Any BHs Had Experience With the Honda Fit?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Small Law Survivor

Any BHs Had Experience With the Honda Fit?

Postby Small Law Survivor » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:10 pm

Back in March I posted that I was planning to get my college grad daughter a car after graduation.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=212481

I got a lot of good comments, including this from ValueThinker:

Certain cars are just too small/ nippy. Fiat 500. Honda Jazz/ Fit. Swatch.

Young women might like them for the appeal and easy parking, etc. but North American cars are big, even in Manhattan I saw lots of SUVs-- an SUV hits you and you will be toast.

Well, wouldn't you know it - the Honda Fit is at the top of her list.

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with this car? I know it's small, but I'm not sure how much of a safety factor that really is, or how to evaluate this.

Has anyone on the board had any experience with this car and be interested in describing their experience with it, including issues with its size/safety?

arsenalfan

Re: Any BHs Had Experience With the Honda Fit?

Postby arsenalfan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:15 pm

I test drove it when looking for our 3rd car, 98% of the time used as a commuter car for 16 miles round trip M-F.
For highway driving it was just too loud. Revved at 4000-5000 rpm, and you heard every one of its horses.
For almost the same price went with a GTI.

jebmke

Postby jebmke » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:22 pm

My wife had a Honda Jazz (same car as Fit) when we lived in Brussels. Great city car, parks anywhere and surprisingly spacious inside. I felt very uncomfortable driving it on the ring road with larger vehicles whizzing by. We never took it on trips. She loved that little car but all her driving was in the city. Every time we pass a Fit now she shakes her head and says "I can't believe I drove in one of those little cars. They look so tiny in this country."
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

sambb

Postby sambb » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:32 pm

safety scores for cars dont consider that you can be hit by an SUV which weighs much more. I would not get a fit. But, it comes down to risk tolerance.

stoptothink

Postby stoptothink » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:34 pm

arsenalfan wrote:I test drove it when looking for our 3rd car, 98% of the time used as a commuter car for 16 miles round trip M-F.
For highway driving it was just too loud. Revved at 4000-5000 rpm, and you heard every one of its horses.
For almost the same price went with a GTI.

We also test drove it earlier this year and had similar sentiments. It's a fun little car, surprisingly spacious, and likely very reliable, but it is loud and IMO quite a bit overpriced (at least around here). We were able to get a jetta, which we liked more (considerably more power from the new 1.4t, similar real world MPG, seemed liked more standard features in the base model, and a lot more spacious) for ~$6k cheaper. Never owned a VW and am very partial to Hondas, but $6k will buy us a lot of maintenance if our concerns about the jetta's reliability come to fruition.

string3599

Postby string3599 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:16 pm

We bought a 2009 Fit Sport 8 years ago. It now has a little over 60,000 miles on it. My wife drove it for the first 5 years, I have driven it for the last 3.

Pros:
- Has been very cheap to maintain. Besides recalls and a new battery, everything else has just been scheduled maintenance.
- Very reliable.
- Fun to drive on curvy 2 lane roads.
- Pretty good stereo considering the class of car.
- Lots of space. I am 6' 2" and have plenty of room. Also a lot of storage space with the seats folded down.
- Still rock solid after 8 years, no rattles or weird noises.

Cons:
- It is hilariously loud at highway speeds.
- It's a pretty stiff ride, can feel every bump.
- The previous 2 items make it exhausting to take on a long road trip.
- Only get 30mpg, kind of low for a small car.
- Very slow acceleration, especially on an uphill entrance ramp.
- Small so safety is a concern.

Given that the car is paid off and the trade in value low, I will probably drive it until it dies, which may be awhile. My commute is short and I don't have to get on the highway so it makes the car bearable. If you are looking at a 2015 later model, I believe all of the cons I listed were improved upon, although it is still a small car.

ACM4297

Postby ACM4297 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:22 pm

Deleted
Last edited by ACM4297 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack FFR1846

Postby Jack FFR1846 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:59 pm

stoptothink wrote:We also test drove it earlier this year and had similar sentiments. It's a fun little car, surprisingly spacious, and likely very reliable, but it is loud and IMO quite a bit overpriced (at least around here). We were able to get a jetta, which we liked more (considerably more power from the new 1.4t, similar real world MPG, seemed liked more standard features in the base model, and a lot more spacious) for ~$6k cheaper. Never owned a VW and am very partial to Hondas, but $6k will buy us a lot of maintenance if our concerns about the jetta's reliability come to fruition.

I was shopping the FIT and Jetta and CR-Z. The CR-Z was the most fun with by far the absolute best shifter. Both FIT and Jetta felt pretty "blah". The Jetta was cheaper. Note that I found at least 3 dealers with yellow FITs for $13,999 and VW, with it's every other month $5k discount easily beat this with prices breaking the $12.9k mark. In the end, we bought my father in law's car and are paying some unexpected tuition payments instead.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

KyleAAA

Postby KyleAAA » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:10 pm

My wife has a 2015 Fit. The amount of interior cargo space for a car its size is nothing short of incredible. Gets excellent gas mileage and I at 6'2" don't have any trouble driving it comfortably. Small cars are quite safe these days. Perhaps not as safe as a giant SUV but you've got to draw the line somewhere. My understanding is that a Fit today would likely be significantly safer than a base model large SUV from 10 years ago. Keeping an SUV in the city would be a non-starter for me.

Not as fun to drive as my Mazda but Toyotas are much worse. Only had it a few years but absolutely no problems thus far, as I'd expect from a Honda.
Last edited by KyleAAA on Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jebmke

Postby jebmke » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:16 pm

KyleAAA wrote:My wife has a 2015 Fit. The amount of interior cargo space for a car its size is nothing short of incredible.

We were constantly amazed at this with our Jazz (Fit). "How can this be?" I used it to bring a washing machine home (admittedly, washing machines are smaller in Europe and the back seats of our Jazz popped out - don't know if they do with the Fit). But even with the seats in it was incredible. I always figured this was the quintessential "clown car."
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

tj218

Postby tj218 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:54 pm

A colleague of mine about 8 years ago, got a Fit and loved it. She died in a car accident when an SUV passed her and the driver clipped the rear panel. It was raining and spun her out off the highway into a clump of trees. She hit one head-on and died instantly. I am sure this was a freak accident that could happen to anyone, driving anything. But it has me spooked, what if her car had her mass, etc. for me now I would never let anyone I care about drive a Fit on the highway.

Sorry to be a downer.

Small Law Survivor

Postby Small Law Survivor » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:14 pm

Sorry to be a downer.

Ouch

Stupendous

Postby Stupendous » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:04 pm

I have a 2011 with 78,000 miles. I won't own another one as it didn't work out like I had planned but I'm stuck with it until I drive it into the ground.

-Cheap to maintain. Replaced 1 power door actuator myself but everything else has been scheduled maintenance
-Decent MPG
-Easy to park
-Interior space has been handy when putting seats down

Dislikes
-Paint sucks and I have a lot of chip marks on my hood from highway driving
-Revs high on the freeway
-High on road noise
-Revs high when heading up in elevation
-Not much trunk space

AlohaJoe

Postby AlohaJoe » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:45 pm

sambb wrote:safety scores for cars dont consider that you can be hit by an SUV which weighs much more.

Yes they do. I think you don't actually know anything about safety scores to make such a wildly incorrect claim.

How the test works
In the Institute's test, a 3,300-pound SUV-like barrier hits the driver side of the vehicle at 31 mph. Two SID-IIs dummies representing small (5th percentile) women or 12-year-old children are positioned in the driver seat and the rear seat behind the driver.

IIHS was the first in the United States to use this smaller dummy in a test for consumer information. It was chosen because women are more likely than men to suffer serious head injuries in real-world side impacts. Shorter drivers have a greater chance of having their heads come into contact with the front end of the striking vehicle in a left-side crash.

The Institute's side test is severe. It's unlikely that people in comparable real-world crashes would emerge uninjured.

Even under that strict test, the Honda Fit is given top marks.

JDCarpenter

Postby JDCarpenter » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:40 am

I have a 2012 Fit, base trim, with manual tranny--my first new car (at age 52).

Currently has 88,000 miles on it. Average 39-44 mpg in mixed, commuting driving. (Way more than the EPA estimates.) Haven't noticed much noise at less than 70 miles per hour, except when accelerating. Above 70 on multistate drives, it is a bit noisier, but that's what the stereo is far.... The seat configuration capability helps make it feel bigger on the inside than on the outside when hauling stuff. Back seat legroom is sufficient for my more than 6 ft son on a full day drive....

Maybe I just don't have high expectations for the tool that gets me from point a to point b, but love the car; would get it again, even though corporate clients & other attorneys (and DW's doctor peers) are surprised at what I drive. Haven't been in any accidents; the maneuverability/responsiveness has helped on a couple of occasions. Sure, basic physics means I'd lose to an H2, so I pay attention.

E.T.A.--maintenance/repairs essentially nonexistent so far. Oil every 12K (and other routine stuff per dash alert/owners manual), one new pair of wiper blades, one new set of tires... Was used to driving cars that I purchased at 100K, so this is very different.
Last edited by JDCarpenter on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edit Signature

ryman554

Postby ryman554 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:56 am

Have a 2010 fit.

Woefully underpowered and/or misgeared to the point that I would not suggest using the car as a commuter car if you have to go on the motorway. It feels like you press on the gas pedal, the car thinks about it a little bit, and then you (slowly) accelerate.

My wife loves it, since she doesn't like to go fast and stays mostly within the neighborhood.

It's a super cargo vehicle. I will echo the posters above that it is nothing short of miraculous the amount of stuff you can haul in such a small vehicle -- as long as you are transporting two passengers. It is a mainstay for IKEA runs. Even with all seats taken, We managed to fit a family of four (including two carseats), two suitcases, a BOB stroller (not small) + a couple or three of carryons in the car for an airport run. That's insane.

ruskoolie

Postby ruskoolie » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:34 am

Wife and I own a 2014 Honda Fit. Fantastic on gas (40 mpg). Spacious seating in the back and front (I am 6-4). A lot of visibility from the inside. Also cheap, think we paid 19k brand new and that includes dealer fees, taxes, etc.

The biggest issue is space once you have a family. Once you need to put a car seat in there, you basically need to sell the car because you'll need to push the front seat up so far that no one can really sit there comfortably.

Fantastic car for just commuting though. We love it.

sunny_socal

Postby sunny_socal » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:38 am

Had a 2009 Honda Fit Sport w/ stick shift. Brother is still driving it, 190K miles.

Pros
- Excellent fuel efficiency, easy to get 38 MPG even without babying it
- Plenty of power, stick shift was fun and the car handles well
- Cavernous cargo space for such a small car. Better than a Ford Escape I used to own. You can fit a bicycle in the back, no joke.
- Reliable, only needed routine maintenance. Well, new ignition coils @ 150k miles but that's really a wear item.

Cons
- Does have some road noise compared to larger vehicles. Somewhat mitigated by selecting good tires (eg. Michelin)
- A smaller vehicle compared to SUVs/Trucks. Sold mine because I wouldn't want my teens driving one.

It's an ideal vehicle if you're looking for a small car.

stoptothink

Postby stoptothink » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:44 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
stoptothink wrote:We also test drove it earlier this year and had similar sentiments. It's a fun little car, surprisingly spacious, and likely very reliable, but it is loud and IMO quite a bit overpriced (at least around here). We were able to get a jetta, which we liked more (considerably more power from the new 1.4t, similar real world MPG, seemed liked more standard features in the base model, and a lot more spacious) for ~$6k cheaper. Never owned a VW and am very partial to Hondas, but $6k will buy us a lot of maintenance if our concerns about the jetta's reliability come to fruition.

I was shopping the FIT and Jetta and CR-Z. The CR-Z was the most fun with by far the absolute best shifter. Both FIT and Jetta felt pretty "blah". The Jetta was cheaper. Note that I found at least 3 dealers with yellow FITs for $13,999 and VW, with it's every other month $5k discount easily beat this with prices breaking the $12.9k mark. In the end, we bought my father in law's car and are paying some unexpected tuition payments instead.

We were able to get our jetta for $13k OTD. We could not find anybody around here that would go below $17k, before all associated fees, on the Fit. Jetta is pretty blah as well, but it has considerably more "go" than the Fit and to us it is an appliance. Was a very easy decision.

Tamarind

Postby Tamarind » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:54 am

My parents, one of whom is an engineer in the auto industry, drive matched Fits and love them (Previously Volvos prior to the sale of the car division, then VWs). They like them especially for gas mileage and space, as well as reliability and cost of maintenance, but joke that it's a motorcycle engine under the hood.

Their crash performance is fine for the class. Mom was rear-ended and the car totalled but she was not injured. I believe the rating on the Fit is lower for side crash and that makes intuitive sense as the car is too narrow to afford much crumple from the side.

I chose not to get one due to a 35-mile round trip daily commute. I found the engine noise obnoxious on the highway and the ride pretty uncomfortable. GF suffers from motion sickness easily and was very uncomfortable in a Fit. I got a Hyundai Elantra GT instead, which sacrificed a bit of mileage and hauling space for comfort at the same price.

dbr

Postby dbr » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:09 am

There is no question whatsoever that probability of death or severe injury in auto accidents is greater on average in vehicles of less mass than in vehicles of greater mass. It is an individual choice how that might influence one's selection of a vehicle. It is also true that as vehicle design and crash protection devices in vehicles continue to evolve that all vehicles generally are safer than before. It is also true that an effective lever against death and injury in auto crashes is driving fewer miles, especially on those roads where death rates are highest.

jmk

Postby jmk » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:56 am

Pros:
-I am 5'11" and have plenty of room.
-TONS of storage space with the seats folded down. "Most in class." e.g. Ikea queens size bed. Main reason I bought it-- I call it my mini-truck.

Cons:
- Poorer build quality than Toyota Corolla IMO
-loud tire noise, especially highway
- stiff ride, can feel every bump.
-weak air conditioning
- Very slow acceleration, especially if ac on, especially if uphill.

BrandonBogle

Postby BrandonBogle » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:08 am

We have a 2011 Fit Sport that currently sports 180k miles on the odometer. Our experience matches these posts:

arsenalfan wrote:For highway driving it was just too loud. Revved at 4000-5000 rpm, and you heard every one of its horses.

jebmke wrote:Great city car, parks anywhere and surprisingly spacious inside. I felt very uncomfortable driving it on the ring road with larger vehicles whizzing by.

string3599 wrote:Pros:
<snip>

Cons:
<snip>

When taking the dog (80 lb black lab), it was perfect and it still is the daily driver for the other half around town. But when we take a road trip (sometimes even when taking the dog), we take my car because comfort is so much higher. We split driving once from NC to DC and I never wanted to repeat that trip ever again in that car. However, after selling our 4Runner, we definitely appreciate how much the Fit can hold.

JDCarpenter

Postby JDCarpenter » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:11 am

jmk wrote:Pros:
-I am 5'11" and have plenty of room.
-TONS of storage space with the seats folded down. "Most in class." e.g. Ikea queens size bed. Main reason I bought it-- I call it my mini-truck.

Cons:
- Poorer build quality than Toyota Corolla IMO [no problems that I've seen after 88K miles, but as noted above, this was my first new car.]
-loud tire noise, especially highway [subjectively, I've not noticed when under 70 mph. Above 70 or so, yes.]
- stiff ride, can feel every bump. [individual preference? I like the ride myself; then again, I chose a manual....]
-weak air conditioning [True for my 2012 at least; I picked it up in July and immediately went on a 1000 mile round trip with three adult passengers, felt like a green house. But after-market window tinting, as recommended on Fit forums did great job on alleviating this the next week.]
- Very slow acceleration, especially if ac on, especially if uphill. Not noticed with my manual.

Apologies, jmk, not intending to snipe. Your thoughts are undoubtedly valid, just wanted to juxtapose my subjective thoughts
Edit Signature

ryuns

Postby ryuns » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:57 pm

Keep in mind that the Fit had a pretty substantial redesign a couple years back, so pros/cons outlined above may apply to one and not the other. You say you're looking used, so I assume you're referring to the previous version. New one has a smaller trunk but far larger backseat, and is a lot quieter on the highway. It's got a few more moving parts (more complicated engine design, CVT, infotainment), so potential for more issues than an older Fit. But probably a more comfortable car, overall. That said, used Fits of the previous design are all other the place and have a fantastic track record. Make sure whatever you get has traction control, but otherwise, it's a pretty safe car for its size.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

WhiteMaxima

Postby WhiteMaxima » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:02 pm

Too small. Not safe during crash with more heavy vehicle.

head gamez

Postby head gamez » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:54 pm

I have a 2008 that I bought new with the sole intention of running it into the ground on my (then) 160 mile/day round trip commute. It now has 260k miles on it and other than having to replace a coil pack, adjust the valves, and both head light bulbs (at the same time), it has required nothing other than normal maintenance (and the valve adjustment is actually routine maintenance and can be done in an hour or so).

It is loud at speed.
The AC works fine for me (no window tinting either).
It gets around 33-35mpg on the highway at 65-70mph.
It is slow to accelerate.
It only cost $14k new out the door.
It has tons of room and we have routinely taken it to the beach for a week with 2 adults and 2 kids (back when my daughter was in an infant seat and required the stroller etc).
It is ugly (in my eye).
It is not fun to drive (to me).
It is not uncomfortable (to me).
It is and has been paid for, therefore it will remain a car in the fleet.

After reading internet forums, it is apparent that my purpose for a car is different than most. This one has served me well in every way I expect a car to serve me. Of course, I do own and race a 235" long, 900HP dragster, so Im not looking for fun on my way to work ether.

jharkin

Postby jharkin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Yes a small car can get by an SUV. You can also get hit by a car riding your bike or walking on the sidewalk. You might get struck by lighting crossing the pack in a rainstorm. This forum is so over the top safety paranoid many posters will tell you to commute in a Sherman tank.

The fit is larger than every car I owned until after I was married, and miraculously I lived to 41 years old without catastrophic injury. Even more miraculously I dont see news expose's of the millions of people dying in small cars on the news each night.

Its up to you. the problem of living in fear like this is it turns into an arms race. First everyone thinks they have to own an SUV. Then when everyone owns an SUV people start thinking they need to drive around in 1 ton dually pickups to be safe from the SUVs. Then when everyone is driving F350 super duty's soccer moms will start rolling up in used schoolbuses. Then the dads start rolling home from work in a Kenworth so they can see around the buses.

when does it end?

bigcmagor

Postby bigcmagor » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:14 pm

AlohaJoe wrote:
sambb wrote:safety scores for cars dont consider that you can be hit by an SUV which weighs much more.

Yes they do. I think you don't actually know anything about safety scores to make such a wildly incorrect claim.

How the test works
In the Institute's test, a 3,300-pound SUV-like barrier hits the driver side of the vehicle at 31 mph. Two SID-IIs dummies representing small (5th percentile) women or 12-year-old children are positioned in the driver seat and the rear seat behind the driver.

IIHS was the first in the United States to use this smaller dummy in a test for consumer information. It was chosen because women are more likely than men to suffer serious head injuries in real-world side impacts. Shorter drivers have a greater chance of having their heads come into contact with the front end of the striking vehicle in a left-side crash.

The Institute's side test is severe. It's unlikely that people in comparable real-world crashes would emerge uninjured.

Even under that strict test, the Honda Fit is given top marks.

My daughter ran a red light in her 2011 Fit and was hit broadside by a tow truck. Her car went airborne and nearly hit a pedestrian on the sidewalk. All of the side airbags deployed. She walked away with bruises from the seat belts. We bought her a new 2013 Fit that she still drives.

sunny_socal

Postby sunny_socal » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:16 pm

jharkin wrote:<snip>

when does it end?

I saw someone driving one of these just last weekend. The ultimate truck!

dbr

Postby dbr » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:34 pm

jharkin wrote:Yes a small car can get by an SUV. You can also get hit by a car riding your bike or walking on the sidewalk. You might get struck by lighting crossing the pack in a rainstorm. This forum is so over the top safety paranoid many posters will tell you to commute in a Sherman tank.

The fit is larger than every car I owned until after I was married, and miraculously I lived to 41 years old without catastrophic injury. Even more miraculously I dont see news expose's of the millions of people dying in small cars on the news each night.

Its up to you. the problem of living in fear like this is it turns into an arms race. First everyone thinks they have to own an SUV. Then when everyone owns an SUV people start thinking they need to drive around in 1 ton dually pickups to be safe from the SUVs. Then when everyone is driving F350 super duty's soccer moms will start rolling up in used schoolbuses. Then the dads start rolling home from work in a Kenworth so they can see around the buses.

when does it end?

Presenting information about how things work is not advocacy for absurd conclusions. Where it ends is with people making common sense informed choices.

sschoe2

Postby sschoe2 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:43 pm

I drive an 09 and have had very few problems with it. Just consumables and sensors (a transmission fluid pressure and the A/C compressor thermal protector). I have 96k miles on it and right now it is in for a new serpentine belt and idler pulley. I drive it on the Illinois Tollway (median speed 70 mph) and find it performs fine.

Downsides
A/C weak
small wheels go through tires faster about every 40k miles
Odd sized wipers I replace the rubber inserts from Honda
Less common parts like intake and cabin air filter
Spark plugs hard to replace have to take off wipers and cowling against windshield as they are at the back of the engine
Prone to denting very thin panels.

Watty

Postby Watty » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:18 pm

I have a 2010 Honda Fit and a few observations;

1) It is a small car but one thing to consider about the safety is that it is only slightly lighter than something like a Civic or Corolla so if she bought something like that there would be little weight advantage for the safety. When comparing the safety of it, compare it to what other car she might buy, not a HumVee.

2) Mine had both the driver and passenger airbag recalled which was a major hassle since the parts were in short supply, If she is looking at a used Fit find out if the airbags have been recalled and if they have BOTH been replaced.

3) Around 2014(?) the Honda Fit production was moved to Mexico and there were some quality concerns. I'm not sure how significant that actually was and some current models may now be made in Japan again but I am not sure of the details. Be sure to look into that with the specific years you are interested in to see if that year has the high reliability that the Fit is known for.

4) Mine has been very reliable (knock on wood). While under warranty I only had it in the shop once right before the main warranty ended because a piece of carpet was loose. It has over 80K miles now and the other non-routine maintenance was some brake work and a door actuator.

5) It has VERY little ground clearance. In addition to having to be careful with speedbumps I would be concerned about how it would handle if there were more than a few inches of snow on the road since it might bottom out. I don't get much snow where I live but if you live in an area that gets deep snow you should look into that.

jmg229

Postby jmg229 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:42 pm

We have a 2016 Honda Fit as a commuting car and it does a great job for what it's meant for. It is inexpensive, doesn't feel cheap, and gets awesome gas mileage. I travel a lot for work and drive approximately 100 miles each way to the airport, most of it on highways where the speed limit is 75mph. I don't notice the noise substantially more than in our Subaru. I have never felt unsafe in it, including merging up to highway speeds. It's no sports car, but the acceleration is good enough. I test drove some cars that were definitely not something I felt safe in getting up to speed on a highway, but this does fine. I do agree that the paint seems to scratch a little easily, not sure if that is a consistent concern, though. Also, as stated, the interior space is amazing; we fit 3 adults, a toddler, a 60lb dog, and gear for a dayhike with no problems. Also, it's definitely not our #1 choice for snow (see above re: our Subaru), but when both cars are needed in the Utah snow, we're fine.

I don't love this car like I love my Subaru, but it gets the job done and for the price, I would definitely recommend it.

AntsOnTheMarch

Postby AntsOnTheMarch » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:55 pm

I didn't read every comment thoroughly, so excuse me if I repeat any...

I think that your daughter will love the fit. Many of the comments like "too loud" are "old people comments." I'm old too, but I don't mind a little extra noise and the car has so much going for it that I'd buy mine again. No regrets.

Caveats
    - There was a lost motion spring recall early on which was handled expertly by the local dealer.
    - There was a Takata airbag recall but practically every car got hit by that recall so I wouldn't count it as a negative. It took a while to get the airbags but Honda offered a free rental if you didn't feel safe in the meantime. I didn't bother. I think there were 10 deaths worldwide. Better chance of hitting the lottery. But some owners opted for the rental and maybe not a bad idea because that's miles you're not putting on your own car.
    - Paint is a little on the thin side. Not the car you want if you're looking to retain as a classic 30 years from now. Otoh, it's a Honda and will probably still be running fine.
More specifics
    - My wife and I downsized to a condo and used our 2010 Honda Fit to move.
    - Getting between 37-41 mpg depending on conditions and time of year.
    - A/C acceptable. Needed a charge at year 5.
    - Also needed new battery at year 5.
    - It's our only car and we both love driving it (manual tranny on this car is sporty—if you're daughter is so inclined).

Having said all that, our car was manufactured in Japan and I heard about some problems with more recent Fits (some are manufactured in Mexico and maybe they don't have the quality control up to snuff just yet?). I also think that anyone looking for a manual tranny now is going to have a rough time finding one. One last note, if it has not already been mentioned, there is a forum. I made ample use of it before purchase.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/

Lars_2013

Postby Lars_2013 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:24 pm

My parents drive a 2013 Fit (manual). It has tons of space for a car its size, and comfortably sits five adults as long as the folks in the bag are friendly (my partner, brother, and I frequently sit in the back together). I haven't noticed too much road noise, but I'm usually driving or riding in it in the city or highly congested highways :annoyed .

I've driven it in snow and, yes, it won't do well if there's deep tracks carved by trucks/crossovers. It actually did fine on a couple inches of powdery snow. My parents usually just stay home if it snows, however (the joys of retirement :D ).

The airbag recall took forever, but while they were waiting my parents got a multi-month rental of some late-model sedan paid for by Honda. So they didn't complain.

It feels very jerky compared to our Prius C, but that might be the manual shift with not-so-talented drivers.

Almost every car my parents have owned has been totaled in various accidents with terrible drivers in their city (which is known for having bad drivers and resultant high car insurance rates). Almost all those cars have been subcompacts and nobody has ever been injured. Unless you or the other vehicle is going pretty fast, being inside a car is a very safe place to be. Being on foot or on a bicycle is another story, and I hope folks feeling invincible and driving their large vehicles will watch out for vulnerable road users.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:24 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (car).
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Crisium

Postby Crisium » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:35 am

I have a 2013 model.

The highway sound is outrageous. I rarely drive in the highway for an extended time. I did drive 21 hours in a 2 day period, however, and it got annoying fast especially as I wanted to listen to music over it. I am under 30, so this is not an "old person comment". It is very loud. Only a highway issue though.

I bought the car because it has among the best "storage capacity to overall vehicle size ratio" (if such a thing exists), and I like small cars for ease of parking. Few complaints on this front.

stemikger

Postby stemikger » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:58 am

I would go with the Honda Civic. Great car with excellent crash test scores.
Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

stoptothink

Postby stoptothink » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:15 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:I didn't read every comment thoroughly, so excuse me if I repeat any...

I think that your daughter will love the fit. Many of the comments like "too loud" are "old people comments." I'm old too, but I don't mind a little extra noise and the car has so much going for it that I'd buy mine again. No regrets.

I'm 35, wife is 30, it was annoyingly loud at highway speeds - significantly more than several of its direct competitors. The $6k cost differential between it and a jetta was by far the biggest consideration, but the noise difference certainly wasn't a plus for the fit either.

AntsOnTheMarch

Postby AntsOnTheMarch » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:25 am

stoptothink wrote:
AntsOnTheMarch wrote:I didn't read every comment thoroughly, so excuse me if I repeat any...

I'm 35, wife is 30, it was annoyingly loud at highway speeds - significantly more than several of its direct competitors. The $6k cost differential between it and a jetta was by far the biggest consideration, but the noise difference certainly wasn't a plus for the fit either.

I was half-joking about "old people"—of which I'm one. :D

There are definitely 2 camps on the Fit's noise; people like me who don't mind it and others whom it seems to drive crazy. If you go over to the fitfreak forum, you will see endless debates about this—and the paint as well. Then again, just as bogleheads can be quite particular with their investment strategies, fit freaks can be very particular about every little thing about their cars.

Back to addressing OP's questions: I don't think it's an issue either way. The noise level isn't going to change once you take it off the lot.

1. Test drive in real world conditions
2. Make up your mind

Since OP's daughter loves the car, I assume that she's ok with it.

jharkin

Postby jharkin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:59 am

sunny_socal wrote:
jharkin wrote:<snip>

when does it end?

I saw someone driving one of these just last weekend. The ultimate truck!

:sharebeer

I half expected to get into the office this morning and see my notifications lit up with a dozen people telling me I went off the deep end...

Hoi Polloi

Postby Hoi Polloi » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:19 pm

For an excellent objective discussion on the impact of weight on vehicle safety, I have found the following link to be very useful:

http://www.informedforlife.org/viewartcl.php?index=83

Based on research there and elsewhere, I ultimately chose a larger vehicle (CPO Subaru Legacy) for the younger drivers in our family. Good luck with your decision.

JupiterJones

Postby JupiterJones » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:09 pm

jharkin wrote:I half expected to get into the office this morning and see my notifications lit up with a dozen people telling me I went off the deep end...

If you did, I'm going there with you because I agree totally. :beer

The thinking that you have to buy a big, heavy car not because you actually need the room or utility of it, but only because you're afraid that you'll get hit by someone who also bought a big, heavy car is madness.

Especially when you consider that the other guy probably only bought his car for the same reason. :oops:
Stay on target...

Texanbybirth

Postby Texanbybirth » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:49 pm

I drive a 2007 Toyota Yaris. It's a fantastic little car, such a beast with 124k miles. The acceleration is really good for such a small engine, and the A/C is cold. (I wouldn't keep it in hot north TX summers otherwise.) You may be set on the Fit, but the trunk in this puppy is also of the "I can't believe there's that much space" variety. It's loud on the highway, though I think that's more because it's the base model. Two really annoying things that take some getting used to: the front cupholders are right in front of the air vents - doesn't bode well for keeping coffee or drinks warm. And the instrument panel is in the MIDDLE of the dashboard, between the driver and passenger, NOT in front of the driver. It's kinda silly, and these things don't deter me from driving it, but they are definitely quirks.

However, I have really appreciated the discussions about safety. I do fear that it's an "arms race" with larger cars, etc; but I've also got a good 16 mile one-way commute on the highway with diesels everywhere. It has been a nag in the back of my mind about whether we should upgrade my car (cash only please) to something safer. We put my wife and kids in a brand new Honda Odyssey for the same reason (and we needed the space), and she only drives 5k miles per year. The links to IIHS and NHTSA have been especially helpful. :beer (though not while driving)

stemikger

Postby stemikger » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:45 pm

Texanbybirth wrote:I drive a 2007 Toyota Yaris. It's a fantastic little car, such a beast with 124k miles. The acceleration is really good for such a small engine, and the A/C is cold. (I wouldn't keep it in hot north TX summers otherwise.) You may be set on the Fit, but the trunk in this puppy is also of the "I can't believe there's that much space" variety. It's loud on the highway, though I think that's more because it's the base model. Two really annoying things that take some getting used to: the front cupholders are right in front of the air vents - doesn't bode well for keeping coffee or drinks warm. And the instrument panel is in the MIDDLE of the dashboard, between the driver and passenger, NOT in front of the driver. It's kinda silly, and these things don't deter me from driving it, but they are definitely quirks.

However, I have really appreciated the discussions about safety. I do fear that it's an "arms race" with larger cars, etc; but I've also got a good 16 mile one-way commute on the highway with diesels everywhere. It has been a nag in the back of my mind about whether we should upgrade my car (cash only please) to something safer. We put my wife and kids in a brand new Honda Odyssey for the same reason (and we needed the space), and she only drives 5k miles per year. The links to IIHS and NHTSA have been especially helpful. :beer (though not while driving)

I feel this way about my Nissan Versa. This subcompact is huge inside and the trunk is bigger than many full size sedans. I do worry about getting a bigger car especially since my daughter is now sharing the car with me until she could afford her own. However, her driving is local only. My car is not that noisy on the highway like others have said and other then wear and tear the car is still going strong at 97,000 miles.

Two years ago I was in an accident with a Nissan Maxima a much larger car and I was able to drive my car home for a few blocks and the larger car had to get towed. Luckily no one was hurt.
Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

BrandonBogle

Postby BrandonBogle » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:02 am

I had a Nissan Versa rental when in Phoenix for a conference and then drove to the Grand Canyon. I did not enjoy that experience (the drive, the GC itself was great) and it reminded why I dislike the Fit on long, non-flat drives. But then, I'm biased as our Fit isn't my daily driver and ours doesn't have a CVT, so while not a sporty drive, I enjoy it more than the rental Versa.

HurdyGurdy

Postby HurdyGurdy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:22 am

170 k miles on it, we love it.
There was a valve problem with early models, it seems to have been fixed.
Not so great for winter driving.

Sometimes it has one of these :mrgreen:

Daisy Dog

Postby Daisy Dog » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:12 am

Bought a 2015 Fit in July of 2015. Has all the bells and whistles available for that model AT THAT TIME. In Oct or so they added the navigation feature. I really really like my Fit - wonderful run around car and has very good storage area. Has 21K miles on it and no problems at all mechanically. I recently bought a Subaru Outback because I was driving from FL to CO and wanted more safety features. I like both a lot.

Valuethinker

Postby Valuethinker » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:54 am

jebmke wrote:My wife had a Honda Jazz (same car as Fit) when we lived in Brussels. Great city car, parks anywhere and surprisingly spacious inside. I felt very uncomfortable driving it on the ring road with larger vehicles whizzing by. We never took it on trips. She loved that little car but all her driving was in the city. Every time we pass a Fit now she shakes her head and says "I can't believe I drove in one of those little cars. They look so tiny in this country."

And Belgium has the highest road accident death rate in Western Europe, after Portugal, I believe. Friend was driving on a roundabout, wife lost her hip when they were sidewiped.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”