Fidelity Full View usefulness?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
spammagnet

Fidelity Full View usefulness?

Post by spammagnet »

Is anyone successfully using FullView to see their aggregate asset allocation across multiple accounts? I just set it up as a test. It automatically includes all Fidelity accounts plus I added an external accounts.

I'm baffled that the "asset allocation" tool shows me the % distribution across accounts, not the distribution across asset class. Am I missing something? Surely it's not that dumb?
oldcomputerguy

Re: Fidelity Full View usefulness?

Post by oldcomputerguy »

spammagnet wrote:Is anyone successfully using FullView to see their aggregate asset allocation across multiple accounts? I just set it up as a test. It automatically includes all Fidelity accounts plus I added an external accounts.

I'm baffled that the "asset allocation" tool shows me the % distribution across accounts, not the distribution across asset class. Am I missing something? Surely it's not that dumb?
If you go out of Full View and into the main Fidelity screen, you should see a tab near the top labelled "Analysis". That will lead you to screens that will do analysis across asset classes.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Topic Author
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

oldcomputerguy wrote:If you go out of Full View and into the main Fidelity screen, you should see a tab near the top labelled "Analysis". That will lead you to screens that will do analysis across asset classes.
Does that include assets held in external accounts?
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

I don't really care for it. I personally don't like providing usernames and passwords to external web sites.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

spammagnet wrote:Does that include assets held in external accounts?
Yes...

Also, be aware that FV is used as input to FIDO's Planning/Retirement tool (formerly known as RIP) so it's a good idea to include all your investment accounts, regardless of where they are held in order to get a valid result.
2pedals wrote:I don't really care for it. I personally don't like providing usernames and passwords to external web sites.
Suit yourself, but then you don't get the advantages of tools provided by both FIDO, and VG for their Financial Engines tool (they both use Yodlee) or even be able to automatically update your accounts via Quicken which also requires sign-on information.

- Ron
CFR

Post by CFR »

I use both Full View, and Personal Capital. Both have their issues. I have a number of different accounts across five different providers. In any case, if you go to: Analysis Tab - Detailed Holdings Tab, you can export all of your holdings in an excel file. With this file you can easily sort each holding as you wish. It is detailed with the following headings:

Description Account Investment-Type Morningstar-category Stock-Style-category Bond-Style-category Quantity Price Total-Value Portfolio-Weight Potentialgain/loss

Sorry for the poor formatting but you can easily sort these in a minute or two. Today I am 67.4% stocks, 32.6% Bonds for example.

CFR
AAA

Post by AAA »

2pedals wrote:I don't really care for it. I personally don't like providing usernames and passwords to external web sites.
Same here, but I understand that others may think the added convenience outweighs the added risk.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

spammagnet wrote:
oldcomputerguy wrote:If you go out of Full View and into the main Fidelity screen, you should see a tab near the top labelled "Analysis". That will lead you to screens that will do analysis across asset classes.
Yes. Fidelity's analysis tool uses the account information you set up in Fullview.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

I found that Fullview doesn't work as well as it used to for me. I use the Analysis->View all of your positions feature, but starting some months back it loses some of the assets. All bank accounts and cash positions from most of the brokerage accounts no longer are shown. The funds from my 401(k) that it can't classify are missing as well. It also decided that the Russell 2000 fund is IWM, which sort of works.
Topic Author
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

oldcomputerguy wrote:
spammagnet wrote:
Yes. Fidelity's analysis tool uses the account information you set up in Fullview.
I just tried that and the total balance shown by Fidelity reflects only the Fidelity accounts, not external accounts. The account filter on the analysis screen reflects that all available accounts are included, but the only available are Fidelity.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

spammagnet wrote:Is anyone successfully using FullView to see their aggregate asset allocation across multiple accounts? I just set it up as a test. It automatically includes all Fidelity accounts plus I added an external accounts.

I find the software quirky and buggy. I do not rely on it for the kind of analysis you are talking about.

Full View as an asset/account aggregator works great. I've been using it for that for probably a decade.

Maybe it is intentional on FIDO's part to not have all the bells and whistles that would seem logical to those of us who manage our own money? After all, they want to have services and reporting tools their planners can use which make that service as compelling as possible. Allowing us DIY's to be able to slice and dice the data and do similar reporting as their own planners maybe they feel is not in their best interest?

I am not defending them or the software by the way. I'd like it to be as robust as possible. Like you, I don't think they are that dumb so I tend to believe the reasons for the lack of robustness may be what I was positing.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike »

AAA wrote:
Same here, but I understand that others may think the added convenience outweighs the added risk.
Every picture tells a story. There is power in seeing everything in one place whether you use Full View or Personal Capital.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

spammagnet wrote:
oldcomputerguy wrote:
spammagnet wrote:
I just tried that and the total balance shown by Fidelity reflects only the Fidelity accounts, not external accounts. The account filter on the analysis screen reflects that all available accounts are included, but the only available are Fidelity.
Hm. Looks like you're right. I just looked at my FullView, which is connected to my Ally account plus DW's 401k, and those show up in FullView, but not in Analysis. Looks like they've broken it. I know for certain that it used to work that way, and that it apparently is still intended to work that way (since the Analysis screen's account selection drop-down shows a legend indicating which accounts are added through FullView), but none of the things I have set up in FullView are showing up.

Sorry about the bad information. I'll point a finger at Fido for this one.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

Check your "Accounts Selected" tab on the Analysis view. All seven of my/wife's accounts are included, both from FIDO and VG. Also ensure you have selected the Account View, not Goal View, which may be different depending on how you set your personal view up.

My FV total matches the Analysis total, which matches my M* total, which matches my Excel worksheet (I'm a belt and suspenders guy), to the penny...

- Ron
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Aaaaaaand now, .... yep, all the FullView accounts show up both in the Analysis tool and in the retirement planning (GPS) tool.

Strange.
Topic Author
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

Ron wrote:Check your "Accounts Selected" tab on the Analysis view.
I did. Only our Fidelity accounts are shown.

I expected the "asset allocation" tool in FullView to display my assets by class. It doesn't. It should be called "account allocation", instead. Even assets held in Fidelity accounts show only the account, not the class.

I hoped to be able to use it in lieu of Quicken or Personal Capital. So, the latter has consistent problems (failure) with my Lincoln Finance employer retirement accounts, meaning I'm still dependent on Quicken for aggregate information.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

Ron wrote:
spammagnet wrote:Does that include assets held in external accounts?
Yes...

Also, be aware that FV is used as input to FIDO's Planning/Retirement tool (formerly known as RIP) so it's a good idea to include all your investment accounts, regardless of where they are held in order to get a valid result.
Suit yourself, but then you don't get the advantages of tools provided by both FIDO, and VG for their Financial Engines tool (they both use Yodlee) or even be able to automatically update your accounts via Quicken which also requires sign-on information.

- Ron
I used to use Full View for several years. It did not always work correctly. Many times I had to delete, set up accounts all over again and they still would not update the data from 3rd party sites. For many of my assets I could not figure out how to "fully use" Full View (such as Treasury Direct). I collected all of my financial information in a spreadsheet.

Then I got a warning from my 401k account plan policies to never share usernames and passwords to 3rd party accounts including financial aggregation sites. I am not sure what spurred on this warning, they must have had reason to believe that some of these web sites had some risk at being hacked. I was concerned that revealing the username and password to the aggregator might nullify fraud protections. I did not value full view as a tool very much so I deleted my full view accounts and reset my passwords.
Last edited by 2pedals on Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
student

Post by student »

I use the tools but I manually input the holdings and update them regularly.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

I use the analysis tab to track my AA. But, I have manually entered all of my data in the Analysis tab. I have never visited full view (don't want to give Fido passwords). Since I don't trade in my Vanguard account, it wasn't that much trouble to enter all my assets outside Fido and update it occasionally.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

I've tried it. I wish it would work better, but requires too much trust/risk and moreover way too much maintanance. Honestly, it's not Fidelitys fault that other companies are constantly changing things, but they can't keep up and I can't keep up. Instead of trying to keep track of all my accounts, I've been putting more effort into paring down to the essential accounts and either closing or ignoring minor ones.
Topic Author
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

inbox788 wrote:Honestly, it's not Fidelitys fault that other companies are constantly changing things, but they can't keep up and I can't keep up.
I don't fault Fidelity for not being able to connect. That's the responsibility of their data provider (Yodlee?) and it's a moving target.

I do fault Fidelity for not properly displaying allocation by asset class rather than by account.
student

Post by student »

spammagnet wrote:
inbox788 wrote:Honestly, it's not Fidelitys fault that other companies are constantly changing things, but they can't keep up and I can't keep up.
I don't fault Fidelity for not being able to connect. That's the responsibility of their data provider (Yodlee?) and it's a moving target.

I do fault Fidelity for not properly displaying allocation by asset class rather than by account.
I don't quite understand. It displays asset allocation across all accounts for me. I have double checked this with Personal Capital and both essential give the same allocation.
Topic Author
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

student wrote:I don't quite understand. It displays asset allocation across all accounts for me. I have double checked this with Personal Capital and both essential give the same allocation.
The "asset" description I see is the account name, not asset class. Others corroborated that. I can't find any setting that would result in that view. It is the same both in Full View and in portfolio analysis.

Personal Capital got it right with the exception of a few unusual funds in my DW's 401k, and I can assign a single class tio those, at least. I'm hoping to find a way to see it all in one place, i.e., Fidelity.
student

Post by student »

spammagnet wrote:
student wrote:I don't quite understand. It displays asset allocation across all accounts for me. I have double checked this with Personal Capital and both essential give the same allocation.
The "asset" description I see is the account name, not asset class. Others corroborated that. I can't find any setting that would result in that view. It is the same both in Full View and in portfolio analysis.

Personal Capital got it right with the exception of a few unusual funds in my DW's 401k, and I can assign a single class tio those, at least. I'm hoping to find a way to see it all in one place, i.e., Fidelity.
It seems that Hayden above also has the correct AA displayed. I click the ANALYSIS tab. I see ACCOUNT VIEW highlighted in green. To its left, I see a drop down menu. I click on it and checked the box for SELECT ALL ACCOUNTS. I click UPDATE VIEW. It will update and give me the asset allocation across all accounts. I can also ask it to general a report with many more information.
Beck49

Post by Beck49 »

FV can be a little slow and clunky, but in the end it allows me to track my expenses very easily. This is important to me as I run up to retirement. It also accurately captures Fidelity and external investments. With that said, I have a substantial amount in TIAA-CREF and while FV accurately tracks the value of the various plans, the Asset Allocation reports these funds as Unknown. I don't have a hard time putting the two together manually, but obviously FV has some limits.
student

Post by student »

Beck49 wrote:FV can be a little slow and clunky, but in the end it allows me to track my expenses very easily. This is important to me as I run up to retirement. It also accurately captures Fidelity and external investments. With that said, I have a substantial amount in TIAA-CREF and while FV accurately tracks the value of the various plans, the Asset Allocation reports these funds as Unknown. I don't have a hard time putting the two together manually, but obviously FV has some limits.
Which TIAA-CREF fund(s) you have trouble getting FV to recognize? I am assuming it is TIAA Traditional. I use inflation linked bond fund as a substitute.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

Beck49 wrote:FV can be a little slow and clunky, but in the end it allows me to track my expenses very easily. This is important to me as I run up to retirement. It also accurately captures Fidelity and external investments. With that said, I have a substantial amount in TIAA-CREF and while FV accurately tracks the value of the various plans, the Asset Allocation reports these funds as Unknown. I don't have a hard time putting the two together manually, but obviously FV has some limits.
One unfortunate weakness of FullView is the Fidelity Rewards Card (Elan). There is no connection that allows you to pull expenses into FV?? I've sent several secure emails over the past year and I always get a reply that they are working on it . . . That's a key reason I don't use the card.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
Beck49

Post by Beck49 »

student wrote:
Which TIAA-CREF fund(s) you have trouble getting FV to recognize? I am assuming it is TIAA Traditional. I use inflation linked bond fund as a substitute.

Actually, it isn't including any of the TIAA-CREF money in the asset allocation, other than in Unknown. As I recall Financial Engines had the same problem, but haven't looked at FE for a few years so I might be mistaken.
student

Post by student »

Beck49 wrote:
student wrote:

Actually, it isn't including any of the TIAA-CREF money in the asset allocation, other than in Unknown. As I recall Financial Engines had the same problem, but haven't looked at FE for a few years so I might be mistaken.
That's interesting. Did you input the numbers yourself or let FV pull from TIAA-CREF? I have TIAA-CREF and I entered the numbers myself.
Beck49

Post by Beck49 »

student wrote:
Beck49 wrote:
student wrote:

That's interesting. Did you input the numbers yourself or let FV pull from TIAA-CREF? I have TIAA-CREF and I entered the numbers myself.
I let FV do it.
student

Post by student »

Beck49 wrote:
student wrote:
Beck49 wrote:
student wrote:

I let FV do it.
I see. Based on the responses, it seems when FV is pulling the info, it runs into this problem.
Topic Author
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

I did find asset allocation in portfolio analysis and it does display the allocation by asset class, but it does not include external accounts seen in Full View. The latter reports asset allocation only by accounts, not by class, as I reported earlier. If something I'm doing excludes external accounts from portfolio analysis, it would be good to know.
student

Post by student »

spammagnet wrote:I did find asset allocation in portfolio analysis and it does display the allocation by asset class, but it does not include external accounts seen in Full View. The latter reports asset allocation only by accounts, not by class, as I reported earlier. If something I'm doing excludes external accounts from portfolio analysis, it would be good to know.
Thanks for reporting back. Based on the responses, the following seem to be true:
1) The analysis displays the allocation by asset class across all accounts if the external accounts are manually added.
2) The analysis does not display the allocation by asset class across all accounts if the external accounts are pulled by full view.

Can you try adding a fake account manually to see whether the analysis displays the allocation by asset class including this fake account? If so, then the problem is not due to your action. In any case, I think you mentioned that you also use Personal Capital and it displays correctly. I use both Fidelity and Personal Capital, and the asset allocations from both are essentially the same. In my case, I manually add the accounts.
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

I prefer Morningstar X-ray portfolio.
Beck49

Post by Beck49 »

student wrote:
Beck49 wrote:
student wrote:
Beck49 wrote:
student wrote:

I let FV do it.
I see. Based on the responses, it seems when FV is pulling the info, it runs into this problem.
The really annoying part is that on the Analysis page, with 69% Unknown, there is a link to more information that shows all of the assets in the correct total. In this list it includes all of the TIAA-CREF accounts with names like CREF Bond Fund, but then in the categorization it lists those assets as Unknown instead of Bonds. The same with the Stock accounts. It's too bad there is no way to change the categorization manually.