Confused by USAA insurance statement

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
deskjockey

Confused by USAA insurance statement

Post by deskjockey » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:35 pm

I know USAA doesn't have the best statements around, but their insurance statements are throwing me for a loop. There doesn't seem to be a way to figure out how much I have paid on a policy year-to-date, other than going through and adding up the total remaining for each policy in every statement. Is there an easy way to do this with their statements, or should I pull out my calculator and crunch the numbers?

livesoft

Re: Confused by USAA insurance statement

Post by livesoft » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:37 pm

Doesn't your bank account tell you how much you have paid to USAA? I can search for transactions in my checking account (or credit card since I use a cash back credit card to pay USAA) for the string "USAA" and instantly get the amount I have paid to USAA for any time period.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

deskjockey

Post by deskjockey » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:56 pm

livesoft wrote:Doesn't your bank account tell you how much you have paid to USAA? I can search for transactions in my checking account (or credit card since I use a cash back credit card to pay USAA) for the string "USAA" and instantly get the amount I have paid to USAA for any time period.
It does, but my problem is that USA bundles the payments for all of my policies into one, so auto, renter's, and homeowners are all lumped together. As a result, I know how much I paid USAA altogether, but not how much I paid for a specific policy. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow to see if I can get breakdowns from them for each policy.

retire57

Post by retire57 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:42 pm

It is needlessly confusing. We have to go to each individual policy account online and look at each balance in order to keep track. I wish the website was more user-friendly. My credit card company makes it simple. Why can't USAA?

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:05 am

You won't find the info on the statements as they only provide current balances and payment options. You can get policy-to-date totals by looking at each policy and doing the math but year-to-date is going to require even more number crunching. Do you not use Mint or another similar solution? I split each USAA payment into separate categories for analysis.

deskjockey

Post by deskjockey » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:52 am

takeshi wrote:You won't find the info on the statements as they only provide current balances and payment options. You can get policy-to-date totals by looking at each policy and doing the math but year-to-date is going to require even more number crunching. Do you not use Mint or another similar solution? I split each USAA payment into separate categories for analysis.
I use Quicken, but I had previously just put it all down as "insurance" without splitting it into categories. I'm looking to be more specific now, and it's a pain, especially since the rates keep changing by small amounts every billing cycle (some in my favor, some not).