Regret early retirement/downsizing

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
namekevaste

Regret early retirement/downsizing

Post by namekevaste » Sat May 13, 2017 9:34 pm

There are many posts on this forum regarding early retirement or downsizing. Does anyone regret retiring early or downsizing?

lostdog

Re: Regret early retirement/downsizing

Post by lostdog » Sat May 13, 2017 9:49 pm

I semi-retired at 41 and don't regret it at all. Done with the rat race.
"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify." -Thoreau | Vanguard Total World Index

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun May 14, 2017 12:12 am

I retired last year at 63 1/2 and there are times that I regret it, not enough to do now, no purpose. I didn't like my job at the end, but I could've tried to do something else within the same megacorp. But since I didn't need the money I just retired instead. No going back now.
On the turntable: Cat Stevens: Moonshadow

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Sun May 14, 2017 12:37 am

Sure, there are regrets. I don't work in a large team with dozens of world's smartest people -- people recruited from all around the world. I don't keep up on cutting edge this or that -- much of which never gets published anyway since it is all company proprietary. I don't go to conferences where 5,000 happy customers spend 12 hours a day telling us how much better we made their lives. I don't get to coach people through a career -- taking a chance on that young grad and making him a team lead, seeing him flourish. I don't help set multi-year strategies and figure out how to build a team that can execute on it. There are lots of things that jobs provide that are simply impossible to replicate in retirement -- even if you volunteer or consult part-time. There's also the external validations. I don't have a direct report saying "you were a great boss" or the CEO saying "we're lucky to have you" or getting extra RSUs for being a "top contributor".

I mean, there's a reason all those super-rich people keep working even though they have hundreds of millions of dollars. Steve Jobs worked until basically his dying day and it wasn't because he was worried about 4% safe withdrawal rates :)

But when I worked I also had regrets. That my friends would take longer vacations or that they could go to that concert on Wednesday night or that they had the time & energy to go the gym every day or whatever.

It's not about having no regrets at all; I'm not sure that's possible. It's finding the right set of tradeoffs for you (and your family).

ThePrune

Post by ThePrune » Sun May 14, 2017 4:58 am

I retired 10 years ago at age 53. Never regretted it!

That said, it is extremely important for any retiree (regardless of age) to have a definite plan for "Meaningful Activity" in their new life. Vacationing, golfing and the like do not count as meaningful. For me, I started out as a half time volunteer at my church, then began teaching adult education classes on retirement planning and investing. Now I've taught so many classes that I'm a well known "free financial 2nd opinion" guy in my smallish community.

Sometime the "meaningful activities" pop up unexpectedly. After my mom died 7 years ago I started traveling regularly to spend time with my dad (16 hours away). Only because I had chosen to retire early did I have the freedom to do that for the 6 years until his death.

A very good book to help you think through the non-financial aspects of retiree life is "The New Retirementality, 4th edition" by Mitch Anthony.
Investment skill is often just luck in sheep's clothing.

stickman731

Post by stickman731 » Sun May 14, 2017 5:15 am

I took a voluntary severance package at 56 after working ~30 years. For 27 years when we were a private company, I loved my job and was rewarded well for hard work and results; we were acquired and the last three years were very frustrating. No raises because I was highly compensated and no bonuses because individual achievements were not recognized. It was your BU success and you were placed in a pool. The businesses I handled actually beat prior year and budget plan - but no rewards.

When they offered the severance, I took it based on the Boglehead's advice. No regrets, 4 re-organizations in 5 years since my departure and they actually called me to consult to figure out how I consistently grew the business. They are still clueless - claiming I was too expensive - a couple of thousand a day but they are losing millions annually.

I miss the daily interaction with some very smart people but I do talk and have dinner with them at least quarterly. Today, I consult 1-3 days per month with 3 clients. Keeps the mind active and in touch with the market place (specialty chemicals).

My only regret and hardest thing for me are the rainy days - you get locked in the house and there is only so much reading, computer, and housework you can do. I am not a TV watcher unless it is sports.

kathyauburn

Post by kathyauburn » Sun May 14, 2017 6:29 am

Different people are different. If I had had the money, I could have happily retired at age 24. I'm a creative person who can write, make music, pursue publishing and countless other projects. I don't get my energy or motivation from social situations or other people. I don't need or want validation from people working in an office. In fact, I disdain such people. (And I certainly don't think that the world's smartest people are found there.) I never met anyone in my years working in an office that I respected much at all. What a waste of life, I thought. If I have a regret, it's that I spent any time at all in such places.

Bottom line is that you have to examine yourself to determine whether you would regret retirement. What would be the possible reasons to regret it? Not enough money? That's entirely different from "not enough to do."

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sun May 14, 2017 7:26 am

Short answer no. Retired 6 years ago @61....hated work at the end. Much happier now. In process of downsizing to a new home which we're excited about. Anyway I think "retirement regrets" is an oxymoron.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun May 14, 2017 7:40 am

Second short NO!. Retired 5 years ago at 64 and the workplace had changed towards the end. Every time I see someone I knew from the work place they tell me I was lucky I left when I did. I think that says something too. Have plenty to do now, hobbies, music, movies and we travel frequently. Leaving soon for three weeks in Alaska. Have camera will travel ... the retiree's version of Paladin.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 14, 2017 7:59 am

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (retirement planning).
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 » Sun May 14, 2017 8:02 am

I retired this year so too early to tell perhaps. I do miss people coming to me for advise or guidance. I really miss the people I was close to. I miss being part of the team. On the other hand I noticed quite a few of my former friends and colleagues dying in their 50's and 60's. I've gotten in better shape than I've been in decades. I think there may come a time I will want a part time job for something to do, to be part of a team again. I feel that if one is OK financially, they can work around the other issues, but that's just my opinion.

Dandy

Post by Dandy » Sun May 14, 2017 8:03 am

Regret usually comes from loving a job an missing it, shaky retirement finances and boredom. Most retirees I have met who have basic finances covered don't miss their job. The one that did was bored until he started organizing events for the tennis club he belonged to. He had been sitting at home while his wife worked.

I think many of us who have retired a bit on the early side do miss some of the friends and social aspects of work. But, it sure is nice to not get up early and shovel snow at 6 am to get to work - when you can just roll over and snooze.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sun May 14, 2017 8:12 am

Forced out of my depressing job at 43, and I've been plodding along these past 6 years in semi-retirement on sharply reduced income (about $20k annually). I no longer set aside $$ for retirement, so I have lost a lot there. But no regrets otherwise. I travel about a third of the year in my quest to do all 50 states and 100 countries before I turn 50. Even if it all ended tomorrow or I end up eating cat food in my 60s, at least I can say I did it my way.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sun May 14, 2017 8:24 am

ThePrune wrote:I retired 10 years ago at age 53. Never regretted it!

That said, it is extremely important for any retiree (regardless of age) to have a definite plan for "Meaningful Activity" in their new life. Vacationing, golfing and the like do not count as meaningful. For me, I started out as a half time volunteer at my church, then began teaching adult education classes on retirement planning and investing. Now I've taught so many classes that I'm a well known "free financial 2nd opinion" guy in my smallish community.

This is important and very good advice.

Few of us are islands, self centred. Many of those are probably multi millionaires or billionaires ;-).

Just because society does not pay one to do something does not mean it has no value. There's lots of valuable work in society that is not paid, or not paid much.

Sometime the "meaningful activities" pop up unexpectedly. After my mom died 7 years ago I started traveling regularly to spend time with my dad (16 hours away). Only because I had chosen to retire early did I have the freedom to do that for the 6 years until his death.

My father died suddenly. In adulthood we had become friends by going on holidays together. I am so lucky that I was able to do that.

A very good book to help you think through the non-financial aspects of retiree life is "The New Retirementality, 4th edition" by Mitch Anthony.

Thank you.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:28 am

kathyauburn wrote:Different people are different. If I had had the money, I could have happily retired at age 24. I'm a creative person who can write, make music, pursue publishing and countless other projects. I don't get my energy or motivation from social situations or other people. I don't need or want validation from people working in an office. In fact, I disdain such people. (And I certainly don't think that the world's smartest people are found there.) I never met anyone in my years working in an office that I respected much at all. What a waste of life, I thought. If I have a regret, it's that I spent any time at all in such places.

Bottom line is that you have to examine yourself to determine whether you would regret retirement. What would be the possible reasons to regret it? Not enough money? That's entirely different from "not enough to do."

Wow.

hulburt1

Post by hulburt1 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:47 am

I had a plan to retire at 60. But got hurt and decided that at 55 I didn't want to work anymore. I now take trips every 6 months. I drive for a month to some where new. Driving to Alaska for the second time in 2 years. I coach track and xc at the locale high school six months a year. and have the rest of the time doing what I want. We don't down size I just use what I have. I worked for FedEx I miss the pace but not X-mass delivers or the driving in the snow. I left at 1m and now at 2m. Wife works but loves what she does. We don't mind taking vacation on our own. 9years out of work but boy I'm having fun.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sun May 14, 2017 9:55 am

kathyauburn wrote:Different people are different. If I had had the money, I could have happily retired at age 24. I'm a creative person who can write, make music, pursue publishing and countless other projects. I don't get my energy or motivation from social situations or other people. I don't need or want validation from people working in an office. In fact, I disdain such people. (And I certainly don't think that the world's smartest people are found there.) I never met anyone in my years working in an office that I respected much at all. What a waste of life, I thought. If I have a regret, it's that I spent any time at all in such places.

I assume your role as office social-events coordinator was short-lived? Great post. Whatever you make, I would buy it.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Sun May 14, 2017 10:02 am

I'm quite a ways off but I can't imagine a scenario where I'd regret it. If I'm financially independent I'd much rather go do volunteer work for Water For People or Habitat For Humanity or the Peace Corps or something like that. I don't define myself by my job.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sun May 14, 2017 10:02 am

I took an early retirement package thinking I might not work again or just be semi-retired. After about 4 months I was bored out of my mind and could feel my brain getting slower and slower. Then I got presented with an opportunity to do some contract work. So thankful for that. I think about retiring some, even have friend now who is very happily retired, but I can't really imagine going back to it given my previous experiment. Someday I am sure I will finally get tired of it, or pushed out or hopefully find something I really burn to do but until then I am much happier working and going to bed exhausted each night than having nothing but time on my hands and accomplishing little each day.
Run, You Clever Boy!

freebeer

Post by freebeer » Sun May 14, 2017 10:21 am

This is my beef with the word "retired" as used by, say, Mr. Money Mustache. I prefer "financially independent". kathyauburn could of course have done writing, music, publishing, and countless other things as paid endeavors at 24 as many artists do. If she was financially independent at that age she could have used it as a safety net as many artists do (there is a very strong artist-trustafarian correlation). But it would not have been "retirement", it would have been "being a writer", etc. There is plenty of work outside offices and so there are plenty of working people who don't go to offices who aren't "retired". Some of them may be financially independent just as some who go to offices are financially independent.

BTW re: "distain" and not "respecting" people who work in offices... I would be extremely surprised if my primary care MD wasn't financially independent given his age and that his DW is also an MD. Yet they both come into their office every day and care for patients, and they've been seeing many of us for decades. I'm certain they are not doing so mainly to pad their net worth but mainly because they get their energy and motivation from providing that care. I hope kathyauburn you don't consider their path - nor the path of the others in the office who are part of their care - a waste of life. Lots of activities require working in a team or from a place of business.

ajjulee

Post by ajjulee » Sun May 14, 2017 10:55 am

kathyauburn wrote:In fact, I disdain such people. (And I certainly don't think that the world's smartest people are found there.) I never met anyone in my years working in an office that I respected much at all. What a waste of life, I thought. If I have a regret, it's that I spent any time at all in such places. "

I'm impressed by the force of your conviction!
What I write on this forum is sometimes the truth, maybe the whole truth, and not always nothing but the truth, for the purposes of online anonymity.

avalpert

Post by avalpert » Sun May 14, 2017 11:23 am

kathyauburn wrote:In fact, I disdain such people. (And I certainly don't think that the world's smartest people are found there.) I never met anyone in my years working in an office that I respected much at all. What a waste of life, I thought. If I have a regret, it's that I spent any time at all in such places.

How sad that you had such limited exposure to working environments that you couldn't find one that didn't leave you with so much regret. Personally, I have had the privilege of working with some of the world's smartest people and many who are only among the highly intelligent that I respect greatly - not wasting their lives at all but living it without bitterness and regret.

MidMNtom

Post by MidMNtom » Sun May 14, 2017 11:24 am

Nicolas wrote:I retired last year at 63 1/2 and there are times that I regret it, not enough to do now, no purpose. I didn't like my job at the end, but I could've tried to do something else within the same megacorp. But since I didn't need the money I just retired instead. No going back now.

+1!

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Sun May 14, 2017 11:30 am

Retired early, but didn't downsize. Moved across the country to an area completely different from the one we came from. That move stimulated decorating, remodeling, RV'ing, biking, hiking, sight-seeing, photography, and the making of new friends, the discovery of new foods and of new cultures. The effect has lasted nearly 30 years, tapering off only now as serious health issues take center stage. No regrets at all. We lucked into a good retirement.

ktd

Post by ktd » Sun May 14, 2017 11:36 am

I see your point. Some people just like to have a boss to tell them what to do with their time.

supersharpie

Post by supersharpie » Sun May 14, 2017 11:39 am

Why do you hate non-creative types so much? Without elaboration it appears to be a very bigoted outlook.

junetree

Post by junetree » Sun May 14, 2017 11:45 am

No regrets whatsoever. Semi-retired early from a career in a highly innovative/technical field/industry. Retirement buys you time, which you can't get back. It provides for a flexible lifestyle. Today, we're sufficiently challenged, are happily self employed, have creative outlets and lead balanced lives of work, fun, play and time for ourselves, family and friends. I constantly hear of friends' amazing accomplishments as they change the world....while they hear of me and my family trekking around the world and enjoying exotic locales year in and year out. It's all a matter of finding your groove and what truly thrills you. I wake up each day incredibly happy and thankful for our lives and lifestyles. What we have is time for ourselves to achieve peak health conditions and to explore our interests and passions wholeheartedly. Today, I am as healthy as I was in high school, whereas during my work years, I was 35% heavier, unhealthy, plagued by various maladies and stressed, all for the pleasure of being proud of my contributions to the companies I worked for. I've reversed all those health problems since and more, and thus have discovered that everything is truly so much more enjoyable, the healthier you are.

Silverado

Post by Silverado » Sun May 14, 2017 11:48 am

Nicely worded post. Lots of artificial relationships are built and then justified. Not all the time but enough to me.

Post by 2015 » Sun May 14, 2017 12:01 pm

All of this.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 14, 2017 12:09 pm

The points on co-worker relationships have been made, let's move on. Please stay focused on personal perspectives.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

aj76er

Post by aj76er » Sun May 14, 2017 12:10 pm

+1

You and I would get along well :).
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle

TeamArgo

Post by TeamArgo » Sun May 14, 2017 12:12 pm

I am four years retired from a major telecommunications firm (at age 59, now 63) and I have never regretted it. My wife was very worried that I would miss work, because I was very focused on my job. But I have enough money to do what I want (mostly 401K and rolled-over lump sum in lieu of retirement pay). I have moved into a "spend and enjoy myself" mode with ease, so you could say I am focused on my retirement now.
I am currently moving money into a Roth within my 15% bracket each year, made more possible by those extra years.
Last edited by TeamArgo on Sun May 14, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are infinite numbers between two and three, but none of them are four.

celia

Post by celia » Sun May 14, 2017 12:15 pm

stickman731 wrote:My only regret and hardest thing for me are the rainy days - you get locked in the house and there is only so much reading, computer, and housework you can do. I am not a TV watcher unless it is sports.

Why don't you buy a good umbrella and maybe rain boots? Why stay in the house when there are so many things to see and do in this world?
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.

perl

Post by perl » Sun May 14, 2017 12:29 pm

celia wrote:
stickman731 wrote:My only regret and hardest thing for me are the rainy days - you get locked in the house and there is only so much reading, computer, and housework you can do. I am not a TV watcher unless it is sports.

Why don't you buy a good umbrella and maybe rain boots? Why stay in the house when there are so many things to see and do in this world?

Remember the Swedish saying: There is no bad weather, only bad clothes.

SteveinMN

Post by SteveinMN » Sun May 14, 2017 4:09 pm

I burned out big-time on my IT job at 53 after some major structural changes were made to how we worked. Doing the same work at another company would not have addressed enough of the structural issues. And there was nothing else I wanted (or was qualified) to do within my current company. At the same time, my wife was making a decent income in a stable environment and a job she very much likes.

So the plan was to expand one of my hobbies into a nominally-profitmaking venture. When I quit, though, it took a few months to decompress and, by then, we learned that by my handling many of the tasks we used to pay others to complete (lawnmowing, dinner prep, household repairs) and having time to buy used instead of just buying new, etc., we didn't need to replace nearly as much of my job's income as we thought. Neither of us are particularly complicated people, either: we'd just as soon buy a steak and cook it at home than go out to a restaurant. So our expenses went down a fair amount. This was all good as the business was not ramping up quickly.

Then one of the companies I'd worked for bought me out of a pension I'd almost forgotten about -- more money each month than I likely would have pulled out of my business. And we became grandparents. So I shuttered the business and effectively retired at 57.

I still get together with former coworkers, many of whom no longer recognize the workplace in which we'd spent so many years. They can't wait till they can retire. Life is good. DW and I live simply but not in a Spartan fashion. DW is looking at retiring in 2-1/2 years. And (if the stars align, etc.) life will be even better. We're in good shape financially and will be FI when she's done. And still young enough to enjoy it.

Like other posters, I do miss being closer to the front edge of what's new (in my case, in IT). There are some fine people I worked with whom I would like to see more often. But miss the commute? Or the fasterFasterFASTER mentality? No. Not ever.

Stormbringer

Post by Stormbringer » Sun May 14, 2017 5:06 pm

SteveinMN wrote:I burned out big-time on my IT job at 53 after some major structural changes were made to how we worked. Doing the same work at another company would not have addressed enough of the structural issues.

Yeah, IT work isn't what it used to be. Now it's all about managing cheap offshore and H-1B resources. I may check out in a few years as well.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Sun May 14, 2017 5:24 pm

I semi-retired 10 years at 42 and have not regretted. In fact, I shifted my main attention from work to personal finance management and now my retirement portfolio is at least twice as big as my friends with similar incomes and ages have. Yet they are still working hard on the proposals and papers. Money is probably not what they really need, they just cannot find joys outside the academics.

I have been travelling to a lot of places over these years, all on my own expenses. Although my friends have to wait for conference opportunities to go to the same places annually. I have made three international trips this year so far and feel very good not to work full timely.

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Sun May 14, 2017 8:39 pm

Does anyone regret retiring early or downsizing?

After retiring at 55, the next decade was the best years of my life. My experience has been that volunteers are not as selfish as my former coworkers, competing in the corporate world. Aren't most of the posters here, less self-centered than many of your coworkers? I improved my life by associating with nicer people, doing volunteer work.

thursdaysd

Post by thursdaysd » Sun May 14, 2017 8:41 pm

No regrets! I retired in 2000 at age 53, although I did part time contract work off and on for the next three years. I think it helps to transition rather than going cold turkey. I was a very techie techie with a megacorp, and while the first 25 years had been great the last five the job became less interesting and the environment more toxic. Also, I heard too many stories of people who were going to do things when they retired who didn't make it, or weren't in good enough health.

I retired specifically so I could travel while I was still healthy. This year, for the first time, I am not healthy enough, and I value every trip I was able to make. I did find I missed being an expert, but spending time on some of the travel boards and writing a blog seem to be good substitutes.
Thursday's child has far to go

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Sun May 14, 2017 9:04 pm

Sold my business at 61, and have worked a bit for the past few years to help my purchaser be successful (and honor the terms of the sales agreement). For the past year or so, my responsibilities to the purchaser take about 10 minutes on average per week. So, I consider myself retired. No regrets, but mostly because there were no surprises: I knew that I would miss the social aspects of running my business. I knew that I would miss the ego-stroking that came along with my position. While some of the socialization has found replacement, the ego-stroking is in deficit mode. I'm just a regular guy now (which I knew that was before, but being the "go-to guy" felt nice.)

In my case there was no financial need for downsizing. Given our income, generally we lived modestly. Now, I no longer need to buy $400 pants and >$1,000 suits. Those $500 shoes are rarely worn, so no need for replacement. I do some of the chores that used to be outsourced, like car washing/waxing and housecleaning. On the other side, vacation expenses are escalating logarithmically: happy

Am I happier retired? In someways: I enjoy not setting an alarm. I am more physically fit than I have been in 30 years. I get to go around town to meetings without feeling rushed, because I can now easily leave plenty of time to get to my destination. Feels nice not to be rushing about. I would be a lot happier if I did not have some health problems that are probably related to my former on-the-go lifestyle.

My main message to incipient retirees: Do an inventory of what drives you, what can be substituted in retirement, and plan for the challenges.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Mon May 15, 2017 9:53 am

vacation expenses are escalating logarithmically

I don't believe that word means what you you think it does :-)
It means exactly the opposite of what I believe you wanted to convey. I know you meant to say "exponentially".
Being a geek, it came across very funny to me.

delamer

Post by delamer » Mon May 15, 2017 10:10 am

heyyou wrote:
Does anyone regret retiring early or downsizing?

After retiring at 55, the next decade was the best years of my life. My experience has been that volunteers are not as selfish as my former coworkers, competing in the corporate world. Aren't most of the posters here, less self-centered than many of your coworkers? I improved my life by associating with nicer people, doing volunteer work.

I found this to be an odd comment. For most people, one of the primary -- often the primary -- goal of working is to make money to support themselves and their families. I would expect people to be at pretty competitive and self-focused when their livelihoods are at stake. In a volunteer situation, people are motivated much more by altruistic concerns and so I would expect them, on average, to be more pleasant and self-effacing. Not that egos are unknown amongst volunteers, and it also depends on the specific volunteer activity.

Two completely different situations, and even the same individual might behave differently in each.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Mon May 15, 2017 10:18 am

heyyou wrote:Aren't most of the posters here, less self-centered than many of your coworkers?

I think this is an excellent observation. People here are not nearly as focused on their own finances or financial situation or how to enrich themselves as most of my co-workers who obsessively spend hours on these topics. :oops:
Run, You Clever Boy!

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Mon May 15, 2017 10:24 am

I'm not sure if the topic has drifted or not, but to answer the OP:

I do know one person who retired from a good job in federal law enforcement. He got bored apparently because the next time I saw him he was working at Target as the security guy who stands at the front of the store to make sure people don't want out with merchandise. (This was a few years ago, I don't know if they still have them but Target used to station them at the front of each store). I'm sure he got paid close to minimum wage with no retirement accrual or other benefits but I guess it helped him occupy his time.

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon May 15, 2017 10:33 am

namekevaste wrote:There are many posts on this forum regarding early retirement or downsizing. Does anyone regret retiring early or downsizing?

I retired from IT about two years ago just before I turned 59.

About every six months or so I will go in to have lunch with some of my old coworkers.

About five minutes into the lunch I remember why I am so glad that I retired.

Like any job there were some issues that you could grumble about but in one form or another I had been doing IT work for over 35 years so more than anything it was just getting old.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:34 am

miamivice wrote:I'm not sure if the topic has drifted or not, but to answer the OP:

I do know one person who retired from a good job in federal law enforcement. He got bored apparently because the next time I saw him he was working at Target as the security guy who stands at the front of the store to make sure people don't want out with merchandise. (This was a few years ago, I don't know if they still have them but Target used to station them at the front of each store). I'm sure he got paid close to minimum wage with no retirement accrual or other benefits but I guess it helped him occupy his time.

I'd be interested to know if that guy regretted his decision or was happy with it. It might be that having a "job" without any real obligation, or with totally flexible hours, or only part-time, etc. is still preferable.

Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... » Mon May 15, 2017 11:36 am

I am currently in the grey-zone in-between having stopped working, and being off the books (i.e. No more benefits, pay, etc.). Should I ever experience any future regret at my decision to retire early, all I need to do is review the following list:

- Office Politics
- Ever-increasing scope / reduced resources
- Business Travel
- Salesforce.com
- Unnecessary Stress

That should immediately cure any and all regrets...

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Mon May 15, 2017 12:00 pm

Just sayin... wrote:I am currently in the grey-zone in-between having stopped working, and being off the books (i.e. No more benefits, pay, etc.). Should I ever experience any future regret at my decision to retire early, all I need to do is review the following list:

- Office Politics
- Ever-increasing scope / reduced resources
- Business Travel
- Salesforce.com
- Unnecessary Stress

That should immediately cure any and all regrets...

If you are financially independent most of those should be water off a duck's back.
Run, You Clever Boy!

MP173

Post by MP173 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:45 pm

Great topic. My wife is 9 working days from taking the early retirement and she (and I ) are very happy. I will keep working for a few years.

With her retirement pending (great offer of early retirement, the exit is huge), it has me questioning both her and myself about life in retirement. She has no plans, but will find "projects". She is very marketable and if she needs something to do, no doubt it will be easy to find. Meanwhile 2 grandkids and 1 more in transit will keep her busy.

For me, it will be much more interesting as I enjoy the job, the people, the social aspect, etc. As mentioned above, her decision has me thinking.

Thanks for all the input from others.

Ed

fantasytensai

Post by fantasytensai » Mon May 15, 2017 2:58 pm

I may be a little out of the norm here, but as a thirty year old who was always told (by parents growing up and then by wife after marriage) that I cannot play so much video games, I cannot possibly imagine being bored after retirement....I will finally have all the time in the world to play all the video games that I have shelves because I had to focus on school and career. I can't even fathom the idea of being bored.

Maybe I will think differently as I get older? Or maybe this is a fundamental difference between the previous generation and this generation?