Need a group for group LTD

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
dandan14

Need a group for group LTD

Post by dandan14 »

A few years ago, when I was self-employed, I was able to purchase Long term disability through a trade association I joined. It was worth the $200 or so to join the association because the LTD was a good deal and easy to purchase.

I just took a job with a new company that does not offer LTD. I no longer qualify for the "group" I was in several years ago.

Anyone have ideas on where I can find other "groups" that I could join for the purposes of buying LTD insurance?
celia

Re: Need a group for group LTD

Post by celia »

Do/could you belong to a trade or professional group devoted to your profession where you can learn about changes in your field?

Is there a credit union you could join who offers access to disability insurance?

When searching online, use "disability insurance" instead of "long term disability insurance" along with your occupation-specific or geographic-specific terms.
afan

Post by afan »

With the hope that Brudude will chime in, you may be better off with an individual policy anyway. I don't know the ins and outs of DI, but it seems the individual policies can be better. The group almost surely would be cheaper.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

afan wrote:With the hope that Brudude will chime in, you may be better off with an individual policy anyway. I don't know the ins and outs of DI, but it seems the individual policies can be better. The group almost surely would be cheaper.
After reading what most group policies actually pay for, I decided to buy my own individual policy. Same occupation rider was the tipping point for me.

The group policy I had limited me to full disability payments if I was fully disabled ad unable to perform any work at all. If I was employable at all, I would be forced to work for peanuts. The individual policy makes up 100% of the difference e between what I earn now and what I'd earn in a new occupation.