Fidelity web snafu

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
TheGreyingDuke

Fidelity web snafu

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:19 am

A recent thread (mostly) lambasted Vanguard's website, with which I have rarely had problems.

Today, trying to log into Fidelity's site I get a password error message telling me that if I use a password manager (I use LastPass) I need to manually enter my password and username. That is a 30 character password and after several tries, I bail.

I think I will give them a call.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

ryman554

Re: Fidelity web snafu

Post by ryman554 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:37 am

Untrue. Just did it right now.

I use KeePass/KeeFox with no problems.

It's also what keeps me from using passwords on mobile. Pain.

Worst case (like I have to do with various sites which don't have the ability to test things pasted in)
1. Paste your stuff, then hit space and then backspace. Pasted contents are recognized.
2. cntl-C/cntl-V and then perhaps #1.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:52 am

I use Fido website with LastPass. I found you have to click "OK" before Fido's website partially replaces your username with a string of "****". Sometimes the timing is off and it doesn't work. Return to the login page and try your timing again.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | Endurance athletes are the Bogleheads of sports. | "I like people, I just don't want to be around them." - Russell Gordy

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:03 am

I went with changing the password, it was due anyway, and that got me logged in with no further input.

BTW, the service I received was exemplary, I was wanting to transfer the account of an older relative from managed (1%, 21 different assets in an IRA of less that $500k) to the do it yourself side of things. I wanted to be sure that all the settings (checking, withholding, distributions) were carried over. They said they could do it, suggested that I liquidate while in the managed account to avoid some transactions costs, ad tell me it will all be there in 3 days.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells