Could Credit Karma (app) be blocking my free annual credit report?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
Topic Author
YoungBoglehead
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:25 am

Could Credit Karma (app) be blocking my free annual credit report?

Post by YoungBoglehead »

Hey All

I'm trying to pull my free annual credit report from https://www.annualcreditreport.com, I've done it multiple times in past years, and this time I had some issues. At the very end after I filled out the info, it said "sorry, we were unable to pull your credit report online, please write us a letter at xxx".

That's never happened before, the only real thing that's different is that I downloaded and signed up for that Credit Karma app (do not recommend) and I've had people tell me that when you enroll, it signs you up for this credit protection service that blocks requests. I heard that when I was applying for a refinance loan. So, possibly that app is stopping me from getting it?

The only issue I have is if I delete my account, they can't sign me up again for 6 months so I want to know before I uninstall. Any idea whats up?


Thank you
Started investing around 21, joined Bogleheads at 23.
runner3081
Posts: 3821
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Could Credit Karma (app) be blocking my free annual credit report?

Post by runner3081 »

Were you trying to pull the TransUnion report via the AnnualCreditReport site?

We space them out quarterly and when I was pulling them earlier this week, it took multiple tries to get it to go through for my wife and I using TransUnion. It eventually did, however.
User avatar
dollar_elbow
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Could Credit Karma (app) be blocking my free annual credit report?

Post by dollar_elbow »

I've used Credit Karma for several years without issue. It soft pulls TransUnion and Equifax reports weekly and it doesn't sign you up for any services unless you request it to.

Credit freezes interfere with credit pulls and annualcreditreport.com sometimes.
Topic Author
YoungBoglehead
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:25 am

Re: Could Credit Karma (app) be blocking my free annual credit report?

Post by YoungBoglehead »

runner3081 wrote:Were you trying to pull the TransUnion report via the AnnualCreditReport site?

We space them out quarterly and when I was pulling them earlier this week, it took multiple tries to get it to go through for my wife and I using TransUnion. It eventually did, however.

If I remember right, I was just trying to pull all 3 to do my normal checkup. Maybe I should just try again?
Started investing around 21, joined Bogleheads at 23.
Topic Author
YoungBoglehead
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:25 am

Re: Could Credit Karma (app) be blocking my free annual credit report?

Post by YoungBoglehead »

dollar_elbow wrote:I've used Credit Karma for several years without issue. It soft pulls TransUnion and Equifax reports weekly and it doesn't sign you up for any services unless you request it to.

Credit freezes interfere with credit pulls and annualcreditreport.com sometimes.

I don't remember signing up for any unique service, just the standard app registration, maybe I need to check.



Off topic, but I'm really disappointed in that app. I was excited to see my score, and I went in to refinance a loan only to discover the score the credit union gave me was 64 points off. That's no small difference.
Started investing around 21, joined Bogleheads at 23.
niceguy7376
Posts: 2828
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:59 pm
Location: Metro ATL

Re: Could Credit Karma (app) be blocking my free annual credit report?

Post by niceguy7376 »

YoungBoglehead wrote:Off topic, but I'm really disappointed in that app. I was excited to see my score, and I went in to refinance a loan only to discover the score the credit union gave me was 64 points off. That's no small difference.
were the credit karma score and the credit union score from same agency? within the 3 companies, their range of scores are very different.
bayview
Posts: 2293
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:05 pm
Location: WNC

Re: Could Credit Karma (app) be blocking my free annual credit report?

Post by bayview »

YoungBoglehead wrote:
dollar_elbow wrote:I've used Credit Karma for several years without issue. It soft pulls TransUnion and Equifax reports weekly and it doesn't sign you up for any services unless you request it to.

Credit freezes interfere with credit pulls and annualcreditreport.com sometimes.
I don't remember signing up for any unique service, just the standard app registration, maybe I need to check.

Off topic, but I'm really disappointed in that app. I was excited to see my score, and I went in to refinance a loan only to discover the score the credit union gave me was 64 points off. That's no small difference.
Different score algorithms. Credit Karma created an algorithm that is unrelated to (for instance) FICOs.

These so-called "educational" credit scores are often known as "FAKOs."
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
runner3081
Posts: 3821
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Could Credit Karma (app) be blocking my free annual credit report?

Post by runner3081 »

YoungBoglehead wrote:
runner3081 wrote:Were you trying to pull the TransUnion report via the AnnualCreditReport site?

We space them out quarterly and when I was pulling them earlier this week, it took multiple tries to get it to go through for my wife and I using TransUnion. It eventually did, however.

If I remember right, I was just trying to pull all 3 to do my normal checkup. Maybe I should just try again?
Yes, give it another shot.
pangea33
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:57 am

Re: Could Credit Karma (app) be blocking my free annual credit report?

Post by pangea33 »

bayview wrote:Different score algorithms. Credit Karma created an algorithm that is unrelated to (for instance) FICOs.

These so-called "educational" credit scores are often known as "FAKOs."
Doesn't really indicate which side of accurate these "FAKOs" are on. I started using credit karma when trying to improve the score in order to buy a house. The CK score was consistently about 30pts lower than the hard pulls on my credit.

Not sure if it's the same for everyone, but I'd rather them error on the low side than to give me false optimism.
FactualFran
Posts: 1196
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:29 pm

Re: Could Credit Karma (app) be blocking my free annual credit report?

Post by FactualFran »

YoungBoglehead wrote: I'm trying to pull my free annual credit report from https://www.annualcreditreport.com, I've done it multiple times in past years, and this time I had some issues. At the very end after I filled out the info, it said "sorry, we were unable to pull your credit report online, please write us a letter at xxx".
I got a similar reply a few months ago. I have never used Credit Karma. I have successfully used annualcreditreport.com for years. What happened a few months ago has been the only problem I have had with it. Recently I was able to get a credit report from it.

I suspect that the problem was caused by a browser extension that I used.
User avatar
grabiner
Advisory Board
Posts: 28730
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:58 pm
Location: Columbia, MD

Re: Could Credit Karma (app) be blocking my free annual credit report?

Post by grabiner »

pangea33 wrote:
bayview wrote:Different score algorithms. Credit Karma created an algorithm that is unrelated to (for instance) FICOs.

These so-called "educational" credit scores are often known as "FAKOs."
Doesn't really indicate which side of accurate these "FAKOs" are on. I started using credit karma when trying to improve the score in order to buy a house. The CK score was consistently about 30pts lower than the hard pulls on my credit.
The numerical value of a score is not what is relevant; what is relevant is how your score relates to the scores of other borrowers. If you are in the top 20% in any scoring model, you have excellent credit according to that model.

Even different versions of FICO are not comparable. My current FICO NextGen 2 score is 877, a score which isn't even possible on most versions of FICO which are 300-850. But the lender who provided me with the 877 also says that 830-950 is the top category, confirming that 877 is an excellent score on this model.

Credit Karma currently gives a VantageScore 3.0, which is a real score used by some lenders. Fannie Mae rules require mortgages to use a particular version of FICO, as there is a minimum FICO score for it to buy a loan. But lenders are free to use another FICO (as mine does), or another scoring model, for their own evaluations.
Wiki David Grabiner
User avatar
1210sda
Posts: 1787
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:31 am

Re: Could Credit Karma (app) be blocking my free annual credit report?

Post by 1210sda »

dollar_elbow wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:47 pm I've used Credit Karma for several years without issue. It soft pulls TransUnion and Equifax reports weekly and it doesn't sign you up for any services unless you request it to.

Credit freezes interfere with credit pulls and annualcreditreport.com sometimes.
(Re: bold and underlined) Does that mean that I won't need to get my free annual reports from TransUnion and Equifax anymore.

Seems that weekly is better than once a year. Sort of provides my own credit monitoring.

Would be nice if that's the case.

1210
Ndop
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:13 am

Re: Could Credit Karma (app) be blocking my free annual credit report?

Post by Ndop »

I wasn't able to get my experian report from annualcreditreport.com. Same response saying to write a letter or something like that. But I was able to get the report by filing a fraud alert at experian's website.
User avatar
dollar_elbow
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Could Credit Karma (app) be blocking my free annual credit report?

Post by dollar_elbow »

1210sda wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:08 pm
dollar_elbow wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:47 pm I've used Credit Karma for several years without issue. It soft pulls TransUnion and Equifax reports weekly and it doesn't sign you up for any services unless you request it to.

Credit freezes interfere with credit pulls and annualcreditreport.com sometimes.
(Re: bold and underlined) Does that mean that I won't need to get my free annual reports from TransUnion and Equifax anymore.

Seems that weekly is better than once a year. Sort of provides my own credit monitoring.

Would be nice if that's the case.

1210
Yes, Credit Karma provides free credit monitoring. It will notify you of any changes to your report, such as a new hard inquiry or the addition of a credit card. Your data and credit score are updated weekly, but you will be notified about hard pulls etc in real time. The only real difference is that if you get a report from Transunion or Equifax directly, it contains slightly more detail, for example soft inquiries. Credit Karma shows you only hard inquires and accounts (but that is what most people really care about). For all practical purposes Credit Karma completely replaces the need to go through annualcreditreports.com in my opinion.
Post Reply