Do You Take Your Credit Card Receipts?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Nicolas

Re: Do You Take Your Credit Card Receipts?

Post by Nicolas » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:54 pm

flamesabers wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:
Munir wrote:Does taking the receipt make it easier or less easy for someone trying to steal your credit card info at the place of transaction or later if receipt is discarded?
Receipts no longer print your credit-card numbers on them so I don't think it matters one way or the other.
Don't they still print the last 4 or 5 digits of your credit card number on your receipt?
Yes they do, the last four digits are always printed. Else how would one know which credit account it was charged to?

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:58 pm

Nicolas wrote:
flamesabers wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:
Munir wrote:Does taking the receipt make it easier or less easy for someone trying to steal your credit card info at the place of transaction or later if receipt is discarded?
Receipts no longer print your credit-card numbers on them so I don't think it matters one way or the other.
Don't they still print the last 4 or 5 digits of your credit card number on your receipt?
Yes they do, the last four digits are always printed. Else how would one know which credit account it was charged to?
But how would that allow someone to steal your credit card info?

Years ago they used to print the full credit card number.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:26 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Nicolas wrote:
flamesabers wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:

Probably no way to do it with just the last four digits, I was just answering the question as to whether they were printed or not.

Don't forget your name is also on there. This also should not be any security breach, but I don't want my name and what I spent and when and where floating around on little slips of paper everywhere, so I destroy them, after reconciling with my statement.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:46 pm

nordsteve wrote:I take them, and keep them for a couple days. My theory is that errors in tip entry are less likely to occur when you take the receipt.
After noticing (and resolving) a $30 error from a restaurant last year, I now do the same but only for receipts with tips.

AlwaysBeClimbing

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:53 pm

I always take them and reconcile them with my EOM statements. I used to just toss them into a box, but started clipping them together in date order and it speeds up the process, a lot. Receipts can be useful in a number of ways beyond just statement reconciliation, they can make returns/exchanges easier, provide a quick record of where you were on a specific day&time, and fulfill warranty conditions. There may be other reasons I haven't thought of.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:18 am

denovo wrote:I've found an interesting way to deal with that. I tip using an algorithm, so if I scan the credit card bill I can figure out if there is any mickey mouse.

So if I decide my total bill will be around 23 dollars. I add 2+3= and make it $23.05, $51 would be 5+1= $51.06, granted some numbers will repeat, but it will detect most fraud I guess.
I like that. Other than keeping original receipts (to scan) for warranty purposes on larger items, tip fraud is the only thing that I consider likely. I sometimes take the receipt to confirm against the statement later, then I forget or don't bother. Your approach makes it obvious to you that something's amiss.

Lacking a receipt, though, you have no way to prove anything. As another poster wrote, I wouldn't go back to complain, I just wouldn't go back. If it was a place that I'd frequent due to other conditions (fast lunch place with good food near work), I might complain if I thought out was intentional and that it might result in correction. If infrequent and small, I wouldn't bother. I don't want to waste my time contemplating the ethics of other people.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:23 am

Lynette wrote:No, I check my credit card statement periodically to see if there are no unwanted charges. I have a few box of tiles for my kitchen floor from Home Depot that are spare. I did not keep the receipts. I suppose that there is a record of them on my statement. I'll just keep them in my garage - maybe use them to replace bathroom floor - or dump them (more likely). I don't like stuff I don't use!
Almost any megacorp store can reproduce the receipt with the original card and the UPC. Whether they'll accept that is a different question. My experience is that most stores will give you a store gift card, at least.

For extra tiles, I'd keep a few.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:27 am

MrNewEngland wrote:Nope, not unless there's potential that I may return and item or something like that.

I don't balance my books and I am borderline compulsive about how often I check my accounts online and I pay off my bills a couple times a week.
Borderline? :wink:

student

Post by student » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:43 am

I usually take them but throw them away in a few days.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:49 am

AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:... provide a quick record of where you were on a specific day&time, ...
No receipt needed. Just ask Google. :shock:

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:36 am

TravelGeek wrote:
nordsteve wrote:I take them, and keep them for a couple days. My theory is that errors in tip entry are less likely to occur when you take the receipt.
I do the same. The waiter might be more likely that I am reviewing every receipt. So I take restaurant receipts, but I don't actually keep them; I toss them in the trash. I do review my statements on a regular basis, and I get emails and/or text messages for virtually every credit card charge.
Same for me.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:15 am

Jelloanddon wrote:I use Mint and look at my transactions daily and have had no problem reconciling my expenses.

Am I missing something by not taking them with me or having the clerk print them out?
Can't speak to whether or not you're missing anything as that's for you to determine. I need them to accurately reconcile even though I also use Mint but I may have a significantly larger volume of transactions than you.

AlwaysBeClimbing

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:28 am

spammagnet wrote:
AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:... provide a quick record of where you were on a specific day&time, ...

:?:

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:39 am

AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:
spammagnet wrote:

It's a joke. Google tracks everything and everybody, everywhere. Perhaps they don't have a hook into you but they know more about most people than those people are aware of.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:43 am

spammagnet wrote:
AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:
spammagnet wrote:

It's a joke. Google tracks everything and everybody, everywhere. Perhaps they don't have a hook into you but they know more about most people than those people are aware of.
For the "check a record" advantage - isn't it far faster to check on line than look through hard-copy receipts? And of course if you use Mint, Quicken, PersonalCapital, etc. you will have all this across all your cards in one place.

Google has BIG BIG Data with information on all of us. The second biggest tracker of our personal data, from what I understand, is Netflix.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:23 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Nicolas wrote:
flamesabers wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:

Being more secure than before does not mean that it's absolutely secure. Nothing is absolutely secure; criminals come up with new scams all the time, and conceivably even the last four digits of a credit card can be useful for something. You can not avoid all possible fraud, but taking a credit card receipt is an easy way to eliminate some potential risks.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:35 am

VictoriaF wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:
Nicolas wrote:
flamesabers wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:

Being more secure than before does not mean that it's absolutely secure. Nothing is absolutely secure; criminals come up with new scams all the time, and conceivably even the last four digits of a credit card can be useful for something. You can not avoid all possible fraud, but taking a credit card receipt is an easy way to eliminate some potential risks.

Victoria
If you fear the 4-digits can be used against you then at a lot of places you might be better off NOT taking a receipt - specifically I'm talking about the many vendors that ask you if you want one and don't print one if you say no. If its printed - it can be lost and found and used.
Quick google searches seem to indicate that years ago people feared the last 4 digits "might" be used for social engineering as some places used to use it for account verification - no one seems to be doing so anymore but who knows.

marti038

Post by marti038 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:37 am

fareastwarriors wrote:Only for places with tipping. Found errors on those receipts all the time.
x2

therub

Post by therub » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:44 am

For everyone who takes their receipts and reconciles them later:

Please roughly calculate the hourly wage this has returned over the last 5 years. (How many errors caught * average error amount) / (hours spent saving and reconciling)

I stopped bothering with it years ago. I'm sure mistakes have crept through, but somehow I am still solvent and happy.
Fees are the rub.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:12 pm

[duplicate]
Last edited by Nicolas on Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:15 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:40 am

I always take the receipt, enter into quicken and reconcile against cleared transactions. Then I shred it unless I think I will need it for a return.
For many places if you dont take the receipt, its still generated and the cashier simply throws it into a trash can un-shredded.

I have been overcharged a few times and have caught it on the receipt after checking out.

Last night we were almost charged for two extra meals at a restaurant, I almost didnt catch it as I had already signed the receipt and entered a tip when I double checked the itemized bill and saw two extra meals :(
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:49 pm

DaftInvestor wrote: If you fear the 4-digits can be used against you then at a lot of places you might be better off NOT taking a receipt - specifically I'm talking about the many vendors that ask you if you want one and don't print one if you say no. If its printed - it can be lost and found and used.
Quick google searches seem to indicate that years ago people feared the last 4 digits "might" be used for social engineering as some places used to use it for account verification - no one seems to be doing so anymore but who knows.
If asked, I tell them I don't want a printed receipt. If I get one (e.g., in sit down restaurants), I take it with me and later throw it into the recycling bin or shred it (depending on what the receipt was for).

Yes, there was a famous case of an account hack enabled by four digits of a credit card. It didn't come from a receipt fished out of the trash, though.

https://www.wired.com/2012/08/apple-ama ... n-hacking/
Apple tech support gave the hackers access to my iCloud account. Amazon tech support gave them the ability to see a piece of information — a partial credit card number — that Apple used to release information. In short, the very four digits that Amazon considers unimportant enough to display in the clear on the web are precisely the same ones that Apple considers secure enough to perform identity verification. The disconnect exposes flaws in data management policies endemic to the entire technology industry, and points to a looming nightmare as we enter the era of cloud computing and connected devices.
No one should use the last four digits of a credit card or SSN for authentication purposes.

LeeInTN

Post by LeeInTN » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:00 pm

we always take them for two reasons:
1) Reconciling monthly statements is important due to the common scam of wait staff adding more tip that I have already added, and
2) Sales tax records for the occasional year when itemizing deductions will apply

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:36 pm

LeeInTN wrote:we always take them for two reasons:
1) Reconciling monthly statements is important due to the common scam of wait staff adding more tip that I have already added, and
2) Sales tax records for the occasional year when itemizing deductions will apply

I have never noticed tip scamming on my credit card but also have not really kept a close eye at all. Would be curious for details on what you have seen-how much and how do they inflate the tip? What has been your experience resolving this when you discover it?

LeeInTN

Post by LeeInTN » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:09 am

They add $1 or $2 knowing most people, if they scan their bill, will think to themselves "Yes, that's about what I spent at that restaurant." Card companies are aware and provide instant adjustment via the online dispute resolution, and billback the merchant.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:40 am

LeeInTN wrote:They add $1 or $2 knowing most people, if they scan their bill, will think to themselves "Yes, that's about what I spent at that restaurant." Card companies are aware and provide instant adjustment via the online dispute resolution, and billback the merchant
Actually, credit card companies will very often issue a courtesy credit for such a small amount. They will only investigate and issue a charge back if there is a pattern.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:58 am

I always take my restaurant receipts for reasons mentioned (tip) but I haven't found a discrepancy in a long time and I admit to becoming lazy and not checking much any more (denovo, very clever—that algorithm method :beer).

At the market or whatever, I'm less consistent but generally I take it and stuff it in my pocket because I may want to check the price of an item later. Of course, anything that may need returning or warranty verification, I take it. Whether I take the receipt or not, any paper receipt that I may need in the future gets scanned and filed along with email receipts.

See my post to similar thread for more about scanning.
viewtopic.php?f=2&p=3418417#p3418417

This thread reminds me of...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gWx6uA5aCrE

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:19 am

I usually take them if I'm walking out the door with something, but that's mostly so I can prove I'm not shoplifting. I don't take restaurant receipts, etc.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:06 am

If they give it to me, I take it. If they ask if I need a receipt, and it is something small, I say no. At a restaurant though there is typically two copies (customer and merchant). I always take the copy so they don't throw away the one I signed and put the tip on and give themselves a bigger tip on the copy. I know it is unlikely to happen, but it isn't hard to take a small piece of paper.

buckstar

Post by buckstar » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:13 am

What do you do when the receipt you take from a restaurant doesn't match up with the charge on your credit card statement? I went to a restaurant recently and the credit card statement charge is $20 more than the receipt I took. Do I call the restaurant or the credit card company, or do nothing?

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:27 am

buckstar wrote:What do you do when the receipt you take from a restaurant doesn't match up with the charge on your credit card statement? I went to a restaurant recently and the credit card statement charge is $20 more than the receipt I took. Do I call the restaurant or the credit card company, or do nothing?
I suggest first calling the restaurant. If they refuse to correct this discrepancy, contact your credit card company.

JGoneRiding

Post by JGoneRiding » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:28 am

I read some where that bec of the chemical in receipts esp from gas stations that it is really bad for environment and if we all just said no it would be ahuge plus. after I cleaned 50+ receipts out of my car that I had done nothing with I started saying "no" when getting gas. Once or twice its messed me up forgetting I needed that receipt for reimbursement but mostly its my tiny way of helping the environment and keeping the car from getting cluttered (more?) at stores where the receipt is printed either way I generally take it and of course if I think there is any chance of return.

Now that they can be emailed I like that, permanent record no clutter.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:50 am

JGoneRiding wrote:I read some where that bec of the chemical in receipts esp from gas stations that it is really bad for environment and if we all just said no it would be ahuge plus. after I cleaned 50+ receipts out of my car that I had done nothing with I started saying "no" when getting gas. Once or twice its messed me up forgetting I needed that receipt for reimbursement but mostly its my tiny way of helping the environment and keeping the car from getting cluttered (more?) at stores where the receipt is printed either way I generally take it and of course if I think there is any chance of return.

I like the concept of getting my receipts via email, but in practice I don't think it's particularly convenient. Unless I already have an account with the store, I have to manually input my email address into the machine. Depending on the quality of the machine and whether or not I have a stylus to use, this can be a bit of a nuisance. Also, there is no guarantee I'll actually get an email of my receipt.

A second concern is the issue of privacy. Unless I use a junk email address, I don't want my email account to get bombarded with junk advertisement. If I do use a junk email address, that's an extra address for me to remember and check every so often so that the account doesn't get deactivated for non-use.

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:18 am

JGoneRiding wrote:I read some where that bec of the chemical in receipts esp from gas stations that it is really bad for environment and if we all just said no it would be ahuge plus. after I cleaned 50+ receipts out of my car that I had done nothing with I started saying "no" when getting gas. Once or twice its messed me up forgetting I needed that receipt for reimbursement but mostly its my tiny way of helping the environment and keeping the car from getting cluttered (more?) at stores where the receipt is printed either way I generally take it and of course if I think there is any chance of return.

One of the few times I have been scammed on a CC purchase was at a gas station. Back in the days when a fill up might be $20, they charged $120. It was also a truck stop so a $120 fuel purchase probably didn't seem unusual to the CC company. Having the receipt was important in getting the charges reversed.

These days I keep a month's worth in the car and use the back as scraps of notepaper. Then they get thrown away.

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:39 am

Not credit card receipts but ATM withdrawal. The one time I decided not to take it was in a hotel ATM in Canada and got hosed on a fx rate that didn't look right. Schwab was willing to investigate but needed receipt.