laptop advice

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
fiverus

laptop advice

Post by fiverus » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:49 am

Hello,

I am in the process of purchasing a new laptop. I would prefer a basic laptop would be sufficient for me. That is all I really need. May I ask what are some of the features and benefits I should be on the look out for; such as operating system, processor, RAM memory, GB drive, etc.

Any recommendations are welcome.

Thank you in advance.

BogleAlltheWay

Re: laptop advice

Post by BogleAlltheWay » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:42 pm

Windows will be cheaper than Macs.

What will you be using it for?
How long do you plan to have it?

rob

Post by rob » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:02 pm

- Will you always be on WiFi? Have you considered a Chromebook?
- What is the purpose? If video edit stuff then need faster GPU&CPU&Memory, If just email/surfing, it will make little difference.
- SSD will make more of a speed feeling than almost anything else, especially on lower end machines.
- How much weight can you carry (or is this fixed at home)?
- What sized screen are you happy with? (If home use you can always plug into a bigger monitor.
- Mac vs. PC vs. Linux - Pick your religion (I have all 3 and they are good at different things and all have their own issues/advantages).
- Do you need a laptop? How about a good tablet (surface or the larger macs) with a bluetooth keyboard?
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

fiverus

Post by fiverus » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:09 pm

I like laptop. This would be for home use. Usually every 5 years I get a new one. I only use it for looking up information, surfing the net, social media and email. What do you think?

fiverus

Post by fiverus » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:10 pm

additionally, it would be windows.

rob

Post by rob » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:18 pm

In that case windows itself would be the most resource hungry thing your running. Anything from an I3 (or AMD equal). I would do the SSD for whatever size you think you will use in email and saved files and double whatever min memory windows currently thinks it needs (gives you some wiggle room as newer versions become heavier). If you want to burn more $ then you can get nicer machines... In your case I would spend on nicer screen resolution or something you will enjoy before CPU or memory - in the end the more power you get the heavier and larger it will be.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:24 pm

Groupon.com has many (refurb) laptops:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-hp-pro ... efurbished

i5 with a 128 GB SSD hard drive.

Amazon would also have many deals. Stick with i3 or i5 (i7 will be more) and an SSD that meets your storage needs. Not sure if 128GB would suffice?
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

fiverus

Post by fiverus » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:48 pm

How about Celeron? So, hard disk size should be 128GB or higher? Anything else I should be on the look out for?

I most likely will buy new and not refurbished.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:55 pm

fiverus wrote:How about Celeron? So, hard disk size should be 128GB or higher? Anything else I should be on the look out for?

I most likely will buy new and not refurbished.
Celeron would be the "lower/lowest end" chips. I'm not as "up" on the AMD processors.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

BogleAlltheWay

Post by BogleAlltheWay » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:02 pm

For hard disk size, it depends on what/if you plan on storing anything on the computer. 128 should be more than enough assuming you are not storing a ton of media.

A SSD hard drive will make the computer faster, but it is slightly more expensive.

I am not sure with the processor .

fiverus

Post by fiverus » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:09 pm

I found this at BestBuy

Lenovo - 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i3 - 6GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - Ebony black. I don't know what 6GB or 1TB mean. So, this is not SSD hard drive. right?

BanditKing

Post by BanditKing » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:17 pm

SSD is very nice in part because it uses a lot less power, in addition to being blazingly fast and more rugged than a hard drive.

I purchased an Asus ZenBook Flip UX360CA with a 512gb SSD (Windows 10) about 10 months ago and I'm exceedingly happy with it. It's lightweight, rugged (metal case), good battery life, converts to a tablet if I should want it to. It was on sale when I got it for under $600. I purchased via Amazon for another 5% discount with my Prime store card.

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-Ze ... p-UX360CA/

BogleAlltheWay

Post by BogleAlltheWay » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:30 pm

fiverus wrote:I found this at BestBuy

Lenovo - 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i3 - 6GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - Ebony black. I don't know what 6GB or 1TB mean. So, this is not SSD hard drive. right?

6GB is the memory of the computer. It is used while running programs. That is more than enough.
1TB is the hard disk which stores all the computer program and Windows. That is not an SSD.

fiverus

Post by fiverus » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:54 pm

How do you know if SSD or HDD?

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:20 pm

fiverus wrote:How do you know if SSD or HDD?
If the specs/ad says "hard drive" it is not an SSD. You definitely want an SSD drive.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:41 pm

BolderBoy wrote:
fiverus wrote:How do you know if SSD or HDD?
If the specs/ad says "hard drive" it is not an SSD. You definitely want an SSD drive.
Also by and large, SSDs will be measured in GB, while HDDs will be measured in TB. 1+ TB SSDs do exist, but they're still pretty darn expensive, so you'll only see them in high-end devices (laptops costing $1500-5000). <1TB HDDs also exist, but are no longer economical.

fiverus

Post by fiverus » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:26 am

Thank you everyone for your comments.

Any ideas best places to look? Microsoft, Amazon, Asus any others I may not be aware of?

Thanks,

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:28 am

fiverus wrote:Thank you everyone for your comments.

Any ideas best places to look? Microsoft, Amazon, Asus any others I may not be aware of?

Thanks,
Newegg

Lenovo (direct) - I have purchased from them.

Have bought ~ 15 Lenovo LTs over the last couple years and have had good experience with them.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

fiverus

Post by fiverus » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:00 am

Thank I will check them out.

I really don't know much about technology. Does anyone see anything on groupon they can recommend?

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:12 pm

fiverus wrote:I found this at BestBuy

All the responses so far have been great - have had my current Lenovo for 8 years and will probably buy another one soon since it's starting to act quirky and I guess showing some age and/or inadequacies - Intel i3 , SSD , and 6GB ram memory sound good but the one area still left unanswered is how much storage you need for data files and the operating system , factoring in future requirements on top of what you currently have on your system - most computers now seem to come with Windows 10 and 64 bit architecture and the Intel Core processors , i.e. i3,i5,& i7 are becoming the standard - what I would recommend is that you determine how much space your current data occupies , search the net to find out how much space Windows 10 needs , and then factor in an estimate for the future ; to my mind that's step one before you can decide how much storage space you need - 1TB could be huge overkill and 128GB could be inadequate - it's time for some DIY effort , in my opinion :happy

Good Luck !!
Last edited by ubermax on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:48 pm

fiverus wrote: I really don't know much about technology. Does anyone see anything on groupon they can recommend?
For someone like yourself, I'd just look for a hot deal on an Intel-based laptop with SSD. I'd have a slight preference for Dell over the other brands based on exp, but they're all pretty much commodity. And make sure you know what min/max screen size you're comfortable with.

You can keep an eye on this site for hot sales if you're not in a huge hurry: https://slickdeals.net/
Otherwise, I'd just go hit your local Costco, Sams, etc. and find a deal.