Regret early retirement/downsizing

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
LittleMaggieMae
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Re: Regret early retirement/downsizing

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

TimeTheMarket wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:40 am
rich126 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:14 am I think most people do not regret retiring early especially if they do not have money issues. Just based on friends and family. The most common thing I hear from them is "I wish I could/would have done it sooner."
I've not looked for a poll, but I do spend time on reddit in the fire forum and I have seen a great many threads by people who regret retiring. They are aimless. It could be easy to say driven people are less apt to be satisfied with it but I don't think that's true. For whatever reason some have hobbies and other interests that are enough after retirement (I am extremely confident I'd be one of them), some aren't. Those who end up really regretting it stopped working because they were burned out but had no real interests outside of it, or never developed any. Even still, many who spend their days doing things eventually lose that sense of satisfaction from building/creating, so went back to work.
That is an interesting point. Doing things. Building/creating. I always thought of a hobby as being something that was "building/creating" something (in addition to memories). I've thought that "experiences" tend to build mostly memories (so, dining out, travel, entertainment activities) are "doing things".
visualguy
Posts: 2083
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:32 am

Re: Regret early retirement/downsizing

Post by visualguy »

TimeTheMarket wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:40 am
rich126 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:14 am I think most people do not regret retiring early especially if they do not have money issues. Just based on friends and family. The most common thing I hear from them is "I wish I could/would have done it sooner."
I've not looked for a poll, but I do spend time on reddit in the fire forum and I have seen a great many threads by people who regret retiring. They are aimless. It could be easy to say driven people are less apt to be satisfied with it but I don't think that's true. For whatever reason some have hobbies and other interests that are enough after retirement (I am extremely confident I'd be one of them), some aren't. Those who end up really regretting it stopped working because they were burned out but had no real interests outside of it, or never developed any. Even still, many who spend their days doing things eventually lose that sense of satisfaction from building/creating, so went back to work.
I think in many cases what people really need is a long sabbatical rather than early retirement, but doing that is frowned upon in much of the professional world for some reason.
snowox
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:17 am

Re: Regret early retirement/downsizing

Post by snowox »

visualguy wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:21 pm
TimeTheMarket wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:40 am
rich126 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:14 am I think most people do not regret retiring early especially if they do not have money issues. Just based on friends and family. The most common thing I hear from them is "I wish I could/would have done it sooner."
I've not looked for a poll, but I do spend time on reddit in the fire forum and I have seen a great many threads by people who regret retiring. They are aimless. It could be easy to say driven people are less apt to be satisfied with it but I don't think that's true. For whatever reason some have hobbies and other interests that are enough after retirement (I am extremely confident I'd be one of them), some aren't. Those who end up really regretting it stopped working because they were burned out but had no real interests outside of it, or never developed any. Even still, many who spend their days doing things eventually lose that sense of satisfaction from building/creating, so went back to work.
I think in many cases what people really need is a long sabbatical rather than early retirement, but doing that is frowned upon in much of the professional world for some reason.
I think that really depends on how long you take off and your reason. There are plenty of responsible reasons for a person to take time off but not to be snide if one just says they wanted a break then yeah.
visualguy
Posts: 2083
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:32 am

Re: Regret early retirement/downsizing

Post by visualguy »

snowox wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:18 am
visualguy wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:21 pm I think in many cases what people really need is a long sabbatical rather than early retirement, but doing that is frowned upon in much of the professional world for some reason.
I think that really depends on how long you take off and your reason. There are plenty of responsible reasons for a person to take time off but not to be snide if one just says they wanted a break then yeah.
I agree that the length could potentially be alarming to employers, but why is wanting to take a break not a legitimate reason for a sabbatical?

I understand why a sabbatical of a few years would be considered a problem when the person is back looking for a job - there's the fear that they would be "out of it", and have a hard time getting up to speed again (it's not necessarily justified, but I can understand the fear.) However, if someone was out for a year or two, it doesn't seem like that should be considered a problem even if it was just to take a break, but it's still frowned upon for some reason.
mptfan
Posts: 6208
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:58 am

Re: Regret early retirement/downsizing

Post by mptfan »

bayview wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:11 pm
cusetownusa wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote:
If that is the great passion of your life then I hope it works for you. Just would have thought you might have something else you would like to pursue such as music, photography, cycling, hiking, travel or something else.
Is there some sort of hierarchy of hobbies based on credibility/importance? I have always just lumped all hobbies together and try to never judge anyone on how they like to spend their free time as long as they aren't hurting anyone. Having this type of mindset has opened up new worlds and experiences for me as I am willing to try new things outside of my comfort zone...unfortunately there are limitless amount of ways to spend your time and just not enough time to do them all.
+1
+2
Gaming is not my cup of tea, but I don't understand why people judge other people for how they spend their time? I do not want people judging me for how I live my life and I extend the same courtesy to others.
flyingaway
Posts: 2973
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:19 am

Re: Regret early retirement/downsizing

Post by flyingaway »

visualguy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:32 am
snowox wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:18 am
visualguy wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:21 pm I think in many cases what people really need is a long sabbatical rather than early retirement, but doing that is frowned upon in much of the professional world for some reason.
I think that really depends on how long you take off and your reason. There are plenty of responsible reasons for a person to take time off but not to be snide if one just says they wanted a break then yeah.
I agree that the length could potentially be alarming to employers, but why is wanting to take a break not a legitimate reason for a sabbatical?

I understand why a sabbatical of a few years would be considered a problem when the person is back looking for a job - there's the fear that they would be "out of it", and have a hard time getting up to speed again (it's not necessarily justified, but I can understand the fear.) However, if someone was out for a year or two, it doesn't seem like that should be considered a problem even if it was just to take a break, but it's still frowned upon for some reason.
If you take a sabbatical, they have to hire someone to cover your work if that is essential. When you want to come back, where that person should go?
visualguy
Posts: 2083
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:32 am

Re: Regret early retirement/downsizing

Post by visualguy »

flyingaway wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:02 am
visualguy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:32 am
snowox wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:18 am
visualguy wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:21 pm I think in many cases what people really need is a long sabbatical rather than early retirement, but doing that is frowned upon in much of the professional world for some reason.
I think that really depends on how long you take off and your reason. There are plenty of responsible reasons for a person to take time off but not to be snide if one just says they wanted a break then yeah.
I agree that the length could potentially be alarming to employers, but why is wanting to take a break not a legitimate reason for a sabbatical?

I understand why a sabbatical of a few years would be considered a problem when the person is back looking for a job - there's the fear that they would be "out of it", and have a hard time getting up to speed again (it's not necessarily justified, but I can understand the fear.) However, if someone was out for a year or two, it doesn't seem like that should be considered a problem even if it was just to take a break, but it's still frowned upon for some reason.
If you take a sabbatical, they have to hire someone to cover your work if that is essential. When you want to come back, where that person should go?
You don't necessarily go back to the same job or employer. The problem is that having taken a sabbatical/break is considered a red flag for new jobs/employers, so people don't see it as a viable option even when that's what they really need as opposed to early retirement. If it was more accepted, that would be a positive development.
snowox
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:17 am

Re: Regret early retirement/downsizing

Post by snowox »

visualguy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:37 am
flyingaway wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:02 am
visualguy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:32 am
snowox wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:18 am
visualguy wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:21 pm I think in many cases what people really need is a long sabbatical rather than early retirement, but doing that is frowned upon in much of the professional world for some reason.
I think that really depends on how long you take off and your reason. There are plenty of responsible reasons for a person to take time off but not to be snide if one just says they wanted a break then yeah.
I agree that the length could potentially be alarming to employers, but why is wanting to take a break not a legitimate reason for a sabbatical?

I understand why a sabbatical of a few years would be considered a problem when the person is back looking for a job - there's the fear that they would be "out of it", and have a hard time getting up to speed again (it's not necessarily justified, but I can understand the fear.) However, if someone was out for a year or two, it doesn't seem like that should be considered a problem even if it was just to take a break, but it's still frowned upon for some reason.
If you take a sabbatical, they have to hire someone to cover your work if that is essential. When you want to come back, where that person should go?
You don't necessarily go back to the same job or employer. The problem is that having taken a sabbatical/break is considered a red flag for new jobs/employers, so people don't see it as a viable option even when that's what they really need as opposed to early retirement. If it was more accepted, that would be a positive development.

That is why you don't go out an apply with a resume that says "Took a sabbatical" or the likes BUT come up with a creative reason that would be recognized as understandable instead. I don't want to say lie but get creative. I think the time one takes off and out of the working world is more important the a responsible or viable reason. As simple as I really wasn't happy with where I was and felt it was better to leave and look for a new job with certain criteria and work on a kitchen remodel we've been wanting to do " Not verbatim but you get the gist.
phxjcc
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:47 pm

Re: Regret early retirement/downsizing

Post by phxjcc »

RudyS wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:09 am
TimeTheMarket wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:40 am
rich126 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:14 am I think most people do not regret retiring early especially if they do not have money issues. Just based on friends and family. The most common thing I hear from them is "I wish I could/would have done it sooner."
I've not looked for a poll, but I do spend time on reddit in the fire forum and I have seen a great many threads by people who regret retiring. They are aimless. It could be easy to say driven people are less apt to be satisfied with it but I don't think that's true. For whatever reason some have hobbies and other interests that are enough after retirement (I am extremely confident I'd be one of them), some aren't. Those who end up really regretting it stopped working because they were burned out but had no real interests outside of it, or never developed any. Even still, many who spend their days doing things eventually lose that sense of satisfaction from building/creating, so went back to work.
I believe you're right. There is a maxim that says you should not retire from something, but retire to something.
This.

Forced retirement due to health reasons.

Have redone 3 houses--that is my "hobby".
I get to create something, I was in engineering--it is part of my DNA.
I am now sooo bored.
May do it again, but immobility is a PITA.
btenny
Posts: 5419
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Regret early retirement/downsizing

Post by btenny »

I retired early at 52 to escape the Mega Corp rat race. That was 21 years ago. It was one of the best life decisions I made. BUT YES RIGHT NOW now I am pretty bored. Covid 19 and old age issues and the California smoke are limiting life pleasures. In my case I can no longer do hard outdoor yard work or repairs around the house. Covid has stopped all the in person events and parties and travel etc..
And for the last few weeks I cannot even set outside on my back porch due to heavy smoke. So I spend a lot of time on Bogleheads and reading other blogs and watching TV and You Tube...

So I am just setting around..... Grrrrrr......
flyingaway
Posts: 2973
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:19 am

Re: Regret early retirement/downsizing

Post by flyingaway »

billthecat wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:22 pm
flyingaway wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:26 am Since my planned #1 activity in retirement is overseas travel, I am going to wait until the virus thing is over, hopefully.
It's just idle curiosity but i wonder how many people are in a similar situation - they would have retired but are now waiting until this virus gets resolved. I wonder if there will be a rush to the door.
I expect that the airline tickets will be very expensive.
Post Reply