Financial Armageddon Insurance - how to spend $100k

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Roberts111

Financial Armageddon Insurance - how to spend $100k

Post by Roberts111 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:52 pm

I am becoming more aware of economic warfare and risks to our financial system. However, I am not convinced that I need to go full survivalist. I think it is a growing risk that will continue with the increase convergence of big finance and technology.
My life plan A is to prepare for likely events - Retirement, Future Health Costs, Kids College, etc.
In addition, I have life insurance, auto insurance, house insurance, umbrella insurance, and a trust and will to give me peace of mind for unfortunate events.

I am curious if or how bogleheads insure themselves against a serious financial collapse in the US. I feel that Americans are uniquely optimistic and under-prepared for such events compared to citizens in other countries.
I currently live in the suburbs of a large city. If I am planning on allocating $100k over time towards such insurance, what would be the best way?
Some ideas I hear about are : precious metals, land, off-grid home, food/water storage, getting citizenship from another country.
Again, I don't want to make this my plan A, but want some moderate way to insure against a potential risk while continuing to pursue the most likely events that the current system will be in place.
How would you spend $100k?

Grt2bOutdoors

Re: Financial Armageddon Insurance - how to spend $100k

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:00 pm

Forget it - we live in an inter-connected world. When one domino falls, they will all fall.
As far as your metals, guns and butter theory - you'd better have an invisible shield that protects you 24/7/365 because if it ever comes down to it there just is not going to be enough time, ammo, food/water to protect you from a financial or human armageddon. You may want to buy some good hooch to soften the blow. :twisted:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:05 pm

There's no perfect security in life.

Off the grid house? Well, if things really collapse, who will protect your right to occupy that house? I suppose if you are willing to build one in a truly remote wilderness you might be safe, but do you really want to live off the land in a remote wilderness? That brings its own risks associated with isolation.

Guns 'n ammo? You are only one person (or family). In the end, if a sufficiently large group wants what you have and is willing to do violence to get it, you are probably going to lose it.

Gold? Who wants gold in a true crisis? And how do you use it to actually purchase things without infrastructure to weigh it, measure it, and keep it secure from thieves?

Food? Expensive to store and even canned good go bad after a few years. Same problems with security.

If you think the collapse will be localized to this country, I suppose you can diversify into other countries. But financial contagion tends to spread globally in the 21st century. Political risk is probably easier to insure against. I'm sure any Venezuelan with a green card or U.S. citizenship is very happy to have it right now. You'd need a lot more than $100k to buy citizenship anywhere desirable.
Last edited by alfaspider on Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:06 pm

Have you read Bernstein's "Deep Risk"?

It discusses the "4 Horsemen": Inflation, Deflation, Confiscation and Devastation
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:36 pm

For research, watch "The Walking Dead."

What preparation helped various parties and groups during that fictional societal collapse?

Localized economic disruption is much more likely than full on collapse. Think Hurricane Katrina, where the roads, power, and water are cut for weeks at a time. Or the Oil Embargo of the 70's. Or the Cascading Power Failure of the NE in 2003.

How would you handle those much more likely situations? What do you do for power, food, water, transportation, and security?

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:39 pm

wolf359 wrote:For research, watch "The Walking Dead."

What preparation helped various parties and groups during that fictional societal collapse?

Localized economic disruption is much more likely than full on collapse. Think Hurricane Katrina, where the roads, power, and water are cut for weeks at a time. Or the Oil Embargo of the 70's. Or the Cascading Power Failure of the NE in 2003.

How would you handle those much more likely situations? What do you do for power, food, water, transportation, and security?

+1 Food, Water, Guns & Ammo, Gasoline...those would be the only truely valuable items in an Armageddon. No way to plan. You can have a reasonable stock pile of those items (probably not gasoline). Probably don't have to spend $100k to get there.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead | | Want to buy something? Watch this first: https://vimeo.com/41152287

printer86

Post by printer86 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:54 pm

Ok, you want financial armageddon insurance. Give me that 100k and I'll insure you in the event of total financial armageddon. I'll give you my cell phone number so that you can call me when that event occurs. :D

taguscove

Post by taguscove » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:02 pm

bloom2708 wrote:

+1 Food, Water, Guns & Ammo, Gasoline...those would be the only truely valuable items in an Armageddon. No way to plan. You can have a reasonable stock pile of those items (probably not gasoline). Probably don't have to spend $100k to get there.

[local disruption]
+1 to everything said above. Also include medical supplies.
Water, Food, medicine, shelter (sleeping bags, thermal foil, tent), gasoline, Guns & Ammo in that order is what I would prioritize.
Spending $1000 on the above will easily put you in the top 1% in preparedness.

[global society collapse]
If there's a true global societal collapse, my preference is to die quickly. All financial assets would become worthless because those with arms would seize the assets. Even the physical preparations above likely won't offer much protection.

If you want to try to survive, an off the grid shelter in the Arctic Circle of Canada with ready helicopter transportation is my bet.

Coato

Post by Coato » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:18 pm

Read Cormac McCarthy's "The Road"... Does a great job of demonstrating how awful that world would be.

TX_Man

Post by TX_Man » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:20 pm

After Katrina it became clear individuals and families need a plan. Just a few days without modern luxuries and it was causing death.

1. Stored water rotated on a regular basis
2. Enough food for a few days
3. Protection
4. All your critical documentation and necessities in safe but easily accessible location that you can grab and go on short notice
5. Some cash on hand in case credit cards and ATMs are non-functioning
6. Lastly but most importantly, a plan with at least your immediate family members (if they are old enough to understand why, obviously)

I live in Houston and you better believe my family and I have a plan to get out in a quick manner if one of those category 5 hurricanes.

Small, local disasters are much more likely to occur.

anoop

Post by anoop » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:22 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:Forget it - we live in an inter-connected world. When one domino falls, they will all fall.
As far as your metals, guns and butter theory - you'd better have an invisible shield that protects you 24/7/365 because if it ever comes down to it there just is not going to be enough time, ammo, food/water to protect you from a financial or human armageddon. You may want to buy some good hooch to soften the blow. :twisted:

unless you're living off the grid in some remote place. but then there is nothing to prepare for because that is your life already. :)

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:26 pm

bloom2708 wrote:

Few other things on that list:

- pharmaceuticals - from banal OTC to prescription. Antibiotics in particular. Medical supplies in general (bandages etc.)

- alcohol - humans like to drink. Armageddon won't stop that ;-).

- batteries - so many useful things only function with batteries, and they are easy to trade

- shoes, or an ability to repair same. It's possible that the Battle of Gettysburg was lost because Confederate soldiers lacked shoes

- warm clothes

I'd add razor blades, but agree that's a luxury.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Roberts111 wrote:I am becoming more aware of economic warfare and risks to our financial system. However, I am not convinced that I need to go full survivalist. I think it is a growing risk that will continue with the increase convergence of big finance and technology.
My life plan A is to prepare for likely events - Retirement, Future Health Costs, Kids College, etc.
In addition, I have life insurance, auto insurance, house insurance, umbrella insurance, and a trust and will to give me peace of mind for unfortunate events.

I am curious if or how bogleheads insure themselves against a serious financial collapse in the US. I feel that Americans are uniquely optimistic and under-prepared for such events compared to citizens in other countries.

No. In fact there are probably more survivalists in America than any other country.

If you get to Eastern Europe, where people lived through the collapse of communism, people often have local plots that they tend and know how to forage in the forest for edible mushrooms and fruits etc.

I currently live in the suburbs of a large city. If I am planning on allocating $100k over time towards such insurance, what would be the best way?
Some ideas I hear about are : precious metals, land, off-grid home, food/water storage, getting citizenship from another country.
Again, I don't want to make this my plan A, but want some moderate way to insure against a potential risk while continuing to pursue the most likely events that the current system will be in place.
How would you spend $100k?

You can't do it. Because unless you live totally isolated (then what happens when you break your leg?) people are going to come and take that from you. Your best bet is to live in a community, where you are well known and have participated in Volunteer Fire Department etc. Small communities, well organized, might do better than most.

Read "Lucifer's Hammer" by Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven, for some ideas (giant meteor hits the earth and vaporizes a big chunk of ocean, survivors from LA rally in the mountains). "Alas Babylon" by Pat Frank is a 1950s take on same.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:42 pm

You can buy citizenship on the island of Dominica for 126K USD plus fees.
It was only 100K USD a few years ago. There are other island nations that grant citizenship for a fee, but they're more money. https://www.dominicacitizenship.com
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
On the turntable: Johnny Cash: Ring of Fire

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:46 pm

Just curious, who's peddling these fears to you?

Post by 123 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:54 pm

The most effective measures to take in your situation may be to relocate soon to a rural area where you can have animals (cows, chickens, pigs) on your property as well as sufficient acreage for them to graze and for you to raise necessary household crops. Such a move might necessitate some changes in your career goals or plans but peace-of-mind does provide a big payoff.

I don't think that buying insurance for protection for a financial armageddon is a reasonable alternative, the insurance companies would likely be among the financial institutions that fail.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:09 pm

I succumbed to some of these fears after 2008. Lessons learned:
- It's not practical to hoard very much food for a true TEOTWAWKI event, it will go bad eventually. Some sects do preach a 1-yr supply of food, but then you'll need to also eat part of that hoard regularly in order to keep the supply fresh. My family would revolt if they had to eat "Mountain House" every week! :mrgreen: I now keep a few cases of MREs on hand in case there is a local disaster (ie. Earthquake out here in CA) and eat some of them when we go camping, but I don't have anything beyond this. Besides, any avid Costco shopper is likely to have several cases of food/drink in the garage without even trying.
- It's best not to get too conservative with investments. I pulled my 401k into a "safe" haven following the crash. It turns out ended missing much of the market growth because of this move! Let it ride out the storm.
- History has ups and downs. You cannot control it.

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:13 pm

Roberts111 wrote:I feel that Americans are uniquely optimistic and under-prepared for such events compared to citizens in other countries.

Have you ever spent years living in another country? I'm curious why you'd say this.

I've spent over a decade living in several countries outside of the US and I would disagree 100% with your statement. I'd say it is the complete opposite. Americans are the only people on the planet I've met who fixate on these doomsday scenarios (and sometimes seemingly secretly hope for them to come true).

With all insurance, first you need to become clear in your own mind what you are protecting against. You started out by talking about "economic warfare" (I'm not quite sure what it is but presumably would be something like the embargoes that Cuba, Iran, Libya and other places have endured) but come up with mitigation strategies that are more suited for a zombie apocalypse movie.

Roberts111

Post by Roberts111 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:08 pm

AlohaJoe wrote:Have you ever spent years living in another country? I'm curious why you'd say this.

I have not lived in another country, but have spent considerable time in Indonesia and a couple others over the years. The Indonesians I know have money stored in different currencies plus gold and the wealthier ones have a second life set up in Singapore if the need arises. This was helpful in the 1998 crisis. The Rupiah still has not recovered relative to USD.
The statement that Americans are optimistic is based on personal experience. Some Americans are fixated on doomsday scenarios I guess. However, I don't personally know any except what I see on Discovery Channel. Most of the people I know have a high trust with their government and an overly optimistic view that things will be alright which may also describe their low savings/overspending habits.

AlohaJoe wrote:With all insurance, first you need to become clear in your own mind what you are protecting against. You started out by talking about "economic warfare" (I'm not quite sure what it is but presumably would be something like the embargoes that Cuba, Iran, Libya and other places have endured) but come up with mitigation strategies that are more suited for a zombie apocalypse movie.

By "economic warfare" I refer to some intentional black swan event. Something like in Paulson's memoir where Russia tried to join with China to dump Fanny and Freddie bonds at the height of the '08 crisis.. Or a cyber attack coordinated with something like the above.
I would want to insure against both massive deflation and hyper inflation as I see potential for both scenarios. I just don't see how we could ward off another '08-like crisis with the current level of public debt. If we try through more rounds of QE, then I see hyper-inflation as a potential risk.
"Zombie apocalypse" sounds a bit extreme. But higher unemployment, protests leading to political change, and worse crime is a scenario I could see erupt.
The ideas above were to escape any social/political unrest that would follow a financial collapse.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:28 pm

If you DIY you could probably build a half decent Fallout shelter for $100k. And stock it with canned food, guns and ammo.

I love the comment on "who's peddling these fears?" There's tons of books, movies and TV shows on this topic. For example "The Road", "The Walking Dead", "Mad Max", "The 100", "Contagion", "28 days", just to name a few. Probably influenced by people growing up during WW1, WW2 and the Cold War. I think "Contagion" is one of the more likely scenarios in which case a shelter won't help you very much. But I don't really worry about it because that'd be completely out of my control. I appreciate and support efforts like the CDC and our doctors and healthcare system though.

A major solar storm could lead to significant disruptions but I think we could recover fairly quickly from that.

You could work on your survival skills, hunting and crafting. As long as you do it for fun as a hobby and don't spiral down into paranoia then it's probably not too harmful.

But I think you'd be far better off investing the money in VTSAX and learning some skills as a hobby if that interests you, rather than building a Fallout shelter. :)
Last edited by finite_difference on Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Roberts111

Post by Roberts111 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:31 pm

Jeff Albertson wrote:Just curious, who's peddling these fears to you?

After '08 crisis I decided that after getting my plan A on track, I would do what I could to help soften the results of the next crisis. I remember the fear in '08 of the unknown future.
I've read the usual guys that I know are controversial here - James Rickards, Doug Casey, Peter Schiff, etc. They often peddle fear to sell newsletters/books, yet I think they make some great points concerning systematic risk.
I don't trust them enough to change my retirement savings, but the way I see it is why not set aside a limited pre-defined amount to allocate in case they are right? If they are wrong, many of things purchased still have value (gold, land, etc.)

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:35 pm

Roberts111 wrote:I have not lived in another country, but have spent considerable time in Indonesia and a couple others over the years. The Indonesians I know have money stored in different currencies plus gold and the wealthier ones have a second life set up in Singapore if the need arises.

Sure, I live in Vietnam and people also often keep gold or the rich ones buy apartments in Vancouver/Sydney/London. But the motivations for the rich and the less rich are very different. The rich people I know in Southeast Asia aren't buying overseas property because they are worried about economic warfare in the home country; they're worried about political risk.

No one in Southeast Asia ever stores water or food or buys land off the grid. Even after living through the Asian crisis, people here don't seem to think that's a reasonable response to fears about financial crises of the future.

That's what I meant by becoming clear about what risk you're worried about so you can make sure you match the mitigation strategy to the risk. As a first step, I'd look at economic problems that have actually happened around the world, how real people have dealt with them, and use that as a source for ideas.

For instance, in Venezuela today storing water or food or having land off the grid wouldn't have helped much that I can see. I'd be looking at places like Venezuela and Zimbabwe to see what strategies people ended up adopting.

In general, it seems like to truly weather a real crisis would require such a substantial amount of insurance that it would cripple your future in any non-crisis scenario. How much stored food would a Venezuelan have needed? How much stored water would a Haitian have needed? How much hidden gold would a Zimbabwean have needed?

Roberts111

Post by Roberts111 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:59 pm

AlohaJoe wrote:That's what I meant by becoming clear about what risk you're worried about so you can make sure you match the mitigation strategy to the risk. As a first step, I'd look at economic problems that have actually happened around the world, how real people have dealt with them, and use that as a source for ideas.

Good point about identifying the actual risk. I know that many Argentinians went to Spain, Indonesians to Singapore, and I have a Yugoslavian friend that left when his country was in turmoil. So I guess the real threat is social upheaval in which case going somewhere else is the preferred strategy for those that can afford it.

As others said, food, water, etc. is good to mitigate local risks (earthquakes, hurricanes, etc.). This wasn't my original post but wouldn't be bad as it is relatively inexpensive.

bberris

Post by bberris » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:09 am

TX_Man wrote:After Katrina it became clear individuals and families need a plan. Just a few days without modern luxuries and it was causing death.

1. Stored water rotated on a regular basis
2. Enough food for a few days
3. Protection
4. All your critical documentation and necessities in safe but easily accessible location that you can grab and go on short notice
5. Some cash on hand in case credit cards and ATMs are non-functioning
6. Lastly but most importantly, a plan with at least your immediate family members (if they are old enough to understand why, obviously)

I live in Houston and you better believe my family and I have a plan to get out in a quick manner if one of those category 5 hurricanes.

Small, local disasters are much more likely to occur.

This brings up another disaster -- man-caused. The hurricane that missed Houston after Katrina caused widespread panic with massive traffic jams, no gas available anywhere, thousands of abandoned cars and boats! on the highways and rescues on the highway. And it was all unnecessary; only small parts of Houston would have flooded. The point is don't let fear and panic of an extremely unlikely event disrupt your normal, expected future.

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:07 am

alfaspider wrote:Guns 'n ammo? You are only one person (or family). In the end, if a sufficiently large group wants what you have and is willing to do violence to get it, you are probably going to lose it.

The obvious answer to that: join or start your own militia now! Or start your own cult, if you have the necessary charisma. If you've already got your own private army, you're well prepared :twisted:

harvestbook

Post by harvestbook » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:19 am

This assumes you can even imagine the risk. Hardly anyone prepares for plausible but highly unlikely events such as a solar flare. People who spend decades planning their seven-figure retirement accounts in a digital format don't give a passing thought to what would happen if there were no banks for a week--much less ever again. As they say, it's the one you don't see coming that gets you.

That said, I think it's a reasonable act of personal responsibility to make minimal preparations. Once you get past the glorified American myth of self-reliance, you'll never have enough guns, bullets, and beans to defend yourself alone in your bunker. As Valuethinker said, you will need a community. I stockpiled basic needs to get through the first wave of a disaster of any level, and now rarely think about it. If you survive that short-term, you will need some help. Get to know your neighbors.

William Fortschen's One Second After series is another good, plausible look at a society after a grid collapse from an EMP attack. Suffice to say, money is the least valuable commodity you could possess. Skills, teamwork, and a positive spirit would go farther than paranoia and fear. Plan for the best and plan for the worst and reality will likely fall somewhere in between.
I'm not smart enough to know, and I can't afford to guess.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:56 am

Agree with the others - this is a fools errand. If the world goes Mad Max, there will be hoards of well armed starving people fighting to take your stash. All you are doing is delaying hte inevitable.

And that's assuming you want to live in such an environment - as has been pointed out the best option may well be to keep financial reserves to buy yourself an escape to a "better" region. Which region is best is hard to predict before a black swan event actually happens.

Better use of the resources is to be prepared for short term disruptions like Katrina or the big ice storm that left people without power for weeks in New England. FEMA actually recommends all families keep a 2 week supply of food, water and basic necessities on hand. 99% of people dont do this and are in serious trouble in less than 3 days.

I keep on hand: An expedition class first aid kit, 2 -5 gallon water jugs , a decent amount of food staples (things we eat anyway), plus I have a wood stove for heat with enough firewood on hand to last an entire winter and a small generator that can run critical loads with a 2 5 gallon cans of gas in the garage - enough to run it 1-2 hour/ day for a week or two (which is enough to keep the fridge cold, make hot water).

All of this costs just a fraction of your 100k and with the exception of the generator they are items that get used anyway.

mrb09

Post by mrb09 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:51 am

Agree 100% with previous posters who've said if you're going to prepare for a disaster, prepare for a local one. It sure looks like we're in for more major weather events.

I've been pretty fortunate, but I have gone through the '89 Loma Prieta earthquake while I was living in the Santa Cruz mountains, and I live now in the California Sierras where blizzards and fires can cause multi-day disruptions.

Some things I haven't heard mentioned:

- Cash on hand, including small bills. In an extended power outage, some businesses may be open but they'll be doing transactions with cash by hand, and will have limited change.

- A chainsaw to deal with down trees

- Alternative heat sources like a wood stove were mentioned, and I second that for cooking sources.

- Water has been mentioned, I would rate that as priority 1-5. It's one thing to have to have water be temporary non-potable, another to lose all your water. Thought I was safe with a well until the pipes broke in an earthquake :)

So back your original question, if you're worried about a really extended breakdown of services and have money to invest, I'd invest in hybrid solar for off-grid electricity, water storage, and a wood stove. If there's an event significant enough to require you to abandon your home and you can't stay in a hotel, I'm guessing gold won't help and your off-grid home is probably occupied.

Ged

Post by Ged » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:53 am

We went through 2 weeks of no electricity post - Sandy.

Cash on hand was important because the financial network was dead. No credit cards no ATMs.

Water and natural gas were ok. Gasoline was an issue because gas stations didn't have emergency generators and the generator I had at the time ran off gasoline. Now I have a tri-fuel generator.

No phone service - cell towers and land lines were down. No internet. The hubs only had an hour or two of battery backup.

The neighbors were great. We shared everything.

The reaction of the government was amazing. They were airlifting in bucket trucks from everywhere into airbases in NJ - we saw plates on trucks from Saskatchewan. Companies like Home Depot stepped up big too. Fedex was out delivering stuff two days after the storm too.

I think local disasters are likely to be short term and you can muddle through ok. Keeping some cash on hand is about the only thing I would consider.

A national collapse of a nation with the resources the US is crazy talk. The value of the land and natural resources the government owns is 10 times the debt.

I think the only threat that could overwhelm us is nuclear war. There is a good debate as to whether or not you would want to survive that.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:48 pm

If you are talking just financial collapse with only a moderate amount of civil unrest that wouldn't necessitate prepper level stuff then I'd buy physical gold, silver, and have a stack of $20's on hand.