What kind of stuff would you never DIY, assuming you could?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
carolinaman

Re: What kind of stuff would you never DIY, assuming you could?

Post by carolinaman » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:28 am

When I was working, I worked really long hours and did not have time to do much around the house or with cars. In retirement, I do my own lawn care, painting, minor plumbing/electrical/etc., but hire other stuff. I do my own taxes (using TT), investments, and financial/retirement planning although I have used Fidelity and Vanguard for financial planning.

I did replace my roof at age 60 on a 90 degree day and swore I would never do that again. At age 72, I am reluctant to get on roof or high ladders. Last time I painted the house, I used scaffolding which was much safer. I have used chainsaws a lot in earlier years but will no longer do that - they are too dangerous.

I would never do DIY brain surgery although I have known a few people whom I suspected may have.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:30 am

spammagnet wrote:I doubt he was doing it to save money. More likely, as a distraction from the stresses of his day job.

My next door neighbor is a semi-retired anesthesiologist. When he went part time he bought a lawn tractor and canceled his mowing service. His lawn doesn't look that great but he sure looks happy steaming around on his tractor.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:33 am

jebmke wrote:
spammagnet wrote:I doubt he was doing it to save money. More likely, as a distraction from the stresses of his day job.

My next door neighbor is a semi-retired anesthesiologist. When he went part time he bought a lawn tractor and canceled his mowing service. His lawn doesn't look that great but he sure looks happy steaming around on his tractor.

It's probably a really nice tractor. :D

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:48 am

jebmke wrote:

Tell him he needs to edge the lawn also to make it look good. :happy

gasdoc

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:53 am

Will not climb a 30 foot ladder to work on a pitched roof or clean gutters. Not worth a broken back or worse.
While I can change lighting fixtures, switches and sockets, I will not rewire or touch main panel - it only takes one spark to end it all.
Human surgery involving internal organs or internal plumbing. (basically 99% of surgery).
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:53 am

Plumbing. I absolutely hate plumbing, can never get it where water doesn't leak. It's not hyperbole when I say that I would rather go to the dentist to get my teeth cleaned than try to do plumbing in my house.

Electrical doesn't bother me, I understand it and have done some repairs at home and in the workplace. But I have no talent for plumbing, and I know it.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:55 am

gasdoc wrote:
jebmke wrote:

Tell him he needs to edge the lawn also to make it look good. :happy

gasdoc

That ^, he also needs to add lime and fertilizer in the spring, fertilizer in late spring, fertilizer in fall, winterguard in late fall, rake the leaves, but most important of all - water the lawn!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:57 am

Very few people water lawns in my area. Not sure why, water table is OK and wells are not deep. Lawns tend to be large so that may be it. If you keep the grass cut fairly long and otherwise healthy, grass can last a long time without rain. It will brown off a bit but when the rains come, it will bounce back.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:58 am

spammagnet wrote:
msk wrote:... In my younger days I was surprised that a neurologist friend was spending his time on a lot of semi manual labor. E.g. landscaping and endless weekends restoring a Jaguar E-Type. What a waste, although an absorbing hobby. ... Difficult to price hobbies right...

I doubt he was doing it to save money. More likely, as a distraction from the stresses of his day job. People who do things as a hobby usually don't evaluate them from an economic perspective, other than affordability.

+1 Hobbies dont exist for financial gain. They are for personal enjoyment.

In my day job I work in a large software company and stare at computer screens all day. In my free time I build model airplanes, work on the house, chop firewood, play ball with the kids. The last thing I want to do "for fun" is something directly related to my job.

I have programmer colleagues who will speand a beatiful summer weekend sitting in their basement submitting code to open source projects.... never understood that.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:01 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:That ^, he also needs to add lime and fertilizer in the spring, fertilizer in late spring, fertilizer in fall, winterguard in late fall, rake the leaves, but most important of all - water the lawn!

None of that is necessary. Scotts want you to think that adding an oil refinery worth of chemicals and depleting your local aquifer to make it grow unnaturally fast is good - but the only thing its good for is their profit margin.

Mulch mowing the clippings an leaves in place provides most of the nutrients that you lawn needs. Then get you your soil tested and only add what is necessary - I just use a natural fertilizer 1-2x a year to help the thin spots fill in and lime only seems to be needed every 2-3 years based on my soil tests.

You can skip the watering and just live with a little brown in August. the lawn will recover and you wont have to mow nearly as often.
Last edited by jharkin on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

jambadoc

Post by jambadoc » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:03 am

I'm pretty handy and do lots of stuff around the house (simple electrical - switches, light fixtures, etc, replaced control panel and dispenser on our refrigerator, replaced toilets, painting, pool cleaning, etc.).

The things I either won't do, or don't have time to learn about are:

1: HVAC repair - other than changing filters and occasionally vacuuming out condensation line - FL has algae problems)
2: Yard work/Spraying/Landscaping - I don't mind it, and do an occasional project, but don't have the time and it's brutal in the FL summer.
3: Auto Repair: Blessed to find a mechanic who seems like a straight shooter and will actually tell me when NOT to fix something. Worth his weight in gold.
4: Drywall/heavy construction/Tile: Just don't have the time or inclination

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:07 am

Painting. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

I've done my share, but I tended to agonize over any imperfections. So I was seldom happy with my work. So I stopped long before I could no longer paint.

OTOH, I can chalk up imperfections by others, such as pro painters, to just typical poor craftsmanship one sometimes receives from tradespeople.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

High Income Parent

Post by High Income Parent » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:11 am

Transmission work. I did it once and it is worth every penny to pay someone else.

Also tree trimming. Knowing myself, I'll reach too far or try some crazy balancing act and end up falling 20 feet.
Children are not a distraction from more important work. They are the most important work. | | C. S. Lewis

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:14 am

jharkin wrote:
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:That ^, he also needs to add lime and fertilizer in the spring, fertilizer in late spring, fertilizer in fall, winterguard in late fall, rake the leaves, but most important of all - water the lawn!

None of that is necessary. Scotts want you to think that adding an oil refinery worth of chemicals and depleting your local aquifer to make it grow unnaturally fast is good - but the only thing its good for is their profit margin.

Mulch mowing the clippings an leaves in place provides most of the nutrients that you lawn needs. Then get you your soil tested and only add what is necessary - I just use a natural fertilizer 1-2x a year to help the thin spots fill in and lime only seems to be needed every 2-3 years based on my soil tests.

You can skip the watering and just live with a little brown in August. the lawn will recover and you wont have to mow nearly as often.

Maybe I'll skip the fertilizer and just buy some SMG - so I can let others pay me instead? :greedy

jambadoc

Post by jambadoc » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:29 am

High Income Parent wrote:Transmission work. I did it once and it is worth every penny to pay someone else.

Also tree trimming. Knowing myself, I'll reach too far or try some crazy balancing act and end up falling 20 feet.

Ooh. Tree trimming is another good one. Six live oaks in our yard. I'm happy to not do that one either. :D

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:54 am

JGoneRiding wrote:I feel the need to point out that plumers don't do gas lines. Just saying. I do agree with gas line sentiment plumving on the other hand is fairly easy. I don't diy it when it is hard to get to

Except for some very minor outdoor work I did myself (installing an extension, valve, and quick disconnect on a pre-existing pipe), 100% of all the gas piping work I've ever had done was by a plumber. I've never even heard of a gas-only pipefitter.

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:02 am

+1. I would normally find one post I agree with, but in this case, I agree with them all!!!! :sharebeer

gasdoc

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:01 am

I don't think there's anything I categorically wouldn't do, but I find that since my son was born I'm more open to farming out work. I used to take pride in DIYing almost everything, but If I continued to do that I'd be left with no leisure time at all and a long list of un-done tasks.

That said, time aside, tasks that take a high degree of manual skill and are mission critical I always leave to professionals. For example, when I had a roll cage fabricated for my track car, I sent it to a professional fabrication shop. No matter how much I might try to practice welding, there's just no way my welds would ever be as high quality as someone who welds for a living. I have terrible hand-eye coordination.

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:06 am

- $125k of my FI budget is to have a cleaning lady forever.
- I don't paint anymore. I did it when I was young and poor, and you could tell it was DIY. I love smooth, seamless walls.
- I have a bad back, so I don't shovel, rake, or move heavy things.

My motto is outsource if someone can do it better at a price I find reasonable.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:46 pm

jambadoc wrote:
High Income Parent wrote:

Ooh. Tree trimming is another good one. Six live oaks in our yard. I'm happy to not do that one either. :D

I could trim my tree - I could do it all from a ladder, not too tall - but an reluctant to do it by myself. If I had another person they could make sure the branches didn't hit the house or fence. Every year the tree gets larger and d-i-y becomes less practical.

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:53 pm

my leading contender is "dusting".

hightower

Post by hightower » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:44 pm

I do a lot of DIY stuff around my house. Its an 1885 Victorian home and it basically requires constant attention. I personally love the work, so I don't mind it. I just installed a new staircase in the basement and I'm currently working on restoring the original windows. I've done everything from electrical (just installed a EV charging station for instance), to plumbing, to flooring, installed my own tankless water heater, basic carpentry, kitchen remodel, etc. But, there are certain times its just not worth my time. My philosophy is that if I can pay someone to do it better than I can, I usually will. For instance, anything that requires a lot of skill/years of experience to do nicely (such as tile work, fine carpentry, plaster repair and I don't mean drywall, and masonry). For example, we're hiring someone this summer to install a new walkway out front, repair a retaining wall, and tuck point a portion of the foundation. We're also going to get the whole building painted by a professional. Those are things that require a lot of hours and prior experience to do right so its worth paying to have it done.

msk

Post by msk » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:24 am

remomnyc wrote:- $125k of my FI budget is to have a cleaning lady forever.

Love that! Come to think of it, it's not exorbitantly expensive @, say $500/month. All BHs ought to include that when working out how much they need for FI :sharebeer

ncbill

Post by ncbill » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:20 pm

No heights, not anymore.

Had uncles on both sides of the family who fell off ladders - one shattered both ankles, the other both wrists.

Worked construction through college (paid the most for unskilled labor) and I can't believe the risks I took back then.

E.g. on top of a 3-story roof, no harness, in pre-dawn twilight (too hot to work past 11am)

Wabbit

Post by Wabbit » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:40 pm

BHUser27 reminded me of this:

panhead

Post by panhead » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:49 pm

I will no longer snake or work on the main sewer line connected to my house. I've done it in the past when I had less money, but I'm all done with that....YUCK!

The rest of the pipes I have no problem with......