Capital One $400 bonus for new checking account

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
sunny_socal

Capital One $400 bonus for new checking account

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:00 pm

Use this link:
https://www.capitalone.com/bonus400/

Make sure to use in the indicated bonus code PLUS400

Requirements:
- Two $250 direct deposits within first 60 days
- Deadline to open is June 30, 2017

I got my $400 about a week after my two DDs went through!

By far the easiest bank bonus I've ever found. :beer

EDIT:
There is no credit pull. All my accounts are frozen, the CapOne application was approved instantly.
Last edited by sunny_socal on Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

stlutz

Re: Capital One $400 bonus for new checking account

Post by stlutz » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:13 pm

From the link:

"IF YOU DID NOT RECEIVE AN EMAIL OR MAIL PIECE DIRECTLY FROM CAPITAL ONE 360 WITH THE ABOVE CODE, YOU ARE INELIGIBLE FOR THIS BONUS OFFER."

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:13 am

So?

Worked for me just by using the link, I never got an invite.

YoungBoglehead

Post by YoungBoglehead » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:22 am

I get offers like these every once in a while.

It's tempting, but probably not worth me moving my employers direct deposit.

How else could I get a "direct deposit" there without redirecting my work check?

Is it bad for your record to open a checking account for a month or two then close it in any way?
Started investing around 21, joined Bogleheads at 23.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:23 am

I just don't get it. They keep ramping up the rewards for being an unloyal customer, while the interest rate stays stagnant.

At this point, it would not take much more of a rate increase on Ally's part to finally get me to ditch CapitalOne.

annielouise

Post by annielouise » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:26 am

YoungBoglehead wrote:I get offers like these every once in a while.

It's tempting, but probably not worth me moving my employers direct deposit.

How else could I get a "direct deposit" there without redirecting my work check?

Is it bad for your record to open a checking account for a month or two then close it in any way?

Capital One 360* Checking (which is the account with this offer) considers many account ACH deposits as "direct deposit". If you search BH, you can find the link that shows which ones. However, if your paycheck is serviced online, it is usually very easy to split the direct deposit and change it back.

Capital One 360 Checking is one of 2 national checking accounts (that I am aware of) that offer 0% foreign transaction fees when using their ATM card while traveling. A reason, perhaps, to maintain a second checking account.

*As someone who lives where the Capital One brick and mortar banks exist, I find it worthwhile to distinguish which one is being discussed, since their rules and offers are completely different.

simmias

Post by simmias » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:50 am

Unfortunately I think I'm ineligible due to having an ING Electric Orange checking account in the past.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:17 am

iamlucky13 wrote:I just don't get it. They keep ramping up the rewards for being an unloyal customer, while the interest rate stays stagnant.

At this point, it would not take much more of a rate increase on Ally's part to finally get me to ditch CapitalOne.

Their money market interest rate is 1%. There's a $200 bonus for opening their MM account.

$600 for about a half hour of "work", pretty good deal IMO. Take it or leave it...

FWIW, I've had a CapOne credit card for years. I don't plan on deleting the MM and checking accounts, they might come in handy.

marti038

Post by marti038 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:57 am

sunny_socal wrote:So?

Worked for me just by using the link, I never got an invite.

Was this true for anyone else?

runfast4

Post by runfast4 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:46 am

One of the conditions is you must live in greater Boston, MA area. sunny_socal if your name is an indication of where you reside, I am surprised it worked. It worked with you just typing in the promo code??

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:34 pm

runfast4 wrote:One of the conditions is you must live in greater Boston, MA area. sunny_socal if your name is an indication of where you reside, I am surprised it worked. It worked with you just typing in the promo code??

That's correct. And live in CA.

I figured I had nothing to lose. The application is simple, no credit check, already had their MM account. (For all I know having the MM is the key.)

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:49 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
iamlucky13 wrote:I just don't get it. They keep ramping up the rewards for being an unloyal customer, while the interest rate stays stagnant.

Their money market interest rate is 1%. There's a $200 bonus for opening their MM account.

$600 for about a half hour of "work", pretty good deal IMO. Take it or leave it...

FWIW, I've had a CapOne credit card for years. I don't plan on deleting the MM and checking accounts, they might come in handy.

Don't get me wrong. I don't see any reason for people who are eligible not to take the offer. I'm debating whether to try this and see what results from it, since it sounds like I'm not intended to be eligible.

But for the length of time I've been with ING/CapitalOne360, even 1/4 percent higher interest rate would have returned about the same amount by now, but would also continue doing so in the future, and would presumably result in more stable deposit levels for them and lower churn-related costs.

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:58 pm

Giving it a shot! I have a MM acct already and live in MI. Thanks for the info! The worst that can happen is it doesn't work, right?

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:32 pm

Ally is 30 bp ahead of Capital One. That's some expensive inertia.

I agree about CapOne's peculiar preference for disloyalty, though. However I keep my account open with a few dollars because bonuses at other banks (Chase, e.g.) are often triggered by DDs from CapOne, so I rationalize that CapOne chipped in.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:43 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:

Ally is 30 bp ahead of Capital One. That's some expensive inertia.

I agree about CapOne's peculiar preference for disloyalty, though. However I keep my account open with a few dollars because bonuses at other banks (Chase, e.g.) are often triggered by DDs from CapOne, so I rationalize that CapOne chipped in.

CapitalOne's online savings is 0.75% vs. 1.05% for Ally, so there is a 30 bp difference there.

However, CapitalOne's FDIC-insured money market account is 1%, versus 0.85% for Ally, so since I have a money market account, the difference is only 5 basis points. That doesn't add up very quickly.

Aside from inertia, I've also been hesitant to change for the sake of interest rate "market timing." I could just see CapitalOne finally raising their rates once I make the change.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:42 am

SrGrumpy wrote:However I keep my account open with a few dollars because bonuses at other banks (Chase, e.g.) are often triggered by DDs from CapOne, so I rationalize that CapOne chipped in.

This is good to know. If I am to play the bank bonus game, I need a set of places qualifying as DD.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

runfast4

Post by runfast4 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:23 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
runfast4 wrote:One of the conditions is you must live in greater Boston, MA area. sunny_socal if your name is an indication of where you reside, I am surprised it worked. It worked with you just typing in the promo code??

That's correct. And live in CA.

I figured I had nothing to lose. The application is simple, no credit check, already had their MM account. (For all I know having the MM is the key.)

I've got 360 savings, so I may give it a shot as well. Won't hurt.

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:37 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
SrGrumpy wrote:However I keep my account open with a few dollars because bonuses at other banks (Chase, e.g.) are often triggered by DDs from CapOne, so I rationalize that CapOne chipped in.

This is good to know. If I am to play the bank bonus game, I need a set of places qualifying as DD.

Victoria

Hustler Money Blog and Doctor of Credit have good data points on what constitutes as a DD.

siamond

Post by siamond » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:19 am

All right, I gave it a try... Thanks for the tip.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:27 am

I don't remember the last time I did something like this...is the bonus considered interest and therefore taxable?

Pranav

Post by Pranav » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:01 am

simplesimon wrote:I don't remember the last time I did something like this...is the bonus considered interest and therefore taxable?

Yes
Pranav

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:46 am

Pranav wrote:
simplesimon wrote:I don't remember the last time I did something like this...is the bonus considered interest and therefore taxable?

Yes

Bank bonuses are taxable. Credit card bonuses and rewards are considered a rebate and thereby are not taxable.

siamond

Post by siamond » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:00 am

annielouise wrote:Capital One 360 Checking is one of 2 national checking accounts (that I am aware of) that offer 0% foreign transaction fees when using their ATM card while traveling. A reason, perhaps, to maintain a second checking account.

I received my debit card today, and yes, the letter made clear that "Say goodbye to foreign fees... You can use your card for purchases anywhere in the world - fee-free". That is the primary reason for which I'll keep the account open. So I guess that Capital One bonus offer / marketing worked on me! Even if I don't plan to use it very much at all.

pasadena

Post by pasadena » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:59 pm

I opened one a few days ago, but I've yet to make a qualifying DD. My next paycheck is next Friday, so unless transfers from HSBC work (which I doubt), I will have to wait another 3 weeks+ before I see if it works.

Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:54 pm

Well, I tried it as well, but didn't enter the bonus code on the funding page since I was going to fund it later through direct deposit. Since I saw no where else to enter the code, I called customer service and had a note put in my file that I would call back in 60 days after my two direct deposits were made and Capital One would manually credit my account with the $400 bonus. We'll see! At least the ATM card will be good for no fee ATM withdrawals on foreign trips.
Unfortunately, common sense is uncommon...

siamond

Post by siamond » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:56 am

Here is a list of what types of transfers have been reported by end users as qualifying for Direct Deposit:

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/knowledge-base/list-methods-banks-count-direct-deposits/#Capital_One_360

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:17 am

siamond wrote:
annielouise wrote:Capital One 360 Checking is one of 2 national checking accounts (that I am aware of) that offer 0% foreign transaction fees when using their ATM card while traveling. A reason, perhaps, to maintain a second checking account.

I received my debit card today, and yes, the letter made clear that "Say goodbye to foreign fees... You can use your card for purchases anywhere in the world - fee-free". That is the primary reason for which I'll keep the account open. So I guess that Capital One bonus offer / marketing worked on me! Even if I don't plan to use it very much at all.

Thank you for pointing it out. I was quite determined to close this account after the bonus is posted, but now I will reconsider. Please clarify:
Are 0% foreign transaction fess only for purchases? Or also for using ATM machines to withdraw cash?

I travel internationally quite a lot, and my normal approach is to use Chase Sapphire Preferred for all travel related expenses such as hotels, restaurants, and local transportation. I don't shop much but when I do, I use the CSP, or another credit card, or cash. I get cash from ATM machines using my Navy Fed card, charging 1%. It seems that the Capital One ATM card could replace my Navy Fed card. Right?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

siamond

Post by siamond » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:00 am

VictoriaF wrote:Please clarify:
Are 0% foreign transaction fess only for purchases? Or also for using ATM machines to withdraw cash?

The letter from CapitalOne wasn't specific in this respect.

NerdWallet did document a no-fee policy for ATM machines as well.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/banking/debit-card-foreign-transaction-international-atm-fees/

Here is the full review. Hey, there is also a 0.20% interest rate on the checking balance, that's nice.

Here are the full disclosures from CapitalOne, which aren't terribly clear, I have to say.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:27 am

siamond wrote:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/banking/debit-card-foreign-transaction-international-atm-fees/

Here is the full review. Hey, there is also a 0.20% interest rate on the checking balance, that's nice.

Here are the full disclosures from CapitalOne, which aren't terribly clear, I have to say.

Thank you, siamond!

I started reading NerdWallet's article Foreign ATM and Debit Card Fees by Bank and its comments. The following exchange of comments is relevant here:
John Smith wrote:
Mike Jones wrote:
John Smith wrote:I think you'd find, if you looked closely, that while Cap One 360 makes a big deal of the fact that THEY don't charge a foreign currency conversion fee, in their disclosures if you read deep enough, you'll find them acknowledging that the MasterCard network (which is their debit card) does charge a FCF on transactions using their card. it isn't shown separately on your statement, but is reflected as a slightly lower exchange rate than the standard MC network rate for any given day.

And how much is that fee? Is it just a slightly lower exchange rate? If so, it will still be better than a 1% foreign transaction fee

For the Cap One 360 card and the fee that MC charges for foreign transactions with that card, the last time I checked, the fee that MC disclosed was less than 1%, which isn't bad at all. However, it's NOT the fee-free card with "ZERO" foreign transaction fees that the prior commentor suggested it is.

Victoria

annielouise

Post by annielouise » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:41 am

VictoriaF wrote:
siamond wrote:

Thank you, siamond!

I started reading NerdWallet's article Foreign ATM and Debit Card Fees by Bank and its comments. The following exchange of comments is relevant here:
John Smith wrote:
Mike Jones wrote:
John Smith wrote:I think you'd find, if you looked closely, that while Cap One 360 makes a big deal of the fact that THEY don't charge a foreign currency conversion fee, in their disclosures if you read deep enough, you'll find them acknowledging that the MasterCard network (which is their debit card) does charge a FCF on transactions using their card. it isn't shown separately on your statement, but is reflected as a slightly lower exchange rate than the standard MC network rate for any given day.

And how much is that fee? Is it just a slightly lower exchange rate? If so, it will still be better than a 1% foreign transaction fee

For the Cap One 360 card and the fee that MC charges for foreign transactions with that card, the last time I checked, the fee that MC disclosed was less than 1%, which isn't bad at all. However, it's NOT the fee-free card with "ZERO" foreign transaction fees that the prior commentor suggested it is.

Victoria

I'm definitely leaning towards Schwab for my travel checking account after reading these types of reviews (since I originally posted my comment about foreign transaction fees).

The other sticking point for me is that Capital One doesn't allow you to let them know in advance where you will be and relies on texts/email notifications for charges or atm withdrawals. I don't need the worry that my debit card will be frozen because I am unable to get / reply to a text or email.

In the past I used my CU debit (1% ftf) for cash when traveling , but we recently switched to CapOne Bank (not 360) and they charge 3%!

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:58 am

annielouise wrote:The other sticking point for me is that Capital One doesn't allow you to let them know in advance where you will be and relies on texts/email notifications for charges or atm withdrawals. I don't need the worry that my debit card will be frozen because I am unable to get / reply to a text or email.

Thank you for writing this! I travel for extended periods of time without a computer or telephone and definitely do not want to depend on communications with my bank.

Victoria

siamond

Post by siamond » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:11 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
annielouise wrote:The other sticking point for me is that Capital One doesn't allow you to let them know in advance where you will be and relies on texts/email notifications for charges or atm withdrawals. I don't need the worry that my debit card will be frozen because I am unable to get / reply to a text or email.

Thank you for writing this! I travel for extended periods of time without a computer or telephone and definitely do not want to depend on communications with my bank.

That is a really good point... Thank you for the feedback, annielouise.

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:37 pm

Got this bonus today, not in targeted area, Schwab brokerage acct helped trigger it. Easy $400.

jay22

Post by jay22 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:56 pm

gvsucavie03 wrote:Got this bonus today, not in targeted area, Schwab brokerage acct helped trigger it. Easy $400.

How many days after the DD did it take?

slbnoob

Post by slbnoob » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:15 pm

Another data point. Got the bonus. Not targeted, nor in the area. Used Vanguard to trigger the bonus. Bonus showed up 1 day after the 2nd deposit from VG.

dollarsaver

Post by dollarsaver » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:32 pm

slbnoob wrote:Another data point. Got the bonus. Not targeted, nor in the area. Used Vanguard to trigger the bonus. Bonus showed up 1 day after the 2nd deposit from VG.

Did you just have Vanguard ACH two deposits into your new Cap One 360 checking account?

susa

Post by susa » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:06 pm

Never got an invite email but opened the account on June 26 and pushed 2 deposits from GSBank and CapitalOne posted the 400 bonus today.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:55 pm

Capital One must have dumped the bonus in a batch today. I'm not in the target area nor did I receive an invitation, but I did get the $400 bonus. The deposit requirements were achieved by a partial direct deposit from my paycheck, and an ACH transfer from Fidelity, initiated on the Fidelity side.

pasadena

Post by pasadena » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:06 am

slbnoob wrote:Another data point. Got the bonus. Not targeted, nor in the area. Used Vanguard to trigger the bonus. Bonus showed up 1 day after the 2nd deposit from VG.

Same for me. It took 10 days for VG to add the external account (3 days for the micro-deposits to post, then 7 days for them to approve the account. I also received 3 times the exact same letter telling me about it). I pushed two $250 transfers on the same day (Tuesday), they posted yesterday, and the bonus posted today (Friday).

I'm in LA, so I could hardly be farther away from Boston!

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:48 am

jay22 wrote:
gvsucavie03 wrote:Got this bonus today, not in targeted area, Schwab brokerage acct helped trigger it. Easy $400.

How many days after the DD did it take?

June 30 - payroll $250
July 3 - Schwab $250 (with trial deposits)
July 5 - Schwab $250

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:56 pm

Anyone who at one time had an ING Orange account receive this bonus?

slbnoob

Post by slbnoob » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:39 am

dollarsaver wrote:

Did you just have Vanguard ACH two deposits into your new Cap One 360 checking account?

Yes. Also what @pasadena said above.

SweetP

Post by SweetP » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:50 pm

$250 dd from employer on 6/30
$250 from Vanguard on 7/5
Bonus posted on 7/7

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:56 pm

nalor511 wrote:Anyone who at one time had an ING Orange account receive this bonus?

Bump, anyone?

onyxlinkia

Post by onyxlinkia » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:38 pm

I confirmed that I didn't get the bonus and I had ING account years ago :?

nalor511 wrote:
nalor511 wrote:Anyone who at one time had an ING Orange account receive this bonus?

Bump, anyone?

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:34 am

onyxlinkia wrote:I confirmed that I didn't get the bonus and I had ING account years ago :?

nalor511 wrote:

Bump, anyone?

Doh, I won't bother then

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:42 am

nalor511 wrote:
onyxlinkia wrote:I confirmed that I didn't get the bonus and I had ING account years ago :?

nalor511 wrote:

Bump, anyone?

Doh, I won't bother then

Deal expired June 30, so it's academic now. Anecdotal evidence, however, indicated no success for ING Orange veterans.

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:58 am

There is a 300 bonus right now. It does say you have to be a new customer (not just new checking account) and my wife did the 200 MMA bonus a month or so ago, so I'm giving it a try.

siamond

Post by siamond » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:59 pm

siamond wrote:

I initiate two deposits of $250 from E*Trade the day after opening the account, they were properly posted, and yet, the $400 bonus didn't appear since then. Arumph.

onyxlinkia

Post by onyxlinkia » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:13 pm

Are you going to call them to ask about not getting the promo? :wink:

siamond wrote:
siamond wrote:

I initiate two deposits of $250 from E*Trade the day after opening the account, they were properly posted, and yet, the $400 bonus didn't appear since then. Arumph.