Discover(card) Now Offers Free Social Security Number Alerts

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
*3!4!/5!

Discover(card) Now Offers Free Social Security Number Alerts

Post by *3!4!/5! » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:47 pm

I saw that if you have a Discover credit card, you can sign up to have them monitor if your Social Security number on any of thousands of risky websites.
https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/m ... nt-alerts/

Discussion on DoC blog
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/discover- ... rdholders/

Any thoughts on whether this is worth signing up for (if you already have a Discover credit card)? I don't see any catch, but am I missing anything, or is it a no-brainer, assuming you already have a card?

Iliketoridemybike

Re: Discover(card) Now Offers Free Social Security Number Alerts

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:48 pm

I didn't know Discover card even existed anymore. :shock:

jcf

Post by jcf » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:51 pm

So, you want your SSN to be added to another database? On top of that, Discover has to have a way to make money on this service, that would be some kind of sharing this SSN with strategic partners and all. Overall, it would contribute to increasing the risk. Just my view.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:56 pm

I hate Discover!
I once was trying to ACH my $15K out back to my saving account (same account on file that used to fund Discover account and was saved in my online profile).
The transaction initially went through, then they were trying calling me for 2 days. I didn't know it was them by that time, it was a strange number for me, so I didn't pick up. They didn't bother to leave a voice message about who is this and what they want!
Suddenly they cancelled the transaction and suspend my account without a notice!!
I then called customer service who solved it and said I have to do the transaction again and this time will go through since now I confirmed it is me.
A day later they were calling again "thankfully I picked up" and said they are confirming it is me who did that transaction!!! :oops:
After getting out my money, I closed the account for good, will never consider them for any business in the future.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

Topic Author
*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:08 pm

jcf wrote:So, you want your SSN to be added to another database? On top of that, Discover has to have a way to make money on this service, that would be some kind of sharing this SSN with strategic partners and all. Overall, it would contribute to increasing the risk. Just my view.
That's the kind of thing I'm asking about, but I don't know if it's as bad as you say. Their motivation could be to add a feature to their cards to help them compete against other cards, and get or keep customers.

powermega

Post by powermega » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:22 pm

Thanks for sharing this. I just signed up myself. The service will monitor Experian for any new accounts with your SSN, and also if your SSN appears on some sites that sell/share that kind of information. Free service, so I thought I might as well take advantage.

My credit report is frozen with all three agencies, and I regularly check my FICO score that my credit cards (including Discover) offer for free. Between my different credit cards, I get scores from all three agencies. In other words, the chance that someone will be able to open an account with my SSN is extremely remote (impossible?), but I'm happy to have redundant protection like this, especially if it's free.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:30 pm

Iliketoridemybike wrote:I didn't know Discover card even existed anymore. :shock:
Discover credit card has really good customer service and a good reward program with quarterly categories that pay 5% (1% on all others). DW and I both have Discover Card accounts. For some reason (inactivity?), she received an offer where they would double her rewards for a year, no limit. That means rewards for the quarterly categories is 10%. Pretty good!

Someone commented negatively on the Discover Bank. I tried them. I put through an ACH transfer and it was blocked by their security department. They would not tell me why, and asked me to resubmit it. I did that and then closed my account. Customers need to be confident when they initiate a transfer or payment, that it gets made.

In summary, Discover Credit Card is first rate; Discover Bank, not so much.

student

Post by student » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:04 pm

I signed up a few days ago.

Topic Author
*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:19 pm

student wrote:I signed up a few days ago.
Had you already previously been getting the Discover card free monthly FICO score?
If so, when you signed up for this new feature, did it reset the monthly date on which you get that score?
(I was wondering if this could give a way to change the date.)

student

Post by student » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:04 pm

*3!4!/5! wrote:
Had you already previously been getting the Discover card free monthly FICO score?
If so, when you signed up for this new feature, did it reset the monthly date on which you get that score?
I did not know that one has to sign up for the free monthly FICO score. I thought it is automatic for customers. In any case, it did not reset.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:06 pm

my wife has 2 discover accounts, for some reason, both very old. I don't have one, but I think I am secondary on one or both. It appears this only applies to primary cardholder. I guess I would have to get my own card to take advantage of this.

Is my spouse or the joint/secondary cardholder or authorized buyer covered under the new monitoring service?

No, only the Primary credit card member is eligible to receive the Social Security Number and new account alerts. If your spouse or joint/secondary cardholder has his or her own Discover Card account, where he or she is the Primary cardmember, he or she can enroll for these alerts on their account.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:27 am

Discover has always been very vigilant against fraud. I have had a Discover card for 30 years and occasionally a deposit account. They were very pro active against fraud even back when I first started doing business with them and no one else seemed worried about it. I disagree with the interpretation of the posters who complained about problems with their transactions. I do not see the actions described as poor customer service but of better than average attempts to prevent fraud.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:42 am

student wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:04 pm
*3!4!/5! wrote:
I did not know that one has to sign up for the free monthly FICO score. I thought it is automatic for customers. In any case, it did not reset.
FICO is not automatic for non-customers; that was the point of signing up, if you didn't have an account. I don't believe the new alert feature is automatic for anyone currently. I doubt it's possible to change the date unless possibly requesting that through customer service.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:09 am

Katietsu wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:27 am
Discover has always been very vigilant against fraud. I have had a Discover card for 30 years and occasionally a deposit account. They were very pro active against fraud even back when I first started doing business with them and no one else seemed worried about it. I disagree with the interpretation of the posters who complained about problems with their transactions. I do not see the actions described as poor customer service but of better than average attempts to prevent fraud.
My experience has been the same. They were vigilant at fraud protection, but did not always use common sense. In early retirement, we used to eat out 3x a week in a local cafeteria. They would occasionally roust us out of bed at 7:30 A.M. AZ time to question whether one or the other of the 12 or so Luby's meals charged that month had really been charged by us. There were other, non-recurring, charges made, but a random Luby's charge, probably by dint of their sheer numbers, was always the one questioned. :annoyed

sport

Post by sport » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:27 am

I opened my Discover Card account in 1986. At that time, it was one of the first (maybe the first) to offer credit card rebates. I used it to pay college tuition for my children and got some decent money in rebates. Being an early offer, the rebates started at 1/4 percent and ramped up to 1% when there were $6000 in charges for the year. Later, when other cards became available, paying 1% on all charges, I called Discover Card to complain about the poor rebate schedule. The rep I spoke to told me "all the other cards were the same". When I told him that was not true, he arrogantly replied "Well, we will just have to agree to disagree". So, I stopped using that card, except at one local store where Discover card was the only one they accepted. Now, even that store accepts all the cards, so I don't use Discover at all. The only reason I keep it open is that it is my oldest card and I don't want me credit rating to take a hit if I close it. Today, that card still pays the meager rebates, but I don't care because I don't use it enough. I also found out that the rebates I had from earlier years expired before I could accumulate enough to actually get something back. All in all, Discover is the most customer unfriendly company I have ever dealt with.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:50 am

student wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:04 pm
I signed up a few days ago.
Me, also. However, it is only good for me and not my spouse's SS#. (It only covers the primary card holder.)
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:33 am

sport wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:27 am
I opened my Discover Card account in 1986. At that time, it was one of the first (maybe the first) to offer credit card rebates. I used it to pay college tuition for my children and got some decent money in rebates. Being an early offer, the rebates started at 1/4 percent and ramped up to 1% when there were $6000 in charges for the year. Later, when other cards became available, paying 1% on all charges, I called Discover Card to complain about the poor rebate schedule. The rep I spoke to told me "all the other cards were the same". When I told him that was not true, he arrogantly replied "Well, we will just have to agree to disagree". So, I stopped using that card, except at one local store where Discover card was the only one they accepted. Now, even that store accepts all the cards, so I don't use Discover at all. The only reason I keep it open is that it is my oldest card and I don't want me credit rating to take a hit if I close it. Today, that card still pays the meager rebates, but I don't care because I don't use it enough. I also found out that the rebates I had from earlier years expired before I could accumulate enough to actually get something back. All in all, Discover is the most customer unfriendly company I have ever dealt with.
I have had good experience with Discover customer service overall, since 1988. At least currently cashback does not expire, and most Discover cards offer a 5% rebate calendar that's competitive with most other cards.

piton

Post by piton » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:26 pm

I see this is an old thread. I got the offer today. Other companies have made similar offers,

"Discover® Identity Alerts are offered by Discover Bank at no cost, only available online, and currently include the following services: (a) daily monitoring of your Experian® credit report and an alert when a new account is listed on your report; (b) daily monitoring of thousands of Dark Web sites known for revealing personal information and an alert if your Social Security number is found on such a website." etc.

I don't see a down-side to this, but I know that usually companies don't give you something for nothing. Has anyone had any recent experience with this or a similar service? It seems benign... thx

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:53 pm

I’ve had the card since 1987 and receive my fico score on my monthly statement. I receive an email informing me that my ID hasn’t been compromised on the dark web. I have no idea how comprehensive their searches are, but it doesn’t cost anything. Discover is very effective when fraudulent charges are made on their credit cards. I don’t use any internet banks because they all have customers who have had problems. According to posts on this forum, Vanguard has many problems with customer service. I would not expect Discover to be any better.

DMW

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:10 am

sport wrote:
It's important to know the rules of any program. I assume you mean Cash Back, not "rebates."

The Discover It card pays 1% cash back for all regular purchases, up to 5% for certain quarterly categories (with a quarterly maximum) if you opt in. Cash back is earned at the end of the statement cycle. You can withdrawn it as cash, apply towards a statement credit, or purchase gift cards at various discounted prices-usually the best value if you shop at a merchant on the gift card list.

I used to have the original Discover card, which had the tiered cash back, starting at .25% and maxing at 1%. Then I converted to the Discover Platinum (formerly double value gift cards) when that became available in 200x to compete with the then industry standard 1% cash back cards.

Then more recently (decade+ ago?) I switched it to Discover It when that became available with the minimum 1% cash back and more benefits like purchase protection, rental car waiver, extended warranty, etc. Those benefits were all removed by 2018, but the cash back schedule remains, and so do the quarterly categories. Am receiving quite a bit of 5% restaurant cash back this quarter with much work travel, vacations, and people eating out. Discover It especially competes with Chase Freedom for quarterly rewards.

If your card isn't the Discover It product, change it and profit. I use discover for the 5% categories and my 2.5% for general purchases. Your number and account history remain the same. Don't forget to opt in for quarterly rewards. Know the rules well and you will do well.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:12 am

Dead Man Walking wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:53 pm
I don’t use any internet banks because they all have customers who have had problems. According to posts on this forum, Vanguard has many problems with customer service. I would not expect Discover to be any better.
To be fair, I've had more problems with brick banks than Internet banks, even though most of my banking and investing is online. Issues are everywhere.

sport

Post by sport » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:01 am

criticalmass wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:10 am
sport wrote:
It's important to know the rules of any program. I assume you mean Cash Back, not "rebates."

The Discover It card pays 1% cash back for all regular purchases, up to 5% for certain quarterly categories (with a quarterly maximum) if you opt in. Cash back is earned at the end of the statement cycle. You can withdrawn it as cash, apply towards a statement credit, or purchase gift cards at various discounted prices-usually the best value if you shop at a merchant on the gift card list.

I used to have the original Discover card, which had the tiered cash back, starting at .25% and maxing at 1%. Then I converted to the Discover Platinum (formerly double value gift cards) when that became available in 200x to compete with the then industry standard 1% cash back cards.

Then more recently (decade+ ago?) I switched it to Discover It when that became available with the minimum 1% cash back and more benefits like purchase protection, rental car waiver, extended warranty, etc. Those benefits were all removed by 2018, but the cash back schedule remains, and so do the quarterly categories. Am receiving quite a bit of 5% restaurant cash back this quarter with much work travel, vacations, and people eating out. Discover It especially competes with Chase Freedom for quarterly rewards.

If your card isn't the Discover It product, change it and profit. I use discover for the 5% categories and my 2.5% for general purchases. Your number and account history remain the same. Don't forget to opt in for quarterly rewards. Know the rules well and you will do well.
As long as I was using the old Discover Card, they were happy to let me have the meager 1/4 % cash back. However, after I stopped using it, they changed me to the 1% card. I still have little interest in using it.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:09 am

sport wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:01 am
criticalmass wrote:
sport wrote:

As long as I was using the old Discover Card, they were happy to let me have the meager 1/4 % cash back. However, after I stopped using it, they changed me to the 1% card. I still have little interest in using it.
Someone mentioned that all of the older cards have been changed to 1% by now, so it would have changed anyway.

But why not take the 5% cash back on categories, e.g. restaurants this quarter? That can add up quite a bit. The main problem I’ve had is in Eastern Europe / Western Asia where Discover is accepted (as their subsidiary Diners Club network), but many restaurants have acceptance issues even though they accept Diners Club. And when it does go through the merchant category doesn’t always follow me home through the international acceptance. But I’ve always gotten 5% on international restaurants with a quick note to customer service.

Otherwise it doesn’t make sense to keep an unused revolving credit card open. The difference on your credit score is nominal if you have other revolving credit accounts over 7 years old and discover will eventually close the unused account by creditor anyway.

sport

Post by sport » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:13 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:09 am
But why not take the 5% cash back on categories, e.g. restaurants this quarter?
I already get 3% cash back on restaurants with my Costco card. The difference is insignificant to me.
criticalmass wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:09 am
... and discover will eventually close the unused account by creditor anyway.
I use it once in a while to keep it active.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:39 pm

criticalmass wrote:

When Discover was advertising their new It card heavily, I checked my statement to see if my old card had been converted to the 1% cash back that was being advertised. It was not. I called Discover to have my original 1987 card converted to the new It card. The woman to whom I spoke wasn’t sure if that could be done. I asked her to pull up my account records so that she could see that I had several monthly autopay charges on my card. I then asked her to check with her supervisor and ask him/her if Discover would want me to change my monthly autopay charges to my Chase Freedom card so that I could get 1% cash back. She put me on hold for several minutes. When she returned, she was able to convert my card to the new It card. Discover realized that converting my card would be better for them since they would continue receiving their payments from the companies with whom I had established autopay accounts. Unfortunately for Discover, I was so peeved that they hadn’t automatically converted a loyal 30+ year customer to the new card and wasted my nap time on making the conversion that I changed all of my monthly autopay accounts to Chase except my newspaper. I admit that I’m a vindictive ahole!

DMW

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:56 pm

I have had a Discover card for a few years, and have the SS alert as well.

Discover and American Express has the best customer service of any of the various credit cards I have/had over the years.

And, unlike other brand credit cards, I have never had an issue with fraudulent charges.

No experience with Discover bank.

I am not concerned about giving my SS number to Discover, I figure with all the data breaches my SS number has pretty much been given to many entities courtesy of Equifax and others.

I have credit freezes everywhere I can, and I periodically freeze my credit cards as well.

I used to use 2% cash back for Paypal, but recently you can get 5% using Discover at Paypal. No special categories necessary.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:01 am

Dead Man Walking wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:39 pm
criticalmass wrote:

When Discover was advertising their new It card heavily, I checked my statement to see if my old card had been converted to the 1% cash back that was being advertised. It was not. I called Discover to have my original 1987 card converted to the new It card. The woman to whom I spoke wasn’t sure if that could be done. I asked her to pull up my account records so that she could see that I had several monthly autopay charges on my card. I then asked her to check with her supervisor and ask him/her if Discover would want me to change my monthly autopay charges to my Chase Freedom card so that I could get 1% cash back. She put me on hold for several minutes. When she returned, she was able to convert my card to the new It card. Discover realized that converting my card would be better for them since they would continue receiving their payments from the companies with whom I had established autopay accounts. Unfortunately for Discover, I was so peeved that they hadn’t automatically converted a loyal 30+ year customer to the new card and wasted my nap time on making the conversion that I changed all of my monthly autopay accounts to Chase except my newspaper. I admit that I’m a vindictive ahole!

DMW
When I've needed customer service like changing the product type to what I want (It card), I've just sent them a secure message. Takes a minute if you type slow, but no reason to spend quality time on the phone.

At least Discover has customer service people answering the phone who are in the same country as me and speak English normally. Capital One and Bank of America can learn from them. BoA got rid of their secure message customer service too. Discover just replied a few hours later to tell me to expect the new It card I the mail within a week.

Update 9/14/19: Discover just announced they are turning off secure messaging customer service in October 2019. Not a good move. Online chat will still be available however.