What insurance company has the best coverage for auto, renters, and umbrella?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
INTRESIS

What insurance company has the best coverage for auto, renters, and umbrella?

Post by INTRESIS » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:54 pm

I have been with my current insurance company for over a decade. They happen to also be my employer. I found out that they illegally terminated my friend who had cancer due to disability discrimination, so I cannot trust this company any further. I'm looking for a new insurance company for auto, renters, and umbrella insurance. I want broad, comprehensive coverage, good website, preferably low cost.

FIREchief

Re: What insurance company has the best coverage for auto, renters, and umbrella?

Post by FIREchief » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:43 pm

INTRESIS wrote:I have been with my current insurance company for over a decade. They happen to also be my employer. I found out that they illegally terminated my friend who had cancer due to disability discrimination, so I cannot trust this company any further. I'm looking for a new insurance company for auto, renters, and umbrella insurance. I want broad, comprehensive coverage, good website, preferably low cost.
Sorry to hear about your friend. Unfortunately, Megacorp can (and must) play by the rules. If they are unable to make reasonable accommodation for any disabling condition, they can legally terminate the employee after Federal FMLA is exhausted (I believe it is 12 weeks). If they don't terminate the first case, the next case will sue them due to the inconsistent application of the rules. Or, at least this is what the lawyers will claim. If the lawyer screws this up, they'll be the one being terminated. Did I mention how much I miss Megacorp? :annoyed
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

DL1111

Re: What insurance company has the best coverage for auto, renters, and umbrella?

Post by DL1111 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:47 pm

Not all insurance policies are the same, each has their own bells and whistles but the meat of them doesn't vary much. Just look for a good price and one with good consumer reviews. Although hardly anyone reviews their insurance company unless they are mad about something.

Erie (website sucks)
Travelers
Hartford
Safeco
Progressive
Just a few names to throw out there, but there are a ton of other good companies that are more regional. I wouldn't carry my insurance with my employer just for the simple fact that come claims time the company is going to try and look as impartial as possible.

Malinois000

Post by Malinois000 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:28 pm

State Farm is great!!!!

Palatineman

Post by Palatineman » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:01 pm

I don't know which one is best, but I have been with State Farm for auto, homeowners and renters for the past 6 years. I just added a 2 mil umbrella policy that was fairly priced (375/year).

Auto rates have had slight increases over the years and no sudden jumps.

Homeowners and renter's went up about 10-20 percent since inception. When I inquired why they indicated that this has more to do with the cost of replacement increasing over the year's.

I have shopped around for insurance late last year and every quote I got back from the net has been 20 percent higher than what I currently have - including Amica who keeps sending me mail to switch on a frequent basis.

I can't comment on the claim payouts as I have not had any. The local State Farm broker I have been with is very responsive with any service so far in terms of issuing the policy and advising on what to get.

jbranx

Post by jbranx » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:46 pm

I've been with Amica for ten years for homes, auto, and umbrella. They consistently rank at the top of the JD Power surveys, For me their customer service has always been excellent, right up there with American Express and Fidelity. They cap their umbrellas at $5M, but will go outside for you for a competitive quote for a higher amount. 25% discount for doing homes and auto. Website is good; autopay works good. Pretty sure they have rental insurance.

Always hear good reports on State Farm as well. Lived next door for years with a SF agent and wife, and they clearly are in business to serve customers. You might also check Consumer Reports, which I think also ranks Amica highly. USAA is also highly ranked if you can qualify or get in on one of their policyholder referrals that they do or used to do. Buffet has always said his most admired insurer beyond Geico is SF.

ucla-engineer

Post by ucla-engineer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:50 pm

USAA if you can qualify.

navyitaly

Post by navyitaly » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:52 pm

USAA x2

KT785

Post by KT785 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:55 pm

Another happy State Farm customer here. I have auto, homeowners, umbrella, and a personal article policy on my wife's wedding ring set (also had renters with them before we bought our house). I've not had any claims on the house (knock wood) but have had several auto claims that were handled very quickly and more than fairly.

I also moved our primary checking account to State Farm a little over a year ago (when I decided to dump Chase) since the benefits were better than Ally and Schwab which I'd also considered; I also subsequently refinanced our house with State Farm and got an incredible rate on a 30 year fixed with minimal closing costs.

chinto

Post by chinto » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:08 am

In the end, the thing that matters is do they pay their claims in a fair an equitable manner.

With auto policies you need to read them carefully so you are comping apples to apples. For instance my USAA auto policy (if I had comprehensive) will repair/replace if specifically directed with OEM parts verses Geico(among others) that force you to take aftermarket. If you buy and hold you vehicles like I do, that can be a huge difference. The point is, there may be more in your policy than you initially realize.

Also how claims are handled, simply matters. Historically Farmer's Insurance has been very policy holder friendly in terms of claims settlement on Homeowner policies. This is especially true in the valuation of personal property in a loss (think of burglar or fire). When I was a claims adjuster I went to arbitration several time against AllState in co-insurance claims. I would never, ever have insurance with Allstate based on my experience in watching how they treat their insureds.

INTRESIS

Post by INTRESIS » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:15 am

Leaning towards State Farm.

jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:19 am

Another +1 for Amica. I've had a total loss event with a car with them and can share how fair and reasonable they were in reaching a quick payment. I definitely promote them consistently. Their rates have steadily risen on me the last few years but I think most carriers have.

Carls

Post by Carls » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:38 am

As for the suggestion to go with State Farm, please note that this insurance company does local francise-type offerings. One office can be terrif; another awful. What happens is strictly up to the local folks. If you can establish a relationship and if they are responsible folks without a lot of turnover ... (really check this!), then State Farm might be OK. But it really depends on which local office you use.

KSAL889813

Post by KSAL889813 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:40 pm

If you are in NJ or PA than New Jersey Manufacturer's.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:42 pm

ucla-engineer wrote:USAA if you can qualify.
I agree.

OP,

You'll need military affiliation to get access to USAA insurance.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:47 pm

I recommend Safeco. They were significantly less than the others that I comparison-shopped in March for my home, auto, and umbrella. My two million umbrella is only $275/year (two adult drivers only). I haven't made any claims yet, hopefully never have to.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:55 pm

I have been with State Farm since I started driving at 16 because my parents used them. At age 40 now I'm still with them for home and auto. Never felt the need to leave although I've been tempted to shop around to see how my premiums stack up.

wander

Post by wander » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:07 am

After switching between insurance companies, GEICO gave me better deal on auto insurance.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:40 am

This. Coverage and price are certainly also considerations but the most important thing IMO is how the company performs when you need them. USAA really shines on this aspect in my experience. Granted, researching this sort of stuff to comparison shop is a lot more difficult and less straightforward than coverage & pricing.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:52 am

I use GEICO for exactly these three types of insurance. No complaints other than the steady increase in premiums over the years, but their website is pretty nice and easy to use. I haven't had to file a claim yet, so I don't know how they will perform there.

jezo

Post by jezo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:57 am

I go thru Costco and am very happy with them

dbr

Post by dbr » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:01 am

I hope the results are a list of companies that are all perfectly good rather than an attempt to identify the best company.

Are there any in this list someone would suggest must be avoided? Is the current employer in the list of recommended companies?

High Income Parent

Post by High Income Parent » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:04 am

I've been with Allstate for the last 4 years but I imagine it will be region specific. You could try a broker that has access to several companies and see what they can do for you.
Children are not a distraction from more important work. They are the most important work. | | C. S. Lewis

INTRESIS

Post by INTRESIS » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:39 am

dbr wrote:I hope the results are a list of companies that are all perfectly good rather than an attempt to identify the best company.

Are there any in this list someone would suggest must be avoided? Is the current employer in the list of recommended companies?
The current employer/insurer has not been mentioned in this thread.

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:18 pm

Our house burned down nearly 10 years ago now. I needed to use a public adjustor to deal with the insurance company and get a fair settlement.

I asked the public adjustor what insurance he had and he said "State Farm". Now this is a guy who professionally deals with insurance companies every day of his life and yet is not employed by any of them.

I would look up public adjustors in your area and ask that same question...

DL1111

Post by DL1111 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:29 pm

How is the State Farm technology and website? Never used them but I've always heard horror stories from their agents?

AlwaysBeClimbing

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:47 pm

This site helped me with my decision, a few years back. I'm still with Amica. YMMV

http://www.badfaithinsurance.org/indexdetaillist.html

MtnTraveler

Post by MtnTraveler » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:59 pm

Interesting to see so many people recommending State Farm. A devastating wildfire came through a few years ago and I know very few people who didn't have issues with State Farm. There stories really sounded awful and their claims were totally legit. On the other hand I know a few people who made claims to State Farm because of the fire and they had no issues with their claims even though their claims sounded completely bogus. YMMV. I've got Allstate and felt they were actually really generous in what they paid out. Sadly my rate has been going up exponentially since the fire but next to no companies will write new policies in my area now so I'm stuck.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Elsebet wrote:I have been with State Farm since I started driving at 16 because my parents used them. At age 40 now I'm still with them for home and auto. Never felt the need to leave although I've been tempted to shop around to see how my premiums stack up.
I recommend shopping around every now and then. It can give you some peace of mind to know your insurer is charging you reasonable rates for your insurance coverage instead of charging you extra for being a long-term customer.

ucla-engineer

Post by ucla-engineer » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:51 pm

flamesabers wrote:
I agree.

OP,

You'll need military affiliation to get access to USAA insurance.
Or a parent/grandparent with military service.

523HRR

Post by 523HRR » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:20 pm

Electric Insurance. Solid company. Generally very competitive.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:45 pm

Another Amica vote. They and USAA always top the customer satisfaction ratings.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:54 pm

I'm a new Amica customer. As others have said, they are highly rated on JD Power. Good website, great customer service, nice autopay setup. Plus, they are a mutual, so they are owned by the policy holders. This is as close as I could get to a Vanguard-like insurance company.

ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:30 pm

Consumer Reports rated homeowners insurance companies in Its August 2017 issue. Amica came out on top. USAA was 2nd.

tj

Post by tj » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:22 pm

It's going to vary by each state.

I use USAA. Nobody comes close to their rates.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:28 pm

My MIL had a hail-damage claim. Homeowners is through USAA, and they have treated her very fairly and quickly issued a payout check. Her car is through State Farm and they have been difficult---lowballing the repair costs and disagreeing with the conclusions of several car body people. I wouldn't recommend State Farm based solely on that experience.

We have used USAA in the past for our car, and they've always been easy to deal with, but we've never personally had a claim. The one downside to USAA is that they wouldn't issue a one-year auto insurance policy, instead only issuing 6-month term ones. I prefer a one-year policy, which Amica offers, and so we now use them for car, renters, and umbrella. No complaints with them, but, again, we've never made a claim against that insurance policy either.