YouTube TV - Anyone used or currently using?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
FrugalInvestor

YouTube TV - Anyone used or currently using?

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:39 am

I've used or am using most of the others (Sling, DirecTVNow and PSVue). Based on reviews I'm not interested in HuluTV. I'm curious if anyone has experience with YouTube TV? It's only available in limited markets and supposedly is coming to our area soon. I'm interested in first-hand reviews of the service but am not able to find much online.

If anyone has used YouTube TV I'd be very interested to read about your experience with it.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

abracadabra11

Re: YouTube TV - Anyone used or currently using?

Post by abracadabra11 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:09 am

I may try out the service soon - if so, I'll keep you posted.

You don't need to wait until the service comes to your market to sign up and give it a try if you have a VPN. Connect to one of the metro areas with service (I tried New York server and it was ready to activate) and voila. This will allow you to use the month-long free trial and gauge the service on your own even before it hits your particular market.

Will 82

Post by Will 82 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:34 pm

I've had it for almost two months now. I chose it because basically the only tv I watch live is sports and it has all the sports channels I want at the best price. No Turner though, so once March Madness comes around you'll be out of luck for the games on those channels. Have all the locals.

I have no complaints so far. Unlimited DVR. I think it's three simultaneous streams at one time. Beats the heck out of paying $180/month to Comcast.

As of now, can only watch on TV through Chromecast or Airplay on AppleTV. I bought two Chromecasts ($35/each) and already had an Apple TV. Got another free Chromecast after paying the first month bill (after 30 day free trial).

Any specific questions, let me know.. I'll try to help out.

tj

Post by tj » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:52 pm

I've had it for almost two months now. I chose it because basically the only tv I watch live is sports and it has all the sports channels I want at the best price. No Turner though, so once March Madness comes around you'll be out of luck for the games on those channels. Have all the locals.
To me, the lack of TBS and TNT is huge. I'd also prefer to have the Pac 12 Network which, at this point, limits me to Sling and CenturyLink Stream.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:17 pm

Will 82 wrote:I've had it for almost two months now. I chose it because basically the only tv I watch live is sports and it has all the sports channels I want at the best price. No Turner though, so once March Madness comes around you'll be out of luck for the games on those channels. Have all the locals.

I have no complaints so far. Unlimited DVR. I think it's three simultaneous streams at one time. Beats the heck out of paying $180/month to Comcast.

As of now, can only watch on TV through Chromecast or Airplay on AppleTV. I bought two Chromecasts ($35/each) and already had an Apple TV. Got another free Chromecast after paying the first month bill (after 30 day free trial).

Any specific questions, let me know.. I'll try to help out.
Will, how well does the DVR work? I've found that on PSVue it can be very clumsy trying to commercial skip, FF or rewind. Sometimes it work and others it gets confused, starts jumping around, etc. Have you had these issues with Youtube TV? Also, is there a guide and is the overall interface polished or clumsy?
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Will 82

Post by Will 82 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:43 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote: Will, how well does the DVR work? I've found that on PSVue it can be very clumsy trying to commercial skip, FF or rewind. Sometimes it work and others it gets confused, starts jumping around, etc. Have you had these issues with Youtube TV? Also, is there a guide and is the overall interface polished or clumsy?

I have had no issues with the DVR at all. Overall interface is very smooth. There is a live tab that tells you what's currently on all the channels. There is also a search feature that is very easy to use.. You can search for a tv show, movie, or sporting event - then set it to record when it comes on live.

Here's a quick 2 minute video to show the basics..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVUeSy6dHBE

Just a disclaimer, I haven't tried any of the others, so can't compare. With the 30 day free trial, I definitely recommend giving it a shot once it comes to your area.
tj wrote: I'd also prefer to have the Pac 12 Network which, at this point, limits me to Sling and CenturyLink Stream.
I get that.. I'm a SEC guy though, so it has all my alma mater's games covered with CBS, ESPNs, SEC Network, and watchESPN access.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:38 pm

I don't quite understand. Is YouTube TV a substitute for a TV, or do you need a TV to access YouTube TV? (I know I'm dense.)

Thanks.
Gordon

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:55 pm

gkaplan wrote:I don't quite understand. Is YouTube TV a substitute for a TV, or do you need a TV to access YouTube TV? (I know I'm dense.)

Thanks.
Youtube TV is streaming TV plus other on demand programming. You can access it through mobile devices. At the current time you can also 'cast' it to your TV using a Chromecast device. It's basically another streaming service like Sling, DirecTV Now, PSVue, etc. Most of these cost $25 to $50/month and facilitate "cutting the cable" to one degree or another (depending on your priorities).

aqan

Post by aqan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:15 am

is there an app for Apple/Fire TV or you'll need to get chrome cast ?

Will 82

Post by Will 82 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:09 am

aqan wrote:is there an app for Apple/Fire TV or you'll need to get chrome cast ?
You can Airplay to Apple TV. Nothing for Fire TV.

AF-Veteran

Post by AF-Veteran » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:16 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:I've used or am using most of the others (Sling, DirecTVNow and PSVue). Based on reviews I'm not interested in HuluTV. I'm curious if anyone has experience with YouTube TV? It's only available in limited markets and supposedly is coming to our area soon. I'm interested in first-hand reviews of the service but am not able to find much online.

If anyone has used YouTube TV I'd be very interested to read about your experience with it.
I'm currently on the 30-day free trial. Really like the quality of the picture your able to cast to TVs. Have both Chromecast Ultra and 2nd Gen Chromecast devices on my two primary TVs.

Biggest disappointment (by far) is why Google doesn't allow the Youtube TV app to install and work on Android tablets, but installs and works fine on smaller Android phones. I have newer Samsung and Asus tablets and would love to use them instead as my "remote" and channel selector, but no .... :annoyed

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:01 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I received an email a couple of days ago announcing the launch of Youtube TV in our market beginning yesterday. My new Chromecast that I purchased on Prime day just happened to arrive in the mail yesterday as well. So today I signed up and have been playing with it. We're watching an in-market baseball game on the Fox regional sports network as I write this and I'm controlling the stream from my Samsung Chromebook Plus. My wife has been using her Project Fi Nexus 5x phone to cast as well. We're just a Google kinda family! :happy

So far everything is going pretty smoothly, especially considering where we are on the learning curve. The quality of the stream is excellent with no hiccups like freezing (this has certainly not been the case with PSVue nor was it with DirectTV or Sling). I'm hopeful! I don't like the live TV 'guide' nearly as well as PSVue but I expect I'll adapt to that and the quality of the stream is paramount. I do like that it will automatically record an entire series and leave them in my library for 9 months - pretty slick!

If things continue to go this smoothly I'll be switching to Youtube TV in a month when my free trial (and PSVue subscription) expire.

mikefixac

Post by mikefixac » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:52 pm

Geez, that Youtube TV looks pretty good. Round it out with Netflix and Ama Prime, you're doing pretty good.

What I like is the unlimited recording of shows or the number of shows at the same time. Also that up to six can have their own account within the account. Does that mean, get 5 friends, all can use it, and just pay $6 each?

I have the Youtube Red for $10/month. Basically I can watch all the youtube videos commercial free. I like that. I was watching the British Open today and could not believe the amount of commercials.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:24 pm

mikefixac wrote:Geez, that Youtube TV looks pretty good. Round it out with Netflix and Ama Prime, you're doing pretty good.

What I like is the unlimited recording of shows or the number of shows at the same time. Also that up to six can have their own account within the account. Does that mean, get 5 friends, all can use it, and just pay $6 each?

I have the Youtube Red for $10/month. Basically I can watch all the youtube videos commercial free. I like that. I was watching the British Open today and could not believe the amount of commercials.
One caveat....6 users but 3 concurrent streams. Probably safer to go with 3 people at $12.

tj

Post by tj » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:35 pm

YouTube TV seems to be missing TBS and TNT. That seems like pretty major holes in their programming.

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:54 pm

tj wrote:YouTube TV seems to be missing TBS and TNT. That seems like pretty major holes in their programming.
It also seems to be missing Discovery, History, and Syfy. And, weirdly, CNN.

tj

Post by tj » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:37 am

FedGuy wrote:
tj wrote:YouTube TV seems to be missing TBS and TNT. That seems like pretty major holes in their programming.
It also seems to be missing Discovery, History, and Syfy. And, weirdly, CNN.
Not weirdly, CNN is a Turner netowrk just like TBS and TNT.

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:59 am

tj wrote:Not weirdly, CNN is a Turner netowrk just like TBS and TNT.
Fair enough. Thanks.

So, if I were to switch to Youtube TV, would I be able to watch programs on TBS, TNT, Discovery, History, and Syfy through my Internet? It looks like I can generally do so now, but I currently subscribe to a cable package that provides access to these channels, and I've been told that at least some of these channels block you from viewing their programs through their website if you can't provide login or similar information showing that you subscribe to a cable company that carries the relevant channel.

prudent

Post by prudent » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:57 am

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.

danaht

Post by danaht » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:08 am

I have been using it for the last week. You Tube TV is great! Use it with an Android phone and Chromecast - and it can be a very good replacement for traditional Direct TV or cable. Being able to record shows and the ability to fast forward and rewind from live and recorded shows are the main features that make this service one of the best. There are a few "on demand" shows that you cannot rewind or fast forward without watching commercials - that is the one major limitation I see with this service. But compared to something like Direct TV Now - where I could not record, rewind, or fast forward any of my shows - this service offers a much better value so far.

keystone

Post by keystone » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:51 am

I will probably try it out soon since Vue will be raising their price and it is very appealing that Youtube TV has all three major networks in my region.

The only thing holding me back right now is that it is not compatible with Roku or Fire TV. I don't like the idea of having to buy another device just to try it out, but perhaps Roku/Fire integration will happen soon.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:36 am

FedGuy wrote:
tj wrote:Not weirdly, CNN is a Turner netowrk just like TBS and TNT.
Fair enough. Thanks.

So, if I were to switch to Youtube TV, would I be able to watch programs on TBS, TNT, Discovery, History, and Syfy through my Internet? It looks like I can generally do so now, but I currently subscribe to a cable package that provides access to these channels, and I've been told that at least some of these channels block you from viewing their programs through their website if you can't provide login or similar information showing that you subscribe to a cable company that carries the relevant channel.
All streaming services are "skinny." In other words, they offer a specific set of channels that may or may not match your watching habits. On the other hand, they are typically much less expensive than traditional cable packages for which prices seem to rise quite regularly.

Many people, including me, have gotten tired of cable TV prices and pricing games and have decided that the value is not there any longer. The trick for us is to find the streaming service that fits us best and weigh that value equation against our local cable provider. Fortunately over the last year or two many options have popped up. Youtube TV is one of those (others I know of include Sling, DirecTV NOW, Playstation Vue, Hulu with TV).

In my family's particular case, the cable package we previously purchased was chosen largely based on the available sports channels and we had to 'step up' in order to get that package. As a result we had a plethora of other channels on our lineup that we never watched so provided no value to us.

For us, the beauty of streaming with a service like Youtube TV is that we get the channels we actually watch without so much stuff that we don't and we pay a price commensurate with that "skinnier" package. In addition, we can stop or start service or switch to another service at anytime since all services are month to month. This can (and does for us) translate to a geat deal of savings with little to no downside.

So the trick is to find a bundle (streaming channel lineup) that fits your needs which will not be possible for everyone. It may not even be possible for the majority of people. But for those of us that it works it can be a very good thing. We now spend $85/month instead of $155/month for internet and TV for over $800/year in savings and we get more of the sports channels that we want.

The other thing to consider is that if streaming catches on (and it seems to be) then the cable companies will need to become more competitive. Where I have lived (multiple locations) the cable companies have had a virtual monopoly and their actions have reflected that monopoly power. That won't be possible if streaming packages work for a significant percentage of the population which should end up benefitting everyone. Choices are good and steaming is giving all of us a lot more choices.

tech_arch

Post by tech_arch » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:11 am

It just came to our area so we're doing a trial right now. We currently subscribe to PSVue. The big advantage YouTube TV has for us is that it provides the local stations, which currently aren't available to us on PSVue. The downside is that they don't have an app (yet) for the Fire TV. To get around that we bought an app (Airplay Receiver) for $2.99 that lets us use Airplay on the Fire TV. It's not as convenient, but otherwise works well.
Will 82 wrote:
aqan wrote:is there an app for Apple/Fire TV or you'll need to get chrome cast ?
You can Airplay to Apple TV. Nothing for Fire TV.
That was our concern, too, until we found out about Airplay Receiver after searching around.

Psyayeayeduck

Post by Psyayeayeduck » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:57 am

I tried it out last week to take advantage of their 1st free month promotion.

Pro:
- App interface is incredibly smooth on my android. You can preview live channels as you scroll the channel list. Quite handy if you want to see if your channel is on a commercial or not right there and then.

- Since I'm "relatively" near a large city, I get my local channels live (ABC, NBC, FOX, and CBS). CBS surprised me because it is not typically included with the other cordcutters options.

- Right now, you qualify for a free Chromecast once you made your first monthly payment and receive it at the end of your 1st paying month. I am not sure which version it is but it may be worth it if you were planning to buy one anyways.

- On some channels, you can go back on the live streaming.

Cons:
- Very limited channel selection. Compared to SlingTV and Playstation Vue, it is sadly thin. If I remember correctly, the Turner channels are not included. The price may not be worth the small selection.

- Their movie selection seems based on what movies are shown on TV with the channels they are showing. Thus, it is very limited.

- You would need a Chromecast if you want to see it on your television unless your TV has a built-in Chromecast feature. If your TV doesn't have it, using a portable Chromecast would require else to cast if from (e.g. phone, tablet). So it is more of a technological hassle to jump through just to watch TV. Sadly, no Roku interface as of now.

- I find this a con but you can watch YouTube TV via your desktop but it requires you using Chrome as your browser. I find this quite annoying (understandable though because YouTube is an extension of Google) especially with some of privacy issues going on with Google and Chrome. In addition, Chrome is a RAM hog so it will slow your computer a bit for the simplest of actions (unless you have sufficient memory to handle it).

- If you are using a 1st generation Chromecast, YouTube TV will load much slower than the later versions. I got the impression that using the 1st generation Chromecast is discouraged by the folks from YouTube TV.

Overall, I didn't like it as it is now. I may revisit when they improve their channel selection and hardware availability.

mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:08 am

I would not recommend it until they support set top boxes (Apple TV, Roku, etc.) and support 60fps. Having to use a chromecast or Airplay is pretty weak and having everything in 30fps is not acceptable. As it is now, it's pretty incomplete. I would recommend Playstation Vue right now with Hulu (also 30fps), DirecTV Now, and Sling TV (also 30fps) close behind. If you care at all about picture quality (especially sports), DirecTV Now and Playstation Vue are the only options IMO.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:06 am

I understand the concerns stated by others but the longer we use it the more we like it. We've left the other services (Sling, DirecTV NOW, and PSVue) due to intermittent problems that became more and more regular. So far with YouTube TV we've had zero technical glitches and the picture, although not quite as good as our OTA signal, seems pretty darn good to us.

The 30fps doesn't seem to bother us (and we subscribe primarily for sports - MLB right now) but having to constantly reset or reload due to freeze-ups, video jumping around in time, etc. is very frustrating. These things were beginning to happen a lot with Playstation Vue after being very occasional for the first month or so. The picture quality with Sling kept degrading to the point that it was almost unwatchable and DirecTV NOW had random problems. The evening that DTVNow presented a blackout message we decided to try the PSVue free trial and voila!, there was the game streaming just fine.

Hopefully Youtube TV will be trouble-free . So far there's absolutely no indication to the contrary but we're pretty early in the testing stage.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:17 am

FrugalInvestor wrote:
gkaplan wrote:I don't quite understand. Is YouTube TV a substitute for a TV, or do you need a TV to access YouTube TV? (I know I'm dense.) Thanks.
Youtube TV is streaming TV plus other on demand programming. You can access it through mobile devices. At the current time you can also 'cast' it to your TV using a Chromecast device. It's basically another streaming service like Sling, DirecTV Now, PSVue, etc. Most of these cost $25 to $50/month and facilitate "cutting the cable" to one degree or another (depending on your priorities).
Am I missing the point? Plugging into 3-4 services at $25-$50 a pop comes in at a comparable cost to cable.
Do I also need multiple devices - plus OTA - as well?
AND then how do I generate the time to watch all this stuff?
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

tech_arch

Post by tech_arch » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:26 am

S&L1940 wrote: Am I missing the point? Plugging into 3-4 services at $25-$50 a pop comes in at a comparable cost to cable.
We have PSVue, Netflix, and HBO Now. We'd have Netflix and HBO with or without cable for the movies, Game of Thrones, and Sesame Street so our comparison is PSVue vs. cable vs. satellite. $40 for PSVue is *way* cheaper than the other options for us, specifically because I want NBC Sports which generally requires a higher tier package. On DirecTV, that meant something like $80 + taxes and fees.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:54 am

S&L1940 wrote:[Am I missing the point? Plugging into 3-4 services at $25-$50 a pop comes in at a comparable cost to cable.
We got tired of the cost of cable increasing both through standard rate increases and other pricing tactics. The last straw for me was our local cable company requiring that every TV have a 'box' in order to receive any programming. Of course the boxes added cost of about $10/month per (seldom used) TV.

In our case free OTA TV became the primary alternative. That gets us the 5 major networks (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC and PBS) and adding a TiVo OTA DVR gives us the ability to time shift to our hearts' content. Getting rid of our cable subscription (about $155/month) paid for the OTA equipment cost in about 3 months.

What we lost with OTA were sports and that's where the streaming came in. Most of the streaming services began offering the regional Fox sports networks about a year ago which was the answer for receiving live in-market MLB baseball games (my wife loves baseball!). By adding a streaming service to our (free) OTA service we now get the sports we were previously watching plus more that we weren't willing to pay for in the past, but enjoy nonetheless. For instance, I can now watch my alma mater's football and basketball games for which I used to have to go to a sports bar and spend money to see (didn't do it much). Streaming also adds cable news and other channels that round out the channel line-up for us. This costs $38/month with tax.

So our TV programming costs us $37/month after the 3-month payback. We need internet of course (that's the cable we now can't cut) and it costs us $48/month so we're at $85/month for a savings of $70/month. It won't make us rich but it's significant.

As far as adding other services, we occasionally use Netflix or others but get access to those through family or friends' accounts for free. And we're retired so time is much more plentiful than it once was.

I have to admit that I and my wife got so tired of dealing with the cable companies (current and past residences) that I became very determined to kick them to the curb. Since doing so, every time I drive by one of their storefronts or get a "please come back" mailing I get a big smile on my face. :D

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:29 am

Frugal Investor wrote:
"So our TV programming costs us $37/month after the 3-month payback. We need internet of course (that's the cable we now can't cut) and it costs us $48/month so we're at $85/month for a savings of $70/month. It won't make us rich but it's significant.

As far as adding other services, we occasionally use Netflix or others but get access to those through family or friends' accounts for free. And we're retired so time is much more plentiful than it once was.

I have to admit that I and my wife got so tired of dealing with the cable companies (current and past residences) that it I became very determined to kick them to the curb. Every time I drive by one of their storefronts today I get a big smile on my face. :D"

Yeah wrestling with cable bills suck, same with cellular, yet, counting the savings when plugging into "family or friends' accounts" should not figure into your lower cost mode. As a land line family, with Comcast's triple service package and an HOA bundle we are at $140. A number that periodically goes down when we apply our negotiating skills every year for an hour or so.
For us, not being major sports fans frees up some time to read a book; either from the library or previously purchased with sunk money so without current costs.
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone