Must enroll in employer health insurance?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Nyc10036

Must enroll in employer health insurance?

Post by Nyc10036 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:29 pm

I am currently purchasing health insurance through the Exchange.

I will be starting work on Monday at a job that offers health insurance after 90 days.

Am I required to enroll ?

I am currently with Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of NJ.

Globalviewer58

Re: Must enroll in employer health insurance?

Post by Globalviewer58 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:36 pm

You are likely not required to enroll but you are likely better off financially because you will not be eligible for premium subsidy from the government but will pay only a share of the premium with your employer picking up the majority of the cost.

Here's a brief section from www.healthcare.gov website: Canceling a Marketplace plan when you get a job-based insurance offer

If you have a Marketplace plan and then get an offer of health insurance through a job, you’re probably no longer eligible for any savings on your Marketplace plan. This is true even if you don’t accept the job-based coverage offer.

You may want to cancel your Marketplace plan for yourself and anyone else in your household eligible for the new job-based coverage.

Learn how to end a Marketplace plan when you get a job-based plan.

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:39 pm

This new job is so low-pay that even if I work a full year I would eligible for subsidy based on income

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:54 pm

Nyc10036 wrote:This new job is so low-pay that even if I work a full year I would eligible for subsidy based on income

If the plan offered by your employer meets the standards set for affordability and coverage (which it probably does as they are low and the employer would be fined if it didn't) you won't be eligible for subsidies regardless of your income or the cost of the insurance.

https://www.healthcare.gov/have-job-bas ... lace-plan/

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Thank you for that into!