I have a car and home on the same insurance policy if I drop the house how much will the car insurance go up?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
rec7

I have a car and home on the same insurance policy if I drop the house how much will the car insurance go up?

Post by rec7 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:17 pm

Thanks in advance. I am guessing some of you have done this.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

mhalley

Re: I have a car and home on the same insurance policy if I drop the house how much will the car insurance go up?

Post by mhalley » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:21 pm

Most of the time it makes sense to have them with the same company to obtain the discount, the amount of which varies by company. You might check your bill, sometimes they list the discounts that apply.

Mike Scott

Re: I have a car and home on the same insurance policy if I drop the house how much will the car insurance go up?

Post by Mike Scott » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:22 pm

Have you asked your insurance agent?

akblizzard

Post by akblizzard » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:01 pm

I had a similar "discount" until I changed car insurance to Progressive. It was $25 a year.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:56 pm

It is usually 5-15% discount. My current discount is 6%, but it applies to both policies and saves me about 65.00 per year.

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

rec7

Post by rec7 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:26 pm

Thanks everybody. I was just looking for a ballpark number.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:43 pm

My GEICO auto policy shows something called multiline discount which I believe is the discount for having other policies with GEICO. Perhaps your auto policy shows something similar.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:53 pm

DSInvestor wrote:My GEICO auto policy shows something called multiline discount which I believe is the discount for having other policies with GEICO. Perhaps your auto policy shows something similar.
I get the multiline discount but they do not show the $ amount.