American Airlines double charged me!

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
eagleeyes

American Airlines double charged me!

Post by eagleeyes »

Wife and I are traveling internationally with lap infant. Tix cost 670 per person paid in advance. When my wife called to tell AA we have a lap infant they said sure no problem, it'll be 20 dollars for the lap infant. No additional charges.

Once we got Here wife was checking her CC account. They charged us 710/person again on top of the 1340. So all together we paid 1340 + 1420. When she called to complain they said fine. It will take up to 2 billing cycles to get the credit. That's pretty crappy. I have to pay chase and wait and hope that AA will be true to their word. Forgive me for being doubtful

Any options I might have? Thoughts? Suggestions?
Watty

Re: American Airlines double charged me!

Post by Watty »

Dispute the second charge with the credit card company.
Liberty1100

Post by Liberty1100 »

Watty wrote:Dispute the second charge with the credit card company.
Usually, the credit card will credit back the money almost immediately as they discuss and follow up on the charge with AA.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

eagleeyes wrote:Wife and I are traveling internationally with lap infant. Tix cost 670 per person paid in advance. When my wife called to tell AA we have a lap infant they said sure no problem, it'll be 20 dollars for the lap infant. No additional charges.
The $20 fee sounds wrong. No personal experience, but from what I have read, lap children pay 10% of the adult fare on most international flights.

And if this story is right, it's not necessarily the adult fare of the traveling adult.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-mon ... story.html

Did you receive a receipt for the lap child charge? If not, call them and ask them for a breakdown of the fare.
logos

Post by logos »

Agree with the plan to dispute it on your credit card. I did this for a phone change from AA (that they agreed not to charge because there was no other way to book the particular ticket) with citi after hearing nothing from AA website "contact us" and citi took it off the bill and it never re-appeared, not another word about it. I suspect that either AA does not bother fighting these or they are such a frequent offender that the credit card companies are biased towards finding against them.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Watty wrote:Dispute the second charge with the credit card company.
This should also get the total disputed amount off the total to be paid now.
If and only if you "lose" the dispute will that amount be put back into the total that you owe.

Make sure that you specify that the amount should be removed from the "total due", in case some new rep doesn't realize that (and in case the software doesn't do it automatically).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
tinscale

Post by tinscale »

Personally, I wouldn't dispute a charge that the other party has already agreed to reverse.
Topic Author
eagleeyes

Post by eagleeyes »

Chase said since I have already the started the process wit AA let it play out. If American doesn't come thru we can dispute later. I am not excited about paying an incorrect bill and hoping it gets credited back. We will see. I'll give it a week. Then we will dispute away
momvesting

Post by momvesting »

Any chance the fares you are quoting are one way? A lot of airlines are charging that way now. The two charges might be the round trip cost, one charge per person, one with the infant and one without.