Where to stay/what to do in Seattle

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Small Law Survivor

Where to stay/what to do in Seattle

Post by Small Law Survivor »

Wife and daughter are going to wedding on Bainbridge Island in mid-July, and I'm helping them plan the trip. They will have a couple of days in Seattle before heading off to the wedding.

We have no friends or contacts in Seattle, and don't know much about city, so any help/recommendations would be much appreciated.

Hotel: any suggestions about where to stay, or what part of the city to stay in? I'm suggesting they stay near the ferry, which I think is "downtown". But, they'd also appreciate a neighborhood/walkable area. Looked on Airbnb, but since we don't know the city, it's difficult to use that service.
Car rental: current thinking is not to bother with car rental, but use Uber/cabs to get around. This will avoid the confusion of driving around a strange city and dealing with traffic and parking. It will also make it easier to use the ferry (no wait). Does this sound reasonable?
What to do and see in Seattle: any suggestions would be appreciated. My wife has always enjoyed "hop on/hop off" narrated bus tours, and I assume Seattle will have that. Daughter seems interested in Space Needle. An interesting, walkable area would be great. Needless to say, they enjoy shopping, but they don't need to go to Seattle to shop in the same chain stores that exist everywhere.

Thanks in advance for any responses!
72 yrs. mostly-retired lawyer. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard long before that) under various names
Dottie57

Re: Where to stay/what to do in Seattle

Post by Dottie57 »

At the space needle there is a "garden of glass" which is pretty spectacular. It costs money, but is well worth it. There is an open air market on the waterfront which is fun. Whale watching?

Look forsuggestions via google?
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

• Pike Place Market (Downtown) is the open-air market Dottie mentioned, and definitely worthwhile.
  • Olympic sculpture park (Downtown) is pleasant and provides a great view of the water.
  • Woodland Park Zoo (Phinney Ridge) is a very nice zoo imo. Not as impressive as San Diego zoo perhaps, but very nice.
  • Fremont is a small neighborhood with restaurants and shops that is pretty trendy and a really nice spot for lunch/dinner.
  • Gas Works Park is near Fremont and another great spot to see the water.
Have fun! :sharebeer
Submit to the relentless rules of humble arithmetic and avoid the tyranny of compounding costs.
Walleyewhacker

Post by Walleyewhacker »

We went same time last summer, beautiful place. Traffic is terrible so for planning, give yourself plenty of time. In addition to the already mentioned places, there is Mt Rainier close by if you like hiking or just want to get great view. We went whale watching one day and that was awesome IMHO. Pike Place was interesting but very crowded. I liked hanging out on the water front as well. For me, the highlight was the whale watching with Mt Rainier a close second. I would go back without going to a wedding and I don't like to travel!! Enjoy, great place to visit. BTW, we stayed just south of town and had to drive into town to get to places. If I was to go back I probably would get a hotel closer and pay more, very busy town and most of the stuff mention above is pretty close by.
Misenplace

Post by Misenplace »

To Stay- try Capital Hill. It is a more interesting neighborhood to stay in than downtown. It feels youthful, lots of good restaurants, interesting shops (remember that song "ThriftShop"- it was about Capital Hill), yet still close enough to downtown and the ferry to walk (albeit a long walk, and uphill going back to Capital Hill). However, you can also take the Light Rail or a bus to downtown and the ferry. In fact, the Light Rail goes from the airport all the way to U. of WA, with a stop in Capital Hill. When the streets are gridlocked, the light rail is the way to go.
Geneyus

Post by Geneyus »

We just got back from Seattle in April. We stayed at the StayPinapple Hotel, and it was within walking distance of everything we wanted to see, except the Fremont Troll and Gas Works Park. StayPinapple was one of the only affordable hotels we found downtown, and it has great service. We saw the Great Wheel, Pike Place Market (and hidden "gum wall" right next to it), the original Starbucks, Chihuly Garden & Glass, the Aquarium, Seattle Space Needle, MoPOP museum, and other downtown attractions with a 5 or 10 minute walk. We planned our days based on which direction everything was and walked that area each day. As for the Fremont Troll and Gas Works park, we caught an Uber. Google Seattle "City Pass" online. It will save you money on admission to participating attractions.
We also went to "Helicopters NW" (South of the city) with an Uber and took a 30 minute helicopter ride around Seattle. If your family has never been in a helicopter, Seattle is a good place to do it with all of the water and mountains. Groupon has a coupon for Helicopters NW that makes it very affordable (I think it was about $260 for the two of us).
We walked to the Argosy Ferry Tours (next to the Great Wheel) and took the ferry through the Ballard Locks. That was pretty cool because you can watch the water fill the area you're in and raise the boat. It's a guided tour, and they point out ships from the TV show "Deadliest Catch" and the houseboat from "Sleepless in Seattle". The Argosy tour and the Chihuly Garden & Glass were our favorites.
We took the ferry to Bainbridge Island and spent about 8 hours walking around. It was OK. If I went back, I don't know that I'd go there again. It should be nice for a wedding though. Make sure they have a light, breathable rain coat that is actually waterproof. It misted half the time we were there, but people were out in the rain flying kites and doing things the rest of us would never do in the rain. We really enjoyed Seattle.
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

I was in Seattle last November to speak at the estate planning conference in the convention center. I stayed in the Fairmont Olympic. I came a few days early. One day it rained so I went to the Seattle Art Museum. The other days I went to the Pike Place Market, the Space Needle and the Chihuly Garden and Glass. I walked everywhere except to and from the airport and a ride on the monorail.
Topic Author
Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor »

Genysus -
StayPinapple was one of the only affordable hotels we found downtown, and it has great service.
Looks like there are two StayPinapple hotels downtown - did you stay at the Maxwell Hotel or the Hotel FIVE?
72 yrs. mostly-retired lawyer. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard long before that) under various names
FB01

Post by FB01 »

Geneyus wrote:We just got back from Seattle in April. We stayed at the StayPinapple Hotel, and it was within walking distance of everything we wanted to see, except the Fremont Troll and Gas Works Park. StayPinapple was one of the only affordable hotels we found downtown, and it has great service. We saw the Great Wheel, Pike Place Market (and hidden "gum wall" right next to it), the original Starbucks, Chihuly Garden & Glass, the Aquarium, Seattle Space Needle, MoPOP museum, and other downtown attractions with a 5 or 10 minute walk. We planned our days based on which direction everything was and walked that area each day. As for the Fremont Troll and Gas Works park, we caught an Uber. Google Seattle "City Pass" online. It will save you money on admission to participating attractions.
We also went to "Helicopters NW" (South of the city) with an Uber and took a 30 minute helicopter ride around Seattle. If your family has never been in a helicopter, Seattle is a good place to do it with all of the water and mountains. Groupon has a coupon for Helicopters NW that makes it very affordable (I think it was about $260 for the two of us).
We walked to the Argosy Ferry Tours (next to the Great Wheel) and took the ferry through the Ballard Locks. That was pretty cool because you can watch the water fill the area you're in and raise the boat. It's a guided tour, and they point out ships from the TV show "Deadliest Catch" and the houseboat from "Sleepless in Seattle". The Argosy tour and the Chihuly Garden & Glass were our favorites.
We took the ferry to Bainbridge Island and spent about 8 hours walking around. It was OK. If I went back, I don't know that I'd go there again. It should be nice for a wedding though. Make sure they have a light, breathable rain coat that is actually waterproof. It misted half the time we were there, but people were out in the rain flying kites and doing things the rest of us would never do in the rain. We really enjoyed Seattle.

Which of the The Argosy tour you took? 1 hour or 2.5 hour..I am planning to go with kids so wanted to check which one would be better for them.

Thanks
Thanks, | FB
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

Airbnb at one of the more "reviewed" places. Private room/bath. ~$100/nite, 2-3 nite/3-4day minimum. Early and late checkin/checkout.

Disclaimer: Son is a popular Airbnb host. Fairly close in, a very short bus ride and/or street car to KingStreetStation or downtown.
Uber/Lyft/Smartcar are very popular. Bus is popular too if you use OrcaCard and know the route numbers (NextBus, google maps)
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
guardianangel

Post by guardianangel »

I lived in Seattle for several years and now live about 90 minutes north of Seattle. Definitely hit Pikes Place Market and the waterfront and then hop on the monorail to ride up the Space needle to catch the view and take pictures. I personally like the "Underground Tour" which is near downtown. It is a historical walking tour about Seattle's history that is also humorous and entertaining. The weather from July to September will usually be quite pleasant (and dry!) but it does cool down at night. Downtown Seattle gets dicey in the evenings when a substantial homeless population emerges to panhandle so I would not plan to do any walking around in the evenings. During the day will be fine and you can do much on foot if you do not mind climbing some hills.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

we have no problems with downtown/pioneer square/pike/shopping district/capital hill/waterfront.
These are popular places, well lit, sundown is very late, and there is a very active night life because of the downtown residences.
The sunrise & sunset from the ferries are spectacular. Minimally see the sunset from northend of Pike Market (Victor Steinbrueck Park)
Get an Orca Card by mail (S&H $5) or when you get to LINK International District Station (the main office is street level 2 blocks west)
http://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/transpo ... -orca.aspx. Youth fare (<18). Senior fare (>65)
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
ShortInSeattle

Post by ShortInSeattle »

If you're a book person, check out the Central Library, Elliott Bay Books, and/or The Seattle Mystery Bookshop.

If you like coffee, Fonte and Stumptown are better than Starbucks. Storyville Coffee (inside Pike Place, upstairs) has nice ambiance. Moore Coffee does impressive latte art.

If you visit Pike Place Market, I recommend the Crumpet Shop (they close at 3pm), a BBQ pork stick from Mee Sum bakery, and Beechers Cheese. Borracho has a good happy hour with tacos. Lots of good food options.

Belltown and Pioneer Square are the closest neighborhoods to downtown and the ferry. Capitol Hill is fun and just one stop away from downtown on the Link Light Rail.

If you want to do something touristy, Savor Seattle food tours do a nice job. I'd skip the popular (but dull) underground tour. Downtown is very walkable, and not much fun with a car. You can take the Link Light Rail directly downtown from the airport for a few bucks. Westlake is the central downtown stop.

Homewood Suites on (Elliott?) may have good rates, if you don't mind a short walk to the city center.

Enjoy!

SIS
TBillT

Post by TBillT »

We did similar stay last year.
We used the Hampton Inn at Seattle airport. Hampton Inn and Suites Seattle-Airport/28th Ave
It was good: close to the public transit to Seattle.
We did the obligatory Space Needle had great gormet brunch up there.
We also did the fish market and the other tall building you can go up...forget name of it.
We did Bill Gates foundation display.
Would have loved to do Boeing tour but not enough time.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

Museum of flight. Many retired airliners including the Concorde and Space Shuttle mockup which you can actually walk into.
UNION STATION, International district (ID) LINK station/King Street Station(amtrak)/bus and streetcar hub.
West along Jackson St (exiting LINK,) is China town, across the street is the Pioneer District where there is the Klondick NP, UPS Waterfall Park (founding site), Underground, BigBertha (tax dollars at work) display, interesting restaurants and shops, DUK tours.
Walking west on Jackson towards the waterfront are spec coffees, chocolate, meat, oyster bars (raw shooter oysters in summer, is not recommended by me). About 5 blocks from the LINK ID they will run into the stadiums and waterfront.
North on boardwalk is BigBertha entrance , then the ferries max 10 min walk from LINK.
On the boardwalk are ferries, chowder and salmon sand restaurants (recommended), sailing yacht (+), Great Eye, Aquarium(seals, otters, sharks), Cross street to drive walk up or elevator Pike Place. Starbucks #1 is here and originally famous for tea.
From Pike Place north is Seattle downtown Shopping Center (Nordsrom #1) (Westlake LINK, streetcar to SouthLake Union-MoHai)(Westlake because it is west of Lake Washington, and has no relation to Lake Union). Pass the shopping is Seattle Center, MoPoP, Chihuly, SpaceNeedle. Pass the SC is AMZN, then SouthLakeUnion.
From SLU west along WestLakeAve will be where Annie sees Sam and Jonah from across the street.
Crossing over Fremont Bridge to Fremont you can shake hands with Lenin and say hello to the Troll.
At SLU, MoHai you can take a boat tour(+) or float plane(+)
Distance: From LINK ID to SLU (S>N), on a slow steady walk is about 1.5 hours. W>E, from Boardwalk at Marriott to Lake Wasington is about 2 hours, big hill up and down.
Last edited by itstoomuch on Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

We really enjoyed the Klondike Museum. Great history of the Klondike gold rush and the link to Seattle.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 »

Museum of Pop Culture (aka Rock-n-Roll Museum)
Ride the Ducks
Take one of the City Tours <- we always do this our first day to get to know a new city
LeeInTN

Post by LeeInTN »

Good recommendations so far.
1) +1 on considering the trip out to Rainier. It is awesome.
2) Skip Pike Place Market is either person is claustrophobic or sensitive to odors. The place is jam-packed with bodies.
Geneyus

Post by Geneyus »

Small Law Survivor wrote:Genysus -
StayPinapple was one of the only affordable hotels we found downtown, and it has great service.
Looks like there are two StayPinapple hotels downtown - did you stay at the Maxwell Hotel or the Hotel FIVE?
Hotel FIVE.
FB01 wrote: Which of the The Argosy tour you took? 1 hour or 2.5 hour..I am planning to go with kids so wanted to check which one would be better for them.
Thanks
There were several tours. I believe there were two that went through the Ballard locks... one that ended there (near Gas Works Park, I think) and one that turned around and came back to the Great Wheel area. We did the one that stayed in that area, we had lunch at the first restaurant we saw, walked around, and took an Uber back to the hotel. I think the Uber was around $7-8.
guardianangel wrote: I personally like the "Underground Tour" which is near downtown. It is a historical walking tour about Seattle's history that is also humorous and entertaining... Downtown Seattle gets dicey in the evenings when a substantial homeless population emerges to panhandle so I would not plan to do any walking around in the evenings. During the day will be fine and you can do much on foot if you do not mind climbing some hills.
We almost did the underground tour. It sounded cool and had good reviews. We saw homeless people around, but they didn't bother us at all. In the Memphis area, they can be pretty aggressive. In Seattle, I saw a guy with his own fishing pole and a little sign that said "fishing for cash", or something like that. Another homeless guy smiled and waved as us. We actually commented on how friendly the homeless people were.