Help me with potential new job situation

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
sksbog

Help me with potential new job situation

Post by sksbog » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:28 pm

After failed attempts to attain meaningful (& interesting) work at my current company, I decided few months ago to look for another job.
I started giving many phone interviews and finally secured 3 face-to-face interviews. Coincidentally, these interviews are lined up within a day or two from each other.
I am expecting at least one offer (worst case, none) or best case 3 offers.
I don't want to get caught off guard when any of this happens. And prepare my answers/wordings in advance.

I would like to compare benefits, if I have more than one offer, I would like to negotiate independent of each other.

How would I prepare my wordings to ask Company 1 to wait few days (3-5) if/when it extends an offer? Would it be appropriate to tell them that I am waiting to hear back from another firm?

Please advise.

Thanks

MutualEdge

Re: Help me with potential new job situation

Post by MutualEdge » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:58 pm

First, congrats on wanting better for yourself! Sometimes, we try hard to make that happen at our current place of employment and for one reason or another it just doesn't work out. It's working in your favor to have several interviews so close together. It's a good sign and I hope you get at least two if not three solid offers quickly. Make sure you thank the recruiter or hiring manager for the offer when you get one and say that you're really excited or very interested in the opportunity to xyz. After, you could say something like, I'd like to take a couple of days to think about it. IMO a week is considered fine. If pressured, you could give a date, a week from then or whatever you decide. A good company will expect this. You could then call or email the other companies (if seriously interested) and let them know that you really enjoyed meeting xyz and talking to xyz and you are hoping to hear from them as you have another offer. That will prompt them to move or not and that's what you need in order to begin comparisons and negotiations. If you're on LinkedIn and you don't follow her already, I like Liz Ryan and her human voice approach to workplace quandries (no affiliation).

Good luck! I'm sure many more will chime in with good advice and experiences.

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:03 pm

agree with above!

Be excited about each and every company you meet. Be like: "You really want to work there".

And if you get into the position of having accepted multiple offers.... you won't be the first to call and say you've changed your mind, or renegotiate the offer, etc!)
-calijim- | | For more info, click this

sksbog

Post by sksbog » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:42 am

Thanks @MutualEdge, CaliJim.

How to respond when the recruiter will say" You seem very much interested when we spoke earlier. Why do you need time? What do you want to think about?"

WorkToLive

Post by WorkToLive » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:29 am

IME, it's normal to ask for time. Recruiters also will send you benefits information. This is normal stuff! Good luck!!

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:33 am

CaliJim wrote: And if you get into the position of having accepted multiple offers.... you won't be the first to call and say you've changed your mind, or renegotiate the offer, etc!)
Yuck.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:37 am

Insurance plans are difficult to compare from one employer to another. Besides the monthly premium that you pay out of pocket, there are many variables, including copays, coinsurance, and prescription drug cost. Be aware that a generic drug on plan A may actually be a brand on plan B and visa versa. About the best you can do is ask for the summary description of each and compare.

Look for a solid retirement plan.

If you are young enough (and have interest) to go back to school for higher education, ask about continuing education program, and whether the company actually funds the plan.

wilked

Post by wilked » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:22 am

Pretty simple if you only need a week or so - tell them you have a small family getaway for a few days and will respond to them when you return.

I think you are worrying yourself over nothing that will happen. Any reasonable company can wait a week. If they can't wait a week, they better be presenting a really compelling offer

MutualEdge

Post by MutualEdge » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:34 am

sksbog wrote:Thanks @MutualEdge, CaliJim.

How to respond when the recruiter will say" You seem very much interested when we spoke earlier. Why do you need time? What do you want to think about?"
You could say something along the lines of "I'm extremely interested in [insert what you will be doing for them] and think I could be a real asset to the team. I'd just like a couple of days to go over the offer details and review the benefits information you sent. As soon as I have a chance to do that, I'll get back to you. I'm sure I'll be able to do this by xyz. Thank you again for all of your assistance throughout the interview process. I'm very excited about the offer." (they should send you benefits info-ask if not-and as another poster suggested look over healthcare with a fine-toothed comb :happy ).

I've only had one instance where the hiring manager pushed hard to have me accept on the spot and it's usually a red flag. Go with your gut!

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:46 am

sksbog wrote:After failed attempts to attain meaningful (& interesting) work at my current company, I decided few months ago to look for another job.
I started giving many phone interviews and finally secured 3 face-to-face interviews. Coincidentally, these interviews are lined up within a day or two from each other.
I am expecting at least one offer (worst case, none) or best case 3 offers.
I don't want to get caught off guard when any of this happens. And prepare my answers/wordings in advance.

I would like to compare benefits, if I have more than one offer, I would like to negotiate independent of each other.

How would I prepare my wordings to ask Company 1 to wait few days (3-5) if/when it extends an offer? Would it be appropriate to tell them that I am waiting to hear back from another firm?

Please advise.

Thanks
I think you are making one critical assumption that may or may not prove to be true. You are assuming that because the interviews are closely clustered within a couple of days that any offers will also come in very close together. What happens if you are the last of a series of people being interviewed for company A but the first person being interviewed for company B? Even if a company really likes you, I doubt they would jump the gun and offer you the job before interviewing all (or at least most of) the candidates they have lined up for interviews.

In addition, some company's hiring practices just grind more slowly than others. My current employer is well known for being very slow - to the point where we have lost good candidates. By the time we get back to them they have already accepted other offers. But I lucked into being interviewed at the tail end of interviewing for the position I got - it took just 1 week from my 1st telephone interview with HR to an offer contingent on a drug test and background check. (I found out later from my manager that they were concerned that the requisition was going to be pulled because of the timing - end of 3Q - and the length of time it had been out there). Everyone was shocked that my process (3 phone interviews and one in person interview) was compressed into 4 days and that I got an offer back that quickly.

So I strongly recommend that you ask the question "when can I expect to hear back from you?" sometime during each in-person interview. If it looks like you won't be hearing back around the same time, then IMO you should also give serious thought to how you would handle not hearing back from the company you favor but getting an offer from one of the other companies.

MutualEdge

Post by MutualEdge » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:49 am

wilked wrote:Pretty simple if you only need a week or so - tell them you have a small family getaway for a few days and will respond to them when you return.

I think you are worrying yourself over nothing that will happen. Any reasonable company can wait a week. If they can't wait a week, they better be presenting a really compelling offer
+1 this is great advice too. You can always use travel as a buffer for offers or more time between interviews if you're interviewing at multiple places.

ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:55 am

sksbog - congratulations on your decision and the upcoming process. It is clear you have valuable skills to orchestrate the situation you're in and I'm sure you're taking steps to be well prepared for the upcoming conversations. Lots of good advice provided by previous posters too.

I recently went through a job change and am now at my 4th company over a 20 year career. My most recent job change was not due to a lack of fulfillment or issues with the previous company, but rather to seek a new challenge. One thing to be prepared for would be a counteroffer from your current company which could entail additional compensation, offer for a new role, or other intangibles. Ensure you prepare for this scenario or if you have a business mentor or colleague that you trust it might be worthwhile to discuss options as they develop.

As cherijoh mentioned, once your interviews begin it may be difficult to manage timing as every company and opportunity moves at a different pace. As to the question, "Why do you need time?", a good recruiter will appreciate that you are thoughtful and need to discuss the opportunity with your family, or if you are single, an advisor whom you trust.

A new adventure awaits. Good luck and kick some arse!
A wise man and his money are friends forever...

NYCguy

Post by NYCguy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:30 am

If the employer with the most exciting opportunity offers you a job on terms you are excited about accept the position on the spot. Otherwise:

1. Express your enthusiasm for the opportunity being offered to you.

2. Explain that you are fortunate to have multiple opportunities given the importance of making the correct decision for both you and your new employer he would like a few days to respond. During the interview process it is OK to mention, if asked, that you are in the final round of interviews with a couple of companies

Then go to the employer that you are most excited about and explain that you have an offer with a short timeframe and see if they can accelerate their process.

Happens all the time. Good luck!
If your out-go is greater than your income, your upkeep will be your DOWNFALL.

sksbog

Post by sksbog » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:02 pm

Thanks Everyone ! Lot of good advise for now and to keep notes for future :)