New Milestone

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
JeepDaze

New Milestone

Post by JeepDaze »

So, I just peaked at my Personal Capital account summary, and noticed an extra comma on my net worth total :-) Just crossed over into the two comma club. Turned 40 years old in May. This was a goal of mine to hit two commas by age 40. Don't mean to be bragadocious, just wanted to let out my excitement somewhere since I really am not the type of person to tell my friends these kinds of things. I love that I hit this milestone on a Friday, perfect start to the weekend! Cheers all! :sharebeer
AmericaFirst

Re: New Milestone

Post by AmericaFirst »

Congratulations! Are you including an inflated Zestimate for your house?
Topic Author
JeepDaze

Post by JeepDaze »

AmericaFirst wrote:Congratulations! Are you including an inflated Zestimate for your house?
Yes :(
Dollarsign16

Post by Dollarsign16 »

Congrats! The DW and I are targeting the net worth two comma club by 40 as well (we also use PC). It's nice to read about other people's successes and helps keep me motivated.

Cheers! :sharebeer
Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don’t want..to impress people they don’t like. –Will Rogers
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

Awesome, congrats! :sharebeer

(It's nice to celebrate anonymously over the internet.)
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
Meg77

Post by Meg77 »

Congratulations!!! :beer
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

It's nice to have a place where everyone understands even if we don't know your name. Congrats!
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

Congratulations!
The bad news is the next comma is a lot harder. :wink:
The good news is that each additional MM is a lot easier. :sharebeer
minesweep

Post by minesweep »

Texanbybirth wrote:Awesome, congrats! :sharebeer

(It's nice to celebrate anonymously over the internet.)
It's like having a Fan Club.:D
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
bligh

Post by bligh »

JeepDaze wrote:
AmericaFirst wrote:Congratulations! Are you including an inflated Zestimate for your house?
Yes :(

I literally laughed out loud! :D

Seriously though, inflated zestimate or not, congratulations! That is a significant milestone indeed, and at a young age too.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I take our ZEstimate with a grain of salt. I would list our home for quite a bit more than the current ZEstimate. Would our net be around or slightly below? Perhaps.

I would imagine the market and last sales vary based on the zip code.

Congrats on the milestone!!
Last edited by bloom2708 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Congrats!

Please report back when you lose the comma next week. :)

Then again when you get it back!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Hawaiishrimp

Post by Hawaiishrimp »

Congrats! Welcome to the club. I'm looking to meet you at 3 comma club.
I save and invest my money, so money can make money for me, so I don't have to make money eventually.
travelnut11

Post by travelnut11 »

Us too! Just turned 40 and just hit 2 commas including our real estate equity. I think I'll be more excited when our investable assets hit 2 commas and we're at $791K right now. Great job to both of us!
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrowmindedness ...and many of our people need it solely on these accounts. - Mark Twain | | Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing. - Helen Keller
moneywise3

Post by moneywise3 »

What is Personal Capital?
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Awesome News!!!

Give yourself a nice pat on the back, that is a great accomplishment.

Stay the Course!!

:sharebeer
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

Ha, anytime I look at my net worth on Mint I have to remind myself that both my properties are wildly over-estimated. It's still fun to look at though.
scubadiver

Post by scubadiver »

scubadiver
Last edited by scubadiver on Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Welcome to the large club. Now work even harder to get to the smaller, three comma club. :happy
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

travelnut11 wrote:Us too! Just turned 40 and just hit 2 commas including our real estate equity. I think I'll be more excited when our investable assets hit 2 commas and we're at $791K right now. Great job to both of us!
Us three! We average out to 40, and hit 2 commas early this year including RE equity. Just shy of $1.1M right now according to Mint. Cash + Investment accounts is at $797k. Funny how closely our situations line up. :sharebeer
moneywise3 wrote:What is Personal Capital?
It's an investment aggregator/visualization service. I think of it as Mint for brokerage accounts. The basic tracking/analysis features are free, and they occasionally try to upsell you to their AUM-based advisory service. I looked once, saw it was 89 bp, and never looked again. :P But the free features are great.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

I dont view our home as an investment...so I never include it in NW. With that being said we just hit $700k...33 and 34 years old. Hoping to reach 1MM net worth by 40...not including home...which is $300k :)
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

As somebody that hit the two comma club at 39, and am 43 now, allow me to share that the second million should come a lot faster and easier than the first.

Congrats, things start to get exciting at this point.
beezquimby

Post by beezquimby »

age 40, includes home value (paid off)

http://imgur.com/a/CWCrC
am

Post by am »

investingdad wrote:As somebody that hit the two comma club at 39, and am 43 now, allow me to share that the second million should come a lot faster and easier than the first.

This assumes a good market that the second million will come faster. For me, the second million would be tremendously tougher without the headwinds of a bull market.
am

Post by am »

ponyboy wrote:I dont view our home as an investment...so I never include it in NW. With that being said we just hit $700k...33 and 34 years old. Hoping to reach 1MM net worth by 40...not including home...which is $300k :)

I don't understand why anyone would not count their house equity in networth? You could sell tomorrow and live an upper class life in Ecuador http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/n ... 09369.html.

It's like saying I don't count my 500k mortgage in networth because it's not an investment! It's assets-liabilities.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

am wrote:
investingdad wrote:As somebody that hit the two comma club at 39, and am 43 now, allow me to share that the second million should come a lot faster and easier than the first.

This assumes a good market that the second million will come faster. For me, the second million would be tremendously tougher without the headwinds of a bull market.
Certainly market performance is a major factor. But as long as returns are not negative, having the first million in the bank will only help because you're not relying on income alone nor starting at zero.
trockross

Post by trockross »

JeepDaze wrote:So, I just peaked at my Personal Capital account summary, and noticed an extra comma on my net worth total :-) Just crossed over into the two comma club. Turned 40 years old in May. This was a goal of mine to hit two commas by age 40. Don't mean to be bragadocious, just wanted to let out my excitement somewhere since I really am not the type of person to tell my friends these kinds of things. I love that I hit this milestone on a Friday, perfect start to the weekend! Cheers all! :sharebeer
Congrats! I'm sure you had a great weekend!
KeepinItPositive

Post by KeepinItPositive »

Congrats!
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

am wrote:
ponyboy wrote:I dont view our home as an investment...so I never include it in NW. With that being said we just hit $700k...33 and 34 years old. Hoping to reach 1MM net worth by 40...not including home...which is $300k :)

I don't understand why anyone would not count their house equity in networth? You could sell tomorrow and live an upper class life in Ecuador http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/n ... 09369.html.

It's like saying I don't count my 500k mortgage in networth because it's not an investment! It's assets-liabilities.
Most people care about the number that will allow them to become FI.
If you plan on staying in your house, it doesn't make a difference when calculating your FI number.
If you don't plan on staying in your house, it does make a difference, but mostly if you are going to downsize or move to a lower COL area.

That's why many here don't include the equity in their home when calculating the number that will get them to FI.
Whether you include it in your net worth or not, you should consider all of this.
IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Zillow aside, congrats!!! :sharebeer

I was over 50 when I got a second comma for net worth :( (I use what might be considered excessively conservative estimates for real estate value though). At barely 53 I've yet to get my second comma for financial assets alone, hopeful of getting there by 55 though as I'm less than 2 years worth of savings/investing contributions away.
Don't do something. Just stand there!
am

Post by am »

IlliniDave wrote:Zillow aside, congrats!!! :sharebeer

I was over 50 when I got a second comma for net worth :( (I use what might be considered excessively conservative estimates for real estate value though). At barely 53 I've yet to get my second comma for financial assets alone, hopeful of getting there by 55 though as I'm less than 2 years worth of savings/investing contributions away.

The majority of people never see a second comma in networth or investable assets, so you've accomplished a lot! Hanging around here sometimes makes me feel like I am behind the curve even though my networth is about 2 mil in early 40s.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Congratulations. Well Done. Net Worth is Net Worth. Of course you include the estimated value of your house minus mortgage(I always subtract 6% for realtor cost as well). I think net worth is the most important number I track. Because I know that this "nest egg" will generate monies in my future.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

am wrote:

The majority of people never see a second comma in networth or investable assets, so you've accomplished a lot! Hanging around here sometimes makes me feel like I am behind the curve even though my networth is about 2 mil in early 40s.
Haha, yeah, I know what you mean. Back when they used to do the Boglehead surveys, or at least back when I paid attention, I was solidly lowest decile for my age cohort. When I'd get bummed about that I'd go look up the "wealth tables" in the Statistical Abstract of the US on the Census Bureau's website to regain a little fiscal self-esteem. I appear relatively better off for my demographic cohort compared to the US as a whole than I do among the Bogleheads.
am

Post by am »

bengal22 wrote:Congratulations. Well Done. Net Worth is Net Worth. Of course you include the estimated value of your house minus mortgage(I always subtract 6% for realtor cost as well). I think net worth is the most important number I track. Because I know that this "nest egg" will generate monies in my future.
If your paying 6% realtor fees, than you haven't found the best options out there.
scubadiver

Post by scubadiver »

scubadiver
Last edited by scubadiver on Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
am

Post by am »

IlliniDave wrote:
am wrote:

Haha, yeah, I know what you mean. Back when they used to do the Boglehead surveys, or at least back when I paid attention, I was solidly lowest decile for my age cohort. When I'd get bummed about that I'd go look up the "wealth tables" in the Statistical Abstract of the US on the Census Bureau's website to regain a little fiscal self-esteem. I appear relatively better off for my demographic cohort compared to the US as a whole than I do among the Bogleheads.
I do the same. I look at networth and income percentiles and that quickly puts things in perspective (top >5% and 2% respectively). I think the boglehead crowd is financially savvy and high networth and is not a representative sample (not even close).
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

am wrote:
bengal22 wrote:Congratulations. Well Done. Net Worth is Net Worth. Of course you include the estimated value of your house minus mortgage(I always subtract 6% for realtor cost as well). I think net worth is the most important number I track. Because I know that this "nest egg" will generate monies in my future.
If your paying 6% realtor fees, than you haven't found the best options out there.
use whatever number you choose appropriate. Not the point of post.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

duplicate
IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

scubadiver wrote:
Comparing the members of this forum to the U.S. population as a whole is about as close as you can get to a real life Lake Wobegon. If you're anywhere near the two comma club, you are doing better than your cohort average, regardless of age. I remember reading this a few years back (sorry, cannot recall the source), but my wife who stopped working at 28 to stay home with our kids has more than your typical 60 year old in her retirement accounts. All it took was a few years of maxing out her 401K contributions.

Anyway, the real fun will be maintaining this optimism through the first inevitable 20% market drop. :)
I've been through a number of those. In time I survived just fine, but I did not endure them with anything resembling optimism. :wink:
slowbutsteady

Post by slowbutsteady »

Congratulations! Nothing to sneeze at. Be proud and celebrate this in your own way. Keep up the discipline and habits that got you here and you will go places (networth-wise).
The tortoise wins every time I read that story.
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

beezquimby wrote:age 40, includes home value (paid off)

http://imgur.com/a/CWCrC
Wow why would you put this here?
Congrats Jeep!
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

bloom2708 wrote:
I take our ZEstimate with a grain of salt. I would list our home for quite a bit more than the current ZEstimate. Would our net be around or slightly below? Perhaps.

I would imagine the market and last sales vary based on the zip code.

Congrats on the milestone!!
The last house I sold went for nearly 20% over the Zestimate. I paid about 15% over the Zestimate when I bought the house I own now, in a different state. Is there any evidence that Zestimates are generally inflated?
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

We could sell our home for more than the Zestimate. Congrats. Hope to be in your same boat in a few years.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

I don't have a lot of faith in the Zestimates. I just went under contract on my house for $190k but the zestimate was $150. FWIW the Redfin online estimate was $193.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Helps if you are at the middle or beginning of a bull market.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!