Int. Mobile Service with T Mobile Simple Choice

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
frequentT

Int. Mobile Service with T Mobile Simple Choice

Post by frequentT » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:33 pm

Dear Travelers,

We will be traveling in the European Union (mainly the Baltics) and want to use the T Mobile Simple Choice Plan (no credit check, post paid). As described in the T Mobile retail shop this plan will be ideal for us.

Unlimited Data (though 3G speed)
unlimited SMS
free incoming & outgoing voice calls to USA
foreign calls $0.20/min

We like our current ATT Plan, so we will remove our sim card and put the T Mobile sim into our unlocked iphone. We tested this in the retail shop and it worked. We will use the T Mobile Plan for our trip and then swap our cards out.

We have used local telecom sims in the past, but we don't want the hassle across 5 countries.

Has anyone used this plan in the EU? How did it work for you?

Thank you!

Jags4186

Re: Int. Mobile Service with T Mobile Simple Choice

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:52 pm

You only get 2G speeds, 128kbps max, with their standard international roaming fair. $0.20/minute also. Plenty fine if you are just going to use it for google maps (download maps offline so you don't need to load them) and e-mail. Not very good if you plan on surfing the web on your device at all.

Another option is Google ProjectFi which is $20 Unlimited text, $0.20/minute + $10 per GB 3G speeds pretty much anywhere in the world.

frequentT

Post by frequentT » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:15 pm

Thank you for the feedback on T Mobile Int.. It sounds less than ideal, but workable. Last year I used an Orange plan that worked well for voice, but the data piece of the plan just was not enough GBs to do the job, and I ended up running out. The data top-up was not intuitive, plus the retail store sign up in Barcelona was time consuming.

I always try to avoid going into a telecom retail shop in USA and ex-USA. Almost never a good use of time. Mobile plan shopping in other countries can have their interesting moments...........Sometimes expectations are exceeded, like in Morocco, where you tons of data for a very cheap price. Just bought a sim card in a market stall, tested it, and voila!

Jags advised to load maps offline. What is the best strategy to do that? Where are they stored on an iphone? How do you access and use in-country?

Thanks!

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:34 pm

With Simple Choice you'll get 3G in almost all European countries, sometimes higher speeds. We've used before and no problems. Google and Apple maps worked fine, streaming songs, email and most web browsing. I don't recall streaming any extended video, bit overall was very happy with the service. You can go onto T-Mobiles website and check the data speeds for any of the countries you'll be visiting. With free texts, we made few actual calls, but $.20/minute wasn't an issue for the few short calls we made. This was with T-Mobile phones, not a separate SIM card.

We used to have AT&T, but switched two years ago because their international costs were so high. We've been very happy since, and it's nice whenever we arrive at a foreign country getting a T-Moble text advising that it's covered under the Simple Choice plan.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:43 pm

frequentT wrote:Thank you for the feedback on T Mobile Int.. It sounds less than ideal, but workable. Last year I used an Orange plan that worked well for voice, but the data piece of the plan just was not enough GBs to do the job, and I ended up running out. The data top-up was not intuitive, plus the retail store sign up in Barcelona was time consuming.

I always try to avoid going into a telecom retail shop in USA and ex-USA. Almost never a good use of time. Mobile plan shopping in other countries can have their interesting moments...........Sometimes expectations are exceeded, like in Morocco, where you tons of data for a very cheap price. Just bought a sim card in a market stall, tested it, and voila!

Jags advised to load maps offline. What is the best strategy to do that? Where are they stored on an iphone? How do you access and use in-country?

Thanks!

There's an app called "city 2go" which I use for all my offline mapping needs. It even has points of interest so you don't need any data connection but can type in the names of restaurants etc. and get turn by turn navigation.

You can also download areas in google maps which I'm sure works well too, but my experience is with city 2go and I have been very pleased.

frequentT

Post by frequentT » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:29 pm

This feedback is very helpful!

The folks in the T Mobile retail store researched the speeds for me and found 3G in the Baltic cities, 2G in rural areas. This is plenty good for our use.

We will have a domestic trial period with the T Mobile plan pay-go plan. If it works out, we may switch. However, ATT has offered better pricing at the moment. I appreciate T Mobile's aggressive competition in the market. They make it better for all users.

I will set up city2go and practice a bit before we leave.