Collecting Canada Pension, will Social Security benefits be reduced?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
babs1952

Collecting Canada Pension, will Social Security benefits be reduced?

Post by babs1952 »

[Moved into a stand-alone topic from: Anybody collecting a Canada Pension in the U.S.? --admin LadyGeek]

Hi Not sure my situation is different. I live and have worked in the USA and now applying for Social Security. I also am collecting Canada Pension but it is not being deposited in the USA. Can Social Security still deduct a percentage from my benefits? Sorry i couldn't find the "post new topic" button :o
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Collecting Canada Pension, will Social Security benefits be reduced?

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome! The "Post new topic" button is at the top-left corner of the page (when viewing a forum). No worries, I created a new topic for you.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
thursdaysd

Post by thursdaysd »

See: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf

When you apply for benefits you will be asked about payments from other countries. At least I was - maybe it was the English accent...
Thursday's child has far to go
robertalpert

Post by robertalpert »

The SSA website documents an agreement with other countries, including Canada. Your benefits apparently would be affected by "windfall elimination". If so, then your SSA benefits may be reduced by about half.

http://www.ssa.gov/international/Agreem ... anada.html

Edit: But on the other hand, If you have 30 years paid into the social security system, then windfall elimination may have no effect on your SSA benefits.