"No ATM fees worldwide" isn't entirely accurate. Elan Financial (the card issuer) charges 1% on foreign transactions,
Foreign Transaction fee: 1% of each foreign purchase transaction or foreign ATM advance transaction in U.S. Dollars. 1% of each foreign purchase transaction or foreign ATM advance transaction in a Foreign Currency.
https://www.fidelity.com/go/rewards-visa-signature
Foreign transaction fees are different than ATM fees.
The transaction fee is the cost for use of the funds and is a percentage.
The ATM fee is the cost for use of the machine and is a flat amount.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

barelybarefoot wrote:
flamesabers wrote:A credit card company I like is USAA. They don't really offer sign-up bonuses for their cards, but I do like their 2.5% Limitless Visa and 5% Amex cashback card on gas purchases.
How do I apply for this? I looked at terms and am fine to set up bank account and direct deposit with them.
I signed up for the cards directly from the USAA website. Depending on where you live, the Limitless Visa might not be available yet in your state.

Are you already a USAA member or have a connection to the military? If not, you may not be able to get it. I'm uncertain how strict USAA is with offering its banking services to the public.

As for the direct deposit, I just do a $1k transfer from my Vanguard money market account. That seems to meet the requirement as I haven't gotten any messages saying my card will be downgraded to 1.5% for not having a qualifying direct deposit.
Palatineman

Post by Palatineman »

I pretty much have a cc with them all.

I have an 840 Credit Report Score. Applied to Barclays, Wells Fargo, BOA all approved at an additional $62K with now a current limit of $172K for all my cards, due to the bonus offers.

For some reason Capital One rejected my application and I already have 2 credit cards with them.

So I spent 5 min of my life calling and asking why I was rejected and was condescendingly on the call told that I have too many recent inquiries on my Credit Reports and that it was their business decision to reject me.
:oops:
Don't really need this last CC to fulfill my bonus from this year, but Capital One has left me with a horrible impression, since I have ZERO dollars in CC Debt, over $150K in annual income with an FTE job. a homeowner and no criminal record.

As far as I am concerned I will never deal with them again - don't care if they call back - will take my spending money elsewhere. :D
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Chase for everything. Occasionally churn others but close them after.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! »

Palatineman wrote:I pretty much have a cc with them all.

I have an 840 Credit Report Score. Applied to Barclays, Wells Fargo, BOA all approved at an additional $62K with now a current limit of $172K for all my cards, due to the bonus offers.

For some reason Capital One rejected my application and I already have 2 credit cards with them.
They've definitely tightened up (after previously giving away bonuses too easily). How much time had elapsed since your previous application and new card with them?
Palatineman

Post by Palatineman »

Postby BW1985 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:41 pm

Chase for everything. Occasionally churn others but close them after."

Sorry - have to disagree - churn as much as you need to but- "NEVER CLOSE YOUR AVAILABLE CREDIT AND CARDS" - your credit SCORE will go DOWN.

I can't believe I have seen this advice on this forum - Quite frankly - there should be no argument here on this!
Palatineman

Post by Palatineman »

"Re: Which Credit Card Companies Do You Like?
Postby *3!4!/5! » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:46 pm

Palatineman wrote:
I pretty much have a cc with them all.

For some reason Capital One rejected my application and I already have 2 credit cards with them."

They've definitely tightened up (after previously giving away bonuses too easily). How much time had elapsed since your previous application and new card with them?"

Three days - right now won't give them the time of day. The treatment I described should be enough for me to not respond.
*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! »

^^ @Palatineman
I meant how much time had elapsed since your previous application, i.e. the one before you most recent application from which you did get a card?
Palatineman

Post by Palatineman »

Unread postby *3!4!/5! » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:07 pm

^^ @Palatineman
I meant how much time had elapsed since your previous application, i.e. the one before you most recent application from which you did get a card?"

Can't remember - it has to have been at least a few years.

I recently applied to a few of cards, since my CC debt went to ZERO and chose the one's with the best upfront bonuses.

Once again, I will re-specify the treatment I received from the phone call and my response to it.

I am guessing you work for Capital One or are trying to get a better perspective of how the automated systems and personnel respond to the automated application process.
*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! »

^^ No I'm trying to gauge how long I should wait before trying to get another Cap1 card.
Palatineman

Post by Palatineman »

"Unread postby *3!4!/5! » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:38 pm

^^ No I'm trying to gauge how long I should wait before trying to get another Cap1 card."

Ah I see - your guess is good as mine. I won't hopefully dealing with this company anytime soon, even if Samuel L. Jackson comes to my plane seat and yells "snakes on a plane" and we can only get rid of them unless you apply for the Quicksilver card.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

Palatineman wrote:Sorry - have to disagree - churn as much as you need to but- "NEVER CLOSE YOUR AVAILABLE CREDIT AND CARDS" - your credit SCORE will go DOWN.

I can't believe I have seen this advice on this forum - Quite frankly - there should be no argument here on this!
I have a card with a steep ($450) annual fee that I'm going to cancel after the first year. Now that I have my mortgage and don't anticipate needing to take out a new loan of any kind in the future, and with a credit score of 800+ anyway, taking a minor hit to my credit score is absolutely worth saving $450 a year.

Quite frankly, there should be no argument here on this.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Same and the AMEX Blue Preferred for 6% back on the first $6K of groceries and the PenFed 5% cash back on gas card, and this quarter the Discover 5% back on restaurants card. Like some airline cards too for the free checked first and companions bag and priority boarding.
Palatineman

Post by Palatineman »

"Unread postby FedGuy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:13 am

Palatineman wrote:
Sorry - have to disagree - churn as much as you need to but- "NEVER CLOSE YOUR AVAILABLE CREDIT AND CARDS" - your credit SCORE will go DOWN.

I have a card with a steep ($450) annual fee that I'm going to cancel after the first year. Now that I have my mortgage and don't anticipate needing to take out a new loan of any kind in the future, and with a credit score of 800+ anyway, taking a minor hit to my credit score is absolutely worth saving $450 a year.

Quite frankly, there should be no argument here on this."

All of my cards have a zero fee - if you have found some option to take advantage on some card that is charging you an annual fee of $450 and you would then cancel it - then more power to you!

I understand that this usually translates to more travel points or if your constant spend will be consistent in the long run due to business transactions or whatever- then great - different circumstances for different people