How to pay somebody else's bank account from mine?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
dundee

How to pay somebody else's bank account from mine?

Post by dundee » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:58 pm

Dear bogleheads - a somewhat urgent question.

I am traveling overseas right now. My daughter has found a lease on the apartment and needs to sign it tomorrow. She needs to give them a security deposit, first month rent and broker fee before signing the lease. The Broker/Real estate place told her to bring a certified check or wire transfer the money to their account (they provided details). Unfortunately, she doesn't have sufficient money, so, I will have to give her that. To do either certified check or wire transfer, my bank asked me to go to the branch in person, which I cannot do.

So, my question - how can I transfer about $5k to an account in another bank without going to the branch in the next few hours?

It seems like with a service like Xoom, I can transfer money from the US to any country. But, cannot do it within the US. Does anybody know a better way?

bloom2708

Re: How to pay somebody else's bank account from mine?

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:07 pm

Does she have PayPal? Not sure if you can get things set up fast enough to do the transfer today though.

If you both have PayPal accounts, you do person to person.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

Topic Author
dundee

Post by dundee » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:22 pm

No she doesn't have paypal.

I would prefer to transfer directly to the landlord or broker's account.

Post by 123 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:25 pm

Does she have a sufficient credit card limit that she can take a cash advance to raise funds? It would involve fees but if promptly paid off it could be an alternative. I wouldn't recommend you do such a thing from overseas due to so many layers of fees, including foreign exchange.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:43 pm

Check this out. Maybe you could do the "Cash Pickup" option. I have never used it, just found it from google searches.
https://www.worldremit.com/en/how-it-works

Edit: Seems they get mixed reviews online. Some who've transferred larger amounts complained about "lost money" :shock:
Last edited by TallBoy29er on Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:44 pm

If you are both at the same bank like WellsFargo, you can do it instantly online or on your smart phone.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

dbr

Post by dbr » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:46 pm

Yes, my bank will make transfers to other accounts at the bank, meaning the same bank system US wide.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:49 pm

dbr wrote:Yes, my bank will make transfers to other accounts at the bank, meaning the same bank system US wide.
Good point. Our bank supports "Popmoney". If you both are in the same bank system, they may have something similar from your online account.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:50 pm

If you and daughter have accounts at same bank just call and transfer money from your account to hers. I have done it few times to my son's account.

Topic Author
dundee

Post by dundee » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:00 pm

Unfortunately, we don't have accounts in the same bank. My bank recently stopped using Popmoney. Anyways, i believe it was available only for under $1k.

1year23

Post by 1year23 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:04 pm

Venmo is the best. Sign up on line with venom.com and have your daughter do the same. All the millennials use it. Free service!!

themesrob

Post by themesrob » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:08 pm

Venmo or Paypal would both be my first thought, as well as Chase Quickpay (which does not require a Chase account, and works like a dream)

Topic Author
dundee

Post by dundee » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:13 pm

ok. Thank you all. Just checked, she already has Venmo. I will get mine set up.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:13 pm

Wells Fargo has SurePay which can send money via email to any registered bank account in the U.S. but I think the sender needs to have a Wells Fargo account. The sender initiates the transfer and inputs the recipient's email address. The recipient receives the email, registers with their account information so that neither party sees any account information of the other and the payment is made. Again, the recipient doesn't need to have a Wells Fargo account. I've used it several times and have never had a problem or any additional fees either. It is free for my account level.

gma

Post by gma » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:16 pm

Venmo/Paypal and all that stuff take a few days to clear if you're trying to move funds around and withdrawing, etc... so I'm not sure if you really have any good alternatives if you truly need funds available tomorrow. I want to say if you use the bank (whether same bank or clearXchange network) transfer functions too --- if you haven't been a frequent user/big account, they might restrict limits initially like $1000 max/day/etc. so that could be a showstopper. Do you have any friends/relatives that are local and can front the cash in your absence?