Do you have an umbrella policy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
marcopolo

Re: Do you have an umbrella policy?

Post by marcopolo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:30 am

BogleFanGal wrote:Wish I could get some of these low umbrella rates other people are paying...mine is $330 for only 1m and I called around - that was the cheapest and includes the discount from home/auto with same carrier. Tried to get 2m and it MORE than doubled. :shock:

Unfortunately I'm in a HCOL area, one of the highest-cost insurance areas in U.S. for both auto and home AND a highly-litigious state - triple whammy. :annoyed But I keep telling myself it's still a smart move and reasonably priced policy to keep, given the scary alternative. Luckily our state excludes retirement and home from legal judgments, so that's something, I guess.

I had the same thought. Many (most?) of the stated rates seems WAY lower than what i am paying. I pay about $900 for $2M policy.
I was paying about $200 for $1M policy, then i went to $2M and added a teen driver at the same time. Not sure which had the bigger impact.

Anyone out there getting lower rates with teen drivers? If so, what company?
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:55 am

I'm paying 355/yr for 2 million from state Farm. Just got the policy. Kids are both under 3. I assume my rate goes way up when they can drive. We have no previous accidents on our record though.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:24 am

marcopolo wrote:I had the same thought. Many (most?) of the stated rates seems WAY lower than what i am paying. I pay about $900 for $2M policy.
I was paying about $200 for $1M policy, then i went to $2M and added a teen driver at the same time. Not sure which had the bigger impact.

Rates are not surprising - it's all about increased risk factors. Living in SF is added risk factor. Driving 100k cars are higher risk factors. Having a $5mil Miami mansion ripe for wining and dining guests frequently, and thus higher liability of slip/fall lawsuits on property, is a higher risk factor. Adding (historically horrible driving) teenage drivers to your policies is a huge increased risk factor. Who is more likely to get into a high-risk accident speeding down the road while texting - you or your teen? I'm sure your auto policy is also far more expensive, as it should be. Just the way it is. If nothing else changed, then going from $1m to $2m should be less than double. But adding a teen is a different ballgame.
"I love competition. And I want to win." R. Murdoch

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:47 am

gunn_show wrote:
marcopolo wrote:I had the same thought. Many (most?) of the stated rates seems WAY lower than what i am paying. I pay about $900 for $2M policy.

Rates are not surprising - it's all about increased risk factors. Living in SF is added risk factor. Driving 100k cars are higher risk factors. Having a $5mil Miami mansion ripe for wining and dining guests frequently, and thus higher liability of slip/fall lawsuits on property, is a higher risk factor. Adding (historically horrible driving) teenage drivers to your policies is a huge increased risk factor. Who is more likely to get into a high-risk accident speeding down the road while texting - you or your teen? I'm sure your auto policy is also far more expensive, as it should be. Just the way it is. If nothing else changed, then going from $1m to $2m should be less than double. But adding a teen is a different ballgame.

Sure, but it would seem to make sense to be compare as a percentage on top of your existing policies. Those existing policies already take into account all those risk factors.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:48 am

boglerdude wrote:
deltaneutral83 wrote:So what happens in an unfortunate auto situation where you are at fault and the other car had 4 "high earners." They'd blow right through 10 million?

Option 1: Lawyer settles, collects your 1MM umbrella and underlying auto limit, and takes his ~33% contingency fee. $400k for a few days work.

Option 2: He sets aside $30k of his, to cover the costs of trial. It could be a year+ of litigation, and he needs the jury to award more than your insurance limits + his fees. And that you have enough assets.

Meanwhile you explain to the jury that many people choose to retire early, so there's no way to know how much those folks would earn over a lifetime. And you present your dash cam footage, showing that you were not texting, as an eye witness claimed.

If the jury awards more than your insurance, you go bankrupt and maybe keep retirement accounts and some home equity, depending on state.

Not a lawyer, so anyone please add to or correct.

Also not a lawyer. According to this, an auto suit averages 43K, and at the 75 percentile, costs 110K (per side!). And after 2 years of this torturous process, unless things are looking super rosy, the plaintiff's lawyer is probably going to be telling their client to settle and take the sure thing.
http://www.courtstatistics.org/~/media/ ... line2.ashx

Also, having the misfortune to be drafted into a jury for a week long civil trial, I was shocked to be instructed that the plaintiff only needs to convince the jury that it's more likely than not (>= 51% odds) in order to win their case. Preponderance of the evidence. Not 90% sure, not 80% sure, just 51%. The poor defendant won what seemed to most of us to be a frivolous suit, but even so, two jurors were favorable to the plaintiff's case. Afterwards, the judge said that meant it wasn't a frivolous suit. Shortly thereafter, I doubled my umbrella policy to 2M.
Last edited by random_walker_77 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:51 am

Nope. I am loathe to give money to an insurance company. Home insurance is all I willingly pay for. I get health and life through employer. When this job ends I will lose both: I'll probably get health but not life.

Disclaimer: please don't run me.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:06 am

BogleFanGal wrote:Wish I could get some of these low umbrella rates other people are paying...mine is $330 for only 1m and I called around - that was the cheapest and includes the discount from home/auto with same carrier. Tried to get 2m and it MORE than doubled. :shock:

Unfortunately I'm in a HCOL area, one of the highest-cost insurance areas in U.S. for both auto and home AND a highly-litigious state - triple whammy. :annoyed But I keep telling myself it's still a smart move and reasonably priced policy to keep, given the scary alternative. Luckily our state excludes retirement and home from legal judgments, so that's something, I guess.

Many factors go into the costs. I think our factors are very low risk (no teenage drivers, no power boat / watercraft, no airplanes) even though we do have a rental property.

We pay $135/yr for $1M of Umbrella coverage through Amica (just recently switched as we were paying around $145 with USAA).

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:09 am

Gadget wrote:I'm paying 355/yr for 2 million from state Farm. Just got the policy. Kids are both under 3. I assume my rate goes way up when they can drive. We have no previous accidents on our record though.

I think having the young kids also increases the cost slightly, because you are more likely to have friends bringing young kids over to your house - having a large dog or a pool in that situation probably results in a good jump in yearly fees.

scottwood2

Post by scottwood2 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:32 am

Thx to this post for the reminder. I have thought about getting this for some time now. Just sent email to my agent to get the process started. I have a few questions on this topic:

- Should the amount you insure for be tied to the total assets you have?
- Are there companies that specialize in this type of insurance? Sound like most just went with their home/auto insurance company.

Thx

queso

Post by queso » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:01 pm

scottwood2 wrote:Thx to this post for the reminder. I have thought about getting this for some time now. Just sent email to my agent to get the process started. I have a few questions on this topic:

- Should the amount you insure for be tied to the total assets you have?
- Are there companies that specialize in this type of insurance? Sound like most just went with their home/auto insurance company.

Thx

IMHO, not directly tied, but they should be correlated. If you are worth 50k then I see no point in a $3MM umbrella policy. They will be happy to get whatever settlement they can out of your $1MM or lower policy and won't bother risking litigation to go after personal assets. If you are worth $3MM+ then I think you can make a strong case to get $3-5MM of umbrella coverage because it becomes a much more attractive proposition to not accept a settlement from the $1MM or lower policy and come after personal assets. I also suspect that the insurance company hates to lose money so with the higher dollar policies I hope they are more likely to assign you their top legal folks should you end up in a situation that could end up in a big payout. Hopefully that also works to reduce the likelihood of the other side deciding to roll the dice and skip the settlement.

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:41 pm

Well - my husband and I have a spotless driving record, own a small starter house in a suburban neighborhood, have no kids, no pool, no other issues whatsoever and drive two older cheap cars. Yet pay 329 for 1m and was quoted 700+ for 2m. Unfortunately there are a LOT of folks like you described above - and we are penalized for their higher liability. My agent said we're among the highest lawsuit and fraud-related areas in the nation.
Last edited by BogleFanGal on Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alskar

Post by Alskar » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:51 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:The good news is that if you're a good little boglehead and have been maxing out your retirement accounts, then even if you are successfully sued for $500 Million, in most states you get to at least keep your retirement accounts!
I think that's only true for 401k or 403b accounts, not for rollover IRA's. This is one of the reasons people cite for keeping your money in a 401k instead of rolling it over.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure about a dozen people will correct me. :D
Lagom är bäst

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:52 pm

Alskar wrote:
White Coat Investor wrote:The good news is that if you're a good little boglehead and have been maxing out your retirement accounts, then even if you are successfully sued for $500 Million, in most states you get to at least keep your retirement accounts!
I think that's only true for 401k or 403b accounts, not for rollover IRA's. This is one of the reasons people cite for keeping your money in a 401k instead of rolling it over.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure about a dozen people will correct me. :D

Outside of bankruptcy, it's up to state, most states do... some are more clear and absolute regarding it, here's a state by state rundown citing relevent statute in each state:
http://moranknobel.com/news/State_Laws_ ... g_IRAs.pdf

If you file bankruptcy there are federal laws that kick in and exempt an amount that's somewhere around $1,283,025 (it's inflation indexed to a million dolars several years back). That amount can be over and above the amount rolled over from a 401k, but it's very important to be able to show what amounts are from a 401k rollover (that may maintain the ERISA exemption) and the amounts that are from traditional IRA contributions (some suggest to keep the money in seperate IRAs and not commingle them if this is at all a concern)
http://www.thebankruptcysite.org/resour ... ruptcy.htm

Also of note, is there are attempts to change/update the exemptions in some states (like California SB 308)
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/face ... 20160SB308 ... (passed by California assembly but can't get through the state Senate)
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

boglebrain

Post by boglebrain » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:04 pm

We have one and pay $2200 for a $10M policy.

I actually just researched this and found another firm offering it at $750!!! And they only require home and not auto...their auto is much much more than my current insurance.

I've seen advice that you need to have umbrella in excess of your assets. However the prices go up very steeply above $10M...like $3k for $15M and $6k for $20M. This may sound absurd to most but if you live in a HCOL area and do have a car accident with 4 neurosurgeons and you include all assets and future wages judgements above $10M could happen. Are there others here who have or would want to go above typical maximum of $10M you can get from most mainstream insurance companies. I guess the question is if judgements above $10M do happen and at what rate. Any thoughts or advice?

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:18 pm

boglebrain wrote:We have one and pay $2200 for a $10M policy.

I actually just researched this and found another firm offering it at $750!!! And they only require home and not auto...their auto is much much more than my current insurance.

I've seen advice that you need to have umbrella in excess of your assets. However the prices go up very steeply above $10M...like $3k for $15M and $6k for $20M. This may sound absurd to most but if you live in a HCOL area and do have a car accident with 4 neurosurgeons and you include all assets and future wages judgements above $10M could happen. Are there others here who have or would want to go above typical maximum of $10M you can get from most mainstream insurance companies. I guess the question is if judgements above $10M do happen and at what rate. Any thoughts or advice?

Big judgements happen, (here's an attorney promoting some of his big judgement win, one was for $100,000,000 from a pit bull attack http://callsam.com/verdicts-and-settlements/ ) ... but this is way down the list of things people lose money over. Medical Bills (even for people that have insurance) seem to be the number one reason people file for bankruptcy.
I think the idea of having an umbrella policy, is to have it big enough so the insurance company has a vested reason to provide you a very very good legal defense. Beyond that though, you can't insure against everything. If you're concerned about liability law suits, you need to be talking to an asset protection attorney and planning before something happens.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:31 pm

I was on the phone with USAA yesterday. My umbrella is $315 a year for $2M. $3M would be $420 and $5M would be $620.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:18 pm

Got our upgrade quotes (State Farm) yesterday.

$250 for $2 million and $500 for $5 million.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:56 am

JoMoney wrote:Big judgements happen, (here's an attorney promoting some of his big judgement win, one was for $100,000,000 from a pit bull attack

Note that it says "Default Judgment". That means the defendant didn't show up and probably can't be found or has no money. Most large judgments immediately go to appeals and either get knocked down or settled at a more reasonable level.
This week's fortune cookie: "The stock market may be your ticket to success." I sure hope so!

jimmyrules712

Post by jimmyrules712 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:13 pm

I recently signed up for a $1 million umbrella policy for the first time and actually saved money overall doing it by lowering my auto and home liability coverage to the minimum required for the umbrella to kick in (they were above that minimum before) and raising the deductibles a bit.

I'm in my early 30's and just starting to build up assets. I'll probably increase it to $2-3 million in a few years.

dave_k

Post by dave_k » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:06 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
gasdoc wrote:
dave_k wrote:Recently increased our umbrella from $1M to $2M, cost went from about $200/y to $300/y. Have 3 cars, a boat, and 2 houses, one of which is a vacation rental.

We went up to $5M on the umbrella when we purchased and started renting out our future retirement home, and at the same time had a teenager start driving.

gas

Did you double check that you don't need a separate umbrella policy for the rental?
Some "personal home" policies won't cover that.

RM

Thank you for ResearchMed for suggesting that I double check!

When we bought the second house a few years ago I had verified with the insurance agent that it would be covered by the umbrella as a rental. I checked again (having forgotten I had done that, and just found the email thread while looking into it afterwards), and it turns out that it's not covered because it's a short term (vacation) rental, but the original agent hadn't made any distinction. I'll have to get a "premises only" umbrella policy from another company just for that property because State Farm won't do it at all, and excludes it from our main umbrella policy while covering everything else. It will cost about another $300/y for $2M, but it's worth it because that's one of our most likely sources of liability, and will be a write-off against the income from the property.

I suppose I should shop around for a single $2M umbrella policy that will cover everything including short term rentals, to see if that's cheaper overall, but the most important thing is to get something in place now for the rental.

lazylarry

Post by lazylarry » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:12 pm

What are things we should look for in an umbrella coverage policies? Or are they generally the same in terms of what they cover? And the best (cheapest) way to get one is just to call around to different insurance agencies (I've heard folks having it through Geico, State Farm, etc)?
Asking questions: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6212 | My profile: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=86026

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:50 am

Me too.

I'm paying almost $1,200 for $5 million. Wife and I are early/mid 50's with one adult daughter (21) on our auto policy and a second adult daughter (23) living at home, but with own auto insurance. Own one home, four cars, inground pool, but no motorcycles or boats or anything like that. I'd say very straightforward. Live in NJ.

So I called AAA (as they were referenced here several times as being a lot lower than what I am paying). They did come back lower - $885 for $5 million. Insurer would be Stillwater. Never heard of Stillwater. Did a quick check of AM Best which shows Stillwater, although A- rated, is a small insurer (financial assets of $100M-$250M). By comparison my current insurer is CNA (Continental Casualty Company) and is A rated with financial assets exceeding $2 billion (public company with market cap of $12 billion). CNA is also the insurer my former employer used for D&O insurance. Surely Board members not interested in taking risks. So if CNA is good enough for them, I am loathe to change unless insurer of similar size and rating.

I then contacted NJ Manufacturers (where I have my home and auto's). They came back at $1,350 for $5 million. So more than I am paying.

Seems I cannot get down to $500-$600 as others on the forum are paying.

sharpjm

Post by sharpjm » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Thanks for the reminder. Just signed up for one through Progressive yesterday after reading this post. I had inquired a few months ago after an uncle recommended but I never followed through. $175/yr for $1M no kids, no house, 1 vehicle.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:24 pm

sharpjm wrote:Thanks for the reminder. Just signed up for one through Progressive yesterday after reading this post. I had inquired a few months ago after an uncle recommended but I never followed through. $175/yr for $1M no kids, no house, 1 vehicle.

I've also been thinking about getting an umbrella policy after reading through this thread. I ran some quotes with USAA: $102 for $1 million and about $160 for $2 million coverage.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:17 pm

A while back, I got some quotes, but they varied widely the information requested as well as the pricing. Some about $100/$1M and some 3 times the cost so I didn't sign up at the time. I even recall an argument with a rep about why I was inquiring about higher coverage amounts. Was very strange to me, and I assume they weren't used to selling umbrella policies or were just badly trained.

Anyway, after neglecting it for too long, I was offered a group policy through work that was price competitive. I don't know the differences from an individual policy, but figured it was inexpensive enough and better than nothing. It's on my long procrastination list to review the policy and get come competitive quotes, but that's for another time.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:42 pm

$5 mil. I'm retired, so a substantial loss would be a disaster. $1 mil doesn't go very far these days if someone has major medical bills. Even $5 million is not enough if someone needs major medical care for the rest of their lives, but there is some reasonable compromise.

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:38 pm

MikeG62 wrote:

Me too.

I'm paying almost $1,200 for $5 million. Wife and I are early/mid 50's with one adult daughter (21) on our auto policy and a second adult daughter (23) living at home, but with own auto insurance. Own one home, four cars, inground pool, but no motorcycles or boats or anything like that. I'd say very straightforward. Live in NJ.

So I called AAA (as they were referenced here several times as being a lot lower than what I am paying). They did come back lower - $885 for $5 million. Insurer would be Stillwater. Never heard of Stillwater. Did a quick check of AM Best which shows Stillwater, although A- rated, is a small insurer (financial assets of $100M-$250M). By comparison my current insurer is CNA (Continental Casualty Company) and is A rated with financial assets exceeding $2 billion (public company with market cap of $12 billion). CNA is also the insurer my former employer used for D&O insurance. Surely Board members not interested in taking risks. So if CNA is good enough for them, I am loathe to change unless insurer of similar size and rating.

I then contacted NJ Manufacturers (where I have my home and auto's). They came back at $1,350 for $5 million. So more than I am paying.

Well, some of that is probably the HCOL, but you've also got 4 vehicles, 3 drivers, and a pool. I'm pretty sure that each of those items pushes it up a little more. That, plus you're among the small minority that wants 5M, and not just 1 or 2M. At some point, they start to worry that the fact that people are willing to pay extra for the really big policies implies more risk, and for them, more risk means they demand more compensation.

jsimon1

Post by jsimon1 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:26 pm

MikeG62 wrote:

Me too.

Try Amica, their umbrella's are typically inexpensive (if you call them quote your homeowners policy with a $1M liability limit, this will lower your umbrella quote significantly). Also, in NJ Geico is EXTREMELY competitive (on the auto and umbrella side, not on the home side).

Alskar

Post by Alskar » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:13 pm

JoMoney wrote:Outside of bankruptcy, it's up to state, most states do... some are more clear and absolute regarding it, here's a state by state rundown citing relevent statute in each state:
http://moranknobel.com/news/State_Laws_ ... g_IRAs.pdf
Thanks for the information. It's interesting (to me anyway) that Nevada exempts traditonal IRA's but not Roth IRA's from bankruptcy proceedings.

In any case, it appears that once again White Coat Investor was absolutely correct.
Lagom är bäst

Brost2355

Post by Brost2355 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:55 pm

New Jersey
Travelers Insurance - Auto (500k limits) and Homeowners. 2 Cars, no pool or kids

We have 2 Million Umbrella $331 a year (1 million would have been $189 a year)